what are the differences between 10mm and 11mm systems

1975 Kombi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2011 Touareg TDI, 1992 D Jetta, 1992 TD Jetta, 2001 NB TDI, 1992 Golf coupe D
I'm heading to the scrapyard and going to grab some coolant glow plugs to fix my heat issue and was wondering what is different from the auto vs manual ALH systems that I should grab.

Injection pump for sure 11mm.
Injectors??
And anything else I should grab??

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Anything you can get. I've never regreted having extra spare parts, even ones I've never had to use.
Injectors from the 11mm auto IP are smaller so no real advantage in taking/paying for those.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Injectors are handy to have in case you need a set built, you won't be down a car. Past that, maybe turbo/intake if they both look OK. Having a spare intake that's clean is nice.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Part of the 'system' on an 11mm car is the fuel cooler on the passenger side.
Why not grab that?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Get what you need, leave it for someone who needs it and dont horde parts, If you do grab the 11mm pump post it here for your cost plus 10% and buyer pays shipping, otherwise your a hording monster and the reason why i show up, the TDI's are stripped and usless when i need parts.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
So his time to remove the pump, fuel to drive there, time to post the ad, and time to package/ship it are only worth 10%? Yeah right.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Yeah. I'll take what I want, thank you.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
We’re all that’s left keeping these old rigs going. It makes no sense to leave the last of the oem parts rusting in the junk yard. Giving good deals here is not about money unless you want it to be. But then why vw? The Chinese manufacturing already has that angle cornered.

1975 Kombi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2011 Touareg TDI, 1992 D Jetta, 1992 TD Jetta, 2001 NB TDI, 1992 Golf coupe D
Ya if I leave stuff it get crushed. These scrap yards don't sit on the cars. In for a few weeks and then crushed no matter what is left on. Oddly a lot of mint MK4 coming in and are crushed very quickly. Depends how the guy is feeling and once in the back can't be bought or brought out. My kid and I were there one day and a mint MK2 came in and we bagged the guy to sell the car whole but he refused. I have never seen one so mint, like it was in a garage for 20 years and then just called the scrap yard to pick it up.

I would like to grab stock stuff to add to my 2003 manual ALH.. So what would the best parts be for an ALH.

-manual trans injectors
-auto injection pump 11mm
-fuel cooler

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
The fuel cooler add on isn't a bad thing for the really always warm/hot parts of the world. Probably not something most of us northern guys want/need but has some value to some.
Oil cooler is easy to remove and do on occasion fail.
EGR/ASV assembly.
Fans, AC compresssor, etc
I've always had quite a stockpile from various builds. Never pulled anything from the salvage yard except "complete" vehicle.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
cylinder heads (or just the whole motor if they're one that says $200 for any complete 4cyl)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
then just grab whole motors if the timing belt's still on there and they'll turn a full two revolutions

1975 Kombi

Veteran Member
TDI
So are the 11mm systems have bigger injectors to match the pump??

CtG

TDI
2002 Jetta 5-spd Sedan
They have smaller injectors with a bigger pump. A little odd, but that's the way they went.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
I've asked the local pick a part place to sell me a whole ALH car for parts. They refused. They would rather crush it after it has been picked through.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Maybe ask them how much to pick the parts you want.
Or tell them you will let them have it back after your done.
If they do not have a title to the car they may not be able to sell it to you.