Is there a better windshield?

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Folks -

Going to have to replace my windshield again. 3rd in 4 years.

Does anybody sell a better quality windshield out there? Or do they all come from the same supplier?

Thanks!

Jud

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This is why I don't bother. Unless it is so bad I cannot see properly of course. But a small crack, I let it go as long as possible.

I would probably be replacing a windshield in all of my cars every year otherwise.

Not aware of an upgraded one. You may find some installer that gives a good warranty on them, though.

Nyk

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I have to replace the windshield on my car before the end of November so it will pass the safety inspection. I've had it quoted by several different places, ranging from $320 to $402.50.

I can only assume that the $80 difference is a variation of the glass they're installing, or what kind of sealant they're using around the edges.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Folks -

Going to have to replace my windshield again. 3rd in 4 years.

Does anybody sell a better quality windshield out there? Or do they all come from the same supplier?

Thanks!

Jud[/QUOTE

]https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Golf-Jetta-GTI-GLI-MK4-4-Euro-Sport-Front-Up-Strut-Bar-Tower-Brace-Stress-FK/332415550943

You need one of these, alleviates some of the chassis flexing.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I have to replace the windshield on my car before the end of November so it will pass the safety inspection. I've had it quoted by several different places, ranging from $320 to $402.50.

I can only assume that the $80 difference is a variation of the glass they're installing, or what kind of sealant they're using around the edges.
More likely difference is shop hourly rate. May or may not represent difference in skill. It's been a while, but those prices seem high. (240+USD), my last one was 130, maybe 10 years ago.
DDG who makes car windshields
I also see they make a polycarbonite windscreen for race cars.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
What's been going wrong with yours?

I've had new glass that seems to get pitted very quickly. Even my '16 that had 10k when I bought it with presumably factory glass was pretty bad.

bryanmabbott

TDI
'02 VW Golf Manual; '13 Touareg TDI
I have not had good experience with Safelite. The two windshields I got from them were both wavy and distorted even though they were made by St Gobain Sekurit. I suspect they buy the factory rejects. Where I live, I use Penske and the windshield I have had on there for the past three years is made by Fuyao which I was apprehensive about because they are a Chinese company. However, they are made in the USA which is a positive but it is totally clear of defects and distortions, fits well, and has not pitted.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
In my area I get rocks thrown up onto the windshield. But I had the same windshield since new for thirteen years and it was pitted and work but never cracked even when hit hard by rocks.

So I will look into Penske!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
NO
but there is such a thing as a "clear bra" and you can have them for you windshield. they are not cheep, about $250 to $300, self healing, but only good for about 2 years MAX, most only good for 1 year and they dont have that PERFECT wipe when it rains, but its fairly decent and for my dads 2018 Porsche Cayenne, at a price tag of $1,400 for the windshield (thats OEM glass not some POS aftermarket) not even the labor. YEA, we have them every 1 year.
find a guy to install them cheep and keep buying aftermarket glass.
You can buff the glass back to almost new but its not for filling in holes and will make sand blasting pitting effect only 1/2 as noticeable.

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I was told by a Safelite guy to carry a windshield repair kit in my glove compartment and pull over and use it immediately if I got hit by a big rock.

If anyone has had any success with this method, please comment.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
It MIGHT work.

It's basically cyanoacrylate (Krazy Glue) and the premise is that it gets into the crack and stops it from spreading. Maybe. The CORRECT way to stop that sort of thing is to drill a stop hole but you can't in a composite windshield, never mind that you can't do that with tempered glass in any event. Windshields are laminated; once the integrity is lost odds are not good.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I was told by a Safelite guy to carry a windshield repair kit in my glove compartment and pull over and use it immediately if I got hit by a big rock.

If anyone has had any success with this method, please comment.
Have done it for years...on different cars...same day is usually ok.
Mostly it has to do with changes in temp that will cause it to spread...some cars do have more body flex too...that can help the spread...
Keeping it warm during the winter with steady heat helps prevent cracks and chips.....and fixing chips before you try to start up the next day from cold is important....one issue, most consumer kits us UV cured glue...so you might not get a good cure unless you do it direct sunlight and over 40° f or so.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
This is why I don't bother. Unless it is so bad I cannot see properly of course. But a small crack, I let it go as long as possible.
I would probably be replacing a windshield in all of my cars every year otherwise...
I'm going on 3 years with a small crack along the bottom edge of mine. It'll get changed some day, I guess.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
My touareg's windshield just cracked from top to bottom in nearly a straight vertical line. That's not an inexpensive one, either :( I'm going to let it go as long as possible. I only changed my bug's because I wanted to tint it and the shop wouldn't do it unless I replaced it.

mk116v

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
When I got my TDI last fall, It needed a windshield badly. I got several quotes that ranged from $250 to $310. I couldn't believe it. Just a couple years ago I had a windshield replaced on my 83 jetta, $164. About 2 years ago on my 97 jetta, $185. I finally got a hold of a small family run glass place and told them that I work at a mechanic shop, which I do , and they did it for $180. They told me that regularly they charge about $230 but since we were a business, we got a discount. I can't really comment on the quality of my new glass, but it seems fine. I'm happy with it. I also have a 96 gti vr6 that needs a windshield, They also quoted me $180 for that one with the blue tint on the top.

Last edited: