TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Thanks I’ve been sporting JR 2.5 race tune since right before 2.8 came out. My wife’s X5 has 2.0 on all stock hardware and both have been adding grins for several years now :)

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Thanks I’ve been sporting JR 2.5 race tune since right before 2.8 came out. My wife’s X5 has 2.0 on all stock hardware and both have been adding grins for several years now :)
Been running JR 2.8 (with all supporting mods) and it makes 311 whp. I was expecting a lot more. The car is sluggish in low and midrange compared to the stock tune. Drive-ability is worse than stock :(

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Been running JR 2.8 (with all supporting mods) and it makes 311 whp. I was expecting a lot more. The car is sluggish in low and midrange compared to the stock tune. Drive-ability is worse than stock :(

Wow that sucks. Total opposite experience for me. It runs like a cheetah with a hotfoot.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Wow, suckage. Sorry to hear.

BMW seems to have their USA spec diesels set up pretty well in stock form. I have driven a 328d sedan and a 328d wagon as loaner cars and I found them to be surprisingly torquey. Overall driveability was better than I expected due to the torque from the 2.0L N47 engine. Getting 46MPG while haulin' ar$e on the highway came as a bonus. The only reason why I won't own a 3-series is I don't fit in them very well. Too tight for me, even if I were as thin as a rail. I fit into my Mk4 TDIs better.

I already traveled down the TDI modding slippery slope during my years of TDI ownership. I haven't had much urge to mod my BMW diesels...yet. They seem to be harder to mod, fewer upgrade options are available for them, and are a lot more pricey to fix if I break them. I'm keeping mine bone stock...for now. :)

2014 535dx @ 122k miles.
2012 X5 35d @ 213k miles.
:cool:

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I find the 335d very comfortable and I'm not thin, or even medium. :p I test drove a 535d and just found it to be too much of a boat for me. It is smooth though. I find the 335 a lot sportier, which is what I was looking for. Even better now with Bilstein B8's, Eibach Pros, M3 control arms, and non run-flats.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had the BMW Advanced Car Eye 2.0 accessory installed in my 535d. I'm still playing with the settings in the smartphone app. The camera system connects to the phone via Wi-Fi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DblyU-dQSl0

Are you able to catch license plates with it at night? That's always a difficult grab with the exposure of HIDs on reflective plates in the dark. If it can do that, I might be sold at <$500. Looks nice and OEM, if a tad big.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I know people like in car cameras, but I'm hard pressed to see any real reason for having one.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Wow, suckage. Sorry to hear.

BMW seems to have their USA spec diesels set up pretty well in stock form. I have driven a 328d sedan and a 328d wagon as loaner cars and I found them to be surprisingly torquey. Overall driveability was better than I expected due to the torque from the 2.0L N47 engine. Getting 46MPG while haulin' ar$e on the highway came as a bonus. The only reason why I won't own a 3-series is I don't fit in them very well. Too tight for me, even if I were as thin as a rail. I fit into my Mk4 TDIs better.

I already traveled down the TDI modding slippery slope during my years of TDI ownership. I haven't had much urge to mod my BMW diesels...yet. They seem to be harder to mod, fewer upgrade options are available for them, and are a lot more pricey to fix if I break them. I'm keeping mine bone stock...for now. :)

2014 535dx @ 122k miles.
2012 X5 35d @ 213k miles.
I really wanted to keep mine stock, but all the emissions stuff crapped out in very rapid order within 6 months of owning it. A DPF is $2600 for just that one part. $2600!! I miss the days of Tdi ownership. The engines were dead simple, only the car around it was a turd, lol.

Diesels are great, when they work right, which is rarely. Mechanics are intimidated and no one will work on them :( I'm already happily married, so I can't marry my car to spend umpteen hours on it like some people on the forums are and do.

Last edited:

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I really wanted to keep mine stock, but all the emissions stuff crapped out in very rapid order within 6 months of owning it. A DPF is $2600 for just that one part. $2600!! I miss the days of Tdi ownership. The engines were dead simple, only the car around it was a turd, lol.

Diesels are great, when they work right, which is rarely. Mechanics are intimidated and no one will work on them :( I'm already happily married, so I can't marry my car to spend umpteen hours on it like some people on the forums are and do.
Same story as mine - 500 miles from home 2 weeks after purchase I get the dreaded red tail pipe juice warning with a 200 mile countdown to no start, along with a DTC for cat efficiency. I get the 335d to the BMW dealer I bought my X5 from (St Louis) with 7 miles left before starting is disabled.

I get a phone call from the service manager a few days later with an estimate of $3600 to replace the DPF fluid reservoir to see if that might fix it :eek:
I told them to get stuffed and drove my Powerstroke there the following weekend and picked up the car, sent off the ECU to the Atlanta area and 3 days later I'm back on the road with loads more torque and HP and peace of mind that I'll never be stranded in another state because of a false reading from an O2 sensor.

I bought the car on Christmas Eve in 2016 with exactly 50k miles and a clean but complete carfax. 8 months after my incident I get a letter from BMW stating the emissions warranty to cover the DPF system was now extended to 120k :rolleyes:

Last edited:

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta 5sp TDI, 2010 bmw x5d, 81 1z MTDi Caddy, 97 jetta tdi
Hate to hijack this thread, not sure where else to post this question though. My 03 Jetta got rear ended last week and the insurance is going to total it so im looking into getting a 335d as a replacement for it. My main question is what is too many miles on these cars? Im finding a few in the 150-170k milage range with a very attractive price. Just wondering if anyones had much experience with these with high milage. My moms x5 has 130k works perfect and not much problems to speak of since we bought it with 110k on it (i tuned and deleted it at that point).

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
My X5 35d has 90k and my 335d has 124k. No issues since tunes on both at about 50k on each other than my 335d had a glow plug go bad at 90k so I replaced all 6 since the intake had to come off.

I used my 335d as my daily driver for work traveling the entire midwest, but I accepted a promotion that has me flying all over USA, some Canada and some Mexico so I will be relegating the 335d to spare car duty and buying a new F150 in a few months to run back and forth to the airport.

There are a few folks here with lots more miles on their BMW diesels than me.

BTW - what part of OK are you from? I lived in Wagoner and Muskogee for many many years.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hate to hijack this thread, not sure where else to post this question though. My 03 Jetta got rear ended last week and the insurance is going to total it so im looking into getting a 335d as a replacement for it. My main question is what is too many miles on these cars? Im finding a few in the 150-170k milage range with a very attractive price. Just wondering if anyones had much experience with these with high milage. My moms x5 has 130k works perfect and not much problems to speak of since we bought it with 110k on it (i tuned and deleted it at that point).

If it's not deleted, be sure to budget $1000 for CBU removal.

Highly recommend buying one already deleted or going for CBU then delete as quickly as possible, and you'll have a car as reliable as an old ALH and a decade newer. Emissions equipment on a 335d can turn into a nightmare as the miles pile on, so (weighing any moral objections you may have) I say go deleted or don't buy one.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Maybe not quite as reliable. Interior electrical items, infotainment, etc. are a little more complex and more expensive to repair than on an ALH. But if you can pass state inspection with a deleted vehicle that's the way to go. I don't know if I'd want one with high miles that wasn't deleted.

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok yea I have a problem with deleting stuff. Its almost addictive to put to straight thru pipes in! Oklahoma is fine with it so I dont mind. Thats why im looking into a higher milage one so i dont have so much wrapped up in it, that ill still have room to add an extra 3k into it for maintenance and deletes. Ive been adding 3k onto all the prices ive been finding. I think ill go with the BPC stage 3 tune vs the JR 2.8. I know i have to add Water injection in with the BPC option but its worth it to me since the JR tune is +108hp and BPC is +151hp. Im only 19 as well so not out to spend a killing on the car lol.

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
BTW, Dogdots Im in the mannford (west of tulsa) area where the legendary Ray_G resides. He' been a great mentor and awesome friend.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If you boost power dramatically in a 335d the transmission is a weak link. My own advice would be to not go too crazy with power mods on an older car, as it may bring the transmission to an early death. But a delete and good tune would be a great idea, in my opinion.

I just picked up my 335d at my guru's after it received its 60K service. I had him do a transmission service and the car shifts noticeably better.

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok yea the transmission service is definitely important. Its near the top in my 3k worth of tune/delete/maintenance list lol

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm surprised California hasn't crushed that car and jailed the owner. That thing kills polar bears and babies.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
How's parts availability for that car, Dan? I've always liked those but would be afraid I would be stuck without a parts source.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
How's parts availability for that car, Dan? I've always liked those but would be afraid I would be stuck without a parts source.

The running bits are standard e28, so very easy to find.
The M21-diesel-specific bits can be hard to find. Some things like coolant hoses are NLA. I had to get injector nozzles from Germany, etc.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
(snip)
4 wire lighting (brakes, running, turning lights) using Tekonsha Zero Contact kit--this can not short. It is fault protected but does not have the fault recovery modes of the Invisihitch module
(snip)
Just to share with the group, I did my hitch install this past weekend (2014 535dx). I went with the kit from Stealth Hitch instead of Invisihitch/Execuhitch because I liked the fact that I could use my own hitch ball (or change it when it gets buggered up). Other than that small detail, I couldn't really find any difference between the two kits. The folks on the phone were very nice and patient with my newbie questions. They gave me a small discount because I supplied my own wiring kit.

I used the Tekonsha four-pin kit mentioned in a previous post and (knock on wood) it went in just fine. The four-pin connector doesn't have a lot of wire, so I mounted the module under the left tail light (there's a little room under there) and ran it out of the grommet beneath the tail light. There was a nice free spot on the + side of the battery to connect to and a nice ground right under the tail light. Honestly, it couldn't have been much easier for a ham-fisted amateur like me. ;)

Couple other notes:
1. Once i got the bumper cover off and all the parts exposed, I noticed that my gravel guard and TPS antenna part were shaped differently than the ones in the instructions, but I was able to make it all work. I only had to trim the gravel guard and was able to leave everything else intact, which helped in buttoning everything back up pretty securely.
2. Note that with Stealth Hitch, you lose your rear towing eye mount as this is integral to the bumper support that you replace. However, you now have the trailer safety chain loops to grab. I'm not crazy about this but can't change it. (Note to Stealth - here's an improvement opportunity!) I note that my factory bumper support was beginning to rust along the bottom edge.
3. If you are considering doing this to your car, do yourself a favor and watch the video on youtube with the white 2016 535 for clues about how to disassemble and not to break stuff (it helped me a great deal).
4. I can't help wondering why two companies making similar hitch products are both located in the Atlanta area. Maybe one is an offshoot of the other?

Anyway, acid test coming up this weekend. Stay tuned for any disaster updates! :D

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Just to share with the group, I did my hitch install this past weekend (2014 535dx). I went with the kit from Stealth Hitch instead of Invisihitch/Execuhitch because I liked the fact that I could use my own hitch ball (or change it when it gets buggered up). Other than that small detail, I couldn't really find any difference between the two kits. The folks on the phone were very nice and patient with my newbie questions. They gave me a small discount because I supplied my own wiring kit.
I used the Tekonsha four-pin kit mentioned in a previous post and (knock on wood) it went in just fine. The four-pin connector doesn't have a lot of wire, so I mounted the module under the left tail light (there's a little room under there) and ran it out of the grommet beneath the tail light. There was a nice free spot on the + side of the battery to connect to and a nice ground right under the tail light. Honestly, it couldn't have been much easier for a ham-fisted amateur like me. ;)
Couple other notes:
1. Once i got the bumper cover off and all the parts exposed, I noticed that my gravel guard and TPS antenna part were shaped differently than the ones in the instructions, but I was able to make it all work. I only had to trim the gravel guard and was able to leave everything else intact, which helped in buttoning everything back up pretty securely.
2. Note that with Stealth Hitch, you lose your rear towing eye mount as this is integral to the bumper support that you replace. However, you now have the trailer safety chain loops to grab. I'm not crazy about this but can't change it. (Note to Stealth - here's an improvement opportunity!) I note that my factory bumper support was beginning to rust along the bottom edge.
3. If you are considering doing this to your car, do yourself a favor and watch the video on youtube with the white 2016 535 for clues about how to disassemble and not to break stuff (it helped me a great deal).
4. I can't help wondering why two companies making similar hitch products are both located in the Atlanta area. Maybe one is an offshoot of the other?
Anyway, acid test coming up this weekend. Stay tuned for any disaster updates! :D
Nicely done. I'm getting my trailer brake controller wired, routing auxillary 12VDC power to trailer and doing the lighting. I have done some light towing of 1440 lbs with the Invisihitch at 187 lbs tongue loading plus load leveling torque applied, and it tows like a luxury vehicle. It's uncanny how smooth and controlled it is.

BTW: Invisihitch sells a universal, class III 2" square tube female adapter that you can plug any appropriate item into. I don't remember the add-on pricing, but it wasn't much. They also include a hitch ball and adapter that fits in it with your purchase (you specify the ball size you want). The female adapter is rated for 400 lbs tongue loading, IIRC. I'm towing with this until I get a custom stinger made for my Hensley hitch.

The only problem I have with their 2" square tube female adapter is it scrapes my very steep driveway on some approach angles--when I don't apply load leveling. When I dial in appropriate load leveling first, it's not a problem. But it does slightly complicate hook up (my driveway slopes up immediately as I exit garage). Other than this minor gripe it's great.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
BTW: Invisihitch sells a universal, class III 2" square tube female adapter that you can plug any appropriate item into. I don't remember the add-on pricing, but it wasn't much.
Ditto with Stealth, however included with the 2" receiver were numerous warnings not to use it to tow. I'm now set up for a bike rack down the road. :)

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Ditto with Stealth, however included with the 2" receiver were numerous warnings not to use it to tow. I'm now set up for a bike rack down the road. :)
Found out today Invisihitch (which had acquired Execuhitch) went out of business. Stealthhitch bought up the IP, trademarks, and website, but revised the hard parts (male & female) to stainless steel. The Stealth hitch guy I talked to used to work for IH, but was really pooh-poohing them, lol.

Now I would like more accessories, but they went out of business and sold all their materials and Work-In-Process, supposedly.

:mad: Crap, can anyone run by their shop and pick up a trunk full of adapters? lol. It's only worth scrap value to them but worth a ton to existing IH/EH owners!!

Invisihitch.com even re-directs to Stealthhitch.com. Buyer beware, as these guys could also go out of business and disappear altogether at any time. Ugh. Sucks to be captive to a tiny, niche vendor base. IMO, too many people buy the cheap Uhaul or what-not instead of shopping for value, leaving thin margins and shallow markets for these vastly better engineered products.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For anyone interested, I successfully did my first mini road trip with a trailer this past weekend moving both kids home from college. My 535dx was rock solid, particularly when the trailer was loaded down. My mpg's went straight to hell - normally ~35 but with a 5x8 Uhaul trailer I got a gasser-like ~23 mpg. No big surprise here; I expected the mpg's to take a hit.

No issues on hills, accelerating to highway speeds, nor stopping from those speeds (but as a novice I was extra careful while driving with the trailer). I brought spare tires, tools, a jack, and anything else I could think of to be prepared for mishaps, and to Mr. Murphy's credit, nothing bad happened!

Next thing will be the acquisition of a bike rack and possibly a platform for the receiver attachment. Stay tuned!

Some photos:
installed hitch

trailer (mostly) empty prior to trip

fully loaded on the way home

Last edited:

rparnel1

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold -- '05 Passat. 2014 BMW 328D
Started driving my 2014 328d on my 60 mile roundtrip work commute, since I got the wife a new X5. Got 48.4 MPG on the display for a tank average, which was a personal best. Was a little lower at 47.5 when I hand calculated it, but is still good. Just had to share!