MT oil

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I am the new owner of an '11 JSW 6MT. 55K miles.

I assume the trans oil is original. Oil has been changed. Brake fluid is being flushed before I pick it up.

Should I do the trans as well? If so, recommendations?

I don't see the MT mentioned in the maintenance schedule. And yes, I did search for it.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I assume the trans oil is original. Oil has been changed. Brake fluid is being flushed before I pick it up.
I don't see the MT mentioned in the maintenance schedule. And yes, I did search for it.
I did mine at 70K miles. If those 55K were lots of city driving it would be a good idea to change it out. Otherwise you can wait a little longer. I would do it anyway to get a baseline with future maintenance.

There isn't brass anywhere in that transmission so you can use synthetic GL5 fluids without any issues. The OE fluid is pretty thin, however I used a thicker gear oil because it gets to be 100F+ where I live. I did not have any shifting issues with thicker gear oil.

Delvac 1 75w90
Renewable Lubricants 75w90 or 80w90

OE type 75w thin oil

https://www.blauparts.com/vw-manual-transmission-fluid-mtf-3-gearbox-1l.html

Or the Redline MT-LV may also work well. Another thin oil for max MPGs.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
At 55K miles there is no need to change MT oil on a manual transmission. There is no call out in the maintenance schedule to change the MT oil because VW claims that the MT oil is "lifetime" and as long as there is no evidence of leaking you are good to go. One vary good reason to not skip doing required under engine inspections during scheduled maintenance.

Given that, real world experience says to change the MT oil at 100K miles or when the clutch is replaced. For long transmission life and to not risk damaging your transmission do not experiment on your transmission by using the wrong oil in it, only use VW recommended OEM fluid but do not buy it at the dealers, go here for a good price that is actually a better price than the over priced and questionable for your car RedLine products. https://www.idparts.com/speed-manual-transmission-fluid-p-4701.html

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I suppose you'd rather hear something like, "It's the greatest thing since sliced white bread!!!" Right? OK:
It's the greatest thing since sliced white bread!!!

Cheers,

PH

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I suppose you'd rather hear something like, "It's the greatest thing since sliced white bread!!!" Right? OK:
It's the greatest thing since sliced white bread!!!

Cheers,

PH
Wow!!!!!!!!have a bad day today. Nothing empirical about that statement either. :D

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)

A GL-4 full synthetic gear lubricant worth researching also:

BG Syncro Shift II
Specs

I have used in my Passat manual transmission for the last five years. No notchiness or difficulty to shift in cold weather (limited experience while traveling).