Show what you tow!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

I love your trailer and the things you do with it!
Thanks! I'm starting to fix up my cargo trailer. Someone decided the weak aluminum fenders made great seats and bent one.

I replaced them with heavy plastic parts by Fulton. They're quite strong, but I still don't want anyone sitting on them. The "NO STEP" stickers were ineffective (can't fix stupid), so I'll try these bird deterrents that I already have on the baby trailer...

The black fenders stand out a bit against a silver backdrop. So I painted the upper and lower trim to tie-in the black. I'll eventually apply some sort of black decals. Here's how the trailer sits now...

I also made a few minor improvements to the interior...

I'm on the verge of installing electrical and ventilation systems to make the trailer suitable as a sleeper. After that, I'll have it wrapped to match my car. :)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I replaced them with heavy plastic parts by Fulton. They're quite strong, but I still don't want anyone sitting on them. The "NO STEP" stickers were ineffective (can't fix stupid), so I'll try these bird deterrents that I already have on the baby trailer...

I think that will get the point across. Nice looking project.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
Recommended brake controller? MK4 Golf.
Any of the proportional controllers would work fine. I use the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller on the Touareg and Tiguan. It works very well, but the main feature I like is the installation. The main controller can be tucked away behind the dash with only a knob to mount in the dash. Redarc sells various faceplates for the knob. On the Tiguan, I removed the dash light controller (I keep it a maximum anyway). I then sourced a spare dash lite controller, gutted it and epoxied a Redarc faceplate to it. Then I just snapped it in place of the dash light and it looks like it should be there.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I use a Tekonsha P3 controller which has momentum monitoring and a bunch of other things.

Mine is mounted within reach on the bottom of my dash so I can reach the adjustments on the front and the activating lever on the bottom if I need to apply the trailer brakes without touching the car brakes.

TD Donovan, That looks like a fun build. How about the weight in the end, any predictions? What are you going to pull it with?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Thanks,

I like that interior - all of the options, either rubber floor or the E-track or the carpet. NICE!
I've had to make some big changes. I took the walls down to do the electrical work, but found a few leaks. I also found some shoddy workmanship on the floor. So I pulled it up. From there, I decided to work on the roof to address the leaks. The roof is stripped clean and awaiting good weather for a seal-job that'll be top notch. I hope to do the things to rehab this trailer that the manufacturers probably should do during production. :)

Here's how the trailer sits now:

I'll do a write-up when I've finished it all and share a link here.

Scott

Last edited:

StevenR

TDI
2002 Jetta
Serious Towing

I'm prepping (with a cargo trailer) to pull a twin axle travel trailer with my '02 Jetta. So far I have a Kerma 165 HP kit, stout clutch, coil spring air bags and a couple other mods. I can accelerate well up a 6% grade in 4th gear at 4,000 altitude (.658 5th gear, nope) with 3,800 lbs in tow. Heads turn for sure. If I could figure out how to post a photo and a video clip here, I would.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I'm prepping (with a cargo trailer) to pull a twin axle travel trailer with my '02 Jetta. So far I have a Kerma 165 HP kit, stout clutch, coil spring air bags and a couple other mods. I can accelerate well up a 6% grade in 4th gear at 4,000 altitude (.658 5th gear, nope) with 3,800 lbs in tow. Heads turn for sure. If I could figure out how to post a photo and a video clip here, I would.
Subbed for this. Haha. Awesome.

I bet people will look twice when they see that engine pumping juice and boost tugging that setup

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
I'm prepping (with a cargo trailer) to pull a twin axle travel trailer with my '02 Jetta.

The issue that I repeatedly have when towing box boxes with the TDI is people pass the trailer and immediately move over in front of the trailer into the spot where you are. Horn seems to make it worse, swerving isn’t brilliant when towing a largish trailer, so I recommend brakes.

Just something to be ready for.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Took the Grizzly out for ~35miles of 4x4 trails

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I want a 4wd atv, but they're just sooo huge.

Unnecessary!

I have a small 94 Honda 200 type ii four Trax utility and it's perfect size, just wish the front wheels had some power occasionally.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH

Unnecessary!

I have a small 94 Honda 200 type ii four Trax utility and it's perfect size, just wish the front wheels had some power occasionally.
do they make lockers for them, or do they even have rear differentials?

Easy to get a lot more traction in the snow outta rwd cars welding the rear end

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI

Unnecessary!

I agree for the most part. This one is actually on a pretty small frame. It's a 2008 450cc and at the time it was the same size as the 350 2wd. Also the smallest 4x4 they made with IRS and lockers. I think now the smallest grizzly you can get is like 660 and it's on a HUGE frame.

I think if I were buying new today and they didn't have a small 4x4, a 2wd with a locker and winch would get through most anything.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
My little rig is a rear straight axle.

Turf eater making sharp turns.

I modified the sprocket guard on swing arm to accommodate oversized gearing, combined with chains on the rear tires its got some grunt for tugging and hauling weight, slowly crawling through the woods in low gear. If you gambled floating a valve you might make 3mph in 1st gear.

It's got a winch up front, and 2 car batteries in the cargo carrier in the back. A relay tied into ignition so when ign off you can't run the main battery dead for starting., key on its all connected to charge.

I've shafted myself a few times on that one....

Last edited:

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Speaking of Show What You Tow... Last summer I rigged this for towing four down!

The first several photos were taken while I was rigging the wagon in FL to pull behind the Winnebago. I used LED bulbs off eBay mounted in the rear fog light sockets and wired to the coach using a Harbor Freight trailer wiring harness wire set. (It was an affordable quad wire setup,and plenty long for the task) The receiver height wasn't close enough to what my late father used to tow his 2014 Chevy Traverse, so I had to determine what "drop receiver" to buy. The last photo is the wagon after I hitched it up to solo tow from Maine back to Florida. (The wife drove the VW to Maine following the RV which was towing a U-Haul 6x12, then flew home to get back to work). Prior to this last photo, we'd towed the car maybe ~200 miles. Apparently, I have some confidence in my abilities... It tows beautifully!!

For anyone wondering, the base plate in the VW bumper is a Blue Ox. The tow bar is a Roadmaster Stirling with Blue Ox adapter ends. We run an RVi Brake3 in the wagon to depress the VW brakes in the event of a breakaway or panic stop. Most of this setup was left to us by my late father who loved to travel and see new places. It seemed appropriate to continue this legacy...

At some point, I'll rig the wife's (new to us) 2013 CPO JSW as a tow dinghy.

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Can anyone suggest a summer tire that doesn't feel hard or over inflated?

Any small imperfections in the road feels like I'm hitting half inch stones. It's ridiculous.

These stock ones are almost smoked, and I hate them. More worn tires sound worse anyways but overall I'm not impressed with these oem....

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
At some point, I'll rig the wife's (new to us) 2013 CPO JSW as a tow dinghy.
Read the owners manual closely. There's supposed to be some special tasks to perform for flat towing a car with the dsg.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Can anyone suggest a summer tire that doesn't feel hard or over inflated?

Any small imperfections in the road feels like I'm hitting half inch stones. It's ridiculous.

These stock ones are almost smoked, and I hate them. More worn tires sound worse anyways but overall I'm not impressed with these oem....

I would try the Pilot Super Sport replacement; Pilot Sport 4s or the conti extreme contact DW. iirc the Conti is known to have a slightly softer sidewall. Although, it seems to be the nature of a summer tire to have stiff sidewalls for better handling.

If you don't "need" a summer only tire, the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ I have been running for the last ~35k miles has been awesome. I've hit tail of the dragon with it and the grip is fantastic. From the reviews I've read it seems to be somewhat of a consensus that you get ~85-90% of the grip of the super sport, but it will actually handle well when temps get into the 40's.

What size wheels are you running? I have 17's and I'm just noticing a little more noise out of my tires with tread at 3/16"s on all 4 tires. I've been very happy with them.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Read the owners manual closely. There's supposed to be some special tasks to perform for flat towing a car with the dsg.
First task accomplished: Wife's car is a 6 speed Manual gearbox, not the DSG. (three out of my wife's last 4 vehicles have been manual gearboxes. She's a pro with them!!) I specifically avoided buying a CPO DSG TDI, when we were selecting her (new to us) JSW, because I know all about the 40k mile $400+ services required. I had a 2006 TDI sedan as company car with a DSG, it's not that I don't like the DSG. I marveled how smoothly it shifted for all 120k I racked up on it. I just know that for towing trailers and being towed four down, I want the manual gearbox.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I would try the Pilot Super Sport replacement; Pilot Sport 4s or the conti extreme contact DW. iirc the Conti is known to have a slightly softer sidewall. Although, it seems to be the nature of a summer tire to have stiff sidewalls for better handling.

If you don't "need" a summer only tire, the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ I have been running for the last ~35k miles has been awesome. I've hit tail of the dragon with it and the grip is fantastic. From the reviews I've read it seems to be somewhat of a consensus that you get ~85-90% of the grip of the super sport, but it will actually handle well when temps get into the 40's.

What size wheels are you running? I have 17's and I'm just noticing a little more noise out of my tires with tread at 3/16"s on all 4 tires. I've been very happy with them.
16s.

I just swapped out studded snows. So loud on clean pavement, but the ride was sooo much softer and impact absorbing.

Now these half worn all seasons feel like over pumped basketballs. It's ridiculous. Any imperfections they roll over sounds like you're whacking the tire with a baseball bat.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
First task accomplished: Wife's car is a 6 speed Manual gearbox, not the DSG. (three out of my wife's last 4 vehicles have been manual gearboxes. She's a pro with them!!) I specifically avoided buying a CPO DSG TDI, when we were selecting her (new to us) JSW, because I know all about the 40k mile $400+ services required. I had a 2006 TDI sedan as company car with a DSG, it's not that I don't like the DSG. I marveled how smoothly it shifted for all 120k I racked up on it. I just know that for towing trailers and being towed four down, I want the manual gearbox.
Missed the manual comment in your signature.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
40k mile $400 service? Only if you pay someone and are unfamiliar with doing an oil change... Open drain plug, let out fluid. Open filter cap, remove filter. Go inside, drink beer / watch first few innings, etc. Come back out, close drain plug. Connect tube to filter housing and fill bottle. Invert fill bottle, go back inside and finish game.

Come back out and install filter, close lid. Much work, such service, wow doge money. ;)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I bought up 7 dsg fluid and filter kits for $20 each when people were turning in their cars for money and selling their supplies (among other things as well). My services are cheap for some time to come.

TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd Manual
Looking for a Bosal Hitch assembly - MK6 Golf.

I'm trying to find a Bosal assembly with removable swan neck option to fit my MK6 Golf. IDP Parts used to sell them, but not anymore. Any ideas?