2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2 - First Impressions

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Fans stay on when key off is a guaranteed sign.

400c? I think is the trip point of fans or no fans

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Key is AFTER it is warmed up...

And the fan on after shutdown indicates an interrupted Regen.

The fan did stay on when I shut off the car shortly after the 1k observation (and the car was in gear when I noticed).
I wonder if it normal for regen so soon after phase 2 repair (within 25 miles).

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
The fan did stay on when I shut off the car shortly after the 1k observation (and the car was in gear when I noticed).
I wonder if it normal for regen so soon after phase 2 repair (within 25 miles).
Yes, it's normal especially if you keep interrupting them. A lot of reports are of owners experiencing more frequent regens. I think I interrupted 2-3 of my 2012 JSW regens during my entire span of ownership, but I do that in about a month now if not a week.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Just had phase 2 performed last week. Dropped my Golf off on Weds morning, and picked it up Friday afternoon. I asked that they not perform the oil change, and that I would return at a later date to have it done as I had recently changed it. Upon pickup I the service advisor indicated that an oil change and tank of fuel were not included in the recall, even after showing her the printout of the "Approved Emissions Modification Notice". She called VW who confirmed that an oil change was in fact part of recall, but a tank of fuel was not (???). I will take that up separately with VW.

I've put on about 100 miles since picking it up. In terms of performance, I've noticed significantly slower warm-up with Phase 2 (monitored with Scangauge); outside temps are about the same, and I have the grill blocked. Acceleration & throttle response seem improved, and Sport mode shift points are more appropriate. I have not noticed any change in engine noise. I will have a better gauge on FE when I fill up next week.

Last edited:

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
After 2k miles on the fix, CEL came on with P0471 and P2002, @23k miles.
Common for a possible bad DPF?

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
10k miles on phase 2 and I notice no real differences. Changing my tires were a much bigger factor, and that was done well before I did phase 2.

If I had any complaints about phase 2, and it's rare, is when my car shifts from 2-3 and I feel a slight loss of power for a second before it kicks in. It could be 3-4, but it's so rare I can't remember exactly what gears it is. I would say I probably had this happen a handful of times towards the beginning of phase 2. Yesterday was the first time in probably 3 months that it happened.

Theslacker29

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
10k miles on phase 2 and I notice no real differences. Changing my tires were a much bigger factor, and that was done well before I did phase 2.

If I had any complaints about phase 2, and it's rare, is when my car shifts from 2-3 and I feel a slight loss of power for a second before it kicks in. It could be 3-4, but it's so rare I can't remember exactly what gears it is. I would say I probably had this happen a handful of times towards the beginning of phase 2. Yesterday was the first time in probably 3 months that it happened.
I have that same issue with the feel of the loss of power between the shifts. I only noticed it in sport mode when I was "getting on it". Lol
I want to say mine was between the same gear change as you described.. It felt like a hesitation during the shift then it picked back up after it shifted..

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Okay, so I may have an issue. I'l try to make this as short as possible.

Saturday I filled up at a Wawa, then drove 60 miles. As soon as I got off the interestate at the stop sign I went to take off and my car loss almost all its power. I could still drive it, but I had no pick up whatsoever. I was not overheating or losing any fluids, so I drove it another 6 miles like that to my house.

At my house I ended up having to move my car after about 30 minutes. I ended up having no more lights on dash come up, and car worked fine, so I moved it. I did not drive it again till Monday.

Monday morning I drove the car 50 miles to the VW dealer I go to. Again, no lights on dash or issues with car. They did not look at my car till late Monday, so I didn't hear back from them till today.

Tuesday morning (today), I finally talked to them and the service guy says it looks like I have some black contaminate in a fuel valve/line (something like that). He mentioned a small mesh filter that had black stuff and he doesn't know if it's fuel or not, but it's definitely not metal shavings. He said it could be fuel or something plastic that has failed. He said they been sending pics back and forth to VW to find out the issues. I haven't heard back from him.

After going back to my car to get some stuff out, since they were keeping it overnight again, I talked to the tech that actually did the work. He said he does not think it is the fuel because it looks like it's plastic/rubbery. He said VW typically responds within 2 hours, but it had only been 45 minutes when he sent the last batch of pics.

So that's where I'm at now. I won't know anything more till tomorrow morning when I call. I really hope they don't say it's fuel related, because other than losing power for the last 6 miles of my trip home Saturday, I have not had any other issues. I also don't want to pay $600+ for them to clean the fuel tank, then refill. At that point I would take it up with WaWa, but that's going to be a hassle (esp since that day my pops paid for diesel on his card since we carpool and I lost receipt). I kinda regret taking it in, but at the same time I'm glad I did. I really hope it's nothing major, but if it is, that it's covered under warranty.

I'll try to find out what codes it's throwing, but the tech did say they were related to fuel things.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Doesn't sound good, likely fuel related. If it was something with the car others would have had issues by now as well. I would want a sample of the substance for my own testing purposes. WaWa may want some too for their own testing. I would also try and get copies of the pics taken as well as find out the exact location of where this is found.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Can someone please tell me what their DPF measured soot level is?

Mine seems high after a DPF replacement.

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
That can be from a start up and some idling and easy driving.

If. New catch can the ash should be nearly nothing.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
OK so I just talk to the service rep and they are going to change a few things with the biggest being a high-pressure fuel pump. He said Volkswagen does not think it went all the way into the system, thus it not being the $8k bill it could be. I’m glad it’s covered under warranty, but this sucks at the same time. They said it’ll be ready tomorrow with me owing $0 for the repairs

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
That can be from a start up and some idling and easy driving.

If. New catch can the ash should be nearly nothing.

Sorry, I'm not clear on your second sentence.

The DPF was replaced about 5 months ago during phase 2 fix, I believe. So the calculated soot should not be over 600g? Or you're saying it's normal from idling and easy driving?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Soot and ash are two different materials to measure and for the vehicle to work with.

After X grams of soot or X miles of driving the car regens to turn all caught (calculated or measured) soot into ash.

Dpf replacement is phase 2B, not phase 2A. Check your invoice.

24g is normal trigger load, 26 or 28? you get a light telling you to get stay on the road for a 20min drive.

Ash level seems I think has been I think 1 gram for every 10k. If you're not using low ash oil it'll climb faster.

I'm at about 40k, my ash load is 16g. I adda touch of 2stroke oil to every tank fill.

, and at 75000 miles I'm stopping at a dealer to get phase 2B for new Dpf. It's in the paperwork explaining the procedure.

Last edited:

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Looks like my car is fixed, but my wife’s 2015 Q7 TDI we bought a few weeks is now not wanting to turn on. Audi came to pick it up, so we’ll see what the issue is.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Soot and ash are two different materials to measure and for the vehicle to work with.

After X grams of soot or X miles of driving the car regens to turn all caught (calculated or measured) soot into ash.

Dpf replacement is phase 2B, not phase 2A. Check your invoice.

24g is normal trigger load, 26 or 28? you get a light telling you to get stay on the road for a 20min drive.

Ash level seems I think has been I think 1 gram for every 10k. If you're not using low ash oil it'll climb faster.

I'm at about 40k, my ash load is 16g. I adda touch of 2stroke oil to every tank fill.

, and at 75000 miles I'm stopping at a dealer to get phase 2B for new Dpf. It's in the paperwork explaining the procedure.

The oil ash volume is .07l and oil ash mass is 30.8g

I'm at 76K miles, but my phase 2 was done around 70K and phase 1 was at 65K. My understanding is that my mileage wasn't low enough to warrant a phase 2a and 2b, it was simply phase 2 for higher mileage vehicles.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Got my car and everything seemed great. Drove off about 2 miles later my check engine light came on. Code is for some sensor near the windshield wipers. They said they don't know what VW wants them to do, but the car is perfectly safe to drive. He said it's part of the emission stuff, so once they get told what to do they'll go from there.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Driving home today going about 70mph I felt my car lose power. I’m back to square one. Once the car gets speed it’s not bad, but from a dead stop it’s a dog. off the line. I wonder if VW would give me a loaner if it’s going to take another week to “fix” it this time.

I recorded a video (sorry pops started to talk some).

https://youtu.be/GAaySoQuxa8

I’m going to drop the car off tomorrow morning. I am able to shut the car off and the issue goes away (unsure for how long). I’ll take it as my high pressure fuel pump was never the issue to begin with since it’s still doing it. I guess that’s a good thing and bad thing as it did not fix this my issue, but I got a new HPFP out of this.
This sucks.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Not sure what these are, But these are what made my check engine light come on Friday after they fixed my car. I took the car immediately back after leaving when my check engine light came on and they checked them. . Nothing was wrong with them and they were completely fine, so they told me to just drive the car because it is just something to do with the emissions and it’s not a safety issue. Apparently it was a safety issue.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
Not sure what these are, But these are what made my check engine light come on Friday after they fixed my car. I took the car immediately back after leaving when my check engine light came on and they checked them. . Nothing was wrong with them and they were completely fine, so they told me to just drive the car because it is just something to do with the emissions and it’s not a safety issue. Apparently it was a safety issue.

DPF sensors 04L-131-552-DL
Happened to me as well, if you would have kept on driving it would of caught on fire.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
DPF sensors 04L-131-552-DL
Happened to me as well, if you would have kept on driving it would of caught on fire.
I opened the hood of my 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium last evening, after seeing this picture. I have the insulation wrapped item too, but it wasn't clear then to me what it was. Thanks for stating what that is. Obviously that insulation wrap is there for a purpose. I suspect the item gets quite hot, so the insulation wrap protects what is outside of the wrap? If so, this part must have gotten hotter than it should have for some reason. Any idea why it might have gotten so hot as to burn the sensor up?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
The oil ash volume is .07l and oil ash mass is 30.8g

I'm at 76K miles, but my phase 2 was done around 70K and phase 1 was at 65K. My understanding is that my mileage wasn't low enough to warrant a phase 2a and 2b, it was simply phase 2 for higher mileage vehicles.
Yah, if you had some higher miles on it prior to phase 2, then they would of just done everything.

So your good. Seems the ecm is keeping up on things with the new hardware.

Now delete and tune, , and resell it to someone who has surpassed their Dpf...

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
OK so I just talk to the service rep and they are going to change a few things with the biggest being a high-pressure fuel pump. He said Volkswagen does not think it went all the way into the system, thus it not being the $8k bill it could be. I’m glad it’s covered under warranty, but this sucks at the same time. They said it’ll be ready tomorrow with me owing $0 for the repairs
I am sorry I might have missed it but did they say the fuel was contaminated and the HPFP failure is still covered under the extended emission warranty?

Last edited:

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Driving home today going about 70mph I felt my car lose power. I’m back to square one. Once the car gets speed it’s not bad, but from a dead stop it’s a dog. off the line. I wonder if VW would give me a loaner if it’s going to take another week to “fix” it this time.

I recorded a video (sorry pops started to talk some).

https://youtu.be/GAaySoQuxa8

I’m going to drop the car off tomorrow morning. I am able to shut the car off and the issue goes away (unsure for how long). I’ll take it as my high pressure fuel pump was never the issue to begin with since it’s still doing it. I guess that’s a good thing and bad thing as it did not fix this my issue, but I got a new HPFP out of this.
This sucks.
My emission fixed A8L got the similar issue. It's that when the fuel has 3-4 gallons left and the OBD tells me it can still drive another 80-100 miles, the coil signal came on and the engine lost power greatly. The highest speed it could go is initially 60mph, then 50, then 40......gradually slowing down and then finally stops.

First time this happened is when I drove from TX to California on I-10 between nowhere last July. It was really scary. I was lucky enough to drive the car slowly to the closest gas station after 15 miles since the engine lost power. After refilling with a full tank of diesel, the car could start again and the coil signal went away temporarily like nothing really happened. I took it to an Audi dealer in Riverside, CA for preventive diagnosis and was told it was "normal" for it to happen.

Before the emission fix that really never happened. Even if the OBD told me there was 0 miles left that could be driven, I could still manage to drive the pre-fix car for about another 30 miles.

Since last July the engine lost significant power and the coil signal came on with 3-4 gallons diesel left in the tank. Every single time. It consistently occurs like a running clock.

This time I decide to reproduce this coil signal and show it to an Audi dealer. Well I could run the risk of being stranded somewhere and being not be able to drive the car to the dealer.

Last edited:

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Some Audis have two fuel tanks and a transfer pump between the two. It is possible one of them has a pickup problem or something similar. If your dealer is stonewalling you I would try a different dealer. The car should not be doing this.