Need a very specific wire pin terminal - any ideas?

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
TL:DR - I need a very specific pin terminal, for less than $3/ea. Refer to picture at bottom.

At this point, it's likely I'm certifiably crazy... I bought a 1997 Porsche Boxster project.
The door locks and fob didn't work. So, naturally, I dove in.
Re-doing the D/L module on my Golf 1 week prior, I started there on the Boxster. Literally 100% identical to the VW modules (just FYI)! Even stamped w/VW logos. Amazing!
Re-soldered that bad boy, cleaned it up, and re-installed. Gained some functionality, but lost some too... hmmm

I look deeper to find that there's a huge brain box that controls all of the convenience features... central locking, windows, alarm, power top, etc.
In all of Porsche's wisdom, not only is it under the driver's seat (which is very prone to flooding due to clogged drains), but it's placed in a further depressed area! WITH NO DRAIN HOLES!

I find that the actual module is in mint condition (odd), but the plug is quite nasty!

Hmm...seems like this may be a source of my issues!

Using a pin terminal extractor tool, I removed all the wires from the plug. Even the good ones are bad. So I plan to basically re-do the whole harness. For lack of a better solution, I'm going to cut all the wires, and re-crimp new pins on as the old pins (even if they're 'good') can't really be un-bent and re-crimped.

Apparently these pins are very particular with their shape, size, the tangs, etc
I had a very hard time tracking down the 'Genuine Porsche' part#, and couldn't find anything even similar that wasn't OEM Porsche. As such, they cost $3/each. EACH!!! Generic pin terminals are like 10 for a dollar...
Considering I need 12 of them just for this plug (there's another module under the passenger seat for the airbag, and the A/B light is on so...), I'm looking to cut costs.

Also, aside from saving $, I went to the dealer. My PN wouldn't match up with their system, and they couldn't show me a picture of the part. "Can't confirm this is what you need. Can't order it until you pay for it"
Uhm....

Anyone have a crafty solution? Maybe have a part# for the VW variant, or know a supplier?

This is the best PN I got: 999-652-871-22

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
VW doesn't sell individual terminals (as far as I know) but they do sell "repair wire kits"... 1 foot of yellow wire with a connector properly crimped on each end.

Looking at the pictures I'd guess that the small version of the repair kit would be the right fit. Tell 'em you have a 2005 TDI Jetta with a broken wire going into the turbo actuator position sensor. :)

This is not likely the solution you're looking for, since it's not a box of terminals, but it actually looks like a lot of your connectors are in good shape (I see three, maybe four that are iffy, so two repair wires worth)and to be reliable the connector really does need to be crimped with special equipment... treatment the factory repair wires will have had.

Just another option, should you not be able to track down a whole box of terminals.

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
VW doesn't sell individual terminals (as far as I know) but they do sell "repair wire kits"... 1 foot of yellow wire with a connector properly crimped on each end.

Looking at the pictures I'd guess that the small version of the repair kit would be the right fit. Tell 'em you have a 2005 TDI Jetta with a broken wire going into the turbo actuator position sensor. :)

This is not likely the solution you're looking for, since it's not a box of terminals, but it actually looks like a lot of your connectors are in good shape (I see three, maybe four that are iffy, so two repair wires worth)and to be reliable the connector really does need to be crimped with special equipment... treatment the factory repair wires will have had.

Just another option, should you not be able to track down a whole box of terminals.
I appreciate the backdoor trick there.
There are a couple of issues. Even though most of the pins themselves look fine, I buggered up a 'clean' wire and peeled back some insulation. I saw the copper strands were almost solid black.
What the heck...?
Stripping it down, it got better, but I didn't get clean copper until ~8in deep. And that's on a 'clean' wire.
I was confused, as I thought copper only tarnishes to be green. I looked it up and copper can create sulfides which are green (the typical copper oxide I, personally, think of, like Statue of Liberty), but apparently copper also oxides to black under certain conditions! The black oxide is less of a worry than the green oxide, but still concerning how it happened. I'm leaning to think the wires got hot over time and developed the oxide, but no signs of melted sheathing. Not sure why this would happen if that corresponding pin is clean, but maybe the module fried and was replaced, which is why it looks brand new.

Anyway, long story short, I "want" to hack all the wires off short, and partially rebuild the harness.

As for the "2005 Jetta turbo actuator..." hack, I'm sure there are many, many, many, wires that are crimped with this specific wire pin, but this small of an item isn't very well documented.

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Anyway, long story short, I "want" to hack all the wires off short, and partially rebuild the harness.
Sounds like you'll be hacking 8" off the harness in order to get back to bare copper? If so, pins with wires already on 'em might actually be usable.

The turbo actuator wires are very tiny...so that's the size I thought of when I saw your pictures. There are multiple sizes available... no doubt you'd have to order some to find out if they work.

I fear the challenge you're likely going to face is that they're an OEM connector likely from a big overseas industrial vendor, not sold retail, and when sold wholesale the minimum order is 1 million. :)

That said, the internet is a wonderful level; hopefully you'll track a smaller bag of 'em down. :) Any big Porsche forums out there where folks are rehabilitating old barn finds?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
check with Idparts, they carry VW terminals

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
...I had a very hard time tracking down the 'Genuine Porsche' part#, and couldn't find anything even similar that wasn't OEM Porsche. As such, they cost $3/each. EACH!!! Generic pin terminals are like 10 for a dollar...
Yeah, but it is Porsche.

There are certain brands and items in the world where if you have to ask, you can't afford it. Porsche is on the list.

Cheers,

PH

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
check with Idparts, they carry VW terminals
You saved me!

I think something on this site will do what you want. I am not sure of the P/N, so you might have to do some digging to find the right one.

https://www.newark.com/w/c/connectors/plug-socket-connectors-components/plug-socket-connector-contacts/prl/results?st=junior%20timer%20contacts

Here is another good resource.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=400909
Thank you so much for the link. It helped a lot.

So I found that IDparts does indeed sell this particular pin. Wow! What luck. The VW part # is N90684505

What a journey. Go to IDparts, click "electrical" near very bottom (not emphasize sized category), pin connects are all the way back on the 3rd page.
$1 each!

At first I ordered the small pins because the wires were "small" (to me). Some 20ga, some 16. The medium size was the lucky winner.
And then, of course, when you learn the behind-the-scenes industrial part #s and such (listed in quoted link above) you can order 1000s of them for less than 10cent each.

Still trying to figure out a good way to crimp these connectors. Regular wire cutter/stripper/crimper tool isn't very good