Speedometer fuse

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
Tuesday after work I went into town to get some groceries. My speedometer and everything was working just fine when I went in the store. When I left I noticed that my speedometer was not working. At first I was not too worried about it as I figured I would fix it when I got home. When I hit the road out of town I tried to activate the cruise control and found that did not work either. Then noticed my fuel gauge was acting weird. I decided to pull over and check my fuses and found the 10 amp cluster fuse was blown. I replaced it when I got home and drove around the farm a little and all seemed good. When I went to leave in the morning my car did not want to start, acted like it was not getting fuel. The battery was getting weak so I hooked up jumper cables. It still cranked over for probably another 30 seconds before finally starting. After leaving I noticed the speedometer was not working again. Checked the fuse again and it is blown.

Where do I need to start looking to find the issue? I am off work for the next 12 days, but I cannot put it in the shop as we have some rigs already in there torn apart and it is going to start getting cold out. I don’t want to start guessing at what I need to do if I can get some pointers first. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Fuses blow when there's too much amperage going through them. Since it's the cluster fuse that blew twice, I'd assume the cluster itself has a short, which also explains the long crank time, due to the immobilizer probably not communicating with ECM that well. If thats the case I'd fix it before it leaves you stranded. I'd stay by pulling the cluster and make sure it's not burnt on the board.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
What is the number of the fuse that blew?

Fuse 7, 10 amp is for the VSS and back up lights.
Fuse 11, 5 amp is for the Instrument cluster.
Fuse 15, 5 amp is for the Instrument cluster.

I am going to make an internet guess and say it was fuse 7 that blew when you backed out of your parking space. If so, check the back up lights as the most probable cause.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
TDI
It is a 10 amp fuse, but the picture diagram showed it being for the gauge cluster. I did not even think about the backup lights. My headlights and backup lights are the only thing I have modified electrical wise. Just a wire harness for my HID lights and a jumper for my backup lights as I am running 4 leds for backups. I did not do the 5 light brake light mod, I did a 4 light backup light mod instead.

I will go out after a little bit and see if my backup lights are working or not.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
TDI
What is the number of the fuse that blew?

Fuse 7, 10 amp is for the VSS and back up lights.
Fuse 11, 5 amp is for the Instrument cluster.
Fuse 15, 5 amp is for the Instrument cluster.

I am going to make an internet guess and say it was fuse 7 that blew when you backed out of your parking space. If so, check the back up lights as the most probable cause.
So it turns out that it was the #7 fuse. Guess I just could not read the damn picture right. I checked my backup lights and got nothing. Hopefully tomorrow I will have time to dig into it. Spent all day fixing fences that the cows tore down.

BTW, what is the VSS?