Cheap sensor vs dealership (P0321)

ruSSrt

TDI
Hey guys.

I need your advice on 2001 Jetta ALH motor. Vehicle has only 86k original miles, but been sitting for a while.
Long story short is that it was hydro-locked or someone put gas instead of diesel (story there was unclear). Bent two rods. Motor then got taken apart, bent rods and pistons were replaced. Started no problem and ran for couple of days with no issue, on freeway and around town. Then famous P0321 and P0725 showed up. Crankshaft sensor got replaced (but with cheap ebay knock off), codes disappear for a short period of time and came back on. Now vehicle starts, idles poorly and dies. If codes are erased with scan tool, vehicle runs good until codes show up.
I went to the dealer to purchase correct sensor for the rig ($250) and was told: "if Crankshaft sensor is bad then i wont be able to start the rig at all".

Now i'm debating.
Should i purchase quality crankshaft sensor and see if that helps? or you guys think there is bigger problem.

Glow plug light is blinking when codes show up. Vehicle starts, but spudders at idle and dies after about 1 min.

Is there something i can check to pin point the problem?

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Buy OEM parts, especially when it comes to VAG sensors.
I would first do a proper diagnostic check before throwing expensive parts at your vehicle. Pull up the engine codes and then proceed from there ( I’m not a big fan of generic OBD 2 scanners on our cars) See if anyone near you has a VCDS tool who can help you out

Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Or you could grab one from the junkyard, cascadegerman also sells them new, and while not a dealer oem part I wouldn’t hesitate to put one on my car at less than $40.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I always disagree with going OEM and only occasionally will. I don't but cheap Chinese crap, I buy good quality reputable parts.
The vendors don't tend to sell cheap parts, but rather OEM quality and often better parts.
Definitely need good quality parts.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
Just curious if you meticulously cleaned (with electronic spray cleaner and very clean rag) your electrical connections when this engine was being re-assembled.

And, were the above (any connectors involved with engine management) very carefully originally disconnected (as to NOT damage plug-ins) when this engine was removed, etc.

Many people, who take these apart, tend to brutalize the connectors when getting apart.

ruSSrt

TDI
Just curious if you meticulously cleaned (with electronic spray cleaner and very clean rag) your electrical connections when this engine was being re-assembled.
And, were the above (any connectors involved with engine management) very carefully originally disconnected (as to NOT damage plug-ins) when this engine was removed, etc.
Many people, who take these apart, tend to brutalize the connectors when getting apart.
Yes all connections are cleaned, lubed and seems to be in working order.
My father in law did all the work and he is very accurate with stuff like that. I would trust him.

ruSSrt

TDI
Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Hey i just want to confirm. The part number of that sender is 038907319F which i was told at the dealer is for later models of ALH motor. I was told i need 038907319.
038907319 is $250
038907319F is $80 at the dealer.

https://1stvwparts.com/oemparts/volkswagen/sensor_038907319.html link to 038907319 part that is $100 more. What is the difference?

Did you give the dealer your VIN and they chose the 038907319?
Looks like the 038907319 has a rectangular harness connector
The "038907319F" has the grey "D" shaped connector.
Which do you have?

ruSSrt

TDI
Did you give the dealer your VIN and they chose the 038907319?
Looks like the 038907319 has a rectangular harness connector
The "038907319F" has the grey "D" shaped connector.
Which do you have?
Yes. I gave my vin and thats what they come up with. i'm gonna have to go check really quick i don't remember now.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I would order the other plug before the more expensive part.
Just swap the plug if you need and save a lot!
Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk