Coolant loss

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this. Last time I had it serviced in February, I had them check to see if water pump was leaking or weeping, as my coolant level dropped below the bottom line on bottle. They didn't find any weeping or leaks around water pump(so they say), and said something about evaporation on the service receipt. Since that service, it has gotten to the bottom line twice-the first time I added coolant, after noticing it again the other day, I will leave it like that and have them check again next week when I take it in for the 30k service. I haven't pulled the skid plate off to check water pump yet, not sure if i'll get chance before I take it for the service.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Our's was a bit below the top line when we got it last year and I topped it up. It is currently back below the line and I'll be pointing that out when I take it in for the 40K mile service in a couple of months. Our '01 ALH and previous '05 BHW never lost coolant.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
Mine needed to be topped up recently (~40 k km). It seems to be holding just fine.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I added about a cup of coolant to our Passat at 28K, will monitor at the next oil change when i open the hood again.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
3 or 4 times i had mine drop to low and top it off. Last time was like 6 months ago. Ive come to think the system takes more time to purge all the air out than previous models. I quit worrying about it.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Not worried about it as I check it and the oil every time that I fuel up. Just mentioned it because it's never happened with either of our other TDIs.

3 or 4 times i had mine drop to low and top it off. Last time was like 6 months ago. Ive come to think the system takes more time to purge all the air out than previous models. I quit worrying about it.

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
Last time I was at the dealer while I was there for an engine noise we saw the coolant level was below low and there was a coolant smell in the bay. They checked it out (pressure check) and topped it up said there was no leak.

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
Earlier this week, in the morning, a red triangle popped up on the dash. I was in a rush so I turned off the car and restarted and it never came back. While I was checking my oil level, I noticed the coolant reservoir level was below MIN. Note to self, top off coolant. Fast forward to this morning... started her up and red triangle appears. This time I wasn't in a rush, and saw a message about low coolant. I popped the hood and found almost no coolant in the reservoir. Borrowed a car, and went to the dealer to buy a $30 jug to top it off (mixed with water). I'll monitor how quick (if it even does) the level drops. Ultimately, I may take it in to get pressure tested since it should still be under warranty.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, dealer pressure checked it for an hour (so I was told) and no leaks were found. Just looking through my paperwork and last time they checked it was last December. I know it's only getting down to lower line, but I don't think a new car should be having coolant disappear like this, especially since it's been noticed since around the 15k mark of ownership. I asked her if they checked the water pump, she said yes, but I'm not too confident of that.

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
I had a similar experience. I don't think my coolant consumption rate is too alarming but it does seem to be leaking somewhere slowly. I asked the dealer if they checked the waterpump and they said they would not take off the timing cover unless something was obviously broken as VW would not pay them for it.

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
I just took my 15' GSW TDI SEL into local VW dealer for squealing sound, low coolant light, red deposits just below serpentine belts passenger side rear of engine and liquid on belly pan observed from on top rear engine compartment. I was told it is a common problem and is sometimes caused by clogged PCV causing pressure build ups which then causes leakage onto water pump which then causes waterpump failure. I Have never heard this scenario. I hope at 39K miles it is just the waterpump. I'll update after I get vehicle back.

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I just took my 15' GSW TDI SEL into local VW dealer for squealing sound, low coolant light, red deposits just below serpentine belts passenger side rear of engine and liquid on belly pan observed from on top rear engine compartment. I was told it is a common problem and is sometimes caused by clogged PCV causing pressure build ups which then causes leakage onto water pump which then causes waterpump failure. I Have never heard this scenario. I hope at 39K miles it is just the waterpump. I'll update after I get vehicle back.
Ask the service manager if the tech can verify that the replacement water pump is either the same variable flow design as the original or a conventional non-variable design. The variable flow design is identifiable by its sliding metal sleeve resting just below the impeller.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I looked at two low mileage 2015 Sportwagens and they both smelled of coolant under the hood. My new to me Sportwagen with 28K on it also smells of coolant under the hood and it was very noticeable this weekend, in fact I was going to start a post but then tdidieselbobny started one.

TDI WNY is the water pump replacement going to be covered under the power train warranty?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here is what appears to be a common failure mode for the variable flow water pump. The metal blocking sleeve is stuck in the activated "cold" position, covering the impeller blades; it should be sitting below the impeller in the normally open rest position.

This failure would, of course, cause overheating. Don't know whether early pump external leakage would contribute to this sleeve seizure at a later date.

Last edited:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I dont like the looks of that. Variable water pump that fails in the not pumping water position. Wonder how long till the variable oil pumps start having issues and blocks start seizing.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's why I'm asking pump leak victims to find out if dealers are replacing these with conventional, non-variable pumps. There are reports that that is the case and there appears to be a TSB on it, which makes sense with such a potentially disastrous failure. If true, it would be a shame to lose the extra quick warm-up feature of that pump, though, and as such, its probably considered an integral part of the emissions system. Perhaps an improved variable-flow pump is in the pipeline and a conventional pump is just a stop-gap measure until the redesigned one is available.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Perhaps an improved variable-flow pump is in the pipeline and a conventional pump is just a stop-gap measure until the redesigned one is available.
I wouldn't hold my breath, but there's hope.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Id rather have no variable anything. Straight mechanical and no electrical. If your at 70000 miles and the variable water pump dies ya just as well do the whole TB job cause it would just cost alil bit more for parts.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
When I have time I am going to pull the underbelly and see if I can poke a borescope up inside the timing cover anywhere and look for red stains. I was able to find a small leak on my Powerstoke this way before it got bad

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Here is what appears to be a common failure mode for the variable flow water pump. The metal blocking sleeve is stuck in the activated "cold" position, covering the impeller blades; it should be sitting below the impeller in the normally open rest position.

This failure would, of course, cause overheating. Don't know whether early pump external leakage would contribute to this sleeve seizure at a later date.

And the service training pdf assures that this won't happpen:confused:

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Id rather have no variable anything. Straight mechanical and no electrical. If your at 70000 miles and the variable water pump dies ya just as well do the whole TB job cause it would just cost alil bit more for parts.
This ^^
Reminds me of the variable adjusting suspension they put in the Lincoln. Good intentions but poorly engineered - designed to fail and costly to repair.

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
I won't know status of my vehicles repair till Saturday. According to the dealer the part hasn't arrived. ? I'll update as soon as I know something.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I won't know status of my vehicles repair till Saturday. According to the dealer the part hasn't arrived. ? I'll update as soon as I know something.
Which dealer did you take it to? Northtown, Towne, Basil, or Orchard Park?

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
Just got my car back from Basil. The new pump which they said took longer to receive than expected is 04L-121-011-L. The service writer didn't know the difference between variable flow or constant flow and said he did ask the tech. I have 39010 miles on my odometer, fully covered no charge repair under normal powertrain warranty. The car heats up normally.

Last edited:

xabjw4

TDI
2015 Golf SW S TDI
2015 Golf SW TDI. My tank was low a few times. They found a crack in the side of the radiator tank on the left drivers side. Replaced in for free, no more problems, maintains level between the low and normal line.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Just got my car back from Basil. Northtown doesn't like replacing all of the belly pan screws. I've never been to Orchard Park or Towne since they bought Schmidt's. The new pump which they said took longer to receive than expected is 04L-121-011-L. According to Chris Bell this is the non variable pump. The service writer didn't know the difference and said he did ask the tech. There was no charge, no car wash and no breakfast bagels/doughnuts. I am curious where WNYers' take their TDIs to? Northtown, Towne, Basil, or Orchard Park? Reviews run 10% unhappy for every dealer around here.
Please let us know if you notice any longer warm-up time due to the non-variable pump. Are you still under the 3/36 warranty?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The new pump which they said took longer to receive than expected is 04L-121-011-L. According to Chris Bell this is the non variable pump. The service writer didn't know the difference and said he did ask the tech.
Actually we still don't know which pump that is. Whether that number is already a super-cession or the part is a redesign without a new p/n isn't clear. Dealer online parts catalogs only list 04L121011L and 04L121011EX which is the same part but rebuilt vs. new.

Only a visual would have confirmed which pump this is.

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
We had the red triangle show on Thanksgiving day... while already late. Checked coolant and it was a hair below the sensor. It only makes an appearance on cold cold days after the vehicle has sat over night. I just ordered an oil change kit and coolant from IDPARTS to top it off. I'll keep an eye on it from there. 28.5K on ours. Need to go to the dealer for the passenger side rear window being INOP, I will have them check it at that point.

I did the 20k and will do the oil soon so this doesn't see a dealer often.

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
Please let us know if you notice any longer warm-up time due to the non-variable pump. Are you still under the 3/36 warranty?
I have 39010 on the odometer. Repair covered under powertrain warranty. Warm up time seems normal.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've only taken car to where I bought it from, Dorschel in Rochester. They've treated me pretty decent so far. They gave me a loaner for the phase 2 fix, wasn't sure if it was gonna be complete or partial, ended up being partial plus horn replacement, and didn't charge me for loaner.