MASSIVE oil leak

dwebb

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
OK...I was traveling down the interstate and noticed a slight knocking noise (very light). Then, all of a sudden a loud noise, loss of power, and LOUD knocking. A LARGE amount of oil was leaking.

I had it towed back, put oil in the car, cranked it to see where the oil was coming from...loud noise, and MASSIVE amount of oil was leaking from the front of the motor.

I know that this is not good. I cannot see any visible signs of damage (other than the 4 qts of oil lost).

Suggestions?

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
OK...I was traveling down the interstate and noticed a slight knocking noise (very light). Then, all of a sudden a loud noise, loss of power, and LOUD knocking. A LARGE amount of oil was leaking.

I had it towed back, put oil in the car, cranked it to see where the oil was coming from...loud noise, and MASSIVE amount of oil was leaking from the front of the motor.

I know that this is not good. I cannot see any visible signs of damage (other than the 4 qts of oil lost).

Suggestions?

you threw a rod or the crank walked, as Oilhammer said new engine time

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
It would be great if all problems had such a straight forward diagnosis. Seems like a lot of guys would have scanned for DTC's. The dealer probably would have.

"Sir there are no fault codes set and the check engine light isn't on, so there is nothing wrong with your engine". :D

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Shoot, Bill Jacobs Volkswagen outside Chicago did a "crankcase flush" on a BHW to try and fix an engine noise, which was funny considering the noise was the chain that had already blown a hole in the front cover.

They ruined the engine. :rolleyes: