Possible to prime PD TDI when lift pump fails?

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
So my lift pump was failing, it would groan,buzz be louder then usual until it finally just quit. Car was running fine still but had a slight miss at idle. I ordered a replacement.

I put said replacement in, car ran way better so I went to fill up and came home. I could smell diesel, opening the hood it appears I had burst one of the fuel lines at the tandem pump (the inlet to the tandem pump).

So I replaced that line but I know something isn't right so I pulled out he new pump to bench test it and it puts out 35-45 PSI so I assume they sent me a gas motor pump and not a diesel pump.

So I through the old pump back in and of course now I can't get back to the state I was before as I lost prime and it looks like the old pump (even if it's running) doesn't have the jam to prime the lines.

Anyone have any ideas how I can prime the fuel lines to get going again? I'm afraid I might of damaged the tandem pump with the high pressure. I know the fuel regulator for the tandem pump is on the inlet side.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
What part number did you get? Is this an assembly? The drop in replacements we get are VDO, and are different looking than the gasoline ones, of which there are several of those, depending on which engine, which fuel filter, etc.

The BEW's pump assembly VAG part number ends in 050, and is gray. The two most popular gas ones of similar vintage are 087 J or S, and are white. Also, the gasser ones do not come with a fuel level sensor, the diesel ones do (for reasons I do not know).

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
The only method I would guess is to pull the return line to relieve the pressure needed to get through the IP.
Otherwise, hang a jug off the hood and run two lines to the jug like running diesel purge. This method requires unplugging the lift pump and would prime the lines in engine bay, however, you must reconnect and will get a little air in. Should recover quickly though.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
What part number did you get? Is this an assembly? The drop in replacements we get are VDO, and are different looking than the gasoline ones, of which there are several of those, depending on which engine, which fuel filter, etc.

The BEW's pump assembly VAG part number ends in 050, and is gray. The two most popular gas ones of similar vintage are 087 J or S, and are white. Also, the gasser ones do not come with a fuel level sensor, the diesel ones do (for reasons I do not know).
Yah this one was white. What a mistake. Got it going finally. Took a while I ended up manually priming it using a home made vacuum canister and a shopvac. Been at it since7 am :) It's 1:20 now.

The old pump still work but barely.

The worst part of all this is after I had installed the new pump I had brimmed the fuel tank, so spent a bunch of time siphoning it. What a mess.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Got it going finally. Took a while I ended up manually priming it using a home made vacuum canister and a shopvac. Been at it since7 am :) It's 1:20 now.
Good job, I appreciate a good trick like that.
I should have thought to recommend that, I've used the shop vac method to get a syphon going, may have to remember priming as well.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah so far so good... The pump is dead again (don't hear it run) but the car started no issues this morning. Hopefully the new pump comes in so I can give the tandem pump a break.

On the positive side. That hose that burst was likely leaking before or letting air in, the car drove and idled a lot better. It used to have a noticeable stumble / miss at idle and that was gone this morning. So blessing in disguise I guess.