Heat Only on Driver Side - clogged heater core

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
replaced core today on 2013

had the heater core replaced today after experiencing no heat but just frigid air from passenger side, bought the car in March 2013 so went about 5 years. All costs covered by VW..about 800 bucks. If I was going to be on the hook for this I would have sucked it up as I will be turning the car into VW mid summer. Trying to determine what I will drive next???? without a TDI option any more I have way many options to consider in a gasser.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
When you say your turning in your TDI in December of 2018 is this a lease return or return under the TDI buyback program? ..if it us under the buyback program the deadline for turning in the TDI's is September 1, 2018. if I am wrong please correct me.
Yeah, you have to be signed up by then, I think. The last actual appointments for turn-in are in December. I've got all the paperwork done except for actually selecting the turn-in date. I suppose we'll select a new car and turn it in sometime in the Fall, holidays are too busy.

Bearsvw

TDI
2013 passat highline loaded
So they are changing thermostat at 30% cost to me if it works also changing adblue tank heater under warrantee

Bearsvw

TDI
2013 passat highline loaded
I have a golf wagon 4motion while my car is getting fixed it's a 2018 now has like 900 km on it. But I'm not impressed with gas mileage.

Gingy22

TDI
2012 Passat SE
My 12 started doing this same thing. I'm reading y'all saying it's covered under an extended warranty? What mileage does that run to? I'm almost to 76k

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
The HVAC system is not designed to be cooler on one side than the other. When the engine is hot, the heat should be hot - on both sides.
Actually the HVAC system IS designed to be different on each side on a SEL if the 'SYNC' mode is turned off so both driver and passenger can set temperature on their respective side to their liking.

I don't know what the S and SE have for HVAC - is system always same for both sides with no option for driver and passenger to set temperature individually on their respective sides?

Are heater cores failing at same rate on SE and SEL's? I note compu_85 says his 2012 SE heater has always been good - do I assume correctly it lacks the SYNC option that SEL's have?

Do the 2012's use G12 or G13? Know some have theorized the G13 breaks down / starts clogging the system. Anyone here tried running just G12 in their HVAC? If so, how's it holding up?

While I do understand the cores themselves get clogged wonder if the passenger side on SEL's due to having provision for individual temperature control there is a bug in the system which is why it is cooler on passenger side in normal operation? Yes, I know that should be unlikely and system should be even on both sides when in SYNC mode on the SEL but we are talking about VW here, after all! :p

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Actually the HVAC system IS designed to be different on each side on a SEL if the 'SYNC' mode is turned off so both driver and passenger can set temperature on their respective side to their liking.
I don't know what the S and SE have for HVAC - is system always same for both sides with no option for driver and passenger to set temperature individually on their respective sides?
Are heater cores failing at same rate on SE and SEL's? I note compu_85 says his 2012 SE heater has always been good - do I assume correctly it lacks the SYNC option that SEL's have?
Do the 2012's use G12 or G13? Know some have theorized the G13 breaks down / starts clogging the system. Anyone here tried running just G12 in their HVAC? If so, how's it holding up?
While I do understand the cores themselves get clogged wonder if the passenger side on SEL's due to having provision for individual temperature control there is a bug in the system which is why it is cooler on passenger side in normal operation? Yes, I know that should be unlikely and system should be even on both sides when in SYNC mode on the SEL but we are talking about VW here, after all! :p
That is not at all what I meant. I am fully aware of the Passat's dual zone climate control system. The point is that the right side should not be colder than the left when both sides of the system are set to the same setting.

Our SE Passat is a 2012 with dual zone Climatronic. All early Passats came with dual zone Climatronic before VW started decontenting them sometime in 2013.

Our 2012 uses some variation of G12 coolant (perhaps +, perhaps ++, I don't know). It does not use the organic G13 coolant and we have had no heating problems in 113,000 miles of operation.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
That is not at all what I meant. I am fully aware of the Passat's dual zone climate control system. The point is that the right side should not be colder than the left when both sides of the system are set to the same setting.
Our SE Passat is a 2012 with dual zone Climatronic. All early Passats came with dual zone Climatronic before VW started decontenting them sometime in 2013.
Our 2012 uses some variation of G12 coolant (perhaps +, perhaps ++, I don't know). It does not use the organic G13 coolant and we have had no heating problems in 113,000 miles of operation.
Thanks for the clarification on the dual zone Climatronic availability in the NMS.

My heater core was replaced under warranty over a year ago and is still holding up to date. If it needs to be replaced again I'm thinking of going with G12 coolant.

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
Having the same issue on a 2012 Golf TDI at 70K miles. VW guys say the Passat TSB doesn't apply -- sure sounds and acts like the same problem. All the system maintenance has been done on the VW schedule, at the dealer.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
true no official recall for the Jettas...yet, contact vwoa. I just noticed my recall says only upto 120K I'm at 115k, does diesel gate extend this at all? I will be over 120K before I can get the car into them!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>.
I think what is happening is that some people are checking in to this topic without reading earlier posts about how this particular heater core in the Passat plugs up. Ours went the same way as others I have read about, in that we began to lose heat on the passenger side (both controls on the Climatronic are generally kept at 70F). This is due to the design of the core, i.e., what plugs up first is the part of the core that, in effect, serves the passenger side of the vehicle. So, no amount of changing the Climatronic controls will raise the heat on that side of the car.
The heat went pretty rapidly, and the passenger side lost heat to the extent that the person riding on that side on most of a trip from IL to VA and back had a blanket over them, and the defroster on that side would not completely clear the windows.
Fortunately, we have the extended warranty on the core, and it was replaced when we got home and has been OK from then on (past two winters).

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
I have been having the same issue with my 2014. I honestly think it started in its first year and was exposed as air conditioner issues (it would freeze up). I am pretty sure that the heater core is used to keep the AC condenser from getting too cold. So we had that. Then the heat started getting worse. So, we had taken it in twice because of the AC, then we took it in twice for this:

1st - replaced heater core (could tell within two days that it wasn't working right)
2nd - dealer had it for 5 weeks! replaced heater core and flushed the system... replaced the radiator and flushed the system... replaced the EGR cooler and flushed the system... replaced the heater core AGAIN (2nd time in the same servicing) and flushed the system.

Seemed fine for about 2 weeks... now the passenger side is blowing cold again (40F) when the drivers side is blowing hot (120F)

Anyone have an updated location for that TSB? My dealer never told me about that.

cjwilson78154

TDI
2014 Passat TDISEL
Same plus additional problems on my '14 TDI

Dec 2016 had my heater core replaced for free. My car had 71k miles.

Jun 2017 took it in for coolant smell. Pressure test revealed nothing. 81k miles.

Nov 2017 coolant leak. Cracked lip inside oil filter housing allowing coolant to seep out. I spent $1,200 on repair. Pics showed coolant system looked 'gunked up'. 91k miles.

Jul 2018 just had P2457 code pop up yesterday. Probable heater core again. 104k on vehicle now, so only 33k on this heater core. Back to dealer in the morning. I am quite concerned that every aluminum part that coolant contacts is being eaten up from the inside out.

Anyone have anything similar happening?

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
This week I've noticed the passenger side defrost doesn't work nearly as fast as the drivers side. Guess I need to look into this problem as well.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
have any 2015s had this issue?

Could someone with access to ETKA check if it's the same part number between a 2013 and a 2015?

Tomgtd

TDI
GTD Golf
Same problem but from the UK

Hi all
I’ve got very similar issues with this heater core at 47k, I know from reading here that the US have honoured a warranty but does anyone know if the UK have done the same?
Surely they’re all the same parts?
It’s seems a bit of a joke that such a massive issue hasn’t been addressed by VW globally!
Does anyone know if there is any kind of ombudsman for the car industry?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Hi all
I’ve got very similar issues with this heater core at 47k, I know from reading here that the US have honoured a warranty but does anyone know if the UK have done the same?
Surely they’re all the same parts?
It’s seems a bit of a joke that such a massive issue hasn’t been addressed by VW globally!
Does anyone know if there is any kind of ombudsman for the car industry?
Europe has an entirely different Passat - ours has been designed and built in the USA

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Reasons like this is why Im dumping and replacing my coolant on my 15 tdi every 30k miles.

$60 in coolant, $5 distilled water.

I'm an honest believer the coolant is getting jacked from the exhaust Temps....

So keeping it fresh, I'll keep everyone updated if this method fails me.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Tomgtd

TDI
GTD Golf
Europe has an entirely different Passat - ours has been designed and built in the USA
I was discussing the golf gtd from the UK, I’m unsure if there is much difference between the us variant and the UK?

Tomgtd

TDI
GTD Golf
Reasons like this is why Im dumping and replacing my coolant on my 15 tdi every 30k miles.

Are you compleltly draining your system each time then?
If so how are you doing that? Is it simple for a novice to do?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
It's kinda miserable.

Need to pull all the lowest hoses to kill the block and radiator as much as possible. Refill only with distilled water. Let it idle until hot enough to open thermostat. Redain again. Then refill with the ending result..

It's not a 5 min job.

Bit I have a walk in floor pit under an overhead hoist. So..yeah...

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
I took my '14 Passat in this morning to have the heat problem looked at. They stated it was the heater core and it wasn't covered under warranty. After leaving I realized that they didn't put it in the system correctly, instead they pulled up the warranty information for the '15 Passat I previously owned. I then went back to the dealer, who refunded my diagnostic fee ($125) and when the correct VIN was used they could see the CPO warranty and it was covered. Also they noted an Ad Blue heater recall (service campaign). Neither parts were in but they are now on order and I should be able to get it all fixed either late this week or sometime next. Should be an all day thing according the the service department.

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
So they pulled up attempted warranty info not with the the VIN# sitting in the garage?

That's concerning....

If I bought a used car from someone in Florida with cash and took it to a dealer in Washington, and said it might have issues, they wouldn't be using my name. Seems they'd run the VIN.

But I might just be an idiot too.

I had that experience with a half ton Silverado. Bought it used. Took it in for a shift solenoid 2 years later.

It Came back with new abs module, new wiper motor, new maf, a/c compressor, new fuel rail line, and a few other things.

Said ***! They gave me the paper and the VIN family of that truck had a bunch of recalls. $0.00 besides what I actually brought the truck in for.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
So they pulled up attempted warranty info not with the the VIN# sitting in the garage?

That's concerning....
If I wasn't also amused I would probably be pissed. I reviewed my dash cam tonight and unless they unplugged it (which is possible) I don't think it ever moved, nor did anyone attempt to turn it on for diagnostic. So other than the guy who checked the car in it may never have been looked at. I'm dropping it off tomorrow and getting a loaner because they think this will take days to do. I tried explaining this wasn't the JSW the technicians were saying they had to pull the dash out, this was accessed with the dash in. I verified the instructions in ErWin Repair Group 87 3.13.1 and with this forum, so we will see how they handle it. As for dash removal, I've done that in an A5 Jetta (JSW similar) down to the firewall, so I know what is involved there.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
ahhh dealers, some say they don't suck, proof is very thin on that statement.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)

there was a guy who changed his coolant on here with a shop vac, just pull the drivers side upper hose- and put the shop vac on the expansion tank. pulled a lot of nasty stuff out- took 3 flushes

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Follow up: The dealer replaced the heater core, and flushed the system twice. I now have heat on both sides. All covered under the extended TDI warranty, not the CPO warranty.