Fair Price For a CPO 2015 Passat TDI SEL

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I'm looking at CPO 2015 Passat TDI SEL's with less than 35k miles. They seem to be going in the high teens. But those are asking prices. Anyone have a good handle on what real world actual selling prices are?

If they're asking $18.5k - $20k, do you think I could get one for $16,500 or $17k (including Doc fee)?

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Offer that price. If they sell you a car at that price, then it can be done. They want to sell you a car - it costs them money to keep it and not sell it.

Ripster

TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI (sold), 2015 Passat SEL TDI, 2005 Cummins
I shopped for over a month for mine, but I was very picky. Had to be blue exterior/black interior. Every dealer I talked to had wiggle room, but the MD dealers were predominately higher than the surrounding states. Northern VA had some great prices, but not the exact car I wanted. I finally found mine in DE listed for $19,999. They matched the VA prices and I got it for $18,500. Good luck.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
I think they're asking way too much, given the car is three years old and you can get a new gasser for just a little more. That said, it's supply vs. demand, and demand for the 2015 TDIs is high. I wound up with an SE that I paid $14,300 for before TTL, at 27k miles. That seemed to be a very good price to me, and was $2.7k under asking price. I'd bet you can knock off $1-2k from asking price on the SEL, but pay attention to how long cars are staying on lots in your area. In mine, they've mostly been selling within a week or two of hitting a lot, so dealers are generally not dealing very much. (I was able to get mine down because it needed a lot of work - broken windshield, dented quarter panel, not yet detailed - since it's CPO, VW took care of all the fixes before I took ownership, but the dealer still cut me a good deal on the sale.)

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I think they're asking way too much, given the car is three years old and you can get a new gasser for just a little more. That said, it's supply vs. demand, and demand for the 2015 TDIs is high. I wound up with an SE that I paid $14,300 for before TTL, at 27k miles. That seemed to be a very good price to me, and was $2.7k under asking price. I'd bet you can knock off $1-2k from asking price on the SEL, but pay attention to how long cars are staying on lots in your area. In mine, they've mostly been selling within a week or two of hitting a lot, so dealers are generally not dealing very much. (I was able to get mine down because it needed a lot of work - broken windshield, dented quarter panel, not yet detailed - since it's CPO, VW took care of all the fixes before I took ownership, but the dealer still cut me a good deal on the sale.)
Thanks for that info.

I'm beginning to lean toward getting a low mileage (under 35K) 2015 CPO gasser, either Passat or Jetta. Definitely the 1.8T engine. I should be able to get one for around $12k or $13k.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Thanks for that info.

I'm beginning to lean toward getting a low mileage (under 35K) 2015 CPO gasser, either Passat or Jetta. Definitely the 1.8T engine. I should be able to get one for around $12k or $13k.
Yeah. It's not a terrible idea. Those older gassers took a big hit in resale value because of the scandal too, even though they weren't affected. Pretty amazing pricing on many of them. I decided to pay a bit more for the diesel engine, and the incredibly good extended warranty (plus two-year bumper-to-bumper), but I can definitely understand going the other way.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah. It's not a terrible idea. Those older gassers took a big hit in resale value because of the scandal too, even though they weren't affected. Pretty amazing pricing on many of them. I decided to pay a bit more for the diesel engine, and the incredibly good extended warranty (plus two-year bumper-to-bumper), but I can definitely understand going the other way.

I still gotta drive both the gas Passat and Jetta and see how each feels. I plan to do that this weekend. Hopefully, the gasser won't disappoint. I'd save about $3k buying a gasser vs TDI. My plan is to buy the VW and also buy an early low mileage Porsche Boxster, both with the BB money, and very little additional cash, maybe none. So, I'll have an every day car, and a real fun car for the weekends driving through the curvy two lane roads all around me.

JKC_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Passat TDI DSG | '15 Passat TDI SE Manual (sold 7/2018) | '10 Jetta Wagon TDI manual (sold 4/2015)
Another data point: I bought a (phase 1 fixed) Passat TDI SE DSG (+sunroof) with 40.3k mi in Feb '18 with an OTD price of $15.8K. Asking price was ~16k w/OTD ~17k. Asking price had been dropping $500/mo as it sat on the lot. I was watching the market because I had similar car to sell back to VW and wanted to replace with an "emissions fixed" example of same. I ended up buying the "replacement" in Feb'18 and doing the "buyback" on the other car in Jul'18.

As an aside - I had phase 2 fix applied to my "new" '15 Passat this week (Aug'18)...the jury is still out on my opinion of phase 2. My car seems to have "changed" somewhat in terms of drivability...but I want to withhold judgement until I have some more time with it. I was still getting used to the DSG vs 6M transmission at the time of the fix and I want my opinion of the (phase 1 vs phase 1+2) "fixed" car user experience to be fair from an end user standpoint without a transmission opinion bias.

Last edited:

Penst8grad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
We just had a blue/ black 29k mile Passat TDI SEL delivered Monday. It was the 4th time we tried to buy one. 2 of 3 times we failed was because of dealers including the 1st one who wouldn't budge on $500 so we walked.

We bought it from Carvana. It cost $18.3k from them but they did $8.5k trade on a vehicle that the best a dealer was offering was $5.5. They do have a few on their site now.*

My wife also had wanted Blue/Black with other options such as moonroof, heated seats, etc.

*I am in no way associated with Carvana other than I bought a car there.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I still gotta drive both the gas Passat and Jetta and see how each feels. I plan to do that this weekend. Hopefully, the gasser won't disappoint. I'd save about $3k buying a gasser vs TDI. My plan is to buy the VW and also buy an early low mileage Porsche Boxster, both with the BB money, and very little additional cash, maybe none. So, I'll have an every day car, and a real fun car for the weekends driving through the curvy two lane roads all around me.

No offense, the 3K on the TDI is way worth it over the TSI. While there is nothing wrong with the TSI, the Passat TDI is just about perfect for a highway cruiser. I'm dreading the time the wife wants something different, I'm hoping at least 2022. We've put about 4K on our '15 in the past 2 months visiting family + her normal commute, it makes 4 hour drives so much more enjoyable.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
No offense, the 3K on the TDI is way worth it over the TSI. While there is nothing wrong with the TSI, the Passat TDI is just about perfect for a highway cruiser. I'm dreading the time the wife wants something different, I'm hoping at least 2022. We've put about 4K on our '15 in the past 2 months visiting family + her normal commute, it makes 4 hour drives so much more enjoyable.

No offense taken. If I were driving 2,000 highway miles a month, this would be a no-brainer, I'd get the TDI. But that's not my driving, at least not anymore. It used to be with my son playing travel hockey, but that's the past, not the present or the future. Now, most of my driving is fairly local, half local streets, half highway, most trips under 15 miles. My annual mileage going forward is probably around 12k.

Given all that, I don't know if it's worth the extra ~$3k. The TSI is faster too. Not immediately off the line, but once you're over 15 mph it is. Or at least that's the way it felt to me when I test drove a 2015 TSI the other day.

SailTAP300

TDI
2015 Passat TDI-SE w/ Sunroof; and 2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1
Passat TDI Purchase

FYI - I bought a 2015 Passat TDI SE with 18,400 miles for $14,500 + TT + $299 stealer fee over July 4th weekend. One owner, clean CarFax, "born and raised" in Florida, gray with gray interior.
My brother bought a 2015 Passat TDI SE with 18,900 miles for $15,000 + TT + $299 stealer fee from the same place over Memorial Day weekend. Also one owner, clean CarFax and "born and raised" in Florida. It is blue with the corn silk interior.
Each car had been bought back by Volkswagen and had the first phase emissions modifications done.
We are each very satisfied with our respective purchase.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI - I bought a 2015 Passat TDI SE with 18,400 miles for $14,500 + TT + $299 stealer fee over July 4th weekend. One owner, clean CarFax, "born and raised" in Florida, gray with gray interior.
My brother bought a 2015 Passat TDI SE with 18,900 miles for $15,000 + TT + $299 stealer fee from the same place over Memorial Day weekend. Also one owner, clean CarFax and "born and raised" in Florida. It is blue with the corn silk interior.
Each car had been bought back by Volkswagen and had the first phase emissions modifications done.
We are each very satisfied with our respective purchase.

Those are attractive prices. A little more than what TSI's are going for, but not $3k more. I figure that after negotiating I can get a TSI SE for around $12 - $12.5k. Maybe I'm wrong.

The dealer where I did my test drive over the weekend told me that they don't charge more for TDI vs TSI, all other things being equal. That was a bit of a shocker. I said to them, "That's not what I've been seeing. Maybe that's because you overcharge for TSI's" In any event, they said they expect a whole bunch of TDIs coming in soon which they bought from VWOA and they'll call me. But like most dealers, they probably won't call. Amazing how these places stay in business.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Florida prices seem to be much better across the board for the remarketed TDI's. Seems like its a buyer's market there and a seller's market everywhere else.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Florida prices seem to be much better across the board for the remarketed TDI's. Seems like its a buyer's market there and a seller's market everywhere else.
Nope, not really. Just checked a few prices there. Prices for remarketed TDI's are all over the place.