2014 Passat TDI Oil Filter Removal

kobetzl

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Is there any easy way to remove the oil filter from a 2.0 L TDI 2014 Passat without removing any of the coolant tubes or sensor connectors? :confused:

If not, what is the easiest ones to move? Any recommended videos to watch?

Thanks
Larry K

VeeDubFamily

TDI
2013 NMS Passat TDI SEL
Is there any easy way to remove the oil filter from a 2.0 L TDI 2014 Passat without removing any of the coolant tubes or sensor connectors? :confused:

If not, what is the easiest ones to move? Any recommended videos to watch?

Thanks
Larry K

https://youtu.be/6zryOaT56z8

I’ve only ever done what’s in this video. Never had a problem or removed any hoses.

‘13 TDI 164k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
its tight, angle it a tad towards the drivers side

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I remove one black polymer harness hold down just above the filter which allows the harness to be moved aside. It's a tight fit but doable, tilt filter cap toward driver's side.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I've also unbolted the HP EGR hard line and mounting bracket half way to gain a few extra mm of clearance.

IMO the '15 while being a bit messier, it is easier than the 12-14 Passat TDI just for this fact.

kobetzl

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Unfortunately for me, mine doesn't look exactly like the one in the video. That harness bracket is in a different spot. Still no room without removing the EGR hard line.
Thanks for the response.

Thanks to all especially 740GLE, since that is what I'll probably have to do.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You should not have to remove the EGR tube, even though it would make it easier. The CKRA is tight, and they also unfortunately have a plastic oil filter housing as well as cap, which means you have to be extra careful when going back together as to not get it cross threaded.

Just remember to loosen the filter cap FIRST, by a few turns, not enough to let any oil leak out, but enough to let the filter housing drain down in to the oil pan, then while it is loose, remove the drain plug. Let it sit and drain like that for as long as possible. You'll minimize the mess that way, and if you do it right, the filter will be almost dry (not dripping) when you pull it out.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
yup, crack the filter loose- remove drain plug and return later in the evening when everything is empty and cool. This goes for the DSG as well

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
for me it was loosen the egr hose or beat up/man handle the drivers side wiring harness, I figured even at doing it once every 10K it was only going to be a mater of time before issues would pop up.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I changed the oil and filter for the first time on my ‘14 passat last night, the filter is definitely tight. I moved the injector wiring harness out of the way (mine had the injector seals replaced 5,000 miles ago) and then wiggled the filter and cap out. I had a hard time putting the filter assembly back in, it took a lot of wiggling to get it back in the hole and tightened down. I have a ‘13 beetle tdi and ‘05 bug 2.0 gas as well, ‘13 bug was the easiest oil change of the three.