Cool, calm and collected

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
Did a recent trip through the desert while a heat wave was going on. 112 degrees outside !

Tdi did great, never broke a sweat. Took a nap with the engine idling with the a/c on, never heard a high speed fan come on. Definitely couldn't do that with a gasser I think.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
what'd you have the AC system set to? Fan 2, 3 max cold with recirc?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
shady while driving? any tint?

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
shady while driving? any tint?

no, parked under a tree for the nap. No tint, but I do have oem shades for the side windows.

Recently bought a silver dash cover to cut down on the high BTU's radiating from the black dash though. Dash gets crazy hot without it and pretty much cancels out the A/C

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
no, parked under a tree for the nap. No tint, but I do have oem shades for the side windows.
Recently bought a silver dash cover to cut down on the high BTU's radiating from the black dash though. Dash gets crazy hot without it and pretty much cancels out the A/C
I think I'm going to apply reflective window film to the outside of the pano glass as well

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That was one of the big reasons I didn't want my JSW with the pano. It gets hot enough down here in the Carolinas without a large heat sink built into the roof.

Ooga

TDI
Mk7 SportWagen

what is this silver dash thing you speak of? pics or link?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In Hawaii, practically every car i saw had carpet cut outs placed on the dash, i believe they are custom cut. Yeah it looks hooky but comfort over looks.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
what is this silver dash thing you speak of? pics or link?

Just a "dashmat" which can be ordered for about $30 online. They are computer cut to fit and come in different colors and fabrics. I only use it during the hotter months.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Another thing that gets me is that in my state, no tint is allowed on the front windows. Even with my OEM sunshades in all windows rear of the B pillar and the OEM reflective windshield visor, if direct sunlight shines on the leatherette seats through my unprotected front side windows, the seat surfaces are sizzling HOT. Wish I could have gotten cloth seats.

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
Another thing that gets me is that in my state, no tint is allowed on the front windows. Even with my OEM sunshades in all windows rear of the B pillar and the OEM reflective windshield visor, if direct sunlight shines on the leatherette seats through my unprotected front side windows, the seat surfaces are sizzling HOT. Wish I could have gotten cloth seats.
Most of the better tint shops in southern states are now offering clear ceramic film that cuts this radiant heat by ~75℅. It's clear with no tint to it, so no issue with laws. They even install it on windshields. The reduction in radiant heat blast (through front windshield and off front dash surface) with this film installed is amazing, and you'd never know it's there.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Huper Optik has some too.

Ceramic series

Single Pane VLT% VLR % TSER % SC SHGC UVLR % IRR % Glare Reduction % U-Value
Klar85 85% 8% 32% 0.79 0.68 99% 42% 4% 0.99

cristoaca

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S
Thank you all. I was quoted $200 for Suntek cxp 85. Thoughts?
Will look for places that have the films you recommended too.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Is that for the front window only? I think that's around what I paid for mine.

I found a link comparing llumar CTX to Suntek CTX
https://www.tintdude.com/forum/topic/86873-suntek-cxp-vs-llumar-ctx/

Just remember that the AIR I recommended is because of how much heat/uv rejection it offers, not light rejection. I'd be surprised if your state allows tint on front windows.

Last edited:

cristoaca

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S
Yes, $200 only for the windshield, with that film.
Thank you for the link.
Yo are correct, tinting the front is not legal in this state (even clear, which is what 80 & 85 are...) I'm taking the chance since it's almost unnoticeable.
Looking for Heat and UV rejection too, not darkness.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Check out 3M Crystalline 90 as well for windshields.

I have Crystalline in my GTI and it’s wonderful for heat rejection; one of the tops if not the top on the market and priced accordingly.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Did you watch that video I posted above? That stuff seems to come off pretty easily when washed/scrubbed for any reason. Not embedded in the film. I would be somewhat hesitant to buy that due to that fact. What happens when you clean it multiple times? The others seem to have the stuff made into the film and not just a coating or at least more durable.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Check out 3M Crystalline 90 as well for windshields.

I have Crystalline in my GTI and it’s wonderful for heat rejection; one of the tops if not the top on the market and priced accordingly.
Any excessive reflection of the dashboard with the Crystaline 90 on the windshield?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Unless you are doing it yourself, the discussion between the industry leaders is most likely irrelevant. The tint shop you have available will use the one they've been using; that is, I've only ever seen shops offer LLumar *or* 3M *or* Huper rather than you getting to choose one. I don't think customers choose tints based on how clear they are, so often these shops don't have a lot of showroom or inventory devoted to the speciality stuff.

I'm in the desert, so maybe it's just a regional thing but I vaguely remember when I was in the pacific northwest that tint shops were the same way: handed you a panel with a few different darknesses and asking you which one you preferred almost always erring on the side of about 1 step beyond the legal limit for the state.

Anyway, my point is that if you go into a tint shop and request LLumar AIR 80 and they reply that they only carry 3M Crystelline then you aren't going to get better results requesting that they install a tint they aren't familiar with compared to whatever minute differences exist between 3M and LLumar high heat rejection/transparent type tints.

Only other consideration in this thread I'd point out would be to pay attention to people's location. For example, I'd suspect that someone from Texas or the desert would have done extensive research on these types of specialty tints that other residents might not have to worry about. For example, I'm posting this at 10:15AM PST and it's 106F. Someone living in the conditions I'm in might actually need to search out that last 1% difference, if it even exists, but that's not likely to be as relevant to someone who isn't living within these harsh conditions.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It seems when you choose a tint brand you have to search out the installer that does that brand. It isn't that you go to an installer and choose a tint as much as you choose a tint and then find an installer. We are having the same conditions as you right now in Texas and it is imperative to find one with the most heat rejection for me. Huper works very well, is durable and comes in a clear that Texas allows on the whole windshield. I have used it on my last 4 cars and it is amazing the difference it makes in how well the AC works on hot days. This will be the first time I will have it installed on the windshield though.

cristoaca

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S
Found LLumar Air 80 for $150. Shop has good reviews. Scheduled for next week. Not sure if it'll come with any warranty since it's illegal...
Thank you everyone.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Found LLumar Air 80 for $150. Shop has good reviews. Scheduled for next week. Not sure if it'll come with any warranty since it's illegal...
Thank you everyone.

State tint law shouldn't have any effect on the product warranty.