2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Is there anyone who has a valid claim and has had phase2 completed, but not the complete fix (DPF not replaced). If yes, did you get the restitution payment for just having the first part of phase 2 done?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I've have an approved claim with VOA and have received the restitution $ for having Phase 1 completed.
Now on to Phase 2. With < 70,000 miles on my 6-speed I'll get the 2nd NOX sensor, software fix, but no DPF just yet.
If I get what I just described, will I get P2 restitution, or does the entire fix (DPF replacement) have to be completed?

Should get payment when you get phase 2 fix, and for you the phase 2 fix is the NOx sensor and coding. If you were over the miles, you'd get the other fix.

The DPF and other hardware is covered under the extended warranty.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Should get payment when you get phase 2 fix, and for you the phase 2 fix is the NOx sensor and coding. If you were over the miles, you'd get the other fix.
The DPF and other hardware is covered under the extended warranty.
Now that makes sense. I guess that was one of the courts decisions to make us somewhat "whole again". :) Not that it would be needed but at 70,000 miles (manual) we'll replace your DPF and the NOx (2nd time) to make sure your emissions system will perform as designed for it's projected life of 150,000 miles.
Was there something that the software flash did to "tax" the DPF more than it would have been pre Phase 1? Why did they single it out and make it part of P2 instead of just saying... "Going forward any emissions systems issues will be covered under the extended warranty put in place when P2 was performed?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
There is speculation that the DPF has been impacted more now that the software is presumably calling for more frequent regenerations than it was coded to do while in cheat mode. How much it's impacted are unknown since the testing procedures to certify the fix were accelerated (I think, not sure on this point) and so this is a pre-emptive replacement to ensure compliance rather than any actual data indicating replacement is necessary.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With reports of phase 1 hitting milage limit consistently at 240-260, I'm wondering if phase 2 allows the pressure and measured soot to factor into regens to maybe strech it to 300-400 miles for those light footed drivers.

That right there may reduce regens and extend the life of the equipment quite a bit for the road warriors.

But, the sticking point is to remember the issue has always been NOx and the dosing for the catalyst, so maybe we should be worried about the life of the SCR catalyst more than the DPF.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
With reports of phase 1 hitting milage limit consistently at 240-260, I'm wondering if phase 2 allows the pressure and measured soot to factor into regens to maybe strech it to 300-400 miles for those light footed drivers.
I haven't experienced mid-200 tanks and neither have any of my friends so I'm not sure where these reports are coming from but they aren't accurate according to my observations.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Bizzie,

I don’t think they referring to fuel mileage.

I think they are talking about mileage between DPF regenerations

tdi4ty

TDI
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI DSG
Haven't been around in awhile due to a week of vacation, and a week of work related trips, but just an update. The coolant issue was fixed by the dealer's tech that also did my PII, and as he was driving the vehicle, the coolant issue came about again. Come to find out, my radiator was cracked in two areas as well as the same coolant line was broken from the new packing. Not sure how this happened? Anyways, VW Care would not compensate me for my vehicle (as I have been trying to get them to do so) as the tech found other issues that have appeared before (primarily electrical issues) with the vehicle once more. At this point I was frustrated and still am. The GM of the dealer stepped in at this point since VW didn't seem to care about my TDI or my satisfaction with the vehicle (or rather my safety since this car has left me stranded multiple times). Ended up doing a even swap with a lease on a 2018 Jetta SE Manual with every option available. It is not a TDI, but I just wanted out of that car with all of its issues. Currently my case with VW is in its Restitution area, so unsure of how this is going to go with them. I do miss the torque on the TDI, but it feels much nicer to be rowing my own gears again. I hope you all have much better luck than I have with my TDI. I still plan on getting another TDI, but I will be looking into the older 90's- early 00's models instead.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
On the EA288, the DPF and the SCR are one and the same.
Methinks you’re confusing the oxidizing catalytic converter, which is integrated with the DPF, with the SCR which is farther downstream and injects AdBlue.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was under the assumption that SCR and DPF are two separate parts per the recall information, no? They don’t appear to be “one and the same” per the earlier poster. I’m not a mechanic, so honestly asking.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
On the earlier cars pre 2015 I think what you said was true. The scr part was far back in the tailpipe. Now it looks like they moved it up near the dpf and cat. they may still be separate parts or integrated into one. IIRC there is a benefit to having them up close as possible to the engine. The EA288 isn't the same as the earlier engines.

Jsuttin

TDI
2003 jetta wagon [SOLD], 2015 Golf S
Completed Phase 2 on my 2015 TDI Manual. Dropped of Wednesday morning and picked up Friday afternoon. No discernible difference in the 15 minute ride back home. After 3 days in a loaner car (Golf TSI) it was nice to back in the Diesel. Will post if I notice anything different in terms of performance or fuel consumption based on a larger sampling of driving. So far, so good. Just over 50K miles so if I understand correctly, at 70k there will be an additional covered service. Full phase 2 restitution should be on the way.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I haven't experienced mid-200 tanks and neither have any of my friends so I'm not sure where these reports are coming from but they aren't accurate according to my observations.

not 200 miles per tank, but mid 200 miles before the DPF regens, my mistake for not being more clear.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On the EA288, the DPF and the SCR are one and the same.
Which makes sense seeing the DEF injector is up in the engine bay right near the DPF (and SCR) canister. My bad for thinking they were separate like the Gen 2 cars.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you guys getting phase 2 taking them straight to the dealership? I called my local lot and was told to finish my claim via the portal. I just received notification today that I'm not eligible to participate...

So I either appeal to CRC or call my local lot and ask if I can just bring it on down.

rperks

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf green(sold) 2015 GSW BLK
For what its worth I had the phase 2 last week, light burning smell at startup that passed quickly after running a bit. Today, about a week and 300 miles after I had smoke coming out at a red light as a regen cycle started, was a couple miles from the dealer that did the work, and just rolled right up, popped the hood and let it blow smoke in front of them. not exactly sure where it was coming from, but the whole engine bay was warmer than normal, and the plug where folks are getting the DEF leak was so hot the zinc plating on the metal was starting to turn brown/bronze. I have watched it regen before the phase 2, and while warm it was never like this. I miss my 2000 that now seems like such a simple machine

They have it, and said something about a gasket leaking....will see what tomorrow brings while they work at making it right

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Haven't been around in awhile due to a week of vacation, and a week of work related trips, but just an update. The coolant issue was fixed by the dealer's tech that also did my PII, and as he was driving the vehicle, the coolant issue came about again. Come to find out, my radiator was cracked in two areas as well as the same coolant line was broken from the new packing. Not sure how this happened? Anyways, VW Care would not compensate me for my vehicle (as I have been trying to get them to do so) as the tech found other issues that have appeared before (primarily electrical issues) with the vehicle once more. At this point I was frustrated and still am. The GM of the dealer stepped in at this point since VW didn't seem to care about my TDI or my satisfaction with the vehicle (or rather my safety since this car has left me stranded multiple times). Ended up doing a even swap with a lease on a 2018 Jetta SE Manual with every option available. It is not a TDI, but I just wanted out of that car with all of its issues. Currently my case with VW is in its Restitution area, so unsure of how this is going to go with them. I do miss the torque on the TDI, but it feels much nicer to be rowing my own gears again. I hope you all have much better luck than I have with my TDI. I still plan on getting another TDI, but I will be looking into the older 90's- early 00's models instead.

Sorry your experience was so problematic, and good luck with the new Jetta!

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are you guys getting phase 2 taking them straight to the dealership? I called my local lot and was told to finish my claim via the portal. I just received notification today that I'm not eligible to participate...

So I either appeal to CRC or call my local lot and ask if I can just bring it on down.
The Phase 2 fix is a recall item. Yes, you go to a dealer for the recall.

Some are eligible for restitution payments via the portal, and the Phase 2 completion is a trigger for payment. However, if you are not a restitution eligible owner, the portal is immaterial to getting your Phase 2 recall work done.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Is there anyone who has a valid claim and has had phase2 completed, but not the complete fix (DPF not replaced). If yes, did you get the restitution payment for just having the first part of phase 2 done?

You have something mixed up !
There is the Phase 1 which is strictly a software update
The Phase 2 is far more involved and has no part 1 and part 2 !!!!

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
2l EA288? The phase 2 definitely *can* have two parts. There is a documented 2a and 2b to the process. For low mileage, you get 2a - a software flash, and the new sensor and downpipe. If mileage is high enough, you get 2b - the DPF replacement. If mileage is low when 2a is installed, you get 2b at a later date . . . This is *extremely* well documented . . . .

- Tim

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
2l EA288? The phase 2 definitely *can* have two parts. There is a documented 2a and 2b to the process. For low mileage, you get 2a - a software flash, and the new sensor and downpipe. If mileage is high enough, you get 2b - the DPF replacement. If mileage is low when 2a is installed, you get 2b at a later date . . . This is *extremely* well documented . . . .

- Tim

Yep. First question my service advisor asked: does it have over 40K miles? Did not ask for a claim number and did not need anything else but the VIN.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Its only two parts as far as what kit you get and the parts that are installed on the car.

After you get 2A you should meet the same emissions limits as those that got 2B, I haven't heard if people have done sniff tests to confirm.

For those original owners to get remaining payment they need either kit vw deemed they need to meet phase 2. Then it's up to the warranty to cover replacement parts for the remainder of the warranty period, at the first CEL you get, you won't get a "kit" per-say but more along the lines of replace what ever fails, DPF EGR cooler, SCR pump DEF injector.

Show me where its documented it's 2A then followed by 2B at a later date? I read the documentation that it's known the warranty will be picking up the tab for replacement parts just not the whole 2B kit. Maybe I'm wrong.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
. . . and once you cross the 40K mile marker, you go back in and get 2b . . . and possibly again at a yet even higher mileage (not certain on the last . . . ).

- Tim

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg