Original BRM Camshaft and Dsg Trans, Numbers don't lie

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Saw this and thought I would post this given the impressive statistics on the original cam and transmission. The owner shares a few maintenance tips. I wonder if this guy is on tdiclub?

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/d/vw-jetta-tdi-diesel/6561253696.html

2006 vw jetta

fuel: diesel
odometer: 339000
title status: clean
transmission: automatic

In very good condition, always garaged, I have two working key fobs for the jetta

original dsg transmission failed at 299k and was replaced
timing belt, water pump and camshaft done at 299k(preformed during transmission change)
DSG fluid change every 40k with proper vw brand fluid
Oil changes performed every 7.5k with pentosin 5w-40 synthetic, 505.01
This as the BRM enginE

new starter at 334k
two front wheel bearings at 320k
weather tech floor liners
coolant system was just flushed and serviced with g13, in the past 2 months along with a fuel filter change
ac and heat both work
New tires, wheel bearings and breaks

Car is in exceptional condition for having 339k miles
Clean west virgina title in hand, will consider trades for a long bed truck or a older jetta with a alh motor

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
Texting with him, he wanted either cash or trade for low mileage ALH car. I have one but he wants a perfect car like his!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Says transmission was replaced at 299K. Not original. But it looks like a clean car.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
I was shocked to see the original cam and transmission go until 299k. I think if you can get 350-400k out of the brm you have done well given all the problems they have, are there any with over 400-500k driving around still?

Last edited:

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
The BRM engines are pretty stout after taking care of the cam and harness issues. There's a few out there with over 400. A failed DSG surprises me, unless if it was the flywheel that let loose.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I just did a service on a BRM today that has 406k miles. They hold up just fine if you take care of them. And the car in general seems to age better than the A4s do, save for the headliners. For some reason, A5 headliners shrink up bad. They use the same material BMW does (and those do the same thing).

Here is another I serviced recently:

I think I have about eight BRM cars now with over 400k coming in here.

oilhammer

TDI
About half, maybe even more than half of all the BRM cars I see total are DSGs.

Despite what I would have guessed early on, the 02E DSG has proven to be a pretty reliable transmission. We do lots of DMFs, and I have done a few M-units, a couple clutches, but that's about it. If you can tolerate the way they operate, they hold up fine.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
I just did a service on a BRM today that has 406k miles. They hold up just fine if you take care of them. And the car in general seems to age better than the A4s do, save for the headliners. For some reason, A5 headliners shrink up bad. They use the same material BMW does (and those do the same thing).

Here is another I serviced recently:

I think I have about eight BRM cars now with over 400k coming in here.

Impressive looks like owners are really sticking to them and expecting/aiming for half a million miles, I wonder if they lucked out and didn't have to replace and repair every known mkv jetta issue..

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
A lot of them have had the usual stuff done.... EGR coolers, door harnesses, recirc servos, RCVs, etc.

But given how well the cars hold up overall, and how well they drive, I'd say it is still pretty good.

I mean, you can drive a well maintained 300k+ mile A5 Jetta and they "feel" perfectly fine... drive a 300k mile Cobalt (if you can even find one), and they feel like they are going to fly apart at the seems. :p

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I can vouch for Oilhammer on the headliner issue. Mine is 245,000 miles. Original cam replace the DMF and wiring harness. Timing belts and DSG service done by Jason.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I mean, you can drive a well maintained 300k+ mile A5 Jetta and they "feel" perfectly fine...drive a 300k mile Cobalt (if you can even find one), and they feel like they are going to fly apart at the seems.
I had some work done because I curbed the R/H tire real hard and when I suggested that being at 175K miles maybe it was a good time to do a suspension refresh. The VW tech got a real puzzled looked on his faced and mentioned that the only suspension work he could ever remember doing on an A5 was for crash damage and boy racers "gotta have" handling downgrades.

Driving a Cobalt makes as much economic sense as buying Chinese auto parts for your Dub.

gopher

high mileage MK5

I have a 2005.5 Jetta TDI, current mileage 505,000 miles, original transmission (DRG), camshaft and flywheel changed at 343,000 miles. No other driveline changes, transmission fluid/filter changed every 40,000 miles, 25000 mile changes of transmission oil/fuel filters. 505.01 oil and filter changes every 3500 miles. original 3 of 4 brake pads, obviously conservative driving habits. Too bad we will not be able to participate in VW"s latest diesel offerings.

Last edited:

gopher

high mileage MK5

I am original owner of 2005.5 Jetta TDI, currently 505,000 miles, original DRG transmission, fluid and filter changed every 40,000 miles. Camshaft and flywheel changed at 343,000 miles. Air and fuel filters changed every 25,000 miles. 505.01 oil and filter changes every 3500 miles. Original turbo, no other driveline repairs. Original 3 of 4 brake pads. Obviously, conservative driving habits and maintenance key to longevity of the VW and any vehicle. Too bad we wont be able to enjoy to new VW diesel offerings but diesel future secure in light of Boschs development of NO2 control.

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
Just bought an 06 with 343,000 miles. Cam is worn but I think it is the first cam. Records show TB replacement but no cam. Nice car overall, headliner ofcource but paint and interior nice.