TDI Phase 2

jfc2697

TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6Speed
When will I receive the restitution payment if I choose the Approved Emissions Modification option?

Under the terms of the Settlements, if you choose the Approved Emissions Modification option, you will receive the restitution payment when you take your car to a dealership and the Approved Emissions Modification is installed. This creates an incentive for eligible owners to complete the Approved Emissions Modification, resulting in less pollution being emitted by eligible vehicles.

It is anticipated that the 2015 model year TDI vehicles (also known as the “Generation 3 vehicles) will require two dealer visits to complete the Approved Emissions Modification. Two-thirds of the restitution payment will be paid on the first visit to the dealer, and one-third will be paid on the second visit. A free oil change also will be provided for generation three vehicles on the second dealer visit.
You get the $$ in 3 days once it's complete. On the 1st fix i had my $$ in 2 days.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
You get the $$ in 3 days once it's complete. On the 1st fix i had my $$ in 2 days.
I see you did the same thing I did (I deleted my post)... Ha ha

He actually should have quoted the message above his as he was initially asking about the oil change on phase 2 service. He pulled the language from the Dieselgate documentation that starts with, "When will I get....". [emoji41]

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I see you did the same thing I did (I deleted my post)... Ha ha

He actually should have quoted the message above his as he was initially asking about the oil change on phase 2 service. He pulled the language from the Dieselgate documentation that starts with, "When will I get....". [emoji41]
Thanks, My bad. I thought the bold type would be enough to answer 740GLE's question.

Geist296

TDI
2015 GSW SEL DSG White with Quartz/Black interior
I got to thinking about this.... The longer they wait to roll it out the less cars there will be with under 40,000 miles. That would significantly reduce VWoAs costs.
After what I read and what my dealer told me today I went in looking for something. I saw a Passat up on the rack and the mechanic was doing something to the exhaust, so I asked. He said oh yeah Phase2 has started and that Passat was probably the 4th car they have done already. He said I should have gotten an email( I have not ) he said call next week if I don't get one by then. Anyway back to your comment on the mileage. How do you figure cars being over 40k would be less costly? Service guy told me today because I specifically asked. If over 40k you get DPF and NOX and back replaced and all brand new with the 2nd sensor added to the system. So if you car is under 40k you get the pipe with the second sensor and the update to accept the 2nd sensor vs. the complete exhaust and we all know how expensive the full exhaust is.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
After what I read and what my dealer told me today I went in looking for something. I saw a Passat up on the rack and the mechanic was doing something to the exhaust, so I asked. He said oh yeah Phase2 has started and that Passat was probably the 4th car they have done already. He said I should have gotten an email( I have not ) he said call next week if I don't get one by then. Anyway back to your comment on the mileage. How do you figure cars being over 40k would be less costly? Service guy told me today because I specifically asked. If over 40k you get DPF and NOX and back replaced and all brand new with the 2nd sensor added to the system. So if you car is under 40k you get the pipe with the second sensor and the update to accept the 2nd sensor vs. the complete exhaust and we all know how expensive the full exhaust is.
From what ive seen if less than 40k miles youll get a second phase II sometime before 150k miles at which point everything turbo back is replaced. Dont quote me cause i dont remember where i saw that.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Hmm. Where would that documentation be? Something that we signed when we cashed in our old cars or something with purchasing a '15 with the partial software fix?
From what ive seen if less than 40k miles youll get a second phase II sometime before 150k miles at which point everything turbo back is replaced. Dont quote me cause i dont remember where i saw that.
Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
For the low mileage cars it says this:

"at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will
need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time,
before it reaches 150,000 miles."

So it looks like a third trip for a new DOC. Not a whole new exhaust. But the warranty covers anything if you have an issue.

Last edited:

This_Fuggin_Guy

TDI
2015 GSW
Glad to see more people getting notified about the fix.

I also received a letter in the mail from VWOA about the phase 2 fix yesterday.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
I have appointment for next Thursday. Will be the first Phase 2 they're doing. I was their first Phase 1 too.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I'm 3rd in line. Sometime next month hopefully. They said their first trial is may 14th.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
we received a leter from VWoA for our Passat that parts are ready, no contact from the dealer though.

We're in no rush.

Glad to read the leagle mumbojumo, made sense there are two kits on the market depending on the cost of parts.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
So if you're around 30k w/dsg, should you go on in now or wait until after 40k? I'm still not clear what the best plan is.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Got my Phase II letter today. I just skimmed it but it looks like if you bought the car after the Phase I fix then they don't want you to come in just yet? I am going to have to sit down and read it more closely. My Passat is pre-Phase I purchased but the GSW is post Phase I.

Also the Passat is a manual tranny and has only 35,000 miles on it. I guess I should wait a while before bringing it in so I can extend the wear on the parts they will replace twice?

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
So if you're around 30k w/dsg, should you go on in now or wait until after 40k? I'm still not clear what the best plan is.
If I am understanding it right you should bring it in before 40K because they will replace emissions components AGAIN at a later date.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I'll try and scan the entire document later.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
OK so my GSW bought "new" last June 2017 Won't be going in for phase II until it reaches 70K. I think I got it.

Now I wonder if I can wait a year or three for the Passat (manual trans 70k window) to be done since that is a pre-Phase I car? And when I bring it in will it get the free tank of diesel and the "service" they are talking about? I have the letter I just need to "study" what they are saying I guess

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll try and scan the entire document later.

Aha. This is worded a bit differently than what was in the warranty booklet. So, if you purchased a new-old-stock (which all came with Phase I already applied), they will NOT give you the new DPF, DOC, and SCRC if you are under 40k dsg/70 manual. You can get the software and second NOx sensor now, but not the additional hardware. They ask that you come back sometime after 70K for that.

I wonder how adept VW dealers will be at replacing that equipment on people who come back in ten years and 160K miles on their car and still under warranty. Do you think they'll have those parts stocked in 2028 for our 2015s? :p

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I wonder how adept VW dealers will be at replacing that equipment on people who come back in ten years and 160K miles on their car and still under warranty. Do you think they'll have those parts stocked in 2028 for our 2015s? :p
I wondered that also. Especially since I don't drive as much as I used to.

JerseyMike

TDI
2013 Mk6 Golf TDI, 2013-2017
I'd imagine the parts will still be available as these engines will continue to exist in Europe for many more years. The ALH engines have been gone for 10+ years but parts still seem available.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd imagine the parts will still be available as these engines will continue to exist in Europe for many more years. The ALH engines have been gone for 10+ years but parts still seem available.
There was one, count em, one year of production of the EA288 in the US. The ALH was five years.

We'll see.

I'm going to push this off as long as possible in hope of getting a new DPF at 150k. I just don't want to miss a final date that VW quietly puts out there for when NOS owners must get their DPF by. Communication on VW's part will be key.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm fairly certain that there will be parts available. This is part of a settlement with the EPA and you can bet someone will be monitoring all these repairs for at least the next ten years if not longer.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm fairly certain that there will be parts available. This is part of a settlement with the EPA and you can bet someone will be monitoring all these repairs for at least the next ten years if not longer.
I hope so. It would be sweet to get a new DPF at 150k, no questions asked.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
No real need to put off the fix. It is also covered by warranty and if needed will be replaced under that. I would imagine there will be a cutoff date for the phase 2 fix anyway.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No real need to put off the fix. It is also covered by warranty and if needed will be replaced under that. I would imagine there will be a cutoff date for the phase 2 fix anyway.
I plan to get the Phase 2 fix this year before 40K (the software and 2nd NOx sensor), but there would be no point in coming in right at 70K to get the new DPF if you could push it out to 150k (or 161,999) miles.