Toyota Tacoma ALH Swaparoo!!

Mykl8

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI 5spd, 2015 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Hi Jimbote, I'm hoping to get started on a BHW swap into my 04 Tacoma this winter. A big concern I have is the diff to oil pan clearance. I saw the notch you made in the pan but the other pics of what I think of it being installed don't work because of the whole photobucket fiasco. Any chance you could repost them?
Just another option, I did a 2" body lift on my swap to gain diff to hood clearance. Might be an option :)

Reh5108

TDI
None yet
Just another option, I did a 2" body lift on my swap to gain diff to hood clearance. Might be an option :)
I'll probably do a1" BL but don't want to go more than that. I'd like my center of gravity to stay close to where it's at already and I'm not sure how well the extra leverage on the mounts would hold up to heavy offroading.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
AC eliminator bracket redo

been running a cheap dorman ac eliminator for an mk3 but lately the crappy little bearing has been making noise, it's cast into the plastic pulley so basically non serviceable... so i dug through my stash of AC compressors and found a suspect unit... gut it n' cut it !

backside showing the now angle cut piston bores... this bearing should last a looong time... the reason i chopped it down is the compressor as a whole runs really close to the taco cross member... this gives it plenty of room and is easier to remove/install

Last edited:

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Nice. I dont have an eliminator and just have the stock ALH compressor hanging out to keep a stock belt. I might have a little more room than you have. I though about doing somthing similar until I found a thread on how to convert a sanden compressor to run on grease so it can be used as an onboard air compressor. If it dosent work I like your band saw solution for a good high mile bearing.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Nice. I dont have an eliminator and just have the stock ALH compressor hanging out to keep a stock belt. I might have a little more room than you have. I though about doing somthing similar until I found a thread on how to convert a sanden compressor to run on grease so it can be used as an onboard air compressor. If it dosent work I like your band saw solution for a good high mile bearing.
can you share that link? my buddy is building aluminum bumpers and the front is doubling as an air tank
I love stuff like that!
junkyard dog !

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
Hi Jim,

What is your current clutch setup, and is it holding? I know you were on a 10" 5vze disk and PP with an upgraded pressure plate, but i see a reference to that setup slipping as well.

Trying to collect parts for my setup, and am trying to figure out the best direction to proceed. The 10" v6 setup seems like a great place to start.

I believe you are now on a tuned bv43 turbo setup? Is it safe to say that the ACT t020 pressure plate and dtx-136 disk will hold a 1.9 ALH with stock BHW turbo on it?

I wonder how something like this would work behind a TDI.
https://www.urdusa.com/competition-clutch-stage-ii-5vz-fe/

Again, thanks for cataloging all your progress along the way.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Hi Jim,

What is your current clutch setup, and is it holding? I know you were on a 10" 5vze disk and PP with an upgraded pressure plate, but i see a reference to that setup slipping as well.

Trying to collect parts for me setup, and am trying to figure out the best direction to proceed. The 10" v6 setup seems like a great place to start.

I believe you are now on a tuned bv43 turbo setup? Is it safe to say that the ACT t020 pressure plate and dtx-136 pressure plate will hold a 1.9 ALH with stock BHW turbo on it?

I wonder how something like this would work behind a TDI.
https://www.urdusa.com/competition-clutch-stage-ii-5vz-fe/

Again, thanks for cataloging all your progress along the way.
hey Vtp... i had the t020 pressure plate and my foot hurt after about ten minutes of driving...i pulled it and reinstalled the stock aisin PP... i would go with ctx107 and a disc with modified/hybrid friction material such as kevlar/sintered combo ..the ACT is brutally hard to push, i'm a fit 6ft 210lb dude and it was unbearable for a daily, not to mention it would certainly cause early failure on upstream components

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
Wow, glad I asked. Good to know.

I wonder if the Competition clutch that I linked would be a good choice. It does say that the pressure plate is modified, so maybe it would be the same problem as the ACT PP.

Do you know where a disk like that could be purchased by itself?

I also wonder if its worth a call to southbend. I have found them to be knowledgeable and willing to help with somewhat custom applications. They may be able to assemble something that would work well.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Wow, glad I asked. Good to know.

I wonder if the Competition clutch that I linked would be a good choice. It does say that the pressure plate is modified, so maybe it would be the same problem as the ACT PP.

Do you know where a disk like that could be purchased by itself?

I also wonder if its worth a call to southbend. I have found them to be knowledgeable and willing to help with somewhat custom applications. They may be able to assemble something that would work well.
Southbend might be a better choice for a clutch disc if built from all new parts, I had them modify a stock new DTX 136 and I was not happy with the results, still have not installed it

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
drama free update and steering wheel upgrade :)

been awhile since I've had news to report on the swap but over 165k miles since "completed" ....i did have an injection pump failure that left me dead in the water @ bank drive through... just normal maintenance items and a few upgrades that include; rear four leaf HD springs, tundra TRD 4x4 front coils and tundra bilstein 5100's, and a matrix/celica wheel upgrade ..love this one! my old wheel was from a third gen 4runner and the leather was starting to degrade and come unseamed so i picked up a matrix wheel and celica bag. Not a straightforward swap but doable in an hour. Had to cut and splice the celica airbag connector to my taco clockspring and modify the lower horn contact (i only have side to side horn now)... wheel is slightly smaller diameter with fatter ovalized cross section on the ring...but best of all? it's a three spoke! :D

dirty daily ;)

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI

small update... around 175k miles so far, upgraded the chra to a BV43A unit, and installed an ARB front bumper after giving up on the aluminum bumper project... trail gear rear going on tomorrow. ;)

one interesting thing of note; after installing the relatively hefty front bumper/winch combo the in cab vibes from the diesel are diminished by over 50% ... acts like a weighted vibration dampener ;)

Last edited:

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
How high are you boosting the bv43a? I love mine on the low end but loaded or up top leaves me wanting to finish the compound setup parts I have laying around.

Good to know on the bumper dampening the vibes. Bonus!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
How high are you boosting the bv43a? I love mine on the low end but loaded or up top leaves me wanting to finish the compound setup parts I have laying around.

Good to know on the bumper dampening the vibes. Bonus!
tune is set for 24psi... honestly the BV43A turbo feels a little better down low but not as good lit up as the BV43B.

tims944

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2006 mk5 tdi-SOLD 1989 944 s2 BHW swapped
tune is set for 24psi... honestly the BV43A turbo feels a little better down low but not as good lit up as the BV43B.
Mind if i ask your opinion on a bv43? i have a fresh rebuilt bv43 i put on my bhw, it cost me next to nothing especially after i sold my original 1749...
and it was rebuilt in germany not china...

i would imagine it has the cast compressor and turbine never really noticed but it worked perfect for my setup in terms of entry and exit

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Mind if i ask your opinion on a bv43? i have a fresh rebuilt bv43 i put on my bhw, it cost me next to nothing especially after i sold my original 1749...
and it was rebuilt in germany not china...
i would imagine it has the cast compressor and turbine never really noticed but it worked perfect for my setup in terms of entry and exit
great turbo, tiny bit of lag but moves a good bit of air.

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
just posted a TON of pics on my media bank.... two sections, one for this thread and one for the BHW/ALH hybrid. They are not in order but I may address that in the near future by cleaning up the broken photobucket links and replacing with the TDIclub hosted pics.
I gave trying to re-photo all the pics on my build after photobucket screwed everyone ,too maddening!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Lil' bit of an update. Over 200k miles so far and still driving it. Not compiling as many clicks due to splitting drive time with my TDI swapped westy and 05 golf. I did some maintenance back in November with new timing belt, valve guide seals and few other items. Running great still and probably the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
What mpgs have you been getting? I'm steadily getting 23 to 23.5. I've hit 24mpg a few times but barely.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd kill to hit 30s. The Passat towing all my kayaks and fishings gear got @35 towing at 75.

I'm running 285/70/17 mud terrains, 4.30 gears and approximately 4 to 5 inches of lift over stock, about how tall is your set up? I was hoping for 25 to 30 mpg.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I'd kill to hit 30s. The Passat towing all my kayaks and fishings gear got @35 towing at 75.

I'm running 285/70/17 mud terrains, 4.30 gears and approximately 4 to 5 inches of lift over stock, about how tall is your set up? I was hoping for 25 to 30 mpg.
265 70 17. Only a mild lift. Maybe 3" over stock. What's your tune setup?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Stage 2 Malone. I think my torsion value is around .05 but I cannot recall, been a while since I installed the cam.

The difference in tire size and lift could certainly be the difference maker.

Chuck78

TDI
Suzuki Samurai LWB / 1.9mTDI project, '02 1.9TDI Jetta Wagon Stage 1 tuned, '82 Rabbit Pickup 1.6TD
What mpgs have you been getting? I'm steadily getting 23 to 23.5. I've hit 24mpg a few times but barely.
I've heard guys on 33x12.5's or even 35" tires knocking down 28 to 33mpg consistently in their TDI swapped Toyota pickups 4Runners & Tacomas.
Have you had your injectors professionally set up and balanced in the past 100,000 miles? Are you running a good intercooler setup, and not sucking hot under-hood air into your intake? That's always a big issue with a lot of swaps. A cold air ducted airbox is exponentially better than hot under hood air particularly in warmer weather.

Miles on engine? What does the compression test at per cylinder?
What turbo?

Custom tunes by highly reputable tuners are really the way to go, spec'd for your exact turbo and nozzle size as well as injector setup. Generic "staged" tunes are okay if thats the only option...

I'm trying to keep the lift on my 2 swap projects to a minimum, just enough to clear the tires desired, that's the only reason to ever lift a vehicle is for more tire clearance. The tires are the only real ground clearance altering mod.
Low center of gravity is better for handling on road and off road, and better for aerodynamics.
I'm also using an aluminum ftont skid plate off a 1992-1999 Chevy Suburban for an air deflector up front to help with aero, and have a big steel skid plate for the middle of the Samurai also. Wish it was aluminum but I'll see if I can ever find a huge piece of plate aluminum for cheap or in the scrap yard.

I read of a guy using truck plastic bedliner insert floor section material for a belly pan on his VW TDI car and increasing fuel economy several mpg with the mod... Aerodynamics is a huge part of mpg.
Also obviously skinnier tires help a ton. 255/75r17 Yokohama Geolandar G003 M/T, 235/85R16, 265/75R16, 255/85R16 Interco TrXus MT radials, 33x10.5R15, Kenda Klever 33x9.5R15 (amazing tires), heck I was even considering running 215/85R16 tires on my Samurai for street use just to get real skinny...