2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
The fix was completed on my 2015 Golf Sportswagon today. It took 1 day.
They installed new tailpipe and cutout and upgraded software. Mileage not appreciably different, still 42+.
Power down and mileage up from my 2014 sportswagon which I turned in to VW last year. There may be a different final drive ratio.
Assuming it is a different design? Can you post a photo? How many miles on your GSW?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Thanks for that Fixmy59bug.
I did not buy a "buyback car" so I should get the entire fix. But with only 40k miles on the car I want to wait as long as I can before getting the new emissions hardware.
I wonder what the final date will wind up being for have phase 2 completed?
Might as well wait until then. I see no need replacing the DPF and other stuff with only 40k miles if I'm going to keep it many years.
I completely agree. My Passat has 55k on it now, and it has the 160k mile warranty. So I see no good reason to bring it for phase 2 until approx 155k. Lol.

My service advisor told me yesterday “Hey, Phase 2 goes live tomorrow. I’m going to write up your car tomorrow when you get in.”

I told him “**** no you aren’t going to”. Lol

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Well, my 15 is at the dealer today. They said it'd take 10hrs labor. Here goes nothing. I'll report on my experience and findings.

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Phase II

My Passat 2015 is scheduled to go to phase II next Wednesday May 02.
I only have 22K miles on it.
I was wondering if I should wait few more years before I bring it in for phase II...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
37K miles and new parts, interesting, I guess that's close enough to 40K.

Also looks like they need to take pictures of the installed units to send back to the mothership.

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
37K miles and new parts, interesting, I guess that's close enough to 40K.

Also looks like they need to take pictures of the installed units to send back to the mothership.
She's got 42k on it now (fixed my sig). :)

I should mention that this is only the 2nd TDI they've done so far, the other being a 15 Beetle. So, this is still a very new process and I hope I don't regret not waiting for them to iron out issues. The service writer said that on the 1st TDI, they ended up having to replace the glow plug module because there was a programming error. "They won't let me stock it, but we can overnight it." Sounds like there are multiple revisions/versions of the glow plug controller and the older ones cannot be flashed with the phase 2 software.

I am very, very excited to be done with this, so I didn't want to wait a day longer than necessary. I'll post photos of the mods if somebody doesn't first.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
My Passat 2015 is scheduled to go to phase II next Wednesday May 02.
I only have 22K miles on it.
I was wondering if I should wait few more years before I bring it in for phase II...
That's my dilemma. Been looking at the settlement website and can't find a date that phase two would have to be completed by and still get the final 1/3 of the restitution payment.
I'd call the claims hotline but that would wind up being an effort in futility. lol
I'm sure we have (at the earliest) all of 2019. If anyone does come across a date, let us know.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've always hated the wording of the document.

I read the following in that, if you're under under 40K you don't get new parts. Cause soon as i read IF and exceeds 40K, i'm already skipping over everything it lists looking for if under 40K.

If your car exceeds 40,000 miles (for automatic
transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) we will install
updated emissions control system hardware - specifically a new Diesel
Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic
Reduction Converter - that is needed to maintain emissions
performance for the full useful life (150,000 miles) of your vehicle.

Apparently its regardless of mileage, you get new parts with Phase2 but if your under 40K expect to have equipment replaced twice on our dime.

If that's true it should read like this, way easier to read.

Regardless of mileage we will install
updated emissions control system hardware - specifically a new Diesel
Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic
Reduction Converter -If your car exceeds 40,000 miles (for automatic
transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) this will maintain emissions
performance for the full useful life (150,000 miles) of your vehicle.
As
part of the Phase 2 modification, we will also install a second NOx
sensor and corresponding software to improve the performance of the
OBD system. The Phase 2 updates are expected to have no further
impact on overall vehicle reliability, durability, fuel economy, engine
sound, performance, or drivability.
You will receive a notice when Phase 2 of the emissions modification is
available for your vehicle. You should expect to receive this notice
before June 30, 2019. If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than
40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for
manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will
need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time,
before it reaches 150,000 miles. We will notify you when it is time to
bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement.

I wonder if those that have been contacted have been originally 2015 sold cars with documents to VW stating they are over 40K, and no NOS (left overs) have been contacted as the chances of them being over 40K is slim to nill.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I wonder if those that have been contacted have been originally 2015 sold cars with documents to VW stating they are over 40K, and no NOS (left overs) have been contacted as the chances of them being over 40K is slim to nill.
Interesting hypothesis and could explain why I haven't heard a peep yet from VW on my NOS 2015.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Mine is an old sale 2015 and I was contacted a few days ago, but I also have information in the portal and I think that's where the email originated so who knows.

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
My Jetta had 6,000 miles on it when it had phase 1. But yeah, I agree with your sentiments. The wording is not clear. I take it as this... the car is working perfectly fine right now. They do whatever it is that they are going to do, parts or no parts, and I get a $2,400 check. Sometime over the next 8 years or 120,000 miles, if I have any trouble with the emissions bits, I get new parts again. This relieves all the anxiety I have about expensive repairs and allows me to just enjoy the car for a very long time.

If I had to do it all over again, I don't know that I'd buy the TDI in hindsight... but at the end of the day, VW made me whole again and I'm a very happy owner/driver.

On another note, they didn't have the "nut or clip" in the kit as described in the J6 service above... so they had to overnight it from BFE. I hope I can pick up my car today and take some photos of the modifications.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Here's the deal.

If you decided to keep the car and get the fix and restitution, you will get the complete fix regardless of mileage.

If you bought a "buyback car", and are under the mileage threshold (40k miles for DSG or 70K miles for Manual), then you will get the second NOx sensor update. Once you pass the mileage threshold, you will be able to get the DPF, Catalyst, and SOC update.

If you bought a "buyback car" and are over the aforementioned mileage threshold, you will get the full update.
Remember, on a customer owned vehicle (not a buyback vehicle) they get the full kit regardless of mileage.
So we just discovered a little bit of a twist...

Apparently "Remarketed" cars (that is, brand new 2015's that were sold brand new once the stop sale was lifted) do not get the 2B kit. They only get the 2A kit.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well that maybe due to mileage more than "remarketed" cars under 40K get 2A, cars over 40K get 2B. My guess is VW will drag their feet reaching out to customers to offer 2A, as that's just more money out the window for VW for shop time.

Which was the original way I read the documentation, instead people claiming everyone gets all new parts regardless of mileage. Also think about it, why would VW replace good parts with a serviceable life left if they still meet the emissions (software fix brought it to an agreed limit), VW is only tossing parts to make it to the serviceable life of the car, 150K miles.

more data points are needed.

Last edited:

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
:) There's a lot VW is being forced to do that they'd rather not.

Not sure if it makes a difference in this thread to say it, but my car is a manual transmission. Which, if you go by the publications, 70k is the magic number for manuals, whereas 40k is the magic number for DSGs.

Edit: My Jetta is still at the dealer and has been since Thursday. The "kit" VW sent was lacking parts, and the instructions differed from reality with the car. The dealer said this was one of the first manual Jettas they've done in the country and their quality guy was trying to figure out a course of action. Hopefully I have my car back today.

Last edited:

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
:) ....
Edit: My Jetta is still at the dealer and has been since Thursday. The "kit" VW sent was lacking parts, and the instructions differed from reality with the car. The dealer said this was one of the first manual Jettas they've done in the country and their quality guy was trying to figure out a course of action. ...
One of several reasons why I'm waiting to have this done. I want the service folks to have a few under their belt so to speak. Also, I'll try to schedule it when a 10,000 mile oil change is due as phase two comes with a free oil change. Now if I can just figure ot a way to convince them to use 507.00 oil. :confused:
Anyhow, please report back with an update of how the phase 2 fix went. Thanks in advance.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I am at 46,000 miles. I’m the second owner of this car After the original owner sold it back.

I’m going to wait a little and let a few more people get it done before I do. I might even wait till June when I go to a four day week over the summer so that way it’ll be less of an inconvenience

Is this going to affect mpg more? My trip meter is always about 4 miles per gallon off.

If I read it right since I have more than 40,000 miles, then I’m getting new hardware? And if I had less than 40,000 miles I wouldn’t?

unique_name

TDI
2012 jetta 6sp (sold back with 151k miles) 2015 jetta sel 6sp (purchased with 15k miles)
Well, my 15 is at the dealer today. They said it'd take 10hrs labor. Here goes nothing. I'll report on my experience and findings.

i see coolant on the list. any idea how much they will replace? looking to see if it will save me a coolant change, im at 3 years. also someone mentioned the phase2 comes with a free oil change. i don't remember seeing that in the docs.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp-content/uploads/documents/PSC/Approved%20Exhibit%203%20-%20Long%20Form%20Notice.pdf
Exhibit 3 Long Form Notice
Case 3:15-md-02672-CRB Document 1685-3 Filed 07/26/16 Page 21 of 29
*Note: The parties anticipate that the generation 3 vehicles will require a two-dealer-visit modification process. Two-thirds (2/3) of the cash payment will be paid upon the first visit to the dealer, and one-third (1/3) of the cash payment will be paid upon the second visit to the dealer. A free oil change with respective engine oil filter will also be provided on the second visit to the dealer.

unique_name

TDI
2012 jetta 6sp (sold back with 151k miles) 2015 jetta sel 6sp (purchased with 15k miles)
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp-content/uploads/documents/PSC/Approved%20Exhibit%203%20-%20Long%20Form%20Notice.pdf
Exhibit 3 Long Form Notice
Case 3:15-md-02672-CRB Document 1685-3 Filed 07/26/16 Page 21 of 29
*Note: The parties anticipate that the generation 3 vehicles will require a two-dealer-visit modification process. Two-thirds (2/3) of the cash payment will be paid upon the first visit to the dealer, and one-third (1/3) of the cash payment will be paid upon the second visit to the dealer. A free oil change with respective engine oil filter will also be provided on the second visit to the dealer.
thanks, my eyes must have gotten glassed over by the time i got to that part

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Nooooooooo damn it... I don't want them to drain my damn Liqui Moly with 800 miles on it. I swear to god, if they put garbage oil in there I'm going to go berserk. I will ask to see the barrel the oil came from when I pick the car up today.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
My understanding is that the Phase 2 fix will take about 9 hours to do and as was mentioned earlier the dealer will give you a loaner car. From what I know there is going to be some extensive hardware replacements to be done having to do with the exhaust system.

So far I have not heard when my car will be done, but I assume that they will need to have the hardware ready and in stock to do each car so it won't be slam bang thank you mam.

the beave

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
My understanding is that the Phase 2 fix will take about 9 hours to do and as was mentioned earlier the dealer will give you a loaner car. From what I know there is going to be some extensive hardware replacements to be done having to do with the exhaust system.

So far I have not heard when my car will be done, but I assume that they will need to have the hardware ready and in stock to do each car so it won't be slam bang thank you mam.
Dropped mine off on Saturday, they started work at 6:35 am on Monday and just got word an hour ago that it was done.
So, about 10 hours is just about right.
Auburn Volkswagon, Auburn, Washington.
the beave
will let everybody know how it goes after I pick it up after work.
Long Live the TDI's!

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Just got the car back. Educated guess:

Kit 2A is the new pipe, NOx sensor, the corresponding wire harness and software flash.

Kit 2B is a new DPF/DOC. Coolant, because there are a bunch of lines near the DPF, the least of which is the dosing injector which is in the coolant circuit.

Service tech said original owner cars get a new DPF/DOC regardless of miles. Remarketed cars only get the new sensor, for now. He said the part number on the DPF is different, but wasn't sure what was different about it. Looks identical from the top of the engine bay. "VW AG Made in Switzerland", just like the old one.

Lastly, they didn't change the oil. The service writer said that was only for Touaregs.

Last edited:

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL

Kit 2A is the new pipe, NOx sensor, the corresponding wire harness and software flash.

Kit 2B is a new DPF/DOC. Coolant, because there are a bunch of lines near the DPF, the least of which is the dosing injector which is in the coolant circuit.

Service tech said original owner cars get a new DPF/DOC regardless of miles. Remarketed cars only get the new sensor, for now. He said the part number on the DPF is different, but wasn't sure what was different about it. Looks identical from the top of the engine bay. "VW AG Made in Switzerland", just like the old one.

Lastly, they didn't change the oil. The service writer said that was only for Touaregs.

Thanks for the update. Does the car drive the same with the new hardware as before you took it in?

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Thanks for the update. Does the car drive the same with the new hardware as before you took it in?
I notice no difference at all. Power and sound seem about the same. In 10 miles, MFD went from 13.9mpg to 51.x mpg, which is about what I would expect with that stretch of highway. I'll know more in a few weeks on the mpg side.

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual

If you got Kit 2B put on your car, do you have any pics of that?

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
I doubled checked that and call the claims hotline. They told me that Gen 3 cars listed in the table below were indeed entitled to a free oil change on the phase 2 visit.
I was told to print out pages 19 and 20 of the Case 3:15-md-02672-CRB Document 1685-3 Filed 07/26/16 (Exhibit 3 Long Form Notice) and bring it to the dealer if any issues were encountered. Funny that this exhibit does not even mention Touaregs. lol