Key Fob Battery Life?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I replaced the battery in my key fob in early January when I got a warning on the MFD. Just got the warning again yesterday. Is this normal? MKIV and B5.5 batteries last a couple of years.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
I replaced the battery in my key fob in early January when I got a warning on the MFD. Just got the warning again yesterday. Is this normal? MKIV and B5.5 batteries last a couple of years.
FYI I don't think the MFD warning is correct. I had it for 2 months and it hasn't died. I also checked my battery's voltage and it was still at 3V. Maybe something is wrong with how the car reads the battery.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
my warning has been on since buying the car... fob works, but not from distance like my 10 Golf. need to see if a new battery will remedy.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I've noted when my battery gets cold [out skiing or cycling in winter] it doesn't have the same potential difference, so I have to hold it close to the door to unlock and also get a warning. After it warms up it's ok. Maybe the one you installed was initially weak.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
I also checked my battery's voltage and it was still at 3V. Maybe something is wrong with how the car reads the battery.
VCDS error says current draw is too low. Surprised It's not voltage but measuring mA. Does anyone know how to adjust the threshold in VCDS?

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
Which batteries are you buying? I tried dollar store batteries and they did not clear the error code for low batteries. Only quality Engerizer or such seems to satisfy the warning (the cheap batteries were at 3.25V but still caused an error).
It looks like a couple years for the batteries in the mk7, mk4 lasted over ten years.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Depending on use and battery quality...
My wife's still has the OEM batteries I. Her remote from 2015... Mine went out a couple of months ago, and I am the primary user of the VW.

Button cell batteries vary greatly in price and quality, but they are so simple to change in the remote, I would not worry if they were name brand or off brand....took like 30 seconds to swap out.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Which batteries are you buying? I tried dollar store batteries and they did not clear the error code for low batteries. Only quality Engerizer or such seems to satisfy the warning (the cheap batteries were at 3.25V but still caused an error).
It looks like a couple years for the batteries in the mk7, mk4 lasted over ten years.
They are Energizer batteries.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Cr2032

I replaced the battery with a CR2032 (220mAmpHours) in both of my fobs when I got the 1st warning, and have had no issues for nearly a year. Yes, they both pooped out within a few months, probably due to having sat around for more than a year and a half before getting old!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5354399&postcount=20

The thicker battery doesn't stay put while you close it, but it can be done with some finesse. I do not know if the range equals the MKVI fobs (my 2014 had powerful remotes!), but the extra capacity on the thicker 3032 will certainly extend the life. I will test them at the same distance to parking lot through glass at work.

Last edited:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Every MK7 forum shows a very short life span for the batteries. 7-16 months typical. Looks like the error shows in the MFD long before the key stops working but thats annoying too. Maybe a scheduled replacement is best to prevent issues. The batteries come in two packs so maybe twice a year and forget about it.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Your battery can measure 3v or higher and still sag under load.

My mk7 (2016 eGolf and 2015 GSW) batteries don't last very long compared to my mk4 (bug). I've changed my mk7 batteries a few times already and I've only changed my mk4 batteries probably 2 or 3 times in over a decade.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I've herd you can shove a 2032 battery in there its a smidge thicker and it has a bit more capacity. I did go about 8 months with low battery warning, never once was stranded and just said it was worth the $6 for both keys.

I'll try 2032 it again next time.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I've herd you can shove a 2032 battery in there its a smidge thicker and it has a bit more capacity. I did go about 8 months with low battery warning, never once was stranded and just said it was worth the $6 for both keys.

I'll try 2032 it again next time.
Yes. It works and you upgrade from 165 to 220 milli Amp hours so it lasts longer.

The slightly thicker battery doesn't fit under the tiny retainer ridge/tab to hold it in while you close it. But push/hold it in with a small screwdriver as you close it, then use both hands to snap the fob closed. Or just put a new 2025 battery in there more often. That works too:)

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
I had my battery changed at the last oil change, one year ago for my 2015 GSW. It then died in a few months. I changed it. Then I changed it again a couple of months after that when it died again. Now I carry the batteries around with me. It seems those batteries I can find only last a couple of weeks.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
now when you say "died" did it just give you low battery warning or did it state "key not in ranges" people (myself included) have gone 3-6 months with low key battery warning before changing battery out never once did it state "key not in range"

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I have gotten both "Key Not In Range" and low battery warnings. The out of range warnings are random and don't appear to be related the low battery issue.

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
now when you say "died" did it just give you low battery warning or did it state "key not in ranges" people (myself included) have gone 3-6 months with low key battery warning before changing battery out never once did it state "key not in range"
The readout always states "key not in range". I have to go roust out my spare key fob to unlock the doors, and then change the battery...again.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
try a 2032 battery in it next, i picked up some lithium ones for next time the batteries dies.

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
This is sort of related... What happens if the battery runs out after the car is started? Does it work until it gets shut off? I assume this is similar to what would happen if you leave the car running and someone drives off with it?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Car will run without a key, and drive as normal, won’t restart unless you hold the key next to the steering column.

hillmatic

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Simple Question:

Can a 2015 GSW key be cut to open the door lock? I need a simple key that can get wet

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Simple Question:

Can a 2015 GSW key be cut to open the door lock? I need a simple key that can get wet
Check with Andrew HERE. They might be able to cut you a "Valet" key. You will probably have to have a dealer match it to the immobilizer, however.

ottomatik

TDI
2015 GSW
I just replaced the batteries in my 2006 Duramax for the first time. They lasted 12 years and 208,000 mi.
Replaced my batteries in GSW 1 month ago @ 21,000 mi.

I still can't figure it out.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Any key blank can be cut to just open the door. I have one just for this purpose. Pop the cover off the door latch and insert key and open. You may need the rest of the fob for alarm issues and starting and such though. The key itself will open the door though. The key part can be had separate from the remote (fob) part.

AH9

TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagon
This is sort of related... What happens if the battery runs out after the car is started? Does it work until it gets shut off? I assume this is similar to what would happen if you leave the car running and someone drives off with it?

Here's what happened in my experience this week. To note, we've only had our car for 3 months and have had to swap the batteries once already.

Tuesday we got the change your battery notification, meant to do it Wednesday but didn't get a chance. The same day during a longer drive the battery must have fully died since the "Key not in Range" notification kept coming up repeatedly while driving. Couldn't deal with that though since we weren't close to anything. Stopped at our destination. Got back in to leave later and using the emergency starting procedure, the car started perfectly...only problem was, it wouldn't move!

The dash then showed a "Transmission Error" and we ended up having to get the car towed. :( Next morning brought our other fob to the dealer and the car started and got moving without issues. We asked the dealer if this is a know issue since we couldn't find anything on this. Thinking it's key related then we asked them if there were any issues with the dead fob. They checked the serial number and suggested it was part of a series of fobs that were known to be faulty. Our second fob is apparently fine. They've ordered us a new one but I will be keeping a spare battery in the car from now on "just in case"!