Removing the Turbo - Polo 2DR 2006 1.9TDI

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDI Polo 2006 (2005 built)
Replacing the Turbo - Polo 5DR 2005/6 AXR 1.9TDI

It's a great car, had an issue similar to this in the past and cost a dandy 3k plus... so thought I'd get into it myself this time, so far so good.
Day 1)
Symptoms:
Son driving to work and began belching copious amounts of white smoke from exhaust. Loss of power, he pulled over and called a tow truck and brought it home.
Hypothesis: Seals gone in turbo??
Observations:
* Engine fires up, you can smell the oil burning even at cold idle.
* Unclipped intercooler and 300ml of oil gushed out over my arm
Getting dirty:
Grabbed an oil tray and drained another 300ml and mopped up
Looked up the forum, realised the best approach was from underneath and disconnected the Inner CV (Evil 12 point bolts, not my first VW CV rodeo and only had to use vice grips once to extract one stripped bolt. I'll replace them with hex and get myself a 12 point too)
Wife's birthday out for dinner...
Day 2)
* Disconnected Exhaust flange from Turbo
* Began disconnecting Exhaust manifold
* Disconnected hoses and ducts
* Disconnected heat shield
* Disconnected Oil Supply Support clamp
* Disconnected Intake Manifold
* Removed cooland supply to EGR?? return
* Removed Intake Manifold.
* Dismantled Intake manifold & peripherals
* Soaking Intake manifold
* Cleaned Throttle body, EGR valve and manfold
* Scrub human of excess carbon deposits... What a messy job!
* Clean up nuts and bolts and organise.
Pics can be found here...
http://framepoet.org/mk5-polo-1-9-tdi-turbo-removal-and-repair/
NOTE: Two of the HEX bolts on the EGR cooler/manifold were "super tight"
Glad I did this on the bench, had to resort to vice grips and I do have good hex tools.
Turbo Type: BV39A-0019
Engine Type: AXR 1.9 TDI PS100 74kw

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Ahh, the view from “down under “. Pun intended. Been right there about 6 months ago. It sounds like you have the whole thing under control. Just a couple of observations/reminders.

It’s probably a good idea to pull the glow plugs when you get it all back together and just before you restart it, to blow any oil that may have drained down out of the intake into the cylinders. Especially the #2 & 3 cylinders.

Don’t forget to tighten all the egr bolts back up. Those little metal gaskets make quite a noise if you forget to tighten them down. Good luck.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahh, the view from “down under “. Pun intended. Been right there about 6 months ago. It sounds like you have the whole thing under control. Just a couple of observations/reminders.

It’s probably a good idea to pull the glow plugs when you get it all back together and just before you restart it, to blow any oil that may have drained down out of the intake into the cylinders. Especially the #2 & 3 cylinders.

Don’t forget to tighten all the egr bolts back up. Those little metal gaskets make quite a noise if you forget to tighten them down. Good luck.

Hehe.. down under. on top, covered in black and hands are cut from the manifold edges...

Thanks for the tips, yes, there were a few flanges with metal gaskets that were tight and thanks for the glow plug tip.. those pistons must be caked in crap.. this diesel business was good on the pocket until I started spending all the savings on hand cleaner and brake cleaner... resorting to petrol now... hehe. I couldn;t get the oil feed off as easily as I liked, so leaving that for tomorrow and a fresh start.

They say "Alcohol's for drinking, petrol for cleaning and nitro for racing..."

Makes me wonder where diesel fits in?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
By saying pull the glow plugs I neglected to mention to pull them and crank the engine a couple of times. Have plenty of rags handy. I cranked mine without any rags in place and shot a spray of oil and diesel about 15 feet onto the hood of my wife’s vehicle. Oops.

The oil feed lines tend to be problematic and you should probably have a replacement as a backup. When the lines do come off they are often kinked and useless at that point.

I just reread your pot and realized I’d passed right over this part.

Welcome to working on a diesel!

Last edited:

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
By saying pull the glow plugs I neglected to mention to pull them and crank the engine a couple of times. Have plenty of rags handy. I cranked mine without any rags in place and shot a spray of oil and diesel about 15 feet onto the hood of my wife’s vehicle. Oops.
The oil feed lines tend to be problematic and you should probably have a replacement as a backup. When the lines do come off they are often kinked and useless at that point.
I just reread your pot and realized I’d passed right over this part.
Welcome to working on a diesel!
Now I reaslise why there's a distinction between mechanics and diesel mechanics. On par with doing CVs and I thought that was messy. Haven't even looked into where the glow plugs are, front / rear? Im a diesel virgin.
I've left the oil lines because I wanted a clear view of the top feed, it was a tight connection so left it until after the removal of the intake manifold and Im pleased that I did, it was quite easy to remove the bolts from under the car.
Im not in a super hurry to get it back together so I'll plan to replace those. I also want to give it a good think on the best way to put it all back too. Easy to remove those long intake bolts, it's gonna be another thing locating them all.
Support is much appreciated, will post a few more pics tomorrow.
[NOTE: For anyone reading this post at a later date..
Many debates regarding removing the turbo from under or above intake only or both. My experience so far, it was easier to remove the intake bolts from below, give everything a clean, might as well if you're doing it for yourself. I've tried to clean the EGR system in the past and it's almost impossible to get off, so this is a good opportunity to give the whole system a once over.]
http://framepoet.org/mk5-polo-1-9-tdi-turbo-removal-and-repair/

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I see in your first pic a marked hand written number of some kind on the turbo elbow. Here in the states that's what salvage lots do when you buy a part from them. Meaning, if the same holds true in Australia the PO may have had turbo problems in the past, and already replaced it once with a used unit.

When posting pics if you look down at the url address and click on it you will have 3 choices small, medium and large. The small is just a thumbnail, the medium fits very nicely in the average computer page and the large while very detailed doesn't fit well and requires scrolling to see it all. Medium is great for all round viewing.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
I was looking for the picture image size... will fix. and yes the last time this happened to the Polo they installed a reconditioned one. What suggestions do you have for dealing with this turbo?

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Jarhead, I looked high and low for a forum option to resize the pics, even went to Vbulletin to look it up and found that it was not an option other than restricting at the server... Easy enough, resize them on my host :)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I didn’t see that you were using an outside picture host. Whatever you did the pics fit perfect now.

That nut is known to be problematic, some cut and weld a specialty wrench to get it off. There are pics on this forum of some of those efforts. Or you can sacrifice the tube, and just cut it and remove the turbo and then get that nut with a socket after the turbo is off.

It’s usually a good idea to replace the oil feed tube anyway and many recommend just that.
When I did mine last year I managed to get the tube off in one piece with no damage but I replaced the tube with a braided steel flex line from cascadegerman.com. The flex line is much easier to install when you put everything back together.

I’m not sure how shipping works to the other side of the world though. It may not be worth it even if it’s possible.

http://www.cascadegerman.com/product/ubrturboinstall-alh/

As far as fixing/replacing the turbo. Here in the states most forum members replace theirs with either a good used or new one. Hit and miss success with has been had with rebuilds, which if yours was a rebuild that may be true in your area as well.

Last edited:

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Turbo is out.

I didn’t see that you were using an outside picture host. Whatever you did the pics fit perfect now.
That nut is known to be problematic, some cut and weld a specialty wrench to get it off. There are pics on this forum of some of those efforts. Or you can sacrifice the tube, and just cut it and remove the turbo and then get that nut with a socket after the turbo is off.
It’s usually a good idea to replace the oil feed tube anyway and many recommend just that.
When I did mine last year I managed to get the tube off in one piece with no damage but I replaced the tube with a braided steel flex line from cascadegerman.com. The flex line is much easier to install when you put everything back together.
I’m not sure how shipping works to the other side of the world though. It may not be worth it even if it’s possible.
http://www.cascadegerman.com/product/ubrturboinstall-alh/
As far as fixing/replacing the turbo. Here in the states most forum members replace theirs with either a good used or new one. Hit and miss success with has been had with rebuilds, which if yours was a rebuild that may be true in your area as well.
Feed line extraction : Cut, exactly what I did... Have a few Dremels (we race RC cars)

As for rebuild, I don't even expect that to be the case, straight 2nd spare I'd say.. "we live we learn"

Done... The flare was seized onto the insert so the whole thing came out. I'll get a braided flex line for it as the metal one is snaked behind other ones and more work to remove. A fair sacrifice.

As for the Turbo itself.. the cold side is a mess... seized and it's raining impeller pieces all over the desk. Will head out to a local turbo shop and see what they have to say, otherwise I'm considering using www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk in the UK to ship. Shipping from the states is painfully slow and very expensive, unless I use UPS, open to suggestions.

Thanks for the support.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is the impeller still on the exhaust side? My shaft broke and the exhaust side fell into the exhaust pipe. I had to fish it out with a magnet.

UPS works great here in the states. I have no experience with the speed or cost of shipping to Australia. Darkside has a good reputation, you'll have to make that call based on what you're comfortable with.

Last edited:

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Is the impeller still on the exhaust side? My shaft broke and the exhaust side fell into the exhaust pipe. I had to fish it out with a magnet.

UPS works great here in the states. I have no experience with the speed or cost of shipping to Australia. Darkside has a good reputation, you'll have to make that call based on what you're comfortable with.
I think the same has happened here too... no sign of shaft or hot side impelller at all.

From other peoples experience on rebuilds etc, their consensus is a whole new turbo. That much damage cant be good for a rebuild chards of metal, shaft gone... too much stress on what's supposed to be a precision spinner...

Again, thanks for support, it's forums like these that keeps one motivation pushing forward... Now to rebuild the intake and degrease the ducting.

PS: UPS are the best logistics company in the world.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI

Local supplier provided a very good deal on new BV39A - Happy days :)

A better look at nothing...

Cleaned and lubed

Finally got this apart with two ratchets and a good thwap.

Usual practice of replacing troublesome bolts with fresh stainless ones. Just in case I care to remove the EGR for a clean.

1500 wet and dry to clean flange faces.

Lost without them, good hex tools, tap and die to clean up threads and 1/4 sockets

Ran the die over the studs to make life easier later on, and a peek at the ports, I think they need a bit of a clean.

Now onto getting into the exhaust system and find the impeller and shaft!!

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I like your organization and the cleanup you’ve given everything. Looks like you’ve got everything under control.

Does the PD engine available in your cars over there also have trouble with premature cam wear? I had a belt event at around 280k and in the process of diagnosis discovered my cam was pretty much used up, with sharp edges on 6 of 8 lobes. I bought a used engine and just before putting it in found 2 lobes with a bit of wear so I replaced the cam before I put that engine in.

In case you’re interested.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=477509

The impeller that I fished out of the exhaust had ground off the end of my new oxygen sensor.

How about some pics of your car, red is a good color and the mk5 body style is nice too.

It looks like it’s warm enough to work partially outside?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know you probably are aware of this, but be sure you clean all the piping and the intercooler. Which it looks like you’re pretty much disassembling the whole thing anyway, and judging but the way you’ve got things laid out and cleaned up you probably already have done that.

When I put mine back together and got ready for the restart I pulled the glow plugs and disconnected the electrical plug on the side of the head that goes to the injectors, and gave it a few cranks. That blew any oil that leaked down from the intake into the cylinders out and primed the new oil line and turbo.

There have been a number of guys here on the forum that have put new turbos on without cleaning the intake and others who did not prime their turbos. Of course the results weren’t good.

Just a couple of observations I’m sure you are already aware of but bear remembering.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
I like your organization and the cleanup you’ve given everything. Looks like you’ve got everything under control.

Does the PD engine available in your cars over there also have trouble with premature cam wear? I had a belt event at around 280k and in the process of diagnosis discovered my cam was pretty much used up, with sharp edges on 6 of 8 lobes. I bought a used engine and just before putting it in found 2 lobes with a bit of wear so I replaced the cam before I put that engine in.

In case you’re interested.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=477509

The impeller that I fished out of the exhaust had ground off the end of my new oxygen sensor.

How about some pics of your car, red is a good color and the mk5 body style is nice too.

It looks like it’s warm enough to work partially outside?
Cam Wear: I haven't had the cover off so I dont really know... Would you like me to remove cover and take a pic? Wouldn't be much trouble at all.

I had the same concern about impeller in the exhaust, that's on tomorrow.

Queensland is quite the opposite, I look forward to cold days, if any to work on cars. It's a real ask to work on cars here in 30c + temps and super high humidity. Sweat in your eyes, dust and grime sticks to you and it's just plain nasty... We've had this discussion in the ClubGTI forums and while it's understandable to hate the cold, you can wear more clothes, wear gloves and work in the garage with a heater. Here, it gets so uncomfortably hot and more so humid, you're half naked and losing temper all the time. What I'd do to have a set of overalls and still keep cool. :)

Personally an air conditioned garage with good lighting, hoist and bar/coffee machine is a dream I wish would be true.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
VWs

The pair of VWs... the Polo is my wife's

This is mine.. long story and why I have a few tools...

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That is one nice GTI. What year? It looks like you're a VW family even to the toys.

Fortunately I have a heated garage, sadly no lift but reasonably well lit. Usually its occupied by my van (Dodge) which just sits there taking up space. I don't mind working in the garage and when our weather is in the 30"s (0 C) that's exactly where I do any maintenance. However I much prefer outside, my driveway is concrete so it works well.

I don't need pics of the cam but pulling the valve cover is probably a good idea since you've got it all apart. Run your finger along the cam lobes if they are sharp instead of smooth you have a cam that's headed for the scrap heap.

Last edited:

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Impeller hunt..

That is one nice GTI. What year? It looks like you're a VW family even to the toys.

Fortunately I have a heated garage, sadly no lift but reasonably well lit. Usually its occupied by my van (Dodge) which just sits there taking up space. I don't mind working in the garage and when our weather is in the 30"s (0 C) that's exactly where I do any maintenance. However I much prefer outside, my driveway is concrete so it works well.

I don't need pics of the cam but pulling the valve cover is probably a good idea since you've got it all apart. Run your finger along the cam lobes if they are sharp instead of smooth you have a cam that's headed for the scrap heap.
It's a 1992 MK2, long story, my son's dream car turned nightmare and dad picks up all the pieces...

Cams: I may as well remove the cover and take a look, you've got me interested now. VWs are great if you keep ahead of maintenance.

Can I ask what oil you're using?? I know that when car was under warranty I had to use a specific Castrol oil, then VW switched to it's own brand. I've known vintage whiskey that cost less. I've been draining the oil but there seems to be some left in what I assume is the pump to filter. Any ideas on the best way to flush the system? I also assume it might be a good idea to prime the new turbo with oil... will look up and see what I can find.

Will tackle the exhaust today to find the missing impeller, clean up air filter box and give the engine bay a good look over while there's room to see what's what. Also remove the oil feed line and check it's clear, might head out to a hydraulic shop and have a new flare made, while there see if they have a better solution (ie perhaps a braided line).

You mentioned O2 sensor, I haven't seen it, so will be on the look out for it now. Have VAGCom cable so will also hook it up and see what ECU has to say before finishing up.

I'm glad I don't need the car on Monday to go to work, this would have been a nightmare job if that were the case. Thanks to TDICLUB, it's been a lot easier.

A couple of Q's

The glow plugs?
Is that the rail on the front of the engine?
How to remove?
Will it prevent combustion?

Thanks again :)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A couple of Q's

The glow plugs?
Is that the rail on the front of the engine?
How to remove?
Will it prevent combustion?

Thanks again :)
Are you trying to prevent ignition while cranking? Just unplug the wire harness plug on the right front corner of your engine just under the fuel rail. It’s a plastic plug you give it a half turn and pull. It will disconnect the injectors so that the car will not start no matter how much you crank it.

Really easy to do takes less than a minute.

Is your engine a BEW , BRM or some other PD model?

Pentosin 5-40 and yes it’s about $40 for 5 liters vs $25 for most other similar brands.

I hate to be under the gun time wise, things seem to go much better when I don’t have a deadline.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the tips... good idea pulling the injectors.

A few pics for you... mine feel lovely.

Belt looks happy, lobes looks happy and everything inside looks relatively clean.. no metal to speak of.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The lobes do look good a nice chamfer along the edges is what you’re looking for. Nice and smooth to the touch. When they wear the edges of the lobes get sharp and you can feel it quite easily.

Don’t pull the injectors you don’t want to mess with that if you don’t have to. Just disconnect the plug where the wires go through the head into the valve cover area. Right beside the tandem pump.

Last edited:

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
The lobes do look good a nice camphor along the edges is what you’re looking for. Nice and smooth to the touch. When they wear the edges of the lobes get sharp and you can feel it quite easily.

Don’t pull the injectors you don’t want to mess with that if you don’t have to. Just disconnect the plug where the wires go through the head into the valve cover area. Right beside the tandem pump.
Wont be pulling the injectors, just the connector ... the lobes feel great, ran a fingernail across them too. Very impressed with how they've held up. We do regular oil changes and did several when we first got it. Obviously pays off in the long run.

Cover is back on, belt looked really healthy too and they've even flocked the inside of the belt cover.. most impressed. Engine code is AXR

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Flocking on the inside of the belt cover is accumulated belt debris from over the years. Mine has it too. I think most do.

I agree the belt looks good and healthy, any idea when it was changed last and how many miles? From what I can see of the tensioner it looks like it was tensioned in the proper direction, that’s always a good sign.

I don’t believe we have AXR engines here in the states, maybe in the Passat.
BEW , BRM, and one other PD I forget the letters. Looking at your pictures though is just like looking at the BEW in my Golf.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My 05 Golf, filthy as you can see. The price of living where it’s cold and salt is used to keep the roads clear 5 months out of the year. These were taken this morning a few minutes ago. It’s in the upper 20’s (F) about -2 or so (C)
That is not a coating of sand, from a dust storm. In the background you can glimpse a lake , frozen from shore to shore.

You can see my frost heater plug sticking out of the front lower grill. My plans for this afternoon include mounting a plug adapter in the bumper to clean that up. Not anywhere near as serious a problem as you’re dealing with.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Flocking on the inside of the belt cover is accumulated belt debris from over the years. Mine has it too. I think most do.

I agree the belt looks good and healthy, any idea when it was changed last and how many miles? From what I can see of the tensioner it looks like it was tensioned in the proper direction, that’s always a good sign.

I don’t believe we have AXR engines here in the states, maybe in the Passat.
BEW , BRM, and one other PD I forget the letters. Looking at your pictures though is just like looking at the BEW in my Golf.
We never had the 1.9TDI Golf in Australia, I'm certain they were all 2.0 TDI. We are well past the 100,000km mark and the engine still feels rock solid. It pulls like a tank and if it weren't such a good car, I wouldn't have gone to this effort on it. Best economy was 900km per tank (45litre) on the way down to Sydney... I couldn't believe my eyes.

I don't think it's belt debris felt a lot like flocking but will check and post a pic. (It's definitely flocked!)

Not sure when the belt was changed, but it looks in good condition, no signs of stretching or tooth wear.

We've got no heater, assuming that it would be a dash out situation. NOw having a good look at piping, with access I found this...

Lets hope it's the same for my polo, I think it is. Super happy if I can get to the heater matrix compared to the task of doing it on my MK2.... will get pics to confirm it later today. It's not so cold here as to need a heater but for the short few months of winter the high humidity really fogs up the car and it's not safe.

Last edited:

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
My 05 Golf, filthy as you can see. The price of living where it’s cold and salt is used to keep the roads clear 5 months out of the year. These were taken this morning a few minutes ago. It’s in the upper 20’s (F) about -2 or so (C)
That is not a coating of sand, from a dust storm. In the background you can glimpse a lake , frozen from shore to shore.

You can see my frost heater plug sticking out of the front lower grill. My plans for this afternoon include mounting a plug adapter in the bumper to clean that up. Not anywhere near as serious a problem as you’re dealing with.
We're at the other spectrum of environment... things don't freeze, they melt. The handles on your plier will get so soft they slip off. You spend your working life putting a cardboard box over your tools to prevent them hitting 60c.

Humidity is high, there's no cold to freeze it to the ground, a cold drink ends up in a puddle of condensation in minutes, everyone uses drink "stubby holders".

Electronics start to fail with the humid weather, there's very rarely frost, let alone ice or snow. There are times when mushrooms can grow on the walls of you home, high chance of mold spores and most people have two fridges. Potatoes, vegetables, pretty much everything has to live in the fridge. Except vegemite... lol

Yup the cold is harsh, grew up in Sydney where we get 4 seasons. It's just as expensive in the sub-tropics, if not more, because it takes more energy to cool that it does to heat. Trust me, there's nothing worst that trying to have a nap on the sofa and a bead of sweat trickles down your face and wakes you up. It's cooled a lot, low 20s (deg c) and I feel like a bear only wanting to sleep... it's the things we dont have we seek.

The worst thing about our climate is that humid air screws with your perspiration systems, and you just sweat, not because it's very hot, but because there's no evaporative effect and your body keeps sweating in an attempts to cool it down. Hot days, the cold tap here is 25c... need I say more.

When they say he's gone "troppo" they are referring to a mental illness caused by tropical weather.

BUT.. all that said.. NO SALT on our roads!! BIG BONUS!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Vw has an issue with their blend doors. For some reason they made them out of aluminum with lots of holes in them. Then the doors were covered with a foam that deteriorates after a few years and blows out the heat ducts. The heater core still works fine it’s just that the doors don’t direct the warm air into the cabin.

Is that what you’re dealing with? During the summer the ac is rather weak for the same reasons. I have this issue on my daughters 01 Beetle. I just taped up the blend doors with hvac tape.