EU importing

scyzoryk

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Ok, this one is for us Canadians only. PM signed EU trade agreement which should just like NAFTA, allow to import and register a vehicle from EU countries. Almost new 2018 tdi Passat would be really nice to have in a country where people spend a lot of their time in a vehicle.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
RIV list still applies. 15 years or older is admissible.

http://www.riv.ca/

Yup, the RIV list is what really matters. Once that changed, if ever, then it would open up the EU market for us to bring in cars in one piece. The EU free trade just saves us money when it comes to paying taxes during import.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
the base passat in germany starts at 26,800 euros... that's 41,000 cad right off the bat just converting currencies. Tax, import fees, etc, etc plus no warranty and so forth, it's nice to dream sometimes but it's highly unrealistic even if you could import one

scyzoryk

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
This EPA thing is such a scum itself. The most efficient/reliable engine in our maket got shut down. And for what, hybird, electric snake oil. Don't​ understand why people are so eager to dump this for cars that get half the milage. I drove a 14 Passat for a while and this thing could easy do 1400 km on tank if used on mostly on highway. What does one get on a 80k Tesla? 350k on a nice day, no thanks.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed

I stand corrected. So it has to be older than 15 years from the date of manufacture then to bring a passenger car or light truck in from EU. Hey, at least we don't have to pay duty on it. :) Most of Europe has yearly safety inspections so maybe their cars are in better shape when they reach 15 years old. My biggest concern is odometer fraud. In Europe, especially the former easter block countries, everyone rolls back the miles.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Fifteen year rule remains, only the 6.1% import duty is no longer.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I stand corrected. So it has to be older than 15 years from the date of manufacture then to bring a passenger car or light truck in from EU. Hey, at least we don't have to pay duty on it. :) Most of Europe has yearly safety inspections so maybe their cars are in better shape when they reach 15 years old. My biggest concern is odometer fraud. In Europe, especially the former easter block countries, everyone rolls back the miles.
Seems the older they get, the further east they go!

Our LT31 didn't need anything for safety. It had current TUV inspection.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
the base passat in germany starts at 26,800 euros... that's 41,000 cad right off the bat just converting currencies. Tax, import fees, etc, etc plus no warranty and so forth, it's nice to dream sometimes but it's highly unrealistic even if you could import one
If you could import one, you wouldn't pay the VAT, which is included in German prices -> divide your price by 1.19 -> 34,454 CAD

If you bought one, you'd probably get it at 25% below MSRP -> divide that sum by 1.25 -> 27,563 CAD.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
If you could import one, you wouldn't pay the VAT, which is included in German prices -> divide your price by 1.19 -> 34,454 CAD
If you bought one, you'd probably get it at 25% below MSRP -> divide that sum by 1.25 -> 27,563 CAD.
Aha, I did not consider this as I forgot Europe includes VAT in all their prices shown... regardless, still a pipe dream even if the car is affordable since all the other factors remain, one can still remain hopeful though :D

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
So how did it work that we saw a newer looking Audi A6 Avant in the GTA recently??
I saw that one too, black a6 with German plates? If so I read on another forum it's some company doing autonomous testing... Can't find the link anymore though

Last edited: