Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Has anyone done the buy back process recently? I am planning on turning mine back in but I'm waiting for my e-Golf to arrive and I want to time it so they happen at the same time. e-Golf will arrive any time from this spring to summer so I'm trying to get a feel for how long the buy back process is from start to finish, I know it was many months for some at the beginning, but I assume now it's much faster now?
You can file now, and get it all approved, and simply hold off with setting the actual date, unless it drags on until September-ish, then you'd better get on the case.

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
2013 over 150000km, foolishly bought new tires last year, timing belt probably due.

What are your opinions on what I should do? I was thinking on ordering the timing belt/water pump kit and do it myself, or does it make more sense to turn it in?
Don't worry about it. 220k kms with original turned in.

Derek_88

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6spd
Fix a 2012 or buy a fixed 2015?

I have a 2012 golf TDI manual with almost 200,000kms (needs timing belt!)

I’ve had trouble figuring out what to replace my TDI with… can’t find anything that combines the fuel economy and performance for the price. I have a two hour daily commute, so the fuel economy is important—but also, the TDI is so damn fun to drive. Then it dawned on me: why not look for the same car in a 2015 model? Looking at autotrader i can get one with around 50kms for about 22K. With the buyback money it would cost me around 6k for a newer version of the car i have now with many fewer kms.

Does this make sense?

I’m assuming the 2015 would have the fix done and the fuel economy and performance are not drastically different. Or, i could just go for the fix for my car, and use the sorry money to get my timing belt done?

Still in a bit of a quandary.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I have a 2012 golf TDI manual with almost 200,000kms (needs timing belt!)
I’ve had trouble figuring out what to replace my TDI with… can’t find anything that combines the fuel economy and performance for the price. I have a two hour daily commute, so the fuel economy is important—but also, the TDI is so damn fun to drive. Then it dawned on me: why not look for the same car in a 2015 model? Looking at autotrader i can get one with around 50kms for about 22K. With the buyback money it would cost me around 6k for a newer version of the car i have now with many fewer kms.
Does this make sense?
I’m assuming the 2015 would have the fix done and the fuel economy and performance are not drastically different. Or, i could just go for the fix for my car, and use the sorry money to get my timing belt done?
Still in a bit of a quandary.
Try a TSI manual. Mine easily averages 5.7-5.8 in the summer in mostly rural driving. At 100 km/h, you'll see below 5.7 L/100 km on the highway. More in winter of course but the TDI isn't exempt from that either. The smaller fuel tank does take a bite out of the range though.

Honestly with the price of gas vs. diesel around here, the operating costs of my TSI aren't all that much higher than my previous TDI. Plus it's much cheaper to purchase. You'll have to drive a LONG time to make up the TDI premium. For a used one, a 2015 TDI with the same mileage as my 2016 TSI retails on average for $19.2k. A TSI of the same vintage: about $16k. You'll have to drive an awful lot to make up the price difference on a TDI given the small difference in operating costs.

The torque isn't so bad either, 185 lb-ft starting at a low 1600 rpm. Better top end, and much quieter inside.

Mine has been a pleasant surprise. I thought that coming "down" from a TDI would make it a letdown but if anything I like it much better, plus unlike my TDI, it has been completely reliable in 56,000 km so far. I'm about to trade it in on a Sportwagen as an upcoming lifestyle change means I'll need a wagon soon.

Derek_88

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6spd
Thanks Mike. All good points. i have heard others pleasantly surprised at transitioning to a TSI. Looks like i’ll have to drive one! And yes, the premium paid for a TDI and how that counteracts differences in operating costs is something i keep forgetting about. If the driving experience is similar, a TSI may be the way to go.

Manu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Golf Wagon 6MT Highline TDI
Scheduled trade-in date: Feb 27th!!!!!!!! I've only moved the scheduled dates twice (Sept., then Dec.), third time should do it.

I'm going to miss this car...

Golf Wagon
by MANU01, on Flickr

Last edited:

habsfan

TDI
mkvii sportwagon
Fewer and Fewer Buy Back Dates Available

I have had my offer for a buy back/trade transaction since October 2017 and am just waiting on delivery of the 2018 GSW that I ordered (due to arrive late Feb or early Mar 2018). Unlike past months, where there was a rolling 4 month window of potential dates, the earliest date is now Feb 6 2018 and the latest available trade in/buy back date is March 29, 2018. Looked at some other Ontario dealerships and none of them are showing buy back or trade dates after March 29, 2018.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
now that my car is about the only model not with a fix, does anyone know of the changes of NOT getting a Fix???
Thanks
I'm not sure what you are asking.

Given that VW has given up attempting to get the 2012-2014 Passats with manual transmission fixed and that's what you own, it would seem that the "chances" (sic) of NOT getting a fix are 100% in your case.

If you want to get something out of VW, your only choice will be buyback. If you don't file for buyback by the deadline, forever hold your peace.

onslaught192

TDI
Jetta Highline
service

started my buyback paperwork but not planning to give back the car any time soon

if i need to get service done to the vehicle (be it oil, trans. flush or mech work), will the dealership do anything to the vehicle that could jeopardize my buyout?

scanner recently came up showing my #2 glow plug has an issue but it was during the cold snap of -30-40 degress

any issue if i were to bring it in or should i look to move on from it sooner than later?

thanks

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I don't understand your question.

Whether you return a vehicle in pristine condition with all maintenance done, or whether you return a beat-up neglected wreck as long as it is "complete" and "runs under its own power" - you will get the SAME amount in the buyback.

If they do the "fix" without your knowledge and without any paperwork it's not your problem, but don't sign anything allowing them to do it, and say "no" if they ask.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
For buyback - It only has to start and run under its own power, no matter how badly or how many warning lights are on, and it has to be a complete car. It came with fenders, it has to have fenders, doesn't matter how many dents. It came with a radio, it has to have a radio, doesn't matter if it's original or aftermarket or if it works at all. And so forth.

It is starting to look like all of the buybacks except the 2015s are "disappearing" anyhow.

1975 Kombi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2011 Touareg TDI, 1992 D Jetta, 1992 TD Jetta, 2001 NB TDI, 1992 Golf coupe D
I tried to find the answer in this thread but it is long. lol. Quick question.

If I buy a 2011 - 2013 Touareg TDI today will I be entitled to any kind of cash????

1975 Kombi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2011 Touareg TDI, 1992 D Jetta, 1992 TD Jetta, 2001 NB TDI, 1992 Golf coupe D
I don't understand your question.

Whether you return a vehicle in pristine condition with all maintenance done, or whether you return a beat-up neglected wreck as long as it is "complete" and "runs under its own power" - you will get the SAME amount in the buyback.

If they do the "fix" without your knowledge and without any paperwork it's not your problem, but don't sign anything allowing them to do it, and say "no" if they ask.
I saw pics from a returned Jetta TDI in Georgetown, ON where the owner kicked in every panel on the Jetta 2 mins before driving it in and they took it with no questions. Roof, hood, truck lid and left his foot prints on every stomp.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I returned ours with a broken front coil spring, way overdue for maintenance, and on winter steelies with end-of-life snow tires. No issues whatsoever. I handed over the keys. The RP representative started it up, drove it a few metres, shut it off, and signed over our cheque. We then crossed the cubicle partition to the sales rep, handed over the cheque plus some more $, and got our new car. The whole time with the RP agent was under 10 minutes.

Booth44

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Given that VW has given up attempting to get the 2012-2014 Passats with manual transmission fixed and that's what you own, it would seem that the "chances" (sic) of NOT getting a fix are 100% in your case.
If you want to get something out of VW, your only choice will be buyback. If you don't file for buyback by the deadline, forever hold your peace.
Any insight as to what will happen with these cars with respect to plate renewals in Ontario? I still have another year until I need to renew my sticker...hoping to avoid a buyback if possible. Don't want VW's $$$, just hoping to keep this car (2013 Passat manual transmission).

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I tried to find the answer in this thread but it is long. lol. Quick question.

If I buy a 2011 - 2013 Touareg TDI today will I be entitled to any kind of cash????
You'll have to wait for the settlement to come out....

But I would suspect it will model itself after the 2.0L one.

thsheet

TDI
2014 PASSAT
I got off the phone with the claims people. They told me that it’s a no go in the states, not Canada. I still have a chance for a fix but what the chance is I am not sure. I will have to wait and see

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I got off the phone with the claims people. They told me that it’s a no go in the states, not Canada. I still have a chance for a fix but what the chance is I am not sure. I will have to wait and see
It will be interesting to see; the Canadian emissions regulations are essentially the EPA emissions regulations.

onslaught192

TDI
Jetta Highline
looks like I have another 2000km before I hit the next mileage threshold and the value drops by $1200

questions here are:

A) i'm very likely to get the new tiguan (test drove it already, really like it)....do i park it in the next month and wait until july to maximize buyback value?

B) If so, do i go for the 2019 tiguan?

C) Have there been announcements or if anyone has any dealer contacts that can find out if there are any changes going into the 2019 Tiguan?

Thanks

lb71

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Highline Manual w/ Nav
For those who have gone with the fix, how long did it take to get your restitution payment? The dealer said clients were getting cheques 3-6 weeks later. The website is showing the modification is complete.

Brought mine in this morning at 7:30am and was given a rental. Got a call to pick up at 2pm. A couple of other recalls were done at the same time (snow cap and rear axle inlays). Didn't notice any difference on the way home (~10km).

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I had mine emission fixed on Monday. Droved about 200 km so far, felt no major driveability differences except that there seem to be two idle rpm, one elevated idle rpm while running when you shift into neutral for coasting. As soon as the car comes to a complete stop, the rev drops maybe 100 rpm lower to a stationary idle rpm. Idle fuel consumption during initial cold start seems to be higher at 1.4 liter per hour, engine probably injecting more fuel to heat up the emission system sooner.