Removal of aftermarket double DIN stereo and trim?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Due to a misunderstanding on my part on wiring (didn't connect the antenna power wire) I need to pull a newly installed aftermarket HU (head unit) out of my car. It's installed with a trim kit that holds the HU and snaps into the DIN pocket, and I mean SNAPS. I've read that it's really hard to get one of these installs back out, but no one seems to offer up any proven tips. So...

How does one go about removal w/o screwing things up? I spent a lot of time finishing the trim piece to better match the rest of the dash pieces: sanding off the textured surface and then painting flat black.

Here's the trim piece:

As installed:

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Usually there are some tabs on the side of the head unit that lock into part of the trim or carrier that it slides into.

You probably have to slide something flat on each side of the head unit to release those tabs.

The manual should say how to remove it.

I put a Clarion unit in my car, and it came with the tools and instructions on how to take it out, which I had to do several times.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The trim piece is screwed to the HU. Regular HU removal tools don't apply here.:( (read: it's not that easy/simple) Have to remove/insert the HU and trim piece together.

If you look at the picture of just the trim piece there are little bumps and I think that it might be these that are primarily responsible for locking. I suppose the strategy would be to come in at these areas (pushing in a bit).

Main reason for posting this is to find someone who has actually popped one of these out: I know folks have done it; just don't want to try and reinvent the wheel here, possibly breaking things. I recently had a case of a R&R that went from a 15 minute job to a 6 hour one- I'm NOT wanting to get caught in another such messed up situation (so soon): I'm extremely short on time of late; too easy to get into a hasty mindset.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The trim piece is screwed to the HU. Regular HU removal tools don't apply here.:( (read: it's not that easy/simple) Have to remove/insert the UH and trim piece together.
Gota say I'm not positive but I thought my radio came out w/o that adapter.
Been a while, not sure.
I know I had the radio out a week later & pretty sure I used the 2 keys that came with it.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I made the 4 keys for the Monsoon from a picture I saw on the web somewhere.
Might have used 1/16 inch aluminum cut to 3/16 inch by 2 inches. (or so)
Took longer to make the tools then to use them twice.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
When you figure it out please update UhOh....

I just did a Pioneer 2330NEX double din install on my ladies 02' Jetta using the same adapter you did.

As I slid it into place my only thought was....I hope I never have to pull it out :/

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wankel7, YES! You know exactly why I started this thread!

I'm looking at needing to pull TWO out (want to double-check antenna setup on the wife's car too).

Like I mentioned earlier, it looks like one would have to slide in some semi-rigid thin plastic strips (or such) IN and AT those triple bump bits that are on the top and bottom sides (I think these are the things that are doing the locking). The strips would have to move past these bumps; then pull the HU+trim outward (this might require a more rigid pry tool. Probably have to utilize four strips. Now, to find something that is thin, flexible, won't fold (strong) and won't mar the surrounding plastic...

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't know where may last try went. :confused:
I don't recall the adapter coming out or my adapter may be slightly different.

Picture of my radio removal

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Can you remove the hvac control box and then slip your hand in and reach the back of the head unit?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wankel7, I don't think the HVAC controls can be pulled out. There's cables attached and they're pretty rigid (from what I recall when doing the heater core in the wife's car).

Rich, not sure if that diagram is to showing how to remove the stock HU or the one you installed (and it's install kit). In the case of these installation kits it doesn't apply: the issue is separation of the trim from the console cage rather than of separation of the HU from the trim/console cage.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Yeah, you need the special tools Crutchfield provides to remove the radio from the cage. It "clicks" in, and you aren't going to get it out unless you remove the dash trim from the fuse box to the glovebox, left to right.

In a pinch, if you can fashion a couple of thin pieces of aluminum, thin enough to slid in there and release the cage from the radio, and rigid enough to do the same.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Interesting. You'd think that Crutchfield would say something about this. They prove tools, but only for removal of the stock stereo components.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Yeah, you need the special tools Crutchfield provides to remove the radio from the cage. It "clicks" in, and you aren't going to get it out unless you remove the dash trim from the fuse box to the glovebox, left to right.

In a pinch, if you can fashion a couple of thin pieces of aluminum, thin enough to slid in there and release the cage from the radio, and rigid enough to do the same.
There is no cage with this aftermarket bracket. There are clicks, tools, or anything. Nothing engages the stock mounting system.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
FWIW - My new double-din DID include a trim unit just like the OP which snapped into the stock cage, and did include tools to remove the stock head unit (they assumed a stock double din).

Uhoh - you might be able to source the removal tools from Crutchfield. Just give them a call. I'm sure other people have had this issue. I'd give you mine, but I may need them, as I'm considering going to a new used cage (i.e. may go to a wood trim setup).

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Interesting. You'd think that Crutchfield would say something about this. They prove tools, but only for removal of the stock stereo components.
The 'keys' should have come with the radio if it was that type.
Same as the Monsoon except VW didn't provide them.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Here is a quote from the Metra version of this adapter...

This installation kit is
an extremely tight fit and requires
force to be “snapped” into the dash
opening. Removal of the aftermarket
radio is even more difficult than
installation, so please be sure to fully
test the aftermarket radio and all
accessories prior to snapping it in"

It looks like once you send it home it might not come back :/
http://metraonline.com/part/95-9012

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't remember the name but I got it from Best Buy.
It does look similar to the one in post 1.

John-TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
This is easy as i've had to do this one today. Open your cup holder and you'll see two silver lock tabs on each side release them and slide the cup holder out and you and then see the top of the radio cadge. From there you can then release the two lock tabs on the metra radio bezel and remove the radio. If someone has a center stack with out the cup holders you could use a pick tool with some caution.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, apparently I'm not as lucky/blessed as John-TDI as I totally struck out being able to get mine out. Cup holder removed (I needed to do it anyway); it doesn't provide any value in the instance of the trim piece I have. There was insufficient gap between the trim piece and the cage. I even tried the tin lid from a pop-top can, VERY thin and strong, and it wouldn't fit (or it would barely start and then bend). So...

I give up on this. Got other stuff taken care of. Reception is tolerable: I tend to play my own music, anyway.

SO: WARNING: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EVERYTHING PERFECT BEFORE POPPING ONE OF THESE BABIES HOME! Only way out that I see is via a dremel: I put in effort sanding down (it's got a dimpled texture, which clashes with the smooth surface of the cage trim) and then painting my trim piece, work that I'm not willing to do again just to hook that antenna wire up.

JosephSeed

TDI
2.0 passat
Thanks for this thread!

Quick question: Did anyone install the Kenwood DDX9703S Double DIN into their car.
According to Amazon reviews and other sites it's the best Kenwood you can buy.
The only kinda "drawback" is the annoying pop up every time you start it.
Is this really the best Kenwood and if anybody has this one did you have issues with installation?

Thanks

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I installed a Kenwood DNX571HD in mine.
I do not have any pop.
I did call Kenwood support with a few questions back then.

DinkleDorph

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
I just installed a Kenwood DPX304MBT double din radio with the same plastic mount as OP and that thing isn't coming out without having to destroy something. I will have to find a way to rip it out because the new radio doesn't turn off when I pull the keys out of the ignition. For now I'll have to manually turn it off. I got the Crutchfield kit with the wiring harness and Xsvi-9003-nav. I should have done a little more research and testing before lodging that thing in there I guess. If anyone knows of a better/removable mount for double din radios please let me know. 04 TDI double din non-monsoon

Update: Realized my radio turns off automatically when I lock the car with the key. No the same as the original radio where it turned off when I removed the key, but better than nothing!

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you get keys to release the radio?
I think I had 4 keys to release it, but a few times it just came out.

frizzical

TDI
2004 Golf MK4
Having the same issue if anyone figures it out! Had my HU in and universal double din cage for a while until I got the proper facia but when I was sliding it in the radio antenna cable popped out 🙄 grabbed an extension from Supercheap Auto to fix it but now can't get the HU back out 😆

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Having the same issue if anyone figures it out! Had my HU in and universal double din cage for a while until I got the proper facia but when I was sliding it in the radio antenna cable popped out 🙄 grabbed an extension from Supercheap Auto to fix it but now can't get the HU back out 😆
When I installed my double din HU, I specifically wanted to make sure I could get it out. I used the universal cage as well. When I had it all back together, I took it back out again. I wish I remembered all the steps, but I know it involved removing the cupholder above. After that was out, I was able to get enough purchase on the unit to basically pivot the unit on the bottom edge and pry the top side out though so I could get a grip on both sides on the unit. I then pulled straight out.

Hope I'm remembering everything right, when I did it I thought "That was pretty easy" because I had read nightmares about removing DD head units on here.