The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The reports of my demise were slightly exaggerated, but not by much.

My apologies for not being on here much lately, but with the new job that keeps me hopping most of the time, family issues at home, a close death in the family, a computer that died, and battling depression, life sort of took a back seat, and that includes the TDI's and anything TDI related. Needless to say, I made some life changes and am getting back on track.

Steve Addy, your injectors are incoming, along with a little something and my apologies for taking so long. They were cleaned in the ultrasonic and then tested with the pop tester. They were a mess from all the carbon and one of the needles was stuck but I was able to get it out alternating between the pop tester and ultrasonic with de-carboning fluid in it a few times, and then using a rare earth magnet to remove it. It's fine now. All pop normally with great spray patterns.

My B4 sedan still has a boost limit issue where it won't go above 15 psi. This is with the new hybrid turbo but the old one did it as well. I can't find a boost leak and all hoses are good, replaced N75, etc, etc. The glow plugs also stopped working and I suspect the maxi-fuse. It failed inspection so I replaced the rear brakes, hard brake lines, flex lines, and proportioning valve. Now one of the calipers has a boot that came off so the piston is corroded. Time for the upgrade.

The wagon (Windex's old one) is off the road currently. I blew the rear struts last summer and bought new Bilstein HD's but have not put them in yet. W386 removed the interior for me and found a gaping hole on the strut tower near the fuel tank, so now the fuel tank has to come out to be repaired. It should be easy since it has the new stainless tank straps that were just put on last year. The winter sand/salt mix sat on top of the fuel tank fill hose and just rotted the metal away. It also needs another timing belt since it's 6K overdue. I have all the parts just lacked the motivation over the last 5 months to work on it. It also needs a new rear caliper since one of the boots is torn.

W386's wagon is still going strong but needs the muffler repaired. We put all new brakes all the way around on it and he had the windshield frame repaired. I've done a bunch of other stuff on it over the last 9 months but can't remember now, my memory is like trying to look back through the fog. My back still hasn't fully healed from replacing the floorboards last year and more than a few hours doing the VW calisthenics hurts for days.

My younger brother's B4 hasn't needed much, although he did stop by a few weeks ago. I was able to fix his headlight issue (missing fuse), both front door handles, and a few other minor things. I need to replace his timing belt and IP soon.

My older brother finally broke down and bought a B7 TDI rather than trying to fix his B4. Usually I am roped into fixing it for him over most of a week so it'll pass inspection, but this year I told him I was just plain unable to do it. He finally got his '82 Westy TD back on the road and only wanted one hobbyist vehicle, so that won.

Revkev has injector issues that were causing problems. I warned him not to go with Prothe again but he did anyway. There was nothing I could do to make them run correctly. He needs a heater core replaced but I flat out refused. I hate doing that to someone in need but I've done them before and can't afford to spend 14-16 hours replacing it. I actually haven't seen in much in months since he's been busy as well.

I have not worked on other TDI's since it was simply too much for me to deal with. But that page has turned and things are definitely looking up. I'll be on here more often and will help where I can, but I'm not doing side work if I can help it since too many other things suffered as a result, with the main one being myself. I feel like I just woke up from being in a coma for 6+ months.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The reports of my demise were slightly exaggerated, but not by much.
That's good, have been wondering where you got to although I knew that you were likely held captive by this new job.

Steve Addy, your injectors are incoming, along with a little something and my apologies for taking so long. They were cleaned in the ultrasonic and then tested with the pop tester. They were a mess from all the carbon and one of the needles was stuck but I was able to get it out alternating between the pop tester and ultrasonic with de-carboning fluid in it a few times, and then using a rare earth magnet to remove it. It's fine now. All pop normally with great spray patterns.
I feel badly now about asking you to do them, my request was never meant to become a problem. I know what you mean when you say you have to tell people you can't do things, I have a friend who bought a Mk4 tdi wagon and I've just had to say no as well even though I hate it. I spent far too much time (donated) on his Mk1 diesel project that eventually became a 76 Rabbit diesel conversion and I had to put the foot down.

I knew at some point you would get to them, kind of why I only asked about them a couple times. Glad you got them done although it sounds like they were a pita!

The wagon (Windex's old one) is off the road currently. I blew the rear struts last summer and bought new Bilstein HD's but have not put them in yet. W386 removed the interior for me and found a gaping hole on the strut tower near the fuel tank, so now the fuel tank has to come out to be repaired. It should be easy since it has the new stainless tank straps that were just put on last year. The winter sand/salt mix sat on top of the fuel tank fill hose and just rotted the metal away. It also needs another timing belt since it's 6K overdue. I have all the parts just lacked the motivation over the last 5 months to work on it. It also needs a new rear caliper since one of the boots is torn.
Which side do you need? I have a new rear caliper laying about that I'll never use.

I have not worked on other TDI's since it was simply too much for me to deal with. But that page has turned and things are definitely looking up. I'll be on here more often and will help where I can, but I'm not doing side work if I can help it since too many other things suffered as a result, with the main one being myself. I feel like I just woke up from being in a coma for 6+ months.
I know the back problems you speak of very well from my own experiences, not looking forward to getting under the wagon anytime soon though, my Mk3 will need some welding work on the floor but I can't do it now, I hit a woodchuck a week ago last sunday on a group bike ride going 21 mph and it flipped me over. I slid down the street about 20' before coming to a stop. I can't do much of anything right now..lol. Less than 500 miles on the new bike too..:-(

Glad to have you back on the forum Mark.

Steve

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Take your time to recover Abacus! And don't be afraid to seek help in battling depression. I know from experience :/

mrbrefast

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4V, the MFALCON - SOLD
But that page has turned and things are definitely looking up. I'll be on here more often and will help where I can, but I'm not doing side work if I can help it since too many other things suffered as a result, with the main one being myself. I feel like I just woke up from being in a coma for 6+ months.
I have not been on this particular forum in many, many moons. Didn't know you weren't feeling well, but I very much am heartened to hear that you're now feeling better.

Wellness in general is a struggle, but the black dog of depression has a tendency to lurk at the doorway even after we think it has been chased off (I too know this all too well, personally). I am hoping that you have a support network in place local to you where you can get assistance with continuing to chase that damned dog off, as many times as it takes. As frustrating as humanity CONSISTENTLY is... it ends up being a team game anyways, so finding viable teammates makes all the difference, in my experience.

Perhaps next time I am in Maine (see below) I will try and stop by and buy you some dinner!

______

I believe I mentioned previously that in December 2016 I traded for a 2016 Nissan Titan XD with the new Cummins 5.0L V8 motor. And it has been fantastic over these ~21,300 miles drive in fewer than 11 months of ownership (!).

Best yet: 21.6mpg highway with the 7700 off-road trim (therefore lifted) monster. Comfortably get ~18.5 most commutes with stop and go, easy to top 20mpg at ~67mph cruise control.

It ain't no B4 with a stick shift for MPG... but on the other hand, I can tow the moon back into orbit if needed AND it is the first vehicle I've yet owned that I actually fit into, at 6'4". Trade-offs.

It must be said: Mark and others here, my continuing gratitude for the patience and helpfulness as I learned how to work on cars for the first time, with my B4V which was my first car... predominately using the accumulated wisdom and helpfulness of folks on this forum. Heartfelt and ongoing: THANK YOU.

Obligatory thread for my truck:

More details and pictures (of course) here.

Obligatory exciting news about the truck: I intend in ~2020 March to embark upon an off-road camping trip through all 50 states in a row (plus diagonally across Canada to get to Alaska from NE Ohio, to start off). Well, Hawaii will be flown to because the full 50 state set requires it. Maybe I will take a lug nut from the truck with me so it "made it" with me to all 50. I have settled on a design and will basically have this rooftop tent atop the ladder rack and then fabricate things like a fold-out kitchen and such to make for quick and easy camping regardless of campsite, parking lot, or the side of an abandoned road.

All of these things I actually tried to do with my B4V (like the tent camping trip to Maine when I met Mark in person during the 2013 blizzard in Bar Harbor!......... or the -18 degrees I tent camped in Vermont that February and woke up the next morning to find a racoon had frozen to death along the path back to the car)... and boy it is going to be easier with my truck and things like "4x4" and "more than zero ground clearance" and "550+ fl-lbs of torque to get out of mud" and the like. To quote the philosopher Biggie Smalls: "things done changed."

Very excite, and only capable of the mechanical skills involved because of this forum/this thread :D

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
That's good, have been wondering where you got to although I knew that you were likely held captive by this new job.
Yes, it has definitely held me captive, much different from the old one. It has its benefits though and the amount I'm learning is incredible despite being in the field for 25 years already.

I feel badly now about asking you to do them, my request was never meant to become a problem.

I knew at some point you would get to them, kind of why I only asked about them a couple times. Glad you got them done although it sounds like they were a pita!
Don't feel bad a bit, it's my fault for not addressing them sooner. I never intended to be in the state I was or I wouldn't have offered. It was unrealized until I was firmly rooted in it, and it took getting to the brink that I realized where I was and that I didn't want to be there. I've always battled demons from my time in the Army, it's a silent burden many of us have, but I've always guarded against it internally. I've taken steps to change things and hopefully prevent it from recurring, which is so far working, but it's a slow climb.

I know what you mean when you say you have to tell people you can't do things, I have a friend who bought a Mk4 tdi wagon and I've just had to say no as well even though I hate it. I spent far too much time (donated) on his Mk1 diesel project that eventually became a 76 Rabbit diesel conversion and I had to put the foot down.
Yes, it's an alien concept to me since I've always been willing to help. I think I helped too much and it got the better of me, coupled with other factors. I did the same at work much to their chagrin and dismay, but they'll work me into oblivion if I let them, the same with most companies.

Which side do you need? I have a new rear caliper laying about that I'll never use.
I am in need of the passengers side.

Glad to have you back on the forum Mark.

Steve
Thank you. Things honestly feel new to me now, like I'm seeing them for the first time. It's kinda weird.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Glad to see you back and doing better Mark. Looking forward to future updates/antics on the old girl.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
We were scheduled to head to PEI for the weekend and were going to take the wife's 2014 Kia Sorento but received word on Thursday that the stealership didn't have the wheel bearing in stock, so her car wouldn't be ready in time. Never mind that we called when scheduling the appointment a week prior and told them that another SAE mechanic, who just put new tires and alignment on it, said it would need one. It's still under warranty at 116,000 miles which is why we didn't have the work done elsewhere or I didn't do it myself.

Anyway, since the wagon is up on jackstands with the interior torn apart (which is too bad because it's a highway cruiser due to the 6 speed), it meant we'd have to take the sedan. The sedan was mostly ready but I had to do some small things to it that needed work, so I started tackling those around 9PM Thursday nite. I installed the grab handles, installed the interior lights, polished the headlights, installed the ODIN skid plate, checked all the fluids, adjusted the brake proportioning valve, repaired the passenger's rear window wiring harness, and tried diagnosing the boost issue to no avail. It'll boost fine to 15 psi but not above, but will fuel to 20 psi, so it smokes like a coal train at higher rpm's, which I hate. It wasn't until 3AM and I'd put everything away that I realized I forgot to cap the ECU hose port on the intercooler pipe, which is why it wouldn't build pressure to check for leaks. I also downloaded and checked the Vag-Com program on the new laptop, just in case.

I got a little sleep around 4AM and then loaded the car with 12 big bags of cat food (it's 4x the price on the Island), 2 comforters, and 6 big boxes of chocolates destined for the Island, along with our gear and some tools. We struck out and 520 miles later arrived without a hitch on PEI. It's nice not having to fuel up all the time like with her Kia and we won''t have to refuel until back in the US. Diesel in Canada is about $1 a gallon higher than the US, taking into account the exchange rate.

One of our cousins here decided to hit a pick-n-pull junkyard and asked if I wanted to go. I haven't been to a junkyard in over a year so I agreed since the sedan has tan interior door handles and a black interior from TDIDaveNH. I'd also like to find the knee bolster storage trays that were only available in Canada. There were no B4's in the yard but there was an A3 TDI and an automatic A4 TDI with an 11mm IP. We went back and asked about the fuel pump and were told $35, so I had it out in 15 minutes, complete with wiring harness and hard lines. Once we returned to the counter the guy said he thought it was an in-tank fuel pump and had to charge more...$40.

I'm still smiling. I have one I bought from Windex when I got the wagon but have not installed it yet. Now I can put one in the wagon and the sedan, and since I have to do a timing belt on the wagon anyway. Happy days.

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I have one I bought from Windex when I got the wagon but have not installed it yet. Now I can put one in the wagon and the sedan, and since I have to do a timing belt on the wagon anyway. Happy days.

Btw, you may want to open that pump and check the condition. I just opened an IDI pump that went on the shelf about 1.5 years ago. Plan was to put a 10mm head on it, governor mod, etc, reseal, then toss it in my AAZ truck.

The diesel was varnishing, had a red tinge to it and the internals were gummed up. The vanes in the rotor were seized, slight rusting on the camplate, too. I've never had this pump open before, but it ran fine, when I pulled it.

I'm in the process of cleaning it out with lacquer thinner. Breaks down the varnish pretty easily, but it was unexpected. I'm glad I opened it, rather than waiting.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jimbote, claims you can get these IPs to pump, with just 12v to the stop solenoid.

I've never tried it, but it may be worth a shot. I've got around 5 IPs on the shelf, so I should start a 6 month PM service. So far, the only IP I've done it to, is a M-TDI pump.

I just pulled an 11mm pump out of the JY Saturday, so I may give it a go. I cleaned it last night and I'm seeing seepage at the head seal. I'm hoping this is why the car was sent to the JY....

-Todd

nh nam vet

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 97 Passats , 02 Jetta
Mark,

Welcome back. We talked about PTSD in PM's previously. Most non-veterans are conveniently clueless and unsympathetic to returning war veteran issues As another war veteran, I just wanted to say many thanks for your service to America. I am wishing you the best and a gradual restoration to normalcy. A redundant thanks from this forum for helping to keep our B4 Passats on the road with your posts and insight. May God bless you, Mark.
Jeff Gerst

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Gotta love the B4.

1,120 miles round trip (over 800 miles on a tank), 43.3 mpg average with most speeds 75-80 mph, half of which was with a fully loaded car, and some around town driving on PEI. No issues at all and it never skipped a beat. I also passed this on the way home:

I'm sure the wagon would have returned better economy with the 6 speed but this did well. Now to get the glow plugs and boost issue sorted out. Oh yeah, the lumbar adjustment on the driver's seat died, making for an uncomfortable ride until I put my coat behind me for support. I'll be diving head first into the wagon as well and will install the 11mm pump with the timing belt. W386 is getting some PP520 injectors I had kicking around from the green wagon years ago, so he'll be happy with some extra power. I already installed the Malone 2+ chips so those should really wake it up.

I just ordered all new drilled & slotted rotors for it and the rear of the wagon. I went with them over the solid rotors because with the rain it takes a few seconds for the water to bake off before they grab. They've always been this way and with the wife driving it in the near future, stopping asap is a necessity. Now to order pads to go with them.

Last edited:

starrd

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Today, I figured out how to get my radio code from the original Premium radio built by Matsu****a. I had to read the serial eprom with my eprom reader. Once I had that file, I compared to the file from my other radio that I had the code for and my work was done - code was sitting right there plain as day.

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Here's an odd one:

My starter was acting up on me recently, and I had to roll start it a few times before I got home. Since then, my clutch seems to slip a bit when I floor it in 5th gear, and I'm pretty sure it didn't do that before. Is that possible? Could I have damaged my clutch somehow?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Dropped the fuel tank on the B3V today to replace what I figured was a leaking fuel hose. I'd already replaced the short section from the sending unit to the one-way valve, but I hadn't replaced the one from the valve to the fuel line because you can't reach the far end without dropping the tank down.

Now I zero air bubbles in the fuel supply line under the hood.

Steve

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
Moving on...

I drove the red death to the pasture for a well deserved retirement. I swapped the bad 10mm pump from my 2003 onto it so its still mobile. The "bad" pump idles like crap but runs well enough to drive it around if needed.

I put the 11mm pump from the B4 onto the 2003 as my new daily and i immediately remembered why i dont like working on them...

All because some jackwagon put the motor mount in the middle of the timing belt path so you cannot reach the tensioner with the metalnerd tool unless the mount is unbolted...

unfortunately i will probably be moving away from the B4s to A4's. I may go back to A1-A2's if i find a clean one for low monies - but all the A3's have rusted to the point of needing a tetanus shot whenever you wrench on them and B4's have really crappy parts availability.

My decision to modernize has mostly to do with that parts availability. You can get anything imaginable for the A4s and this will continue for the foreseeable future... While getting an OEM or quality equivalent part for a B4 is considerably harder and will never improve because of the low volume of them.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can understand your reasoning, if you're in the salt belt.

I guess I'm fortunate that my B4s are clean, but I haven't seen a B4 in the JYs, in over a year, let alone a TDI.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I dislike the Mk4 cars for the same reason, well that and that they're a significant departure from the Mk2/3/B3/B4 arena. So far I'm not going to worry about parts but I'm sure I'll have to contend with that in the future.

That's one reason I snagged a 94 Dodge Dakota as a winter beater this fall. I don't intend to really drive it all that much but it was tough on the B3V when it was cold out, it had trouble getting fully warmed up unless you were headed out onto the freeway for a good distance, say around 10+ miles, and that's even with the oil pan heater giving a little bottom end heat.

Besides, I was needing something to haul some minor materials and yard debris, which has been a pita with the Chevy K1500 TD, which will be sold before the end of the year along with my 92 Jetta Carat.

Really do need to clear out some stuff...

Steve

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Gotta love the B4.
I just ordered all new drilled & slotted rotors for it and the rear of the wagon. I went with them over the solid rotors because with the rain it takes a few seconds for the water to bake off before they grab. They've always been this way and with the wife driving it in the near future, stopping asap is a necessity. Now to order pads to go with them.
FWIW, I installed the cross drilled rotors on all four corners of my B4, when I had it. Now my brother has it, and loves them!

Glad to hear your trip went well!

Tony

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
They just arrived and look good, I'll put them on this week and report back.

We just took another trip down to Mass for the Patriot's game at Foxboro, another 700 miles on the sedan without a hitch. This week is dedicated to working on the B4's.

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
My daily driver black B4 died as I was entering parking garage at work. It gave a burning smell, shook noticeably and the shifter would not budge after that. I turned engine off and then it allowed me to shift into neutral but would not shift anymore.
A couple of decent people saw what was happening and stepped out of their cars, and helped me push it out of the way.
I am assuming the clutch died and considering this for replacement. What else could have caused sudden death? Any advice would be appreciated. (no connection to seller)
https://www.idparts.com/sachs-vr6-clutch-kit-b4a3a4a5-p-297.html

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Gotta love the B4. ..................
Are you also considering braided stainless brake lines?

It took me a bit of searching and several false starts (web-sites that showed them available but not really) until I found this seller. Not inexpensive but they fit correctly and improved brake stopping. (again no connection to seller)
http://automotivedna.com/goodridge/goodridge-gstop-brake-lines/39052/i-495935.aspx

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
My daily driver black B4 died as I was entering parking garage at work. It gave a burning smell, shook noticeably and the shifter would not budge after that. I turned engine off and then it allowed me to shift into neutral but would not shift anymore.
A couple of decent people saw what was happening and stepped out of their cars, and helped me push it out of the way.
I am assuming the clutch died and considering this for replacement. What else could have caused sudden death? Any advice would be appreciated. (no connection to seller)
https://www.idparts.com/sachs-vr6-clutch-kit-b4a3a4a5-p-297.html
if you are not modded for more power you can go a bit cheaper than that with the LUK clutches.

17-036 is an SMF clutch, also originally intended for the VR6, which will mean getting your current flywheel machined. i bought one from amazon's "warehouse deals" for like $120 because the box was ruined, all components still in original plastic packaging inside that box.

17-050 is a DMF that was used on the Mk4, kit INCLUDES a dual mass flywheel so you can just put your current flywheel on the shelf (or in the classifieds sections)

neither is meant for modded cars with abusive levels of torque... "stage 1" tune or nozzles will be fine but not both.

Not knocking IDparts at all, i buy pretty much all my TDI specific stuff from them because the prices are good and shipping is very fast.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm running a DMF in the wagon with pretty significant power upgrades and no issues at all. It's still smooth as silk.
good to hear, that would make it a very cost effective clutch.

i think it all has to do with how steep/abrupt the torque curve is. I think an aggressive tune with nozzles could make these clutches slip if driven hard... mine did, but it was very heavily fueled. lol

Below is what i based my "butt dyno torque rating" of the Luk clutches on:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=211145&page=3 post #40

LUK official clamping force rating from their tech support:
17-036 VR6 for SMF: 1574 lbs
17-050 for DMF: 1427 lbs

Using Whitbread's formula and variables for the disc, those numbers translate to 300.6 ft-lb and 272.6 ft-lb respectively.

I believe those numbers are at the crank.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Milestone today, crossed over the 20,000 mile mark in the B3V conversion. First put on the road around May 15th, 2016.

Also, got very lucky today, found a JY with a B3 VR6 sedan about 127 miles away.

And that car produced this, the inner lower fender paneling with the vent that was originally for the intercooled turbo diesel B3 cars (think Canadian) and will also work on my B3V tdi conversion.

These lower panels were only found on 92-94 VR6 powered Passats in the US, which are now very few and far between. Also the panels often get tossed if the bumper comes off the car. I got very lucky finding this one. It was a lucky find.

Steve

Last edited: