Frost heater ?

Kelly6773

TDI
2011 JSW
I live where temps drop to -20F very often and drop to -40F on occasion. Temps are straight air temps no wind chill. With that said should I get the frost heater? JSW has started fine at -22F. I posted this in the wrong group put cant seem to delete this or move it. If some one could move it I'd appreciate it thanks.

Last edited:

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
It will make it far easier for your car to start on the coldest of days, provide faster warmup, and quicker cabin heat. I use mine every day the temps are below freezing for those reasons.

If you are ok with the cost, and logistically you can plug it in every day and setup some form of a timer to control it, then I highly recommend one! Is it necessary? No. Is it nice to have? Most certainly.

Revpeach

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
There is less wear and tear starting an engine that is warm. My fuel mileage does not drop off in cold weather as much when I use my heater. It is a nice safety advantage to have defrosters working and not having to wait for 5 or 10 miles before the engine makes enough heat to be effective. And finally, my old body sure likes having heat in the cabin even with the electric seats.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
This is the only FrostHeater post that came up in a search of the Mk7 forum.

Who’s installed a FrostHeater in their Mk7? Any raves or regrets? Any reason I shouldn’t order one today?

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
I was just thinking about this too. Blue_Hen_TDI beat me to it. I have been considering a FrostHeater since I started considering a TDI. Now after living with the TDI, I don't think I need one, but I think it would be nice to have for faster warmup and defrost.

I won't re-ask Blue_Hen_TDI's questions, but I'll add one: Does the Mk7 version heat both the block coolant loop and the head/heater core loop, or just one of the loops?

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
I read in a few places that with the MK7, it is not really needed. That said, in a place like the upper Northeast, Michigan, North Dakota, ETC, I would definitely consider it.

It has been touching 30, and low 40's early morning here and my GSW seems to warm up really fast, on par with gasoline cars.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I won't re-ask Blue_Hen_TDI's questions, but I'll add one: Does the Mk7 version heat both the block coolant loop and the head/heater core loop, or just one of the loops?
Ive been down that road. Terry's emails are not helpful. You need to buy one to get any information.

750watts for 2hrs a day a month raised my bill under $15. Worth it with the 09, as daycare was under 7 miles, so the kids didn't freeze dropping them off.

Unfortunately I don't have heated seats in this new rig

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
Ordered one from IDPARTS yesterday, backordered for they say two weeks. I park in a relatively warm garage at home. At work it's 12 hours in up to -40F temps a few times a winter. There are parking spots that have 120V outlets for car heaters. First come first serve though. As an aside. I tried to directly order from the Frost Heater website but my PC antivirus wasn't having any part of that website.

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
Is frost heater better than the factory block heater that TDI's come with?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey, somebody bite the bullet and make a YouTube video when they install their Frostheater, mmkay? I want to know what landmines I'll have to avoid. I watched a MkVI how-to video and it doesn't look too bad.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
Ordered one from ID Parts late today, ships Monday.

Enjoy having one on the 05, seems like a good idea for the 15 as well.
Set it on a timer for an hour or three before leaving for work. Plenty warm right out the driveway and engine finishes warming up quite quickly.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine is being delivered today. Did any of the others that ordered last weekend install theirs yet? Any tips? Success/horror stories?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I read through the directions last night and will attempt install today. Looks pretty straightforward, and I only consider myself about a 3/10 on a 10 point scale of mechanical inclination. It looks like you cinch hoses in three spots to prevent coolant loss, cut one hose, and then just rearrange all connections, working in the two hoses from the heater. I have the cable operated spring clamp removal tool, so hopefully I can get in all the tight quarters.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Uncle! I can’t get the coolant hose to come off (that b**** is on there, even after I used the spring clamp tool and got the clamp fully loose) and I’m freezing. Looks like I’ll be paying somebody to do this.

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
You may need to get some channel locks and grip the hose that is stuck and move it back and forth in a semi circular motion. The coolant acts something like a glue between the metal/plastic pipe and rubber. Break that "glue" bond and it should come apart.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You may need to get some channel locks and grip the hose that is stuck and move it back and forth in a semi circular motion. The coolant acts something like a glue between the metal and rubber. Break that "glue" bond and it should come apart.
I’m not in a position to take a chance on breaking something, and it’s really cold and windy outside here, so I was glad to book an appointment with one of our trusted TDI mechanics in Baltimore. I have the heater bolted in. I just taped off the hose ends to keep crud out and zip tied the hoses. Should be a quick appointment.

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine showed up today. Looks like a quality assembly. I have the luxury of a lift and a garage but it will be next week or the end of the month before I install it.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I believe backwards.

It's assembled dry. Once it's broke loose and coolant gets in between then it whips around on the barb like butter.

eccohrs

TDI
2013 6spd Golf
Just put mine in last week, and it works like a charm. Car starts like it's the middle of summer and I get instant heat.

I took the battery and battery tray out before putting mine in, the extra room to work was nice, plus I was able to take the tray inside to make the cut for the bracket. Installation was pretty straight forward. I planned on flushing the coolant so I didn't bother clamping any hoses. To get the old hoses off I backed the clamps off and made several small cuts in the hose with a utility blade, careful not to cut too deep and score the aluminum nipple. I cut the old hose from oil cooler to cylinder head off, slipped the new hoses on, put the tray back in to "dry fit" the bracket, cut the tray and put it all back in. Zip ties to clean everything up, took me about 3 hours.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just put mine in last week, and it works like a charm. Car starts like it's the middle of summer and I get instant heat.

I took the battery and battery tray out before putting mine in, the extra room to work was nice, plus I was able to take the tray inside to make the cut for the bracket. Installation was pretty straight forward. I planned on flushing the coolant so I didn't bother clamping any hoses. To get the old hoses off I backed the clamps off and made several small cuts in the hose with a utility blade, careful not to cut too deep and score the aluminum nipple. I cut the old hose from oil cooler to cylinder head off, slipped the new hoses on, put the tray back in to "dry fit" the bracket, cut the tray and put it all back in. Zip ties to clean everything up, took me about 3 hours.
Good info.

I'm not sure what you mean by "make the cut for the bracket"? My FrostHeater came with a bracket and mounted up very easily. I saw no reason at all to remove the battery, which is more toward the back of the engine bay. (EDIT: oh wait - you have a MkIV - disregard)

I may try again to get that dastardly hose off tomorrow. It's supposed to warm up a little. It was 25F this morning.

eccohrs

TDI
2013 6spd Golf
Good info.

I'm not sure what you mean by "make the cut for the bracket"? My FrostHeater came with a bracket and mounted up very easily. I saw no reason at all to remove the battery, which is more toward the back of the engine bay. (EDIT: oh wait - you have a MkIV - disregard)

I may try again to get that dastardly hose off tomorrow. It's supposed to warm up a little. It was 25F this morning.
Good luck! My battery tray had a small outer lip that needed to be cut/filed so that the bracket bolts flush with the tray... may not be the same for your frost heater.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
Installing mine now.
The instructions and pictures are quite good, it looks simple enough. Things aren’t that hard to reach, all from bottom after pinching off a few hoses on top.
However I’ve had more of a coolant bath than I care for already and not quite done.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Terry mentioned it's quite complicated because of the several coolant routes that are in the system.

Possible to share any directions?