Aux Power Lead

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Would like to add a repair lead to the interior fuse box of my MkVI on the ATC fuse bus to add an aux power lead back to the trunk area.

What size connector do I need?

1.5mm and 2mm seem too small, I'm thinking either 4mm or 6mm but I want to get the right thing the first time.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Would like to add a repair lead to the interior fuse box of my MkVI on the ATC fuse bus to add an aux power lead back to the trunk area.
What size connector do I need?
1.5mm and 2mm seem too small, I'm thinking either 4mm or 6mm but I want to get the right thing the first time.
Why not just run a completely HOT 12 volt wire from the battery and then fuse it in the trunk to whatever you are trying to accomplish.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Then I have pretty much the same issue, but I now have to figure out how to get it through the firewall without screwing something else up.

realslimshaver

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta gls tdi
There is a pre existing hole where a throttle cable would go on mkiv cars. Everyone runs there audio power wire through it. If it's only somthing small like a dash cam you can grab stitched power from terminals above driver feet just add a fuse. Otherwise go to battery and a optional relay if need be for larger loads

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Realistically speaking there is a live 12 volt line in the trunk already, which is for the trunk light. But the wires for it are very small so are not made for a big load.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Why not just run a completely HOT 12 volt wire from the battery and then fuse it in the trunk to whatever you are trying to accomplish.
:eek:
:eek:

Because if you get a short anywhere in that wire before you reach the fuse....your whole car can go up in smoke. Already saw one guys car do the with a small wire to power an aftermarket radio. Thanks but I will come off a fuse for the main lead and then add another set of fuses in the trunk for each of the loads.

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
That's what I did for my ham radio in the trunk. Ran positive and negative wire from the battery (inline fuses on both right by the battery) back to the trunk. I used the existing raceway in the engine compartment, went through the firewall (existing hole, just poke something semi-flexible through the grommet, then use that to pull wire through), and ran the cable under the bottom door opening trim to the trunk. It's very easy, took maybe 30 minutes if you know roughly how to remove the trim panels.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's what I did for my ham radio in the trunk. Ran positive and negative wire from the battery (inline fuses on both right by the battery) back to the trunk. I used the existing raceway in the engine compartment, went through the firewall (existing hole, just poke something semi-flexible through the grommet, then use that to pull wire through), and ran the cable under the bottom door opening trim to the trunk. It's very easy, took maybe 30 minutes if you know roughly how to remove the trim panels.
Exactly my point !!!!:rolleyes: