Gen 2 Fix Approved

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
So, I am an hour into my road trip. My fuel mileage is abysmally low. Only showing tank endurance of 780 miles. Struggling to get over 44.4 average on the display. Car feels like it is struggling to maintain speed. Having to use a lot more throttle just to hold 65 miles per hour. Not very pleased right now.
What sort of elevation changes are you driving through? This weighs heavily on fuel economy. Also, are you driving into the wind or with it at your back?

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I took a road trip the day after the emissions fix on the same route in similar conditions with extra passenger and got around 52 mpg. My experience so far is minimal to no effect on mileage. I have noticed the go pedal feels ever so slightly different, like there is a teeny more resistance, but I can't explain it. But power is certainly there if demanded.

markm102

TDI
2013 Passat SE
Got the fix on my 2013 Passat TDI SE. Took my usual commute today and engine performance seemed fine. Engine noise - mininmally louder - nothing to get worked up about. MPG's seemed comparable. Gas gauge was same movement as before. Still waiting for email re: payment. So that would be the final puzzle piece. All good for now.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
What sort of elevation changes are you driving through? This weighs heavily on fuel economy. Also, are you driving into the wind or with it at your back?
Route 30 from Fort Wayne heading East. 65ish MPH, minimal elevation changes. Traveled this route before and traditionally show 53ish MPG on the display. Have SLOWLY crept up to about 47.7 to 47.9 mpg, but haven't broken 48 yet. Am in PA now on I80, 293 miles and 4:45 into the trip. Tank endurance fluctuating between 810 and 840 as trip average MPG moves. This is a BIG difference. Normally out on an extended road trip with a full tank I would be showing around 900 to 925 endurance. It simply feels like something is holding the car back and making it work harder.

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI

I contacted VWoA this morning and a lady talked me through the Chase payment screens. At the next screen, I input my Wells Fargo data and the transfer was started. It should take 2 - 3 days. The original email from Chase was vague as to re-routing the funds to my bank.

We had the fix yesterday, it is now 2238 hrs(1038 PM) I just received an email that my check is at Chase Bank. And at midnight the funds will be cancelled I do not have an account at Chase! NOW WHAT? You can bet I will be on the phone to VWoA first thing in the morning.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Nope - one or the other, with possibly a few narrow exceptions (I forget the details) . . .

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
One or the other. The only way you could get the fix and then sell back to VW is if there is a recurring fault due to the fix. This is denoted in the settlement docs as a Lemon Law clause.

craigtdi

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Anyone in Canada receive the fix yet? I have a 2014 passat tdi dsg. I have done my paperwork through the claims portal and I am keeping my car but they say there is still no approved emissions modification for my car. Yet the Canadian VW emissions info website says there is a fix and it is software only. I went to the dealer and they said it was a software and a hardware fix, and I would have to wait at least a year for the hardware.(keep in mind they also told me they have not done any 2012-2014's yet) I thought the hardware phase 2 was only for the 2015 passats. So then I called VW Canada and they don't seem to know anything either. If you have got this fix done in Canada please let me know the name of the dealer so I can call them. Seems like a lot of confusion between the claims portal, VW Canada, and actual dealers.

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
Confusion at VW/Ricepoint/Dealership

Anyone in Canada receive the fix yet? I have a 2014 passat tdi dsg. I have done my paperwork through the claims portal and I am keeping my car but they say there is still no approved emissions modification for my car. Yet the Canadian VW emissions info website says there is a fix and it is software only. I went to the dealer and they said it was a software and a hardware fix, and I would have to wait at least a year for the hardware.(keep in mind they also told me they have not done any 2012-2014's yet) I thought the hardware phase 2 was only for the 2015 passats. So then I called VW Canada and they don't seem to know anything either. If you have got this fix done in Canada please let me know the name of the dealer so I can call them. Seems like a lot of confusion between the claims portal, VW Canada, and actual dealers.
I am in the same boat. I'm keeping my Passat and have signed and sent in my signed offer letter and release. And received two emails shortly after.

The first saying : "Thank you for submitting your offer letter. Next, we will review your signed offer letter and release to ensure that you have provided all the necessary information to complete your acceptance of our offer. We will contact you regarding next steps after we have finished reviewing your offer letter and release."

Fine but then the second email said this:

"Your acceptance of our offer is complete. We will notify you if EPA approve a modification for your vehicle. Once a modification is available, Volkswagen will then contact you regarding next steps."

WHAT? THE EPA HAS APPROVED A FIX???? ***?

So I called ricepoint and they said oh disregard the second email. ***? I mean get your stuff together!

So I. Called my dealer and they say thee same thing! That it will be. Two part fix first software then later hardware??? ***? I said not as far as I understand! So as far I can tell the canadian dealers DO NOT HAVE THE FIX YET. I assume that they will have once we get notice to book an appoointment at our dealer of choice. This is Bureaucracy at it's best. Quite a LOT of patience required. I'm going to complain to vw Canada about the misinformation. Steve ps I'll post when I hear something.

Last edited:

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
I've registered a complaint

Ok I called VW Canada to lodge a complaint against ricepoint and the dealers regarding misinformation surrounding the gen 2 fix. Originally they tried to say that it was a dealer and Ricepoint problem and I said NO These organizations REPRESENT You, FIX IT! So we will see if it gets me anywhere ..... probably not! But all I can do is try! Steve

craigtdi

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Thanks for the reply. It is crazy that the VW emissions info Canada website says that the fix is available yet the dealers and VW Canada seem to know nothing about it. There is a recall out for our cars for the emission fix but not sure if it is the same as the fix for the settlement. I will keep this forum posted if I get any new information as well. Very frustrated, this should be simple.

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
Thanks for the reply. It is crazy that the VW emissions info Canada website says that the fix is available yet the dealers and VW Canada seem to know nothing about it. There is a recall out for our cars for the emission fix but not sure if it is the same as the fix for the settlement. I will keep this forum posted if I get any new information as well. Very frustrated, this should be simple.

Yes to delve further into it when I call VW and give them my VIN # they are able to pull up recalls and tell me IT DEFINITELY IS A SOFTWARE ONLY FIX! This is why I'm frustrated ricepoint and the dealerships don't seem to know/care what the fix is. This is I filed a complaint with the parent company .... VW FIX IT. It would be nice if all these people were on the same page. I do not respect the disorganization and am loosing confidence in VW.

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
I've booke my appointment for the emissions fix.

I called ricepoint again today and they said a recall letter has been issued but I have not received it yet. I called my dealer In Orillia Ont and they have booked me in for the emissions fix and there are 2 other new recalls to be done as well. One for the air intake snow flap I believe and the other for a heat shield.

When I asked them this time what the emissions fix is they said it is just software for now but there may be a new DPF later.

I have one other issue, the CEL coming on intermittently for the NOX sensor which I expect will be on my nickel (1500$) and that has to be done before the recall can be done. So I'll have to spend 1500$ to get my 2650$ and the extended warrantee. Kind of burns my ass because the nox sensor is a known issue with it sooting up. I had a go at removing it but did not want to bugger it up so will leave that to the mechanic. I expect you will have a letter issued too for your car.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I started the process in May. In June I spoke to someone in charge of the thing who happened to be at the dealer of my choice.

Through him I was able to take my car in for the Phase 1 fix on June 24th at 9:00am. Process to do the software update and an oil/filter change about 90 minutes.

On the claims website when you get all the choices of what buttons to push it says that you can expect to be paid within 2 weeks of getting the software done.

Well it has been 4 weeks now and no cheque. Called today and got the runaround for a while until I got one person who may have been more savvy. I was told that the approval for a cheque was given on July 13th. I was asked to hang on for a little longer it is on it's way.:rolleyes:

I'm no expert, but as far as I know it's only the 2015's that get a Phase 2 done which consists of a lot of exhaust system removal and new install for as long as 9 hours. When that is being done I will get a free loaner vehicle.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I was asked specifically when I went in to our local dealer today to get some recalls done whether I wanted the fix done. I declined, stating we would be turning the car in next year.

RandomGuy

TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
Anyone with a manual still holding out hope for a fix or is the general consensus that it ain't coming? Really frustrating........

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
To me, the 'general consensus' is that *all* the fixes are coming. It's not rocket science, after all . . . the testing cycle just takes time (and there is *zero* urgency to act at this time) . . . so be patient!

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
Dpf

I started the process in May. In June I spoke to someone in charge of the thing who happened to be at the dealer of my choice.
Through him I was able to take my car in for the Phase 1 fix on June 24th at 9:00am. Process to do the software update and an oil/filter change about 90 minutes.
On the claims website when you get all the choices of what buttons to push it says that you can expect to be paid within 2 weeks of getting the software done.
Well it has been 4 weeks now and no cheque. Called today and got the runaround for a while until I got one person who may have been more savvy. I was told that the approval for a cheque was given on July 13th. I was asked to hang on for a little longer it is on it's way.:rolleyes:

I'm no expert, but as far as I know it's only the 2015's that get a Phase 2 done which consists of a lot of exhaust system removal and new install for as long as 9 hours. When that is being done I will get a free loaner vehicle.

Ok that makes more sense to me .... of coarse the 2015s get a new DPF and catalyst etc. So that is what they are saying not knowing it is a different standard for 2015s. I get it. Thanks and hope you get your cheque soon.
Re my nox sensor I cleared it by towing a trailer and driving the car hard. Ie hard acceleration. As near as I can tell putting the engine under a higher load burns the carbon off the nox sensor. Methinks that VW is putting more efficient DPF's on the 2015's BECAUSE in real world they aren't really up to the task. I have read MULTIPLE posts on carbon fouled nox sensors on older Passat's (mine is a 2012). DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual since 09/28/12-04/05/18, 2015 Passat TDI SE Manual Since 03/29/2018
Latest announcement about Gen 2 fix does not include "Manual" Passat? Waiting to replace tires!!

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Likely just needed a tweak and another run through the test cycle, which can be time consuming . . . Give it time - they have gotten all others through, and this should be easier than a Gen-1 . . .

BCPassat

TDI
2013 Passat.
Latest announcement about Gen 2 fix does not include "Manual" Passat? Waiting to replace tires!!
I was in the same boat this spring and took the plunge to replace tires, and timing belt (190,000+-km).
My opinion is that either there will be a fix for the Gen 2 6M, or not and a sweetened buyout/restitution.
Remember that we become free agents so to speak June 2018. If no fix, we have the ability to opt out.

My hope is a fix, $$ and keep driving the same car that does all I need it to do.

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
Got the fix done a couple of weeks ago. Noticed it was noisier on startup and at idle and it shifts a little later. Not really a big deal. As far as I can tell from my 95% highway drive cycle mileage should be my usual 1200- 1300km per 65 litre fill which usually works out to 5.1 litres per 100km (mfi data is usually more optimistic) it might be a little fatter based on what I see in the mfi data. I'll report on adblue usage after I drive 15000km (I filled the tank before the fix) usual adblue is 8.5-11 litres per 15,000 km service interval. I'm expecting it to be a bit fatter but hope the 17 litre tank will go 15,000 km. I do notice a stumble when I do a rolling stop at a stop sign, seems like the engine almost stalls. I'm thinking the software needs refining. I dont like that and another member has commented to me he has the same problem.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
I am interested in finding a 2012 Passat TDI manual for a reasonable price as an replacement for my 1999.5 Jetta, but this appears to be the only one yet to have an approved fix. Any idea how much longer VW will take to get this fix approved?

Dave

DASH

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI / 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I am interested in finding a 2012 Passat TDI manual for a reasonable price as an replacement for my 1999.5 Jetta, but this appears to be the only one yet to have an approved fix. Any idea how much longer VW will take to get this fix approved?

Dave
No one knows just yet... but smart money is on repaired TDIs being available in a few months (from dealers and or private sales)

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual

Dave
I wish you luck! I have a 2012 manual Passat and I freaking love it!:D

I purchased mine in 2014 with 35K on the clock and currently have 117K. Though it has had a few issues, that thankfully, were covered under the extended warranty/recalls. Can't remember all the issues but it through the mil because of a p203b fault which was covered. The plastic oil filter housing cracked and needed to be replaced too, which wasn't covered.

My previous car was an '02 Audi A6 which required an unbelievable amount maintenance, so comparatively the Passat wasn't too bad, but compare it to Honda or Toyota and it required a lot.

I will be turning in my car in the next couple of weeks for the buyback :(. I had planned to keep it but I have a second vehicle that is paid off and my financial situation has changed, and this is too good of a deal to pass up.

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI

Dave

I've been waiting to hear back regarding the fix too for my '12 6SpM. I just past 122k on the clock and running perfect. I've been using AMSOIL Diesel Injector Fluid, about 4-5oz per tank and amazed at highway mpg. My only pet peeve are the accumulated micro chips on the Hood.

RandomGuy

TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
Does anyone know what the drop dead date is for the 6M fix being announced? Just wondering if that's coming up soon or if we could be left wondering until midnight on 12/31/18.

doug022984

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE M/T
I chatted with a representative about this a month or so ago through the VW claims portal and the response I received is that VW has until May 1, 2018 to have an approved emissions modification. Then we as customers have until September 1, 2018 to submit a claim to receive the settlement benefits (either emissions fix or buyback). Your claim obviously doesn't have to be fulfilled by Sept 1st, but you have to have paperwork submitted for your intentions to claim the settlement by then otherwise you forfeit the opportunity to claim the settlement benefits.

DASH

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI / 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I had my 2012 Passat "fixed" yesterday and I do notice a harder shift and holding gear longer. No additional noise to report as of yet. I should be through this tank in about a week and will report back about fuel economy.