2.0 Gen 1 fix approved

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
These post-fix MPG ratings are pretty dismal. I bet when they talk about a 2 MPG drop in fuel economy, they mean 2 MPG drop from the original sticker MPG stats, not the cheated MPG which is better than advertised. The post-fix MPG states are treading into gas territory!
From the 2nd amended concent decree section 3.1.5, the fuel economy impact are compared between:
-A: Before the emission modification, without the 23O6 reflash, and not in cheat (dyno) mode
-B: After the emission modification

2nd amended concent decree said:
3.1.5 Specify the fuel economy and emissions impacts of the Proposed Emissions Modification. Settling Defendants must measure, and provide to EPA nd CARB, the fuel economy and emissions impacts of the Proposed Emissions odification by using the FTP, US06, SC03, HWFET, and 20°F FTP test cycles, ased on A-to-B testing that compares (A) vehicles without the 2014 Reflash and with the Road Mode Calibration active and operative during the batch of est cycles with (B ) vehicles to which Settling Defendants have applied the roposed Emissions Modification.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
sure they are, as long as you dont remove or modify any emissions related components its entirely legal.. you are legally allowed to modify your vehicles otherwise.
Check again! Anything that mpdifies the fueling maps in any way that wss not in the EPA certification is a violation, whether you remove anything or not . . . Different mixtures == different emissions == violations!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There's a difference between being legal and getting caught. VW has learned that. Tunes aren't legal, but with emissions hardware and its operation in place I don't think there's a state inspection process that would detect the tune.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Also true. There is about as much enforcement against non factory tunes as there is for mattress tag removal. For good reason, imo.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
sure they are, as long as you dont remove or modify any emissions related components its entirely legal.. you are legally allowed to modify your vehicles otherwise.

This is true, but the engine control computer and the software which runs there are emission control components.

so it is fine to add a different radio, update lighting, tint the windows, put a rack on the roof, install eyelashes on the headlights, whatever, (there may be state safety laws to keep in mind)

changing any software on the computer that runs the engine is a violation of the clear air act, as amended.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
I live in California, so getting a tune and straight pipe is not really a legal option for me. As it stands now, not accepting the fix and continuing to drive the car with it's current software is a legal option for me.
Since the warranty is not as long-term as the life of the car, I'm thinking beyond the warranty. After the $5100 and warranty are long gone, will I be happy with the car??? Or will I be more satisfied with the car with it's cheat-software and CP3???
I'm in a somewhat similar situation here in Florida, but with the exception of no emission testing and the government doesn't care (a significant difference).
Given the negative feedback on performance and mileage impacts of the "fix", it seems to me there are only three options. 1) opt out of the settlement and keep on driving the car till the end of its life or mine, 2) take the "fix" + $6K, then fix the "fix" (new chip + strait pipe + maybe muffler), 3) buyback at end of '18 (my present choice) + $23K.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
There is about as much enforcement against non factory tunes as there is for mattress tag removal.
Try reading the tag--it's not to be removed except by the end-user. So you can remove your mattress tags all you want, but the manufacturer and retailer can't. Not sure why so many people get this wrong when it's written on the tag itself.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Try reading the tag--it's not to be removed except by the end-user. So you can remove your mattress tags all you want, but the manufacturer and retailer can't. Not sure why so many people get this wrong when it's written on the tag itself.
I never said anything about the end user :) . Bottom line- nobody cares.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I never said anything about the end user :) . Bottom line- nobody cares.
Actually, yes, they do. It's a consumer protection thing--the label has to be present so the customer knows what they're getting. A similar issue got some bridal shops in trouble not too long ago--they were removing tags from dresses they had on display, as customers were trying them on and taking advantage of their employees' help, and then heading over to David's Bridal to buy them for much less. The shops apparently figured that if the customers didn't know what they were trying on, they wouldn't be able to cross-shop as effectively. The FTC shut that down as well.

Under the last administration, the EPA was talking about regulating "off-road" or "race" products, which would clamp down on (and possibly even eliminate) availability of most emissions-related mods. They haven't said anything about that under the current administration, but I think it'd be a mistake to believe the interest isn't there.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually, yes, they do. It's a consumer protection thing--the label has to be present so the customer knows what they're getting. A similar issue got some bridal shops in trouble not too long ago--they were removing tags from dresses they had on display, as customers were trying them on and taking advantage of their employees' help, and then heading over to David's Bridal to buy them for much less. The shops apparently figured that if the customers didn't know what they were trying on, they wouldn't be able to cross-shop as effectively. The FTC shut that down as well.

Under the last administration, the EPA was talking about regulating "off-road" or "race" products, which would clamp down on (and possibly even eliminate) availability of most emissions-related mods. They haven't said anything about that under the current administration, but I think it'd be a mistake to believe the interest isn't there.
Well, I'm not tune averse. Or trying on dresses. Good luck!

LovetheSnarl

TDI
2014 VW Golf TDI
What's the Gen 1 fix news from the UK?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the TDIClub :) and wanted to ask you all a question. I've seen the news about the Gen 1 emissions modification on offer here in the US, and I'm thinking of getting the fix for my 2014 Golf TDI automatic, which I love. However, it seems like the news from Britain is that VW owners who have gotten the same fix on their 2.0 TDIs are having lots of problems with their cars. In short, Gen 1 owners, what does the news from Britain tell us about the wisdom of taking the fix?

Thanks! Stephen

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Little to nothing. The fix over there is completely different than the ones we are getting.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think the best bet is to wait and see what other gen 1 owners here report after getting the fix. It should just be a matter of weeks.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
I am curious. If you buy a NEW leftover 2014 model gen 1.. where does that out you in terms of payouts, restitution etc...

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
There's a difference between being legal and getting caught. VW has learned that. Tunes aren't legal, but with emissions hardware and its operation in place I don't think there's a state inspection process that would detect the tune.
Hmmm . . . I thought that I had read somewhere that some states test gear checksum compared the ECU, so could flag variances . . . can't confirm though . . . I might be dreaming. The key thing is that the legality of something has exactly *nothing* to do with the risk of being caught . . . . just the amount of risk the one committing the crime is willing to take . . .

Last edited:

beetlemania

TDI
2002, 2010, 2013
The BS just doesnt end with VW, one misstep after another. I got an email Mon 7/31 and it clear states this below:

"If you have already received and accepted an offer letter for an Approved Emissions Modification and your signed offer letter has been accepted by Volkswagen, you may now schedule your appointment for an Approved Emissions Modification directly with your preferred dealership."

Having had a "Settlement Package Complete" status for months now, I called my local VW dealer only to be told that my car is "NOT in the in the system yet" and I was told to call VW corporate offices (again).

Soooo I call them and they say that the fix will not be ready until 8/15, the same day my kid takes the car back to college :mad: So annoyed, why cannot they get their act together?

Has anyone else had a different experience?

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Yeah, we've all seen that in the letter too....and while there are a couple of reports here of some dealership scheduling appointments before their parts allotments, most aren't. I called on Monday and was told to call back this afternoon, which I intend to do.

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
It could be that they found in their durability testing of the fix that the dsg cars were harder on the emissions equipment. Or it could be that they found that the dsg cars in general need more $ in warranty repairs of the systems covered by the extended warranty. Or like you said, it could be to defray some of the added cost of fixing the dsg cars due to the reprogramming of the dsg ecu.

Yeah, that's what I was saying in post 121. My best guess is they know this new programming isn't going to be healthy on the car long-term...

I was going to wait on modding the car for a while because of the warranty....but I think I will stick with Plan A and convert it to a 'ye ol diesel car when they get done with it, like I did my older 05.5. I plan to drive this thing to at least 600K+.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
I am curious. If you buy a NEW leftover 2014 model gen 1.. where does that out you in terms of payouts, restitution etc...
They'll be fixed before being sold, so I assume the buyer/owner gets nothing, but a warranty.

I believe they will be sold for an insane price, also.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The dealership where I bought my golf had a new leftover '14 jetta tdi on the lot last year. It may still be there.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Hmmm . . . I thought that I had read somewhere that some states test gear checksum compared the ECU, so could flag variances . . . can't confirm though . . . I might be dreaming. The key thing is that the legality of something has exactly *nothing* to do with the risk of being caught . . . . just the amount of risk the one committing the crime is willing to take . . .
I suppose it's possible, but since VW can't even do this on a consistent basis I doubt a state agency can. Besides, how would they know what's correct?