TDI's: A Hot Commodity

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
music to my ears. I bought a used BB '15 Passat SE 6MT with 8K miles - somehow still has that new car smell.

Loving it, my '12 6MT going back :(

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Typical research-free blog article. Talked to dealers in Oregon and CA, two of the hottest markets for TDIs. And there are still '15s on lots two months after they were released for sale.

I love TDIs, but I don't think they're a hot commodity, except among the few of us who really want them.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
There seems to be a lot of regional variation- I live in rural Minnesota 70 miles from the nearest city of over 100,000 and TDIs have always been popular with the many long distance commuters. Thus the VW dealer nearest me in Sioux Falls sold all their TDIs in just a couple days, and the dealer I bought mine from in Mankato was pretty well sold out in less than a week.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
There is a very large banner sign in front of the VW dealer a mile from my house advertising 2015 TDI's for sale. It's been there for a while. I don't know what's in inventory but the sign has been up for a good while. Most everybody I know that had a CR turned them in for the cash, including me.

This area is Large Truck, Mercedes and BMW country so VW has had a hard time selling cars.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
I wonder what kind of response I'd get to THIS ad: 2014 JSW for sale, 82K miles. Was in excellent condition till it got clobbered on Nov. 25 last year. Engine runs. Needs passenger side airbags, roof liner, rear bumper and axle. Chassis is sprung. Don't know if sunroof works. VW won't buy it back. Salvage title. Asking $15K (buyback value before the accident was $27K and change.)

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
music to my ears. I bought a used BB '15 Passat SE 6MT with 8K miles - somehow still has that new car smell.

Loving it, my '12 6MT going back :(
If you don't mind saying, what did that cost you? Thinking about a similar move on a manual Passat... but maybe one with higher miles. My 2012 clutch failed at 110,000 miles, best to sell it back to VW, but no test drives are winning me over yet.

John Kuhn

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 red JSW TDI base model
There is no such thing as '15 JSW. '14 JSW was replaced by '15 GSW. They're all the same anyway except nameplate.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
There is no such thing as '15 JSW. '14 JSW was replaced by '15 GSW. They're all the same anyway except nameplate.
Ok, thank you for that simple explanation. I thought the JSW was a Jetta, and the GSW is a Golf. I thought the Golf was a smaller car.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Hot commodity? This beauty had been advertised here for 6 weeks no one seems to want it the advertised price is at or near Blue Book and it is a stick...with nearly every available option....

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
I noticed that the article described having to add DEF was "a sour note". Why? You will likely add more windshield washer fluid than DEF, yet who whines about adding washer fluid?!

Motodude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 q7tdi. 2012 q7tdi
Im in san diego and I have seen the same ads up for the same cars for weeks. Plenty of them in san diego and palm springs.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Remember it's only rare and desirable when YOU don't have it.. otherwise, they're a dime a dozen

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Remember it's only rare and desirable when YOU don't have it.. otherwise, they're a dime a dozen
This is another candidate for a sticky. There appears to be an inescapable human tendency to mistakenly attribute one's own wants and desires to the rest of the human race. Most people in this country not only don't drive diesels, they're only peripherally aware of them. The only person in our rather large extended family who had ever heard of Dieselgate was one of our sons— who happened to have had one of the affected TDIs, which he has since turned in.

John Kuhn

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 red JSW TDI base model
Ok, thank you for that simple explanation. I thought the JSW was a Jetta, and the GSW is a Golf. I thought the Golf was a smaller car.
For years the Jetta was the sedan version of a Golf, with a different grill and a trunk added, which stuck out a foot or so beyond the hatchback length. The wagon has the same rear overhang as the sedan, hence the larger cargo area. The currrent generation seven Jetta does not share quite as many elements with the Golf, but is still the same basic size category, unlike the Passat which is the next size up.

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M RIP, 2015 GSW SE TDI 6M, 2015 Q7 TDI
A Jetta is a Jetta, smallish sedan. A Golf is a Golf, smallish hatchback, 2 or 4 doors. A Golf Sportwagon (GSW, previously JSW) is a smallish wagon with 4 doors, longer than a standard Golf.

Traditionally, they were all on the same platform, just different bodies. I believe the current Jetta is slightly different.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
How come I'm hearing little or nothing about 2015 JSWs. All the talk seems to be about GSWs.
Keep in mind that the Jetta Sportwagen was Mk6 platform while the Golf Sportwagen is Mk7 platform riding on the MQB chassis and with a 3rd gen EA288 engine with DEF.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Both Jetta and Golfs (Hatch and Sportwagen) have EA288 engines in 2015. But the Jetta Sedan is an older platform. MKVI, not MKVII.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Hot commodity? This beauty had been advertised here for 6 weeks no one seems to want it the advertised price is at or near Blue Book and it is a stick...with nearly every available option....
Maybe Jack is interested in it...oh, wait, he just bought a Chevrolet. :eek:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Typical research-free blog article. Talked to dealers in Oregon and CA, two of the hottest markets for TDIs. And there are still '15s on lots two months after they were released for sale.
I love TDIs, but I don't think they're a hot commodity, except among the few of us who really want them.
Odd thing about supply and demand

Ratio ~~ matters not the gross numbers:rolleyes:

If 20 buyers want something, and there is only (say) 15 units the price will be strong.

Particularly as we see folks driving (flying) hundreds of miles to get one.

Then we see cars being "shipped" for only (say) $1.25 per miles.

Flip side is equally true ~~ 20 buyers with 25 units available, and the price drops like a stone:eek:

My prediction is: as time (and miles on the existing units goes forward) There will be more buyers, than cars (in the future)

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Maybe Jack is interested in it...oh, wait, he just bought a Chevrolet. :eek:
Now that is funny.....I tried to buy several of Jacks cars. He wouldn't sell to me because I was offering what they were worth.....probably with Jack is his driving style is not good for these cars.....

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Now that is funny.....I tried to buy several of Jacks cars. He wouldn't sell to me because I was offering what they were worth....
Not knowing who Jack is

Me thinks he is selling with the biggest fool theory in mind. You are no fool!

For every car, there is a possibility of a few-many- even hundreds of possible buyers.

IF Jack has a truly fine car, and he shows it well, it should bring a "good" price. But the biggest fool principle is still in play

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There seems to be a lot of regional variation- I live in rural Minnesota 70 miles from the nearest city of over 100,000 and TDIs have always been popular with the many long distance commuters. Thus the VW dealer nearest me in Sioux Falls sold all their TDIs in just a couple days, and the dealer I bought mine from in Mankato was pretty well sold out in less than a week.
Agreed on regional issues.

Both coast(s) seem to be higher than the fly over states on my CARS.COM search.

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Keep in mind that the Jetta Sportwagen was Mk6 platform while the Golf Sportwagen is Mk7 platform riding on the MQB chassis and with a 3rd gen EA288 engine with DEF.
Actually, JSWs are MK5s with a few mk6 electronics added in 2010.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Now that is funny.....I tried to buy several of Jacks cars. He wouldn't sell to me because I was offering what they were worth.....probably with Jack is his driving style is not good for these cars.....
Jack has offered me three of his cars, and I did buy one. Actually in the case of the B4 his driving style was good for it. I say it had the longest break-in in history. Runs great at 283K miles.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I see tons of price drops on the wagon cars for sale at dealers. For the used 2015 cars
Not doubting your observations.

Then it will show up in the NADA ~~ KBB ~~ Black book.

My particular car (2015 Golf DSL S Hatch) is holding up ... so far