New 2015 golf Tdi SE test drive

Capt. Common Rail

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI. DSG turned in ,2014 Passat Tdi se,2015 golf sel dsg
Headed out this morning to test drive a new 2015 golf Tdi. After the test drive I
Have to say I was disappointed. It felt underpowered no feeling of the torque I remember from my 2010 jettas.I've been driving my daughters 2017 Golf Tsi
since she is away at school. Maybe that's not a fair comparison the Golf Tsi is
So much faster and more fun to drive. Did the fix neuter the cars that much or
was the one I drove just not running right.Thanks for any comments

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If the car has very low mileage (under 500 miles) it won't make the power it will once it starts to break in. That said, I feel the engine has a flat spot on tip-in, then it pulls well. Similar to how I recall my '12 Golf behaved. I'm looking forward to getting my '15 tuned. I'm betting it will help a lot. And in its current form I'm seeing 46+ MPG on the MFI. Bet the TSI isn't doing that.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I find it has two personalities. If you're gentle on the gas it feels pretty sluggish. But if you give it the beans from a get go it's got some grunt.

It's definitely not a fast car though but I love the way it just wafts you along.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
The TSI has enough low end torque to hold its own - you were likely used to it, and didn't see the difference you remembered. Drive a an older Civic for a while, then come back ;)
I recently sold my 2000 Civic HX - when you floored it, the rpms went up, speed went up very slowly, and there was no feeling of acceleration. Cheap commuter, though, and pulled 40 mpg.

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI (Canadian Import) 5 Speed, 2015 Golf TDI SE DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI SE (connectivity) DSG
Difference is that TSI swill most likely show a few CELs through the first 150k, been there done that- never again... oh and the gas mileage isn't comparable for long high mileage commuters

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Difference is that TSI swill most likely show a few CELs through the first 150k, been there done that- never again... oh and the gas mileage isn't comparable for long high mileage commuters
and TDIs are known for not needing multi-thousand dollar repairs?

This is a new generation engine, both the TDI and TSI that are offered now. Don't let past, unrelated issues, cloud your current judgement. If that were the case, I would never have bought a new VW (gas or diesel) - way too many horror stories online.

Capt. Common Rail

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe another test drive is warranted,I could try another dealer and keep an open mind.
It seems most owners of fixed cars don't see any performance differences .

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf S TDI 6-speed, 2017 Tiguan Limited, 2015 Golf R DSG/DCC/NAV.
Maybe another test drive is warranted,I could try another dealer and keep an open mind.
It seems most owners of fixed cars don't see any performance differences .
Our opinion is yes, make another test drive!
Our 'first fix' 2015 Golf S TDI 6-speed with 11k miles on it has always been strong and still is with the initial fix. Only performance problem we had were the factory shocks which we changed in the first two weeks to Bilstein HD B6 units, to greatly improve road handling performance. It's otherwise a great vehicle in our experience with VW Golf diesels for the past 20+ years. And we greatly enjoy our 2015 Colf 'R' DSG too. Both perform at levels superior to other brand configurations we've spent some significant time road testing over the years.
FWIW,
-Rod

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI (Canadian Import) 5 Speed, 2015 Golf TDI SE DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI SE (connectivity) DSG
This is a new generation engine, both the TDI and TSI that are offered now. Don't let past, unrelated issues, cloud your current judgement. If that were the case, I would never have bought a new VW (gas or diesel) - way too many horror stories online.
Gasser engines in general just don't last like a diesel, just the way it is. I'm more confident in a new generation diesel than a new generation gasser- look at Hyundai for example, recalled what? 1.2 million engines up to 2014? I'm not saying it's not a good car, but I certainly wouldn't expect to get 300k out of it like my previous diesels.

Capt. Common Rail

Veteran Member
TDI
Tone star just wondering,did you buy your 2015 Tdi fixed,or did you have it fixed.Thought you might be able to shed some light on performance before and after fix.I would like to buy a 2015 golf SE dsg,just want to make a informed decision. Thanks

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Given that both the EA288 and 1.8T engines are fairly new, we don't really have good data to compare reliability or durability. And which "performs" better is a matter of preference. Fuel economy is another matter: I think the 1.8T would be hard pressed to match, much less exceed, TDI economy numbers in any conditions.

arcaidy

TDI
2015 GSW
I test drove a 2017 Golf TSI manual when I was looking. Right after that I drove the GSW TDI DSG when I learned about the discounts. I bought The GSW. With the TSI I felt I was hunting for gears to often. For me the TDI was fantastic off the line and in to 3rd. It feels like it runs out of steam compared to the TSI as you keep in it. That should be expected though...
My car had 900 miles on it when purchased. It was driven much more than the other "new" 2015's I have seen. I found that to be a positive.

Other than the hesitation from start I felt the GSW was a much better driver in normal traffic. Seat of the pants told me it was quicker into 3rd gear. I suspect the TSI would pull away but look at what we're talking about... Traction control kicks in nearly every time I get it on to much.

I don't care for sport mode like some others. Feel like its keeps the RPM's to high.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I bought mine in Feb 2015 (pre-scandal) and got 1st stage fix done on it about 2 weeks after it was offered. No significant change in driving on a car with 25-27000 miles on it at the time. OTOH - the car has done better the more miles put on it in general (just like most TDI's). If you want the 2015 - get it - you won't be sorry. If I had the resources, I'd get another one.

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI
Tone star just wondering,did you buy your 2015 Tdi fixed,or did you have it fixed.Thought you might be able to shed some light on performance before and after fix.I would like to buy a 2015 golf SE dsg,just want to make a informed decision. Thanks
My fiancé has her 2015 still unfixed, I drive both during the week. I actually find that the fixed version has a bit more "pep" off the line, but that's just me. In my opinion, if you have a chance to get your hands on a "new" 2015 for the 5k off and 0% financing I would jump on it at this point. Considering most manufacturers are moving away from Diesel engines, and you get basically a 150,000 unmatched anywhere warranty- go sign that paperwork and drive happy. Btw, the car only gets better after the break in period- take if for a spin on the highway as well, that's where she really shines over the gasser.

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI
And like scooper just said, If I had the resources to buy another one-you better damn believe there would be a 4th TDI in my driveway right now. I searched ALL brands for something similar and couldn't find anything even close to these cars in this price range.

Also, a point that hasn't been discussed is the resale value down the road. That gasser will continue to depreciate rapidly, the TDI not so much as we've seen with these cars over the years- I don't expect it to be different- I actually expect these 2015's to hold value better than any other model before it, simply because it's a one year only model.

GO SIGN AND DRIVE

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Also, a point that hasn't been discussed is the resale value down the road. That gasser will continue to depreciate rapidly, the TDI not so much as we've seen with these cars over the years.
You got that right. One of my co-workers is right now trying to sell his 1.8T Jetta. Nice car, runs great, cosmetically good, 177K on it. Worth about $1,200. A TDI with similar miles and condition would go for 3-4 times that.

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon, '15 Golf Sportwagen, '16 Touareg Lux
And like scooper just said, If I had the resources to buy another one-you better damn believe there would be a 4th TDI in my driveway right now.
GO SIGN AND DRIVE
That's exactly what I did. Damn you Volkswagen for making me send $130k to you in the last 18 months. I can afford any car made today and I chose to buy two 2015 GSW TDIs. There's nothing else out there like it. And I might even buy a third one. AND that's in addition to my '02 TDI Wagon 5MT. I think I have a sickness?
I find it has two personalities. If you're gentle on the gas it feels pretty sluggish. But if you give it the beans from a get go it's got some grunt.
What the tortoise just said-- my buddy bought a TDI sight unseen and never test drove one. He flew up to the SF Bay area to pick it up and during the test drive was like "meh" because he was just puttering around. Then later that evening I got a text from him "HOLY CRAP THIS CAR ROCKS" after he had a chance to take open it up a little on the freeway.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I chose to buy two 2015 GSW TDIs. There's nothing else out there like it. And I might even buy a third one. AND that's in addition to my '02 TDI Wagon 5MT. I think I have a sickness?
Yes, the same one I have. I have a '99.5 Golf that I just had completely refreshed, mechanically and cosmetically. And my '02 Wagon that's still going strong at 347K and is my daily driver. Added a 335d for "market research" and when the '15s came along I had to get one, because who knows if we'll ever see more? And my '93 300D and '97 Passat TDI are around somewhere too. Too many cars for one person. No doubt.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
The Achilles heal of the CR TDIs is probably the emission system (based on new "untested" modifications required by law if nothing else!). The new engine in MK7 may have other issues. We'll see. HPFP may no longer be a problem, though it might be wise to add a filter system (protect injectors, fuel lines, etc).

But if you adhere to the EPA mandated (and FREE) emissions system upgrades, you will at least have a LONG term FULL warantee on the emissions system.

After 11 years or 160k miles, you are on your own. The faint hearted need to buy a Civic, Mazda 3, or whatever.

Last edited:

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon, '15 Golf Sportwagen, '16 Touareg Lux
After 11 years or 160k miles, you are on your own. The faint hearted need to buy a Civic, Mazda 3, or whatever.
11 years is an unheard of epic warranty. If you get to the 11 year mark then you'll already be in the black from all the fuel savings and all the 271 lbft induced big grins.

Capt. Common Rail

Veteran Member
TDI
Did my 2nd test drive of a new golf Tdi SEI. I really want to like this car as I am a big Tdi fan.I go all the way back to owning a rabbit diesel.Loved my Jetta Tdis.
This 2015 fixed Tdi just doesn't feel right.Lower power and a hesitation between
shifts.The salesman says the mpg the cars are getting now is what's on the window sticker. That's really not much better than my daughters 2017 golf 1.8L
gasser.Which is a lot less money and really fun to drive.Thinking of waiting to
see what the Mazda cx 5 diesel is like .

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
We just did the "after" test drive of the '15 GSW 6MT that (she) had previously put a deposit on. The "fixed" version felt the same from the passenger seat, and my wife reported that all gears felt the same, with the exception that it had a bit more pep between 3-4-5.

As for the EPA MPG (not that the EPA testing cycle for diesels is accurate), the dealer had applied the new window sticker: same as the old window sticker. So, maybe your salesman was saying it changed for DSG? I expect to beat the EPA sticker in a TDI, and generally expect to have to work a little to meet it in a gasser.

Can't go wrong with another 1.8L Golf, but (for us) initial purchase price was what I would call a wash- and I expect the TCO for the TDI will be lower in the long run, which is what really matters. Of course, we were looking at an S and not an SEL, as the S was more appealing (minus heated seats).

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
Did my 2nd test drive of a new golf Tdi SEI. I really want to like this car as I am a big Tdi fan.I go all the way back to owning a rabbit diesel.Loved my Jetta Tdis.
This 2015 fixed Tdi just doesn't feel right.Lower power and a hesitation between
shifts.The salesman says the mpg the cars are getting now is what's on the window sticker. That's really not much better than my daughters 2017 golf 1.8L
gasser.Which is a lot less money and really fun to drive.Thinking of waiting to
see what the Mazda cx 5 diesel is like .
I felt the same way after the test drive. The GSW i drove was almost as bad as the Prius V i tested before these came out. With the GSW you do have the option to pop into Sport mode when you need it though.
I do think the milage difference is still significant compared to a gasser wagon and the extra $$$$ the Mazda will be has me still on the fence.
No Hybrid or other great milage car on the US market can fit what i fit into my JSW. GSW has significantly higher clearance under the car too.

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
We just did the "after" test drive of the '15 GSW 6MT that (she) had previously put a deposit on. The "fixed" version felt the same from the passenger seat, and my wife reported that all gears felt the same, with the exception that it had a bit more pep between 3-4-5.

As for the EPA MPG (not that the EPA testing cycle for diesels is accurate), the dealer had applied the new window sticker: same as the old window sticker. So, maybe your salesman was saying it changed for DSG? I expect to beat the EPA sticker in a TDI, and generally expect to have to work a little to meet it in a gasser.

Can't go wrong with another 1.8L Golf, but (for us) initial purchase price was what I would call a wash- and I expect the TCO for the TDI will be lower in the long run, which is what really matters. Of course, we were looking at an S and not an SEL, as the S was more appealing (minus heated seats).
Agree with what you say here about the EPA MPG. What is TCO? Thanks.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
$20,000/200,000 miles = $.10/mile. (Based on a GSW S/6MT). They are a lot of car for the depreciable cost or cost/mile.

Not quite as good as my old '74 Pinto wagon, $1,900 new/274K miles when sold for $300. That was cheap, reliable transportation.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Also, a point that hasn't been discussed is the resale value down the road. That gasser will continue to depreciate rapidly, the TDI not so much as we've seen with these cars over the years- I don't expect it to be different-

I actually expect these 2015's to hold value better than any other model before it, simply because it's a one year only model.

IMO, the '15 TDi will hold good resale numbers