Actual Purchases of 2015 Stop-Sale (NEW TDI's)

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
I wish I could get that lucky deal of invoice pricing plus the 5K rebate. Sheesh. They are selling too fast for any dealer to discount them at all. One dealer told me that there was a $1000 Loyalty rebate for TDI owners. When I asked them again they said that was part of the $5K rebate.
My HPFP on the 2010 hasn't been a problem yet and I'm at 107K mi. With my luck it will blow up right after the 120K mark and that extended warranty is up.

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
Oh and just for clarification on another item: Many months ago my dealer put me on a list of customers interested in the new 2015s they had in a port in Houston. There were over 200 of them. This week he says they only had 32 2015s. Does anyone know why they were forced to send those back instead of fixing/selling them like they are with the ones on their lots?

roberthaas

TDI
2011 Golf / 2015 TDI GSW
500 miles on my new 2015 SLE GSW since last Monday when I picked it up. 37MPG average (50/50 highway and street) I am extremely happy.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Oh and just for clarification on another item: Many months ago my dealer put me on a list of customers interested in the new 2015s they had in a port in Houston. There were over 200 of them. This week he says they only had 32 2015s. Does anyone know why they were forced to send those back instead of fixing/selling them like they are with the ones on their lots?
Who at your dealer said they went from 200 to 32. The owner? The General Manager? A salesman? The guy who moves cars around the lot?

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
How about showing us MPG since refuel? I'm guessing high 40s.

x2

Looking at his fuel gauge he has consumed a bit under 9 gallons (if he topped off the fuel tank) - so he is getting about 48mpg. Not bad- but a far, far cry from the computer estimated 62mpg.

Please hand calculate your mpg's, then (and only then) we'll get a better idea of the changes in fuel consumption from the fix.

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
We where onboard for a 16, GSW , TDI SEL, 6MT, Plat Gray/ Gray. When the ? hit the fan.
Started two weeks ago, called 20+ dealers. Looking good , waiting for Service Dept. They know I would rather have quality, than car in a hurry.
So another dealer calls me , says had a cancellation on color I would rather have than what I am getting . Same deal as everyone has posted here but plus $600. So I like a dummy asks what the extra is for . He says paint protection. I like a dummy ask what kind. He says when ? hit fan , dealer had all cars to be stored sprayed with paint protection. You get the idea, I ask what type, he mutters . I say I should get better deal than $5K off because car is so easy to detail for delivery because VW is paying you the dealer to conduct point check on car. Think he really Muttered after that. Me = Good Night , thanks for calling sir.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Picked up the 2015 last night, they didn't change the rotors, but said they did pads, the hats of the rotors look worse than the 2012, but I'll try and take a wire wheel to them when we change over to winters. I did have to request/demand they change the battery out. Got a set of Bridgestone potezas with a thick coating of tire polish with manufacture date of 2616, that's June 2016?, Oil looks sparkling clean but can't verify if they changed it as bottom filter, only 100 miles on the clock.

Any one want the stupid wheel locks they made us buy?

We now have a 2:1 VW to driver ratio, with a 3:4 diesel to gas ratio.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I originally thought they wouldn't sell as quickly but they sure as heck are moving
I was hoping they wouldn't move and I would have another month or more to convince the wife of the merits of giving up a 7 year old car with 108K miles on it for a two year old car with ~0 miles on it. Although I don't want a hole in the roof, it looks like that's the only way to keep the heated seats. My choices and getting closer to none.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
At this point I am thinking updated fresh 2018 Golf Sportswagen with 8" infotainment screen with apple/ android interface for the maps.

Watch what this guy avg mileage was on a TSI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cmfOP4ERkU
According to the following aggregated data from Fuelly.com here is your expected average MPG for the Jetta sedan gasoline vs diesel:

Model_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _Total Miles_ _ _ _Vehicles_ _ _ _MPG
VW Jetta (2015-16) 1.8L gas_ _ _553284_ _ _ _ _ _ _39_ _ _ _ _ _29.5
VW Jetta (2015) 2.0L diesel_ _ _ 1,618,238_ _ _ _ _ 83_ _ _ _ _ _ 41.7

Can the latest gasoline vehicle (non-hybrid) match or beat the MPG of an equivalent light duty diesel vehicle? Sure, IF you drive in certain way to make it happen. However, on the average, the efficiency gap between these two technologies has not decreased considerably in recent times.

Do the numbers with similar non-VW vehicles and you will get to the same conclusion (my opinion as I have not done the detailed calculations).

Last edited:

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I wonder if those numbers are slightly biased since a higher percentage of TDI drivers are doing mostly hwy miles?

raccy

TDI
2015 GSW TDI - Phase I fix
2015 gsw tdi se

As others have stated, I purchased my 2015 GSW SE for MSRP minus the $5K rebate, with 0% financing. Pretty good deal considering my buyback should be ~$19.6K for my 2011 JSW with 85K miles on it. The 2015 has 98 miles on it and will be ready in a week or so as there is a backlog of prepping (fuel filter, battery, tires, wiper blades) the 2015's for sale. I did not see any negative signs of storage (e.g., rust) other than the car was pretty dirty on the outside. While I was looking at the 2015 last Saturday, about 6 or 7 other buyers made purchases of 2015 GSWs so they seem to be moving fast. I was waiting for the 'fix' to the Gen 1's, but changed my mind once the 2015's were available again...

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I wonder if those numbers are slightly biased since a higher percentage of TDI drivers are doing mostly hwy miles?
Perhaps to a certain degree. On the other hand as you add the miles the Central Theorem comes into play and the comparison is more 'apples to apples' in my view.

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
I was hoping they wouldn't move and I would have another month or more to convince the wife of the merits of giving up a 7 year old car with 108K miles on it for a two year old car with ~0 miles on it.

Although I don't want a hole in the roof, it looks like that's the only way to keep the heated seats. My choices and getting closer to none.
I just bought a new 2015 Jetta TDI without the hole in the roof but with heated seats (also heated washer nozzles) so they are available (or were). Mine is the lower line model-no nav, no KESSY, steel wheels, cloth seats. My 2011 Jetta had alll the bells and whistles, but this was the last 2015 the Boise, ID dealer had left (others all had deposits on them). It was black on black which my wife wanted so I made the swap. The buyback amount for the 2011 was literally within a few dollars of the price for the 2015 with the $5,000 rebate. So for the cost of the sales tax and dealer fee I went from a 2011 with 94,000 miles to a 2015 with 120 miles. Best of all, I get to enjoy that lovely TDI engine!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
From what I've seen, the GSW S trim does not have the panoroof or heated seats. The SE has both.

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M RIP, 2015 GSW SE TDI 6M, 2015 Q7 TDI
Seems as though sales may be slowing a bit?
I think you may be right. 2 of the dealers I talked to about 2 weeks ago actually called me back this week to say cars that originally had deposits were now available again. Both SE Sportwagons. Had to break the news to them that I already bought one!

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I think you may be right. 2 of the dealers I talked to about 2 weeks ago actually called me back this week to say cars that originally had deposits were now available again. Both SE Sportwagons. Had to break the news to them that I already bought one!
Bits and pieces of info on my local dealer.

Originally had 6 TDi units 2 weeks ago. May still have 5 on hand.

mike92105

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI automatic 2015 Passat SEL
Bought a 2015 Passat SEL yesterday!

Not sure if the 2002 Jetta TDI will last much longer before needing major maintenance (time for a timing belt already). So I got a "new" Passat TDI, which has more leg room, with $5000 rebate another $1000 off for mileage and 0% financing for 72 months. Also added extended warranty plan 10 year 100K because I've had so many problems with my older Jetta TDI before it got to 100k.

saggii

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer - Jetta(s), A6
Not sure if the 2002 Jetta TDI will last much longer before needing major maintenance (time for a timing belt already). So I got a "new" Passat TDI, which has more leg room, with $5000 rebate another $1000 off for mileage and 0% financing for 72 months. Also added extended warranty plan 10 year 100K because I've had so many problems with my older Jetta TDI before it got to 100k.
Dude, cancel that extended warranty plan asap since you are already covered with the basic warranty + the "fix warranty " which pretty much covers everything until >100k miles. Just trying to save you some bucks.

arcaidy

TDI
2015 GSW
Purchased last weekend. Golf Sportwagen S DSG.
MSRP - $26,835.
Price Paid = $26,085
Lease discount - $8,500
Discounted price = $17,585
Taxes and charges + $3,100
Final Price = $20,685

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
The $5000 discount, was that considered a "rebate"? Reason I ask is I'm wondering if I'm supposed to pay sales tax on the rebate. My dealer messed up my paper work and I noticed my sales tax changed. I looked it up and it's true you do pay sales tax on rebates in WI. I think if it were a cash discount you don't pay sales tax on that.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I had to pay sales tax before the $8,500.00 discount.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
The $5000 discount, was that considered a "rebate"? Reason I ask is I'm wondering if I'm supposed to pay sales tax on the rebate. My dealer messed up my paper work and I noticed my sales tax changed. I looked it up and it's true you do pay sales tax on rebates in WI. I think if it were a cash discount you don't pay sales tax on that.
I paid tax on the 5000 "rebate" here in Ohio.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
It is a state-by-state rule as to whether you pay sales tax on rebates (also some states allow for a non-taxable "credit" equal to your trade-in). One online resource I found lists 21 states that do not tax the rebate; Wisconsin is not on that list. The $5,000 VW incentive is a rebate, so it's taxed, whereas any discount off MSRP negotiated with the dealer is generally non-taxed (can't say it's true in all 50 states; in CA this is the case).

In the states where manufacturer incentives are taxed, they are regarded the same as if you bought an appliance then mailed in a rebate form and later received a check -- you would have paid tax on the full amount at the store, despite the rebate ultimately decreasing your purchase amount.

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
Picked up a Golf 6MT SEL Silk Blue. Near impossible to find but I was determined. Called dealers through the entire northeast before finding one.

Last edited:

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
Finally (though not quite) home

Got the call yesterday that my Pure White GSW SEL was ready for delivery. It's been two weeks since I pulled the trigger, and finally I can pick it up.

Needless to say, I was quite underwhelmed today when I came to the dealer. Not only did they fail to detail the car or wash it in any manner, but they also failed to order and install the splash guards they agreed to throw in. To top it all off, this happened when I was inspecting the car:

• Battery died and couldnt start the car and had to jump start it for my test drive. Service tested the battery and said it was just low and needed to be recharged
  • Dealer used license plate screws that were too long and ended up gouging the rear hatch. Rather than have them paint the whole panel, I'd rather touch it up myself

• Dealer would only deliver 2015 maps that came with the car
  • The Roadside Assistance Kit, First Aid Kit, Car-go blocks, and Monster Mats that were on the Monroney sticker were nowhere to be found. We eventually got them just as we were about to leave.
According to the service writeup, they only changed oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and brake fluid. Dont know if they replaced the cabin filter, despite being instructed by VW to replace it. Tires still had xx15 date codes, but I didnt notice any abnormal noises during my test drive. Thankfully, there was no rodent damage or any other signs of premature corrosion. The paint was in horrible condition though, it collected lots of contamination and iron deposits from sitting outside for two years. Some of the plastic and faux chrome trim pieces were starting to discolor. Nothing that a good detail can fix though. The attitude of my dealer was frustrating, whenever I brought up an issue their response would be:

You have a 3-year, 36k warranty that will cover it.
Considering the deal I got for this car, I took the keys and drove away with 44 miles on the clock. Drove the car 4 blocks down the road to a detailer to clear bra the front (Xpel Ultimate) and Opti-coat the rest. Will need to come back another day to have the splash guards installed.

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Capt slow -- battery

I have a negative feeling about the battery

Respectfully, I feel it will go out, and you will need a new one.

Sitting "New" batteries are nutritiously unreliable

When-if it prematurely fails I hope the dealer will do good for you.

Case in point, my best friend, (HH) was on a role with Walmart. They had a 24-36(?) month free replacement warranty on their 5 year battery. His mother almost never drove her car. To the best of my memory, he got 2 (3?) free replacements on her car. Anyway, good luck.