Appears to be a Fix for Gen 1 cars! Gen 2-3 are Software.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The 16's in the lot should be ready for sale by the end of May.

Apparently there are a few Alltrack TDI's. One of my dealers has a few on the lot, already spoken for.
I haven't heard of any '16s available for sale. I'd be interested if there really are some.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Apparently there are a few Alltrack TDI's. One of my dealers has a few on the lot, already spoken for.
How can that be? Did you see for yourself? Sounds like typical dealer BS to me...Not saying it's not true, but I've never heard they made Alltrack TDIs for the US.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
This particular dealer I work with isn't near me, but they are in a area where an AWD would be highly desirable. He just returned from the dealer conference in Vegas. Expect a lot more EV in the next few years. He said he had seen the Alltrack TDI which had come just before the ban. He recently tried to put a deposit on one for himself but the few they had were spoken for.

Might be like the 1998 B5 Passat TDI. Only a handful made it before the ban...
I did call him back and appears I was in error with the '16 ...they are 15's...

Time will tell with that. :)

He gave me a lot of other info on the EV's too, most of it will be in a press release later. Good range and availability in the next few years of an all new model with excellent economics.

Sadly, as we have heard and all know, diesel is thoroughly dead. :(

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Dead for VW. Driving on the highway this morning I was passed by a BMW 328d, followed by a 535d. And Chevrolet is introducing two new diesels this year. I'm not holding my breath, but if the regs for 2019 or 2020 get postponed I think we'll see more diesels, not fewer.

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K

I don't buy it. Will gas then diesel begin phasing out over the next 20 years? Absolutely. There too many applications where EVs cannot cut the mustard. In the use case of commuting to/ from work, you cant go wrong with an EV. How about road tripping? How about people who drive alot for work? The post office/ FedEx/ ups? Trucking? Any business where you've gotta haul around equipment? How about when you've gotta move all of your to the next state over?

Without a doubt we'll see electric taking more or a market share, but to say "diesel is dead" it flat wrong.

How soon before the diesel-electric cars come out!?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Except I think you'll see diesel die before spark ignition.

Tailpipe emissions are easier to control on a naturally aspirated gasoline engine, evaporative emissions can now be effectively eliminated, thermal efficiency can be quite close to diesel, weight can be lower (critical for a range extender, where most of the time, it's being carried around as dead weight).

Long-haul trucking is the one industry that's least able to electrify, but there's rumblings of moves to spark ignition for emissions reasons, potentially to natural gas (which has tons of its own problems, but it is cheap and has low CO2 emissions relative to the energy produced from burning it, compared to either gasoline or diesel).

Everything between that and commuting, range extender engines will likely be the way that things go (and, I'm thinking more capability than something like what the i3 REx has - think more like the Volt formula than the i3 REx formula).

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
And my parents are picking up a loaded 2015 SE Sportwagen tomorrow. They were going to keep their 2012 JSW but now they can turn that in and drive off with the 15 for essentially no charge.

Never mind that they also drove the '12 for the last 3-years and only had $10k into it...

colezy9

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
Any info on status of 2.0 Gen2 fix and its approval? Think they will have one by June 15, 2018?

doc5339

TDI
2011 Audi A3 S-Line TDI
So there will be only one step if there is a approved fix for gen 1, and you don't need to wait a long time to get all the restitution money, right?

I am on the fence to sell my A3 back or keep it and get the fix. Need to know the decision, the sooner, the better.
We are likely keeping our 2011 A3 TDI, wondering if any A3 owners have initiated or had the "fix" completed?

I am somewhat unclear on what financial compensation comes with the "fix?"

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Nobody with a 2009-2014 car in the US or Canada has had the fix installed, because there is no such fix yet.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
We are likely keeping our 2011 A3 TDI, wondering if any A3 owners have initiated or had the "fix" completed?

The restitution piece of the settlement is the financial compensensation for the fix. For my 2010 JSW, it is capped at a minimum of $5200, which I will get when/if I let them do a fix. The buyback would be just over $14K.

doc5339

TDI
2011 Audi A3 S-Line TDI
The restitution piece of the settlement is the financial compensensation for the fix. For my 2010 JSW, it is capped at a minimum of $5200, which I will get when/if I let them do a fix. The buyback would be just over $14K.
Thanks

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Have you filed your claim online yet? Because if so, you shouldn't be unclear--the site spells out to the penny the compensation you'll receive.

doc5339

TDI
2011 Audi A3 S-Line TDI
Have you filed your claim online yet? Because if so, you shouldn't be unclear--the site spells out to the penny the compensation you'll receive.
We have had a claim pending since 20AUG16, though it appears we cant't prove (maybe we did not?) pay for the A3 before September 18, 2015, which would change things a bit. We were focused on the BuyBack, now looking at the fix to keep it.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
We have had a claim pending since 20AUG16, though it appears we cant't prove (maybe we did not?) pay for the A3 before September 18, 2015, which would change things a bit. We were focused on the BuyBack, now looking at the fix to keep it.
Why does the purchase timeframe matter? I thought in the US it didn't? In the Canadian version it does... but I thought in the US it was the sellers responsibility to tell the claims admin that the car was sold... if they didn't indicate they were sellers back in September, you shouldn't have to prove it either?

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M RIP, 2015 GSW SE TDI 6M, 2015 Q7 TDI
This particular dealer I work with isn't near me, but they are in a area where an AWD would be highly desirable. He just returned from the dealer conference in Vegas. Expect a lot more EV in the next few years. He said he had seen the Alltrack TDI which had come just before the ban. He recently tried to put a deposit on one for himself but the few they had were spoken for.

Might be like the 1998 B5 Passat TDI. Only a handful made it before the ban...
I did call him back and appears I was in error with the '16 ...they are 15's...

Time will tell with that. :)

He gave me a lot of other info on the EV's too, most of it will be in a press release later. Good range and availability in the next few years of an all new model with excellent economics.

Alltrack TDI's you say? From 2015? I call big time BS to that one! VW never applied for certification for the 2016 cars, don't think they will be doing that now. But I guess you never know...

loop7

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I drove one of the 2015 TDI wagons at a dealer and I didn't like the dash layout as much as I do my 2013. I'm not an "averse-to-change" person at all but I wasn't able to get the steering wheel adjusted to the point of seeing the speedo/tacho. There were some nice updated though.

I really like my car so I'm going to wait a bit longer with the hopes of a fix.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Didn't the crushing begin weeks ago? No surprise that they are starting with the oldest cars.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Now, that, there, is the REAL environmental disaster.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
It could easily mean that they don't think they can resell THOSE cars profitably.

After all, that particular pile of cars is 7-8 years old.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
higher mileage cars are not worth fixing, $$$-wise. Simply no money in selling a 6YO "CPO" with 50K+ on it.

Clearly EPA was more concerned about making record $$$ for the govt than really protecting the env.

"extorted $20B out of world's #1 car maker" looks mighty good on your resume

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
It could easily mean that they don't think they can resell THOSE cars profitably.

After all, that particular pile of cars is 7-8 years old.

As condition was no factor in the settlement, we will find a lot of junkers.

IMO, there will be only a few select units that are going to be profitable.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Given what VW paid for these cars none of them will be "profitable." However, there are only a subset of the cars that VW will be willing to sell with a warranty, I would guess.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Gimme a GSW S 6MT w 20K-30K miles on it , for $14K ca$h.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Well, I'm ignoring the settlement, as they had to pay that no matter what - it's a sunk cost.

However, if the costs of repairing, preparing for sale, selling, and supporting the vehicle are higher than the revenue from selling the vehicle, then they're going to crush the vehicle. Anything older or higher mileage will be an autocrush for that reason, due to the reduced revenue due to age and mileage.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
snip

However, if the costs of repairing, preparing for sale, selling, and supporting the vehicle are higher than the revenue from selling the vehicle, then they're going to crush the vehicle. Anything older or higher mileage will be an autocrush for that reason, due to the reduced revenue due to age and mileage.
Add condition to age and miles.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Well, I more meant that, regardless of condition, anything older or higher mileage will be crushed.

Then, newer lower mileage stuff, they'll consider condition, as it affects the costs of repairing and preparing for sale.