My fun experience trying to buy one of the remaining new tdis.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
So I call the dealer and verify the car is there. One car left. Ask them how they do trade in pricing and they tell me they should be able to get around NADA trade in values.

Start the 2 hour drive. 20minutes in the car I'm going to see gets sold to a employee. They saw someone was coming to look at it and bought it. So I figured I'd let value my trade and maybe go for a little higher model car.

After 45minutes of looking around and waiting. They came back at $7000 under nada trade in value. What the hell is wrong with vw dealers? We have tried many times over the years. 2010,2013,2015 and now in 2017. Multiple dealers. Different owners.

Told them no way on the trade in value and they came back $750 higher. How can you value a car at $15700 that blue books for $22000 in average condition. They sell on eBay for around $23000. I was expecting around 20 which I consider reasonable. Leaves room for profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
I've got a great dealer that's holding a '15 TDI for me, problem is with VW- They'll only let you have the $5k rebate if you finance or lease with them. Being retired with a modest pension and IRAs well into 6 figures I have no need for financing, and because I have such piddly paper income VW won't approve me for a loan. Now they're trying to talk me into a "high risk" loan, and I've about had it with VW for good!

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
I've got a great dealer that's holding a '15 TDI for me, problem is with VW- They'll only let you have the $5k rebate if you finance or lease with them. Being retired with a modest pension and IRAs well into 6 figures I have no need for financing, and because I have such piddly paper income VW won't approve me for a loan. Now they're trying to talk me into a "high risk" loan, and I've about had it with VW for good!
Why not offer 50 or 75% down payment and ask "how risky am I now?" ;)

Could you get the $5k off with a VW "high risk loan"?

If so, who cares what they call it, or the interest rate, you got the money to get their loan and quickly pay it off, screwing them out of most of their interest profit anyway. :)

MP517PRCT

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, 2011 Touareg TDI Lux
Start the 2 hour drive. 20minutes in the car I'm going to see gets sold to a employee. They saw someone was coming to look at it and bought it. So I figured I'd let value my trade and maybe go for a little higher model car.
I had a similar experience last week at York VW in York, PA.

My '09 JSW was in the shop for an ABS recall. When I dropped it off (4/7), I snapped a photo of the window sticker of a '15 GSW TDI SE. I inquired about it, but was told they already had a deposit on it. When I picked my JSW up on 4/12, I was told the depositer had backed out. I want heated seats but was told the car didn't have heated seats. I was dark out, I was in a hurry and didn't want to go around behind the building to check. On 4/14, I remembered that I had a photo of the window sticker. I checked and sure enough, I had heated seats. I headed to the dealership, put a deposit down on the car and then left. 5 minutes after I leave, I get a phone call from the salesperson, telling me that he didn't know at the time that they had a "back-up deposit" on that very same car! He needed me to come back to the dealership so that he could return my deposit.

No one offered to allow me to put a "back-up" deposit on any of the '15s before or after this incident! I know B.S. when I smell it! :mad:

Sounds to me like one of the employees wanted it, they decided it screw the customer!

Oh, well guess I'll do business with Sutliff VW or Faulkner VW from now on!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
I could pay for it cash...

Why not offer 50 or 75% down payment and ask "how risky am I now?" ;)

Could you get the $5k off with a VW "high risk loan"?

If so, who cares what they call it, or the interest rate, you got the money to get their loan and quickly pay it off, screwing them out of most of their interest profit anyway. :)
Looks like VW wants more finance customers to impress the stock markets with or more credit junkies or who knows what... Dealer has resubmitted the loan application to VW with an $8000 down payment. Reputedly the loan contract requires at least 3 payments before you can buy it out, and that's exactly my plan!

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Copy paste direct from the VW email i was forwarded. Apparently there is 2 different offers but most dealers wont touch the better one. Customer cash upto price is if you finance with VW at standard rates.

MY15 Golf TDI: 0% finance up to 60 Months + Up to $6,000 Finance Cash! OR
Customer Cash Up to $8,000

MY15 Sportwagen TDI: 0% finance up to 60 Months + Up to $6,000 Finance Cash! OR
Customer Cash Up to $8,000

MY15 Jetta TDI: 0% finance up to 60 Months + Up to $6,500 Finance Cash! OR
Customer Cash Up to $8,500

MY15 Passat TDI: 0% finance up to 60 Months + Up to $7,500 Finance Cash! OR
Customer Cash Up to $9,500

MY15 Beetle TDI: 0% finance up to 60 Months + Up to $6,000 Finance Cash! OR
Customer Cash Up to $7,700

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What are "finance cash" and "customer cash"? Quotes I've seen list any cash back as rebates.

IA DPE

TDI
2009 Jetta (sold back 08/18); 2014 Q5 (totaled 12/19😥); 2013 Dodge Cummins
Got approved by VW Finance at 11% interest just to get the rebate
Wow. 11%... I'd be in to pay that puppy off the very day you were eligible, and I've have a huge grin on my face when leaving.

VW seems to interact with customers begrudgingly.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the '15 Golf TDI, stuck with the loan...

Picked up the car thursday, 46 MPG so far! Managed to limit the 11% interest damages a bit by putting $8k down, they wouldn't allow any higher down payment. Dealer 'fessed up that I can pay off loan without penalty at any time, but tried to impress upon me that I should make payments for 6 months first "to build my credit rating". Like I'm gonna pay over $100 a month interest for any longer than I have to...