EPA Permits Sale of Inventoried TDIs

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Interesting. Not a huge surprise, I guess, but good to know--though the devil will be in the details, specifically whether both phases of the fix will need to be done first (I'd guess yes), or if there's a different fix regimen that will be used for these cars.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Bloomberg is saying software only for now, hardware later.

I wonder what carrot/stick was agreed to to get owners to return for the second step?

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
~12,000 new TDIs about to go on sale in the US! !!hurrah!!

about 67,000 diesels from the 2015 model, about 12,000 of which are currently in new car dealer inventory

~12,000 new TDIs about to go on sale in the US! !!hurrah!! with two years of pent up demand for new VW diesels these things will be picked up pretty fast...

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
about 67,000 diesels from the 2015 model, about 12,000 of which are currently in new car dealer inventory

~12,000 new TDIs about to go on sale in the US! !!hurrah!! with two years of pent up demand for new VW diesels these things will be picked up pretty fast...
Not sure why you've posted that on half a dozen threads now....?

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I posted it in all the threads I had in my favorites list that were related to emissions scandal to prevent more threads than the couple I found from being started....
wth? do you miss threadzila that badly? Go find some recreational cannabis and chill out... or go get a job that pays to spam.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
It would be nice if folks would check thread titles before posting duplicate threads. Happened to me twice last night alone.

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
I'd pick up a Manual SEL golf for the right price. No way I'm paying anywhere near MSRP, even if I could afford to.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I suspect that you won't be buying one for a while, then. I'd wager that the dealers are counting on the "huge pent-up demand" for these cars that is mentioned regularly here. So they'll be getting top dollar until everyone who's willing to pay that price has one.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I posted it in all the threads I had in my favorites list that were related to emissions scandal to prevent more threads than the couple I found from being started....

before I did this in a matter of a few minutes three threads with the exact same news showed up, after I put the news in all the favorites list I had, no more showed up.

Many are subscribed to these so will more quickly now get the news that these new TDI cars at the dealers will soon go on sale, and more than a few I know will want to be one of the first who show up buy one of these new cars....
We noticed. It wasn't helpful, as it just creates more clean-up work for us. Posting the same thing in 10 unrelated threads only serves to derail all of those threads into a new discussion about whatever you posted. Rather than doing that, keep the discussion in the appropriate thread (this one). We will clean up the duplicate threads as they appear - you don't need to worry about that.

Thanks,

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
I suspect that you won't be buying one for a while, then. I'd wager that the dealers are counting on the "huge pent-up demand" for these cars that is mentioned regularly here. So they'll be getting top dollar until everyone who's willing to pay that price has one.
I think you're giving the dealers more credit than they deserve. The 2 that I am speaking to right now are absolutely clueless about ANY of this and both think that the cars will be deeply discounted. They are sitting in back lots and in their way. They also tell me that nobody is really asking about them which makes me wonder if all the pent up hysteria to own one is based around the minority of enthusiasts who actually get online. Of course, only time will tell. I'm waiting for either of them to come back to me with a price, and if it's right, i'll have one that day.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I'd pick up a Manual SEL golf for the right price. No way I'm paying anywhere near MSRP, even if I could afford to.
But some people will, and it only demonstrates the depth of the crazy that they'll be paying sticker for a vehicle that will be three (3) model years old in about four months.....

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I would sell mine right now for the right amount of money......and it is fully optioned with a stick shift plus added goodies and it is red!

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
I called a couple places today. They didn't give me numbers, but they said there was some kind of meeting in Vegas this weekend where all will be revealed. One dealer told me they were also planning on selling their bought back inventory as well. The problem, I suspect, is that if there are any good deals to be had, hoarders will buy them up just to sell back. I want one to replace my 2001, so I can keep that for 16 years, but I'm not going to pay outrageous prices for one. I'm not even sure what one should go for at this point. 20k for a loaded SEL manual? Or is that a pipe dream?

Last edited:

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
I called a couple places today. They didn't give me numbers, but they said there was some kind of meeting in Vegas this weekend where all will be revealed. One dealer told me they were also planning on selling their bought back inventory as well. The problem, I suspect, is that if there are any good deals to be had, hoarders will buy them up just to sell back. I want one to replace my 2001, so I can keep that for 16 years, but I'm not going to pay outrageous prices for one. I'm not even sure what one should go for at this point. 20k for a loaded SEL manual? Or is that a pipe dream?
Personally, I would doubt if ones bought now from a dealer would be elidgable for buyback. I also didn't think the dealers were keeping any of the buybacks locally and they were all trucked away. Maybe somebody knows if they kept any 15s that were bought back at the dealer.

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I would imagine any 15's being sold as new or even used ones will have the first part of the fix and will be ineligible for buyback.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We obviously feel this is great news. But personally I'm past wanting a '15. My trusty ALHs are running great and the new to me 335d is far more car than a '15 TDI for less money. Still, if I were shopping I'd grab a 4 door Golf or GSW with a manual transmission. The '15s may be the last manual transmission diesels sold in the US, ever.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
We obviously feel this is great news. But personally I'm past wanting a '15. My trusty ALHs are running great and the new to me 335d is far more car than a '15 TDI for less money. Still, if I were shopping I'd grab a 4 door Golf or GSW with a manual transmission. The '15s may be the last manual transmission diesels sold in the US, ever.
You like the 335d? Please elaborate. I drove one and thought it was small and plastic feeling on the inside. I'm far from hating on BMW, as I now have a 530I, and it's my 6th BMW, so I'm curious as to why you find it superior. Maybe I need to give it a second look.

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
I was pretty jazzed on the 328D we picked up. I knew I would really miss the manual transmission, but other than that it checked all the boxes. I got one fairly well appointed.

The problem is the Fuel Economy. It's really nowhere near what I was hoping. For the rest of the academic year, we're local, so it's all in town driving. If I push it hard, it returns 24MPG. If I baby it, I can sometimes get 32MPG. That's 10 miles each way from home to work and childcare, so the engine is getting warmed up, even when it's below freezing outside.

I drive my golf the same way, and I'm getting at least 36MPG, and 42 if I try, which I don't normally do because it's more fun to punch it and stay under the speed limit. Highway, I used to get solid 50 MPG out of this car.

So yeah, I'd take a 2015 manual, no question. I know that on the highway, I could get 50 easy.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
We will have to see what the asking price and the actual selling price for a 2+ year old car that has been held in legal limbo.

Don't you wonder why Tomo is willing to sell his 2015 "for the right price"? Kind of tells me something about how happy he is with the car. Or he is just saying "everything has a price".

I kind of doubt these cars will be much of a bargain at retail price. Now, maybe we should look harder at what kind of a lease they offer, by way of seeing the anticipated resale hit dieselgate will have in the long time.

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, well Tomo has a Jetta, and I'm not interested anyway. And yeah, that did strike me as interesting.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
My plan will be to lease (first time ever). I'll probably trade in the 530i and lease a 2015 Passat sel. I drive 25k miles a year so a lease has never been my first choice, but it will offer me at least a little protection I think. I'm really curious to see what warranty they offer, and of course, the price has to be right. I will not pay retail for a nearly three year old car. I wish we could have gone one more year to get the much improved nav and stereo system. The rns510 was honestly pretty pathetic.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You like the 335d? Please elaborate. I drove one and thought it was small and plastic feeling on the inside. I'm far from hating on BMW, as I now have a 530I, and it's my 6th BMW, so I'm curious as to why you find it superior. Maybe I need to give it a second look.
It isn't a big car, but I don't want a big car anyway. Passat is too big for my purposes. Rear seat is usable, trunk big enough. Interior is nicer than current VW (or BMW) products, IMO. I've never been impressed by the materials or fit and finish in the NMS Passat. Steering and handling is far superior, but that's not a surprise. We'll see about reliability and ownership costs. It's probably a lot higher, and I wouldn't want the expense if it were my only car, I drive too much. And it's an automatic, which isn't my first choice, ever.

Last edited:

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
It isn't a big car, but I don't want a big car anyway. Passat is too big for my purposes. Rear seat is usable, trunk big enough. Interior is nicer than current VW (or BMW) products, IMO. I've never been impressed by the materials or fit and finish in the NMS Passat. Steering and handling is far superior, but that's not a surprise. We'll see about reliability and ownership costs. It's probably a lot higher, and I wouldn't want the expense if it were my only car, I drive too much. And it's an automatic, which isn't my first choice, ever.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I drive 100 miles a day so a bigger comfy car has usually been my preference. The BMW D I drove (don't remember the exact model) seemed to always want to be in the highest gear possible, which is pretty typical for the bmws ive owned, but this one seemed to exaggerate that. It was a wagon, which I loved, but just didn't seem to do it for me at the time. I get an honest 31mpg out of my 5 series, so it isn't terrible, but I miss being able to go Sunday to Sunday between fillups. Single father of two, so getting home and making dinner is my priority and stopping for gas sucks. Funny thing is, the best mileage BMW I ever owned was a 545i. That 350 horse V8 routinely got 33+ mpg. Picked up an 05 6.0 f250 to fill the diesel craving but it's lucky to get 14mpg. Luckily, I have a John Deere diesel riding mower that needs fuel about twice a summer, lol. I may have to give the BMW D another chance, but they are so rare around here. My older son has a BEW Jetta that will probably have to be pried from his cold, dead, hands.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Good news. Now we just need a poll to see how much below or above msrp we think these will be going for. My local dealer seems to think they will need to be marked down substantially. Makes sense to me.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Good news. Now we just need a poll to see how much below or above msrp we think these will be going for. My local dealer seems to think they will need to be marked down substantially. Makes sense to me.
The few times I have seen year or two old "new" car for sale, the dealer has wanted more way more money than I was willing pay. The one time I got what I considered a "good deal" was on a 1973 Mazda Rx3 wagon with the rotary engine. Those were stacked up on dealer lots, on the ports and on ships at sea. We drove the car for 50K miles before the engine crapped out, but we got our monies worth out of the car. Replaced it with a new1977 Honda Accord.

To most people, these 2015 TDI's will be tar babies. Remember that diesel has never been much more than a niche product in automobiles here in North America. How are they going to sell these cars against an $18K new stripped Jetta or a new Hyundai that is much better equipped and at an even lower price. Volkswagen may choose not to compete on price for fear of damaging their brand

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
We will have to see what the asking price and the actual selling price for a 2+ year old car that has been held in legal limbo.

Don't you wonder why Tomo is willing to sell his 2015 "for the right price"? Kind of tells me something about how happy he is with the car. Or he is just saying "everything has a price".

I kind of doubt these cars will be much of a bargain at retail price. Now, maybe we should look harder at what kind of a lease they offer, by way of seeing the anticipated resale hit dieselgate will have in the long time.
Love the Car.....but I bought a 16 year old Jeep Cherokee Love the old Jeep! And if someone wants my 2015 Jetta SEL TDI 6 speed Manual for around what I paid for I will bid the car farewell! interested in new GM offerings.....especially the Equinox!

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I have one also. There are a few of us (we even created the Secret Society of BMW Owners thread). The 335D interior is on par with other 3-class Beemers and with MB's E320 (which I think didn't age well). The 335D with NAV and iDrive dash looks a ton better than without, IMO.

As far as what's better about a 335D than a VW? Well they don't nickel and dime you to death, for starters. Power like the sun rising, torque all day long, easily upgradeable, more sporty looking than any Tdi, body is rock solid and doesn't flex like the VW's always have.

Downsides are: it doesn't have a manual tranny and it could stand to get 5mpg better for city. Hwy economy is respectable (42) for the power level and comfort. Back seat a little cramped (on par with the Tdi's). Trunk is small. Seats don't fold down (my biggest gripe). It is quite heavy for a small car (3850 lbs), so turn-in is a little slow for my taste. But with wide tires and tons of torque, it can keep up with most other cars on the road. I had a 350Z try and race me. I pulled on him easily.

Edit to add: I keep trying to talk my wife into an X5 35D (so I can use it to tow a popup and for off-road camping--plus they feel so much more spacious inside), but she wants a 335D ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: