Key Fob

ctennyson

TDI
2010 Jetta
Hello Guys,

My key for decided to just die yesterday. Meaning it will no longer operate the doors or trunk. The red light still operates when I press the button, but to no affect.

Where can I begin to troubleshoot ?

BTW, I only have a single key.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Start with a new battery. I've had them dead enough not to transmit much but still flash the light. I must be getting close again, I need to be within a few feet for mine to work!

KiwiCanuck

TDI
Oops.. driving a gasser
Try the new battery first. If that doesn't do it, Brian at Roseland (in Nova Scotia) has new keyfobs that you can program to your car assuming you have both keys - at least - that's what worked for me - the procedure for re-programming your key-fob is in the user's manual.

Edit: Oh... just saw you have only one key... In that case I'm not sure.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
New battery is a great idea. Failing that, the fastest course would be to track down someone with VCDS... they will be able to quickly re-adapt the fob to the car.

Dunno if there's any other way, actually, when you one have one fob... the non-VCDS method requires at least one working fob.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
New battery is a great idea. Failing that, the fastest course would be to track down someone with VCDS... they will be able to quickly re-adapt the fob to the car.

Dunno if there's any other way, actually, when you one have one fob... the non-VCDS method requires at least one working fob.
You mean key :>

You can remove the door tumbler and use a screw driver to simulate the second key if you don't have a second or vcds..

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
You mean key :>

You can remove the door tumbler and use a screen driver to simulate the second key if you don't have a second or vcds..
You mean screwdriver. :D:D

That's a great idea... you just need to be able to activate locking the driver's side door, so if you pull the tumbler and use something to trip the lock module the "two key" method should work with one key.

And a screwdriver. :)

Pulling the tumbler is pretty simple... requires the right triple-square driver to loosen the big bolt on the edge of the door three or four turns.

Last edited:

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
i have vcds and can program the key. pm me if needed

ctennyson

TDI
2010 Jetta
Just replaced the battery and to no avail.

I actually have a vcds but not sure of the process, any guidance to complete that task ?

Thanks
Colin

dmp

TDI
15 Golf, 13 Golf (for sale)
should just need a resynch, different than programming (programming it will work as well).

Unsure on that model specifically but many of the newer cars: ign on, press unlock for a second or two, take the key out and try the remote (only if the key had been programmed to the car already just lost synch)

Others: push unlock button then unlock it with the key (or unlock then push button).

I'm in oakville on saturdays, PM me if you want to meet up and i'll show you how to program the remote.