Bosch Settlement email

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
from http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/vwmdl/proposed-settlement-bosch

(i) An Eligible Owner of an Eligible Vehicle in the 2.0-liter Class Action Settlement will receive $350, except that if an Eligible Seller has identified himself or herself and filed an approved claim for the Eligible Vehicle, or if an Eligible Lessee has identified himself or herself and filed an approved claim for the Eligible Vehicle, the Eligible Owner will receive $175.

(ii) An Eligible Seller in the 2.0-liter Class Action Settlement who has identified himself or herself and filed an approved claim will receive $175.

(iii) An Eligible Lessee in the 2.0-liter Class Action Settlement will receive $200.

(iv) An Eligible Owner of an Eligible Vehicle in the 3.0-liter Class Action Settlement will receive $1,500, with three exceptions:

If an Eligible Former Owner has identified himself or herself and filed an approved claim for the Eligible Vehicle in the 3.0-liter Class Action Settlement, the $1,500 payment will be split equally ($750 each) between the Eligible Owner and the Eligible Seller.

An Eligible Owner will also receive $750 if an Eligible Former Lessee has identified himself or herself and filed an approved claim for the Eligible Vehicle in the 3.0-liter Class Action Settlement.

If two Eligible Former Owners have identified themselves and filed approved claims for the Eligible Vehicle in the 3.0-liter Class Action Settlement, the $1,500 will be split among the Eligible Owner and the two Eligible Former Owners, with $750 going to the Eligible Owner and $375 each to the two Eligible Former Owners.

(v) An Eligible Lessee in the 3.0-liter Class Action Settlement will receive $1,200.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
It looks like those who have already turned the car in only get $175.
No, the only way an Eligible Owner gets $175 is if an Eligible Seller for that car timely filed a claim, in which case that seller also gets $175. Selling the car back to VW doesn't make you an Eligible Seller.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
$350 would have been nice, but I'll take $175 (already sold mine back). $175...that's a "new" (to me) fairway wood on CallawayGolfPreowned.com and a couple boxes of balls.

No, the only way an Eligible Owner gets $175 is if an Eligible Seller for that car timely filed a claim, in which case that seller also gets $175. Selling the car back to VW doesn't make you an Eligible Seller.
$h1t...I like your line of thinking better than mine (above), lol.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Some of you are confusing language involving a situation where a car was recently sold to another person, and therefore they both split the settlement.

As Dan36 says, if you owned your car, sold it back to VW, and did not have to split the compensation with another claimant, you will get the full $350

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Your question has already been answered at least three times in this thread.
If it was, I wouldn't have asked. :rolleyes:

The information posted before my question just states the obvious if one has already filed; it does not mention nor differentiate specifically between active/pending cases and those that have already been closed by VW and marked completed.

If I'm mistaken, then show me the post before mine that answers my specific question.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I turned my Jetta in to VW in November. Got the email today.

I would ask stupid questions about the email (that actually answers those same questions) but that's just me being pissy

An Eligible Owner of an Eligible Vehicle in the VW 2.0-liter Settlement will receive $350 in the Bosch Settlement, except that if an Eligible Seller has identified himself or herself and filed an approved claim for the Eligible Vehicle, or if an Eligible Lessee has identified himself or herself and filed an approved claim for the Eligible Vehicle, the Eligible Owner will receive $175.
An Eligible Seller in the VW 2.0-liter Settlement who has identified himself or herself and filed an approved claim will receive $175 in the Bosch Settlement.
An Eligible Lessee in the VW 2.0-liter Settlement will receive $200 in the Bosch Settlement.
An Eligible Owner of an Eligible Vehicle in the 3.0-liter Settlement will receive $1,500 in the Bosch Settlement unless:
An Eligible Former Owner has identified himself or herself and filed an approved claim for the Eligible Vehicle in the VW 3.0-liter Settlement, in which case the $1,500 payment will be split equally ($750 each) between the Eligible Former Owner and the Eligible Owner.
An Eligible Former Lessee has identified himself or herself and filed an approved claim for the Eligible Vehicle in the VW 3.0-liter Settlement, in which case the Eligible Owner will receive $750 in the Bosch Settlement.
Two Eligible Former Owners have identified themselves and filed approved claims for the Eligible Vehicle in the 3.0-liter Settlement, in which case the $1,500 will be split among the Eligible Owner and the two Eligible Former Owners, with $750 going to the Eligible Owner and $375 each to the two Eligible Former Owners.
Huh?????

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, I see, he edited his while I was posting -- he answered his own question. Coinkydink. Huh!

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Whereas the car's buyback value was derived from something tangible, I don't know how to interpret the Bosch value.

Frankly, I'm not sure Bosch owes me a thing because they were acting as a contractor to VW. But I also suspect by 2015 (my model year Passat), Bosch knew what VW was up to and was a willing participant.

So... why is the Bosch software loaded into my ECU worth $350, vs Audi's Bosch software at $1500? Is it based on Bosch profit from these respective lines? Some sort of average vehicle value? Excess pollution created? Does someone know?
Do you know that Bosch sold VW 11 million copies of a "TEST" software? If that isn't a smoking gun, nothing is...Mark

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you know that Bosch sold VW 11 million copies of a "TEST" software? If that isn't a smoking gun, nothing is...Mark
As in, licensed? Yeah, ok, that's a smoking gun with a red hot barrel. I'm taking a break from reading through the preliminary approval order as I type this, and I found a couple of answers to my questions:
http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/filelibrary/2961/2920-Order-Granting-Preliminary-Approval-of-Bo.pdf

As alleged, Bosch worked closely with Volkswagen to develop and supply the software
defeat device for use in Volkswagen’s vehicles. Despite having knowledge of Volkswagen’s
illicit use of the defeat device, Bosch continued to work with Volkswagen and even concealed the
defeat device in communications with U.S. regulators when concerns were raised about the
emission control system in certain Volkswagen vehicles. While Volkswagen has publicly
admitted wrongdoing, Bosch continues to deny wrongdoing.

This doesn't explain the methodology of the award breakdown, but it at least points me in a direction to read further:

Payments to Class Members are to be made in accordance with the
distribution plan developed by the FTC, which is an independent government agency acting as an
independent third party to the litigation between Plaintiffs and Bosch. (See Dkt. No. 2918 ¶ 4.4;
Dkt. No. 2838 at 14-16.) Under the FTC’s distribution plan, eligible Class Members receive
payments based on various objective criteria (e.g., 2.0-liter or 3.0-liter engines, owners or lessees,
etc.) that do not improperly favor one or more Class Members over others.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW (GoneBack) - replaced with '15 Azera and '16 Fiat 500e.
I turned my Jetta in to VW in November. Got the email today.

I would ask stupid questions about the email (that actually answers those same questions) but that's just me being pissy

An Eligible Owner of an Eligible Vehicle in the VW 2.0-liter Settlement will receive $350 in the Bosch Settlement, except that if an Eligible Seller has identified himself or herself and filed an approved claim for the Eligible Vehicle, or if an Eligible Lessee has identified himself or herself and filed an approved claim for the Eligible Vehicle, the Eligible Owner will receive $175.
An Eligible Seller in the VW 2.0-liter Settlement who has identified himself or herself and filed an approved claim will receive $175 in the Bosch Settlement.
An Eligible Lessee in the VW 2.0-liter Settlement will receive $200 in the Bosch Settlement.
An Eligible Owner of an Eligible Vehicle in the 3.0-liter Settlement will receive $1,500 in the Bosch Settlement unless:
An Eligible Former Owner has identified himself or herself and filed an approved claim for the Eligible Vehicle in the VW 3.0-liter Settlement, in which case the $1,500 payment will be split equally ($750 each) between the Eligible Former Owner and the Eligible Owner.
An Eligible Former Lessee has identified himself or herself and filed an approved claim for the Eligible Vehicle in the VW 3.0-liter Settlement, in which case the Eligible Owner will receive $750 in the Bosch Settlement.
Two Eligible Former Owners have identified themselves and filed approved claims for the Eligible Vehicle in the 3.0-liter Settlement, in which case the $1,500 will be split among the Eligible Owner and the two Eligible Former Owners, with $750 going to the Eligible Owner and $375 each to the two Eligible Former Owners.
The $175 is if you were an eligible seller under the tdi settlement, meaning you had sold the car prior to the settlement, but owned it at the appropriate time. Those people received 50% of the restitution amount, and consequently, are only getting 50% of the $350 bosh settlement amount as well.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
The information posted before my question just states the obvious if one has already filed; it does not mention nor differentiate specifically between active/pending cases and those that have already been closed by VW and marked completed.
No, it doesn't distinguish. If you've completed the claim, then you've filed an approved claim, yes? The email says that if you have filed an approved claim, or file an approved claim in the future, you're automatically paid by Bosch. You've filed an approved claim--obviously, because you've already been paid by VW. So how does this not answer your question?

You're right, I guess, that it doesn't say anything specific about people who have already completed the buyback. It doesn't say anything about people with brown hair, or with white cars, either. But it makes a general statement that must include everyone who's already completed the buyback--it is literally impossible to have completed the buyback without being covered by the statement that is made.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
I see your point Dan - and thanks for seeing mine. But when it comes to money, I don't live by generalities and assumptions. Anyway, I didn't see any harm in asking a specific question that wasn't specifically covered by the language in the email. I'm sorry you didn't see it that way.

Best,
James

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
I'm a 2.0 off-lease buyer, so do I automatically get 50%, or is that only if my prior owner filed for their potential portion? We know not everyone did, and we shared the pool. I"ve obviously not had enough sleep this week to grasp the verbiage. LOL

Oh well, whatever shows up just gets shoveled into my business at this point.

Santa2ya

TDI
None
Just got the email this morning. What a nice surprise! Thought I was done with Dieselgate. Guess the future will tell of the details.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Just got my post card today as well and like you thought I was done with the whole VW thing I guess it is the gift that keeps giving back, I miss my TDI wagon but such is life.

Just got the email this morning. What a nice surprise! Thought I was done with Dieselgate. Guess the future will tell of the details.

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf S TDI 6-speed, 2017 Tiguan Limited, 2015 Golf R DSG/DCC/NAV.
Just got my post card today as well and like you thought I was done with the whole VW thing I guess it is the gift that keeps giving back, I miss my TDI wagon but such is life.
Yes, I also got a postcard today from 'SETTLEMENT CLAIMS ADMINISTRATION' (not an email) indicating we will automatically receive a payment through the Bosch Settlement. We had our ECU update several weeks ago, since we are keeping our 2015 Golf S TDI 6-speed, after having looked at a number of possible replacement vehicles. Their fuel mileage and handling were too lame in our opinion, compared to what our 2015 Golf is delivering.
-Rod

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
Told my wife about the Bosch $350 and she wants to spend it on accessories for our new TDI replacement Golf Wolfsburg 5M. No complaint from me! :)

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
Bosch Settlement email recv'd tonight:

To Whom It May Concern,

This is an Important, Court-Approved Notice About a Class Action Settlement

You are receiving this email notice because you are a current or former owner/lessee of a 2.0-liter TDI Volkswagen or Audi vehicle. You may be eligible to receive an additional payment from a settlement with Bosch, another defendant in the same lawsuit (“Bosch Settlement”). Your payment could be up to $350 in addition to what you may be eligible to receive from the 2.0-liter Settlement with Volkswagen/Audi (“2.0-liter Settlement”).

willie
on the 'smile with every mile' Gulf of Mexico

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
I didn't receive an email on it but I got a post card about it in today's snail mail.
No email for me either. Received two postcards ...one addressed to me and one addressed to my wife.

From what I read the earliest the court could approve the settlement is 5/11/2017...someone said it would probably be fall before the money comes and that seems about right.

Man this is like the gift that keeps on giving.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
No email for me either. Received two postcards ...one addressed to me and one addressed to my wife.
From what I read the earliest the court could approve the settlement is 5/11/2017...someone said it would probably be fall before the money comes and that seems about right.
Man this is like the gift that keeps on giving.
Could be sooner.

The settlement stipulates "Payments to Class Members from the Bosch Settlement Fund shall begin no later than 30 days after the entry of the Final Approval Order by the Court."

Bosch's fairness hearing is scheduled for May 11th. Looking back at the VW settlement calendar, the final approval of the settlement (10/25/16) came 2 weeks after the fairness hearing, and the process kicked off days later.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I think you should go the Titleist route instead :)
They've got some good stuff (ex. I like their balls), but I've never gotten any better result out of a $35+ box of their balls than I have a decent budget ball. That doesn't inspire me to run out and drop $$$$ on their clubs.

I'm debating about getting a new set of irons at the moment. I'm still playing Ping G5's that I got new/fitted back in 2006. I went with 3-PW for that set. At this point, I regret not paying a little extra to get the optional UW, SW, and LW.

I purchased a new 50* Titleist and 54* Cleveland wedge last year. Me being tall (6'4")...they just don't work out very well, as they're off-the-shelf clubs. I should have just paid a few bucks more, gone to a Ping store, given them the serial number off my clubs, and had them order a couple fitted wedges. Lesson learned.

If I go the new irons route...I think I'll go to maybe 5-PW and put the money for the 3-4 irons towards the optional wedges.

tdiesling

TDI
2014 Audi A7 Tdi, 2016 Mercedes Sprinter (CDI) 2500 4x4 (DBA as a 2017 Roadtrek SS Agile), (Sold: 2000 Golf Tdi, 1985 Quantum Td, 1980 Rabbit Diesel (totaled)) 2012 Golf Tdi (Emissions purgatory)
Got an Email for my bought back 2.0 and received a postcard for my 3.0. The dynamic duo.