Sturgeon Bay, WI GTG/Cruise Spring 2017

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
With some more free time on my hands, I figure I can organize another get together here in Sturgeon Bay. :D

Date: Saturday May 20th, 2017

Time: 9 AM CST

Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235

For anyone that has not attended one of my gtg, we have a 60x90 shop with a 2 post lift that we can work out of.

The itinerary is that we take a cruise around the county to see some of the sights in Door County and enjoy the twisty roads that we have along the shoreline. The cruise usually last 3-4 hours depending on route and time spent checking out the scenery. Once the cruise is completed, we head back to the shop to cookout and wrench on cars for those that wanna/need to work on their TDIs'

As most of you know that I'm in a wheelchair, so I will need some help when it comes to setting up for the cookout.

For the people attending if they could bring something for the cookout to share, that would be great.

If there's enough interest getting a tune for your vehicle, I can check with JFettig if he would be interested in attending. If he's unavailable I can inquire with some different tuners on their interest to attend.

Hope to see you this spring. ;)

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Sounds good! Got it on my schedule. Also sent you PM.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I'll give it a definite maybe - It's after mothers day and before memorial day, so it might work out schedule wise. Will it be warm enough in May to bring the convertible or will the twin turbo be more interesting?

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll give it a definite maybe - It's after mothers day and before memorial day, so it might work out schedule wise. Will it be warm enough in May to bring the convertible or will the twin turbo be more interesting?
Knowing how the weather usually works when I have a gtg of a cloudy rainy day, I say bring the twin turbo. Of course just the opposite will happen and it will be an amazing day with sun shine and not a cloud in the sky.:p

If you could find a driver you could trust, I say bring both.;)

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Did Dieselgate effect that many members in the Midwest?

I thought there would be more interest... Either way the gtg is happening:D

FLASH1970

TDI
2001 GOLF GLS
If there's enough interest getting a tune for your vehicle, I can check with JFettig if he would be interested in attending. If he's unavailable I can inquire with some different tuners on their interest to attend.
That's a cool idea.

Did Dieselgate effect that many members in the Midwest?

I thought there would be more interest... Either way the gtg is happening:D
Automotion in the Dells is that weekend. I might be going there with a couple friends.

mrowens33

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta sedan slushbox, 2004 Jetta wagon manual( my Noble Steed)
I'm considering coming to the GTG. Do you know if JFettig may come? I might be needing a tune.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
You're the first person to inquire about getting a tune, so I haven't invited him. I'll see what his plans are for that weekend and see if he's interested in making the trip to Sturgeon Bay for the gtg. If he isn't able to make it, then maybe Kevinski4 from the Oshkosh area will attend.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
im interested in coming, its marked on the calendar but i never know if i can get off work until the week prior.

No idea if the Red Death will be appropriately "upgraded" by then in order to be tuned... nobody wants to burn custom chips for an antique passat anyway.

I'd also love to see F_U_B's twin turbo setup.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm considering coming to the GTG. Do you know if JFettig may come? I might be needing a tune.
I got a response from JFettig and unfortunately he won't be able to make it this spring.

I did send a pm to Kevinski4 who is also a Malone dealer and I'm hoping will make the trip to attend the cruise/gtg.

im interested in coming, its marked on the calendar but i never know if i can get off work until the week prior.

No idea if the Red Death will be appropriately "upgraded" by then in order to be tuned... nobody wants to burn custom chips for an antique passat anyway.

I'd also love to see F_U_B's twin turbo setup.
Fingers crossed that you can make it:)

Jeff from Rocketchip would more than likely be able to tune your car for you.

Either of his cars would be cool to check out, but I would have to agree that putting the twin turbo Jetta on the lift would be pretty awesome:eek:

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 1999.5 Jetta, 2001 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, and too many others I've lost count
If Jeff from Rocketchip will be attending, count me in for two tunes (one '01 ALH and one '04 BEW). If some other tuner will be attending, I'm a strong possible, depending on who and cost.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
If Jeff from Rocketchip will be attending, count me in for two tunes (one '01 ALH and one '04 BEW). If some other tuner will be attending, I'm a strong possible, depending on who and cost.
I dont think he meant that Jeff was attending, just that Jeff could carve some rocks into ECU chips for my stone age passat

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 1999.5 Jetta, 2001 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, and too many others I've lost count
I dont think he meant that Jeff was attending, just that Jeff could carve some rocks into ECU chips for my stone age passat
Agreed, that's the impression I got too. Jeff tuned my 01 Jetta in FDL in 2008, (I think it was at dieselgrandad's last GTG.) In 2009 I hosted a GTG in West Allis at the car club I belong to and had Jeff tune my 99.5 Jetta. Pretty impressive watching him swap the chips on ECU when he did the 99.5 tune.

I recently picked up a 01 Golf that needs a little get up and go. My nephew picked up a 04 Jetta wagon that could use a little more pep too. Was hoping there would be a GTG in the area where we could get both tuned rather than shipping the ECU's out to get tuned resulting in the cars being out of service for a few days.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Agreed, that's the impression I got too. Jeff tuned my 01 Jetta in FDL in 2008, (I think it was at dieselgrandad's last GTG.) In 2009 I hosted a GTG in West Allis at the car club I belong to and had Jeff tune my 99.5 Jetta. Pretty impressive watching him swap the chips on ECU when he did the 99.5 tune.

I recently picked up a 01 Golf that needs a little get up and go. My nephew picked up a 04 Jetta wagon that could use a little more pep too. Was hoping there would be a GTG in the area where we could get both tuned rather than shipping the ECU's out to get tuned resulting in the cars being out of service for a few days.
I'm still waiting to hear back from Kevinski4 if he's going to attend. If you're up for getting a Malone tune.

It would take a really good turn out for Jeff to make the trip to tune ECUs if Kevinski4 is unable to attend. Especially with such little time for an invitation to come to the gtg and tune cars.

Depending on the interest, I'd be more than happy to host a fall gtg and see if Jeff would be willing to make the trip to tune cars.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
There's some blasts from the past. I think the Fondy GTG was the first one I went to. I was also at the one in West Allis. Changed the diff lube in my 01m at that one. I think I had, only, about 120k on the car at that time. Now, I'm at almost three times that. Recently rolled over 317k.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it :(. I was really looking forward to a cruise through Door County. I saw a little of it at TDIFest this year, but would like to see more sometime.

If plans change I'll be there for sure, but at this point it's not going to happen. Sorry :(

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it :(. I was really looking forward to a cruise through Door County. I saw a little of it at TDIFest this year, but would like to see more sometime.

If plans change I'll be there for sure, but at this point it's not going to happen. Sorry :(
Well that is unfortunate:(

I was hoping to either get a better look at the TT TDI or see upgrades you've done to the TTDI.

If things change it would be great to have you.:cool:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Eric. Just checking to see if things are still a go for next Saturday. As of right now, I will be there.
Yep, everything is still a go, unless we have a natural disaster, then I'll have to consider canceling it.;)

I should have posted this in the original post, but if people could bring something to share for the cookout portion, that would be great. I'll be supplying the burgers and buns, so if you wanna bring brats, hot dogs, etc. feel free to do so. We'll need something to drink as well, so if someone wouldn't mind bring water, soda, gatorade, etc. would very helpful. For those that are of age, I have no problem if you have a beer or two while wrenching on a car or bsing with another member.

I look forward to seeing you all on Saturday.:cool:

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't think I'll be able to make it, just too much happening with my bees and garden this time of year.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Alright you's guys. Been holding off with a reply trying to see if I could actually make it. Wife has something going on Saturday and it's still scheduled, so I'll be on kid duty and unable to attend. For those of you looking for a tune, we can still do them in Oshkosh or Appleton, or even remotely via a Flashzilla, just hit me up and I'll get you taken care of.