Cruze Diesel is rated at 52 mpg highway in stick version, 37 mpg combined

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I let the local Chevrolet dealer know frequently that I'll be interested in a Cruze to replace my TDI JSW when they make a sportwagen version. Gotta put the bike somewhere inside.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
The Cruze 1.6 liter diesel has been emissions certified by CARB (LEV3 ULEV125 - https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/pcldtmdv/2017/gm_pc_a0062075_1d6_u3-125_diesel.pdf).

Nice to see this mile stone behind GM. EPA MPG numbers should be done also with this testing done. At least all the data to calculate the mpg numbers should be final now. EPA approval for the non CARB states should be a rubber stamp now.

I kind of doubt there will be a different engine/tune for non CARB states anyway. Doesn't make production sense to me.

How long it will take for these cars to hit the sale floors?

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Hooray for Chevy

2017 CARB Compliant diesel. GM is cutting edge again.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Why is there such a large gap between city and highway ratings, or rather, why is the city FE so low? Obviously the Mk IV is a different car, but our highway is 48-52, and city is 42-45.

From 52 to 30, is what, a 40% loss?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The epa rating for an '04 golf was 38/46 standard, 32/43 automatic.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
looks good, hope this is car we are offered.....

this will give VWAG even more incentive to quickly get their diesel cars back on sale here again....
Sorry to say, but VW's problem is not meeting the emissions rules going forward. They can do it just like GM, Ford, BMW, etc.

Their problem is a huge SCARLET Letter on their brand. They have to run away from diesel, because for the next 10 or 15 years, VW diesel will be associated with DieselGate in the public mind here in North America.

VW has no one to blame, except their own arrogant selves.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Sorry to say, but VW's problem is not meeting the emissions rules going forward. They can do it just like GM, Ford, BMW, etc.

Their problem is a huge SCARLET Letter on their brand. They have to run away from diesel, because for the next 10 or 15 years, VW diesel will be associated with DieselGate in the public mind here in North America.

VW has no one to blame, except their own arrogant selves.
Odd, because defeater software is no longer possible. Testing is done in real world driving. So if VW passed the tests, there would be no doubt they were technologically ready and would sell. I think they fell behind technologically while they were cheating, and are still eating their losses from dieselgate and can't afford to invest and catch up. By the time they can, diesel may be giving way to electric.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If GM does well with their small diesels, I bet vw will bring theirs back. People have short memories.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, but those cars were crap. In general, TDI owners love their cars. And those rushing the exits to jump into SUVs or whatever were never likely repeat customers in the first place.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Yeah, but those cars were crap. In general, TDI owners love their cars. And those rushing the exits to jump into SUVs or whatever were never likely repeat customers in the first place.
Except for the reliability issues, the 350 diesel offered quite a bit of fuel economy in a big car for the time. I owned one for a couple of years in the early/mid 80's. The rest of the car was typical for it's time.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No offense intended. I was speaking mainly from an engineering point of view. I have fond memories of my parents Renault LeCars, which were also not the best design ever put forward.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
May be too optimistic, but I think VW would offer Diesels again in US. After all they're known for their TDI's cars and have been heavily invested in this technology. Plus they still sell TDI cars all over the world with great success,and will keep continue to develop/refine EA288 engine. Societies in general have short memory, and if VW could offer TDI's within next couple of years with the FE level that is similar to Cruze, I believe they would be able generate solid sales demands for their cars in USA

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
May be too optimistic, but I think VW would offer Diesels again in US. After all they're known for their TDI's cars and have been heavily invested in this technology. Plus they still sell TDI cars all over the world with great success,and will keep continue to develop/refine EA288 engine. Societies in general have short memory, and if VW could offer TDI's within next couple of years with the FE level that is similar to Cruze, I believe they would be able generate solid sales demands for their cars in USA

Now that is a positive outlook!

(Let's hope you're correct

ez

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Cruze Hatchback diesel, Colorado ZR2 diesel and an Equinox diesel would be a fuel efficient fleet for a household.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
No offense intended. I was speaking mainly from an engineering point of view. I have fond memories of my parents Renault LeCars, which were also not the best design ever put forward.
The Renault Dauphine was Renault's first attempt at the U.S. market in the very late 1950's. The Renault LeCar was a huge success compared to the Dauphine.

With the 350 Diesel, GM fixed the head gasket problem with more head bolts in late 1982. But the damage was done by then and the 350 diesel's place in history was cemented.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Renault Dauphine was Renault's first attempt at the U.S. market in the very late 1950's. The Renault LeCar was a huge success compared to the Dauphine.

With the 350 Diesel, GM fixed the head gasket problem with more head bolts in late 1982. But the damage was done by then and the 350 diesel's place in history was cemented.
Yeah, I thought they were fun little cars. And economical. So economical in fact, that they decided anything more than three lug nuts per wheel was frivolous indulgence. :D

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Yeah, I thought they were fun little cars. And economical. So economical in fact, that they decided anything more than three lug nuts per wheel was frivolous indulgence. :D
And they moved the motor to the back for the R5 Turbo. Textbook example of a manufacture making a performance car out of Econobox.

dministrator

TDI
2012 Passat TDI Sunroof+Nav
Can someone please help do a break-even analysis for the Diesel Cruze manual? How many miles should one drive this to break even on the premium compared to a similarly equipped Gasoline model or even a Honda Civic?

Thank you.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Can someone please help do a break-even analysis for the Diesel Cruze manual? How many miles should one drive this to break even on the premium compared to a similarly equipped Gasoline model or even a Honda Civic?
Thank you.

If you are looking to save money you should not go with any diesel! the maintenance alone is going make any diesel a money looser for all who are not an actual mechanic compared to a plain jane gasser offering from Toyota, Nissan, ect.....

A plain jane Corolla, Kia, Hyundia or similar will always be more of a money saver in the long run if you are not a mechanic who can do your own repairs at the cost of just the parts....

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V

Thank you.
+
Quick and dirty look at the numbers tells me to buy a Volt instead of a Cruze diesel. My long time buddy leased a 2014 Volt for 36K miles and spent like $30 on maintenance in 3 years. He was so pleased, he purchased a new 2017 Volt at the end of the lease. On long trips he gets 50+ mpg on regular gas. If you don't want to spend 30K on a Volt, then get a Hyundai/Kia for under 20K. My sister in law got a new 2015 Kia for under 15K out the door and no issues so far.