The VW TDI Buyback Reality

White Dove

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
You’ve gone through the process of submitting all the paperwork VW requires and setting up an appointment for your buyback. Here is what really happens when you get to that appointment.

If you choose an Electronics Funds Transfer (EFT), VW expects you to hand over your title and car and wait an unspecified time period to get your money. Period. So I chose to have a check issued for my buyback. I would NEVER sell my car to someone and not have the money in hand!

I signed up for my appointment on December 15, 2016. The appointment wasn’t until January 6, 2017. My work is in a different city than where I live. I drive about 500 miles a week. I knew there was a high possibility that my original official offer would be incorrect due to the excess mileage on my vehicle. But, I did not have the option of parking the car and not driving it. I was not in a position to buy another car before receiving my buyback – and why should I? Why should I trust VW to follow through with any “promise” they have made to make things right?

So 15 days before the appointment, on December 21, 2016, I made yet another call to VW and was assured by Jim (won’t give last name) that the offer was based on an odometer reading of between 110,000-115,000 miles. I tried to tell him that I did not believe this was correct. That my calculations based on court documents indicated a lower amount based on my current mileage. He reassured me that all was correct.

There was no way to update the mileage on the portal to ensure the check amount would be correct. I called VW several times to try and change the mileage and my check amount and was repeatedly told all was OK. But it wasn’t. When I got to the buyback appointment the check was incorrect based on my current mileage. I was told I would have to make another appointment and come back. My husband and I both had already missed work and pay due to the appointment. We were on the phone for more than 2 hours trying to get authorization from VW to pay the difference – around $389.73 according to my calculations – with a certified check or cash. We tried to get authorization to have the new check sent overnight to the VW buyback representative at the dealership so we could come back and finalize the deal. We tried to buy a new VW and have the reissued check sent to dealership as part of the deal, which they were willing to do. We presented viable solutions a reasonable person would expect to be acceptable – and were told NO by VW. Then, Beri, a supervisor with VW claims we spoke with over the phone, said she was cancelling our appointment and we would have to go to the online portal and schedule a new appointment.

This was the most horrible, unprofessional experience. The FTC Consent Order, which dictates how VW is to honor its obligations under the settlement, states that “if the vehicle is subject to a negative Mileage Adjustment a check will not be provided immediately and instead VW will issue and send a new check within 3 banking days for the adjusted amount.” VW refused to do this. The next appointment times for a dealership in my area are at least 7-8 weeks away. I must input my mileage again, and cannot accurately predict how many miles will be on my car at the precise moment I turn my car in. So, the cycle will continue. Also, by waiting another 7-8 weeks, I will receive about $800-$1200 less for my car, from the original offer.

So, this is the reality. I know some people have gotten their buybacks without a hitch, but for those of us who are outside of the “norm,” the experience is rotten. The process is broken. I will never get a buyback under these conditions.

I should be compensated much more for the additional stress and time lost from work because VW has no way to work with those of us who get to the table and the numbers don’t add up correctly.

Thought y'all would like to know the reality of the buyback.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Well- as you admit in your post, it's your reality, and others appear to have sailed through the process. Some other anecdotes indicate experiences that fall somewhere between.
I see no reason to continue such a "cycle." There is a way to get hold of the lawyers representing the plaintiff side in the CAS, and present this situation to them, and ask for advice on how to proceed. If I believed that the process had been violated (as, once again, your post indicates), then that is the course of action I would consider.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Nothing that hasn't already been reported many times here. And if you hadn't been paranoid about leaving the car without money (which a check isn't anyway) in hand, you'd be done by now. And what should have happened per the settlements would have taken longer to get you the money than the EFT that you didn't want to do in the first place.

You're right, though, that the settlement says they're supposed to mail you a check if your mileage is higher than expected. You're also right that they aren't doing that. That's pretty well-known around here, and VW tells you that explicitly through the process, but it still seems like the wrong answer. I kind of doubt it, but maybe class counsel can help you out. info@vwclasscounsel.com.

TDI
2015 Sportwagen
To me time is money. Your risking wrecking the car or a major breakdown if you push things to the right waiting on another appt. I would take the money and be done.

I think you are extremely lucky to have gotten that far in the process. I uploaded docs 0n 5 Oct. I have gotten green check marks and sitting on step 15 since 23 Nov.

Did you take the car back or sell it?

Flogger

TDI
Golg
This is another case to do an EFT. One of our two vehicles was slightly off on miles. Not a problem, the appointment took 10 minutes and the correct amount was transferred to my account. No muss, no fuss. No wait for a check to clear.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
A couple of other, more specific, points:

VW expects you to hand over your title and car and wait an unspecified time period to get your money.
No, not "an unspecified time period", three business days. And that's one timeline they're doing pretty well at meeting, by all accounts.

My husband and I both had already missed work and pay due to the appointment.
Why? They have weekend and evening appointments available.

I must input my mileage again, and cannot accurately predict how many miles will be on my car at the precise moment I turn my car in.
...and you can't even make an educated guess? You say you drive 500 miles/week, and you say appointments are 7-8 weeks out. Can't you figure out from that a pretty good estimate of what your mileage will be? Sounds to me like "4000 miles more than I currently have" would be a good starting point. And maybe add a bit as a fudge factor?

Also, by waiting another 7-8 weeks, I will receive about $800-$1200 less for my car, from the original offer.
There's no scenario where an extra 4000 miles on the car results in $1200 less in buyback amount.

I will never get a buyback under these conditions.
I guess not, until you can either figure out some simple math, or get slightly less paranoid. Again, if you'd chosen EFT, you'd have your money by now.

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
I don't know how I can not be a jerk at the same time as saying this is probably one of my favorite threads on this forum since DieselGate broke but it is.

I'm proud of and grateful for the handful of vocal "consummate professional" TDIClub vets on here tempering all sorts of drama and shedding light in obvious places.

Thanks!
Go team!

White Dove

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Ouch

WOW. I really appreciate that y'all are reading my post, but I NEVER expected so many people to be so judgmental about my decisions. I'm now sorry I shared. For those who actually tried to help me, thanks.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, but the reality is that almost all of your problems were self-inflicted, and predictable beforehand. Even where VW isn't following the process spelled out in the settlement documents (i.e., they should have taken your car and mailed you a check for the correct amount within three business days--which, incidentally, would have taken longer to get your money to you than your waiting on the EFT--rather than making you reschedule the appointment), they tell you up front that this is what they'll do.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
I chose to have a check issued for my buyback. I would NEVER sell my car to someone and not have the money in hand!

You're not selling your car to someone off the street. You're selling your car to VW, under a court order and observation.

I always LOL at the "money in hand", backwards thinking types. You deliberately complicated this, when it could have been simple.

Self inflicted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
I feel for you because it shouldn't be a prerequisite to follow this forum as obsessively as many of us in order to know what's going to happen under certain scenarios. I, too, was surprised about the over miles / no check thing when somebody posted about it a few weeks back, which is not how the process flow is outlined.

But there have been other inconsistencies in processes described vs. reality, so... yeah, this sucks.

However, if your intent with this post is to help others who don't know about this detail, I'd edit the title to something better descriptive so it doesn't get passed over.

I've got to agree with the others though, don't be so skeptical of the EFT. They've been paying mostly ontime since the first buyback. Either that, or over-estimate you mileage and anticipate a make-up check.

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
You’ve gone through the process of submitting all the paperwork VW requires and setting up an appointment for your buyback. Here is what really happens when you get to that appointment.

If you choose an Electronics Funds Transfer (EFT), VW expects you to hand over your title and car and wait an unspecified time period to get your money. Period.So I chose to have a check issued for my buyback.I would NEVER sell my car to someone and not have the money in hand!

I signed up for my appointment on December 15, 2016. The appointment wasn’t until January 6, 2017.My work is in a different city than where I live.I drive about 500 miles a week.I knew there was a high possibility that my original official offer would be incorrect due to the excess mileage on my vehicle.But, I did not have the option of parking the car and not driving it.I was not in a position to buy another car before receiving my buyback – and why should I?Why should I trust VW to follow through with any “promise” they have made to make things right?

So 15 days before the appointment, on December 21, 2016, I made yet another call to VW and was assured by Jim (won’t give last name) that the offer was based on an odometer reading of between 110,000-115,000 miles. I tried to tell him that I did not believe this was correct.That my calculations based on court documents indicated a lower amount based on my current mileage.He reassured me that all was correct.

There was no way to update the mileage on the portal to ensure the check amount would be correct. I called VW several times to try and change the mileage and my check amount and was repeatedly told all was OK.But it wasn’t.When I got to the buyback appointment the check was incorrect based on my current mileage.I was told I would have to make another appointment and come back.My husband and I both had already missed work and pay due to the appointment.We were on the phone for more than 2 hours trying to get authorization from VW to pay the difference – around $389.73 according to my calculations – with a certified check or cash.We tried to get authorization to have the new check sent overnight to the VW buyback representative at the dealership so we could come back and finalize the deal.We tried to buy a new VW and have the reissued check sent to dealership as part of the deal, which they were willing to do.We presented viable solutions a reasonable person would expect to be acceptable – and were told NO by VW.Then, Beri, a supervisor with VW claims we spoke with over the phone, said she was cancelling our appointment and we would have to go to the online portal and schedule a new appointment.

This was the most horrible, unprofessional experience. The FTC Consent Order, which dictates how VW is to honor its obligations under the settlement, states that “if the vehicle is subject to a negative Mileage Adjustment a check will not be provided immediately and instead VW will issue and send a new check within 3 banking days for the adjusted amount.”VW refused to do this.The next appointment times for a dealership in my area are at least 7-8 weeks away.I must input my mileage again, and cannot accurately predict how many miles will be on my car at the precise moment I turn my car in. So, the cycle will continue. Also, by waiting another 7-8 weeks, I will receive about $800-$1200 less for my car, from the original offer.

So, this is the reality. I know some people have gotten their buybacks without a hitch, but for those of us who are outside of the “norm,” the experience is rotten.The process is broken.I will never get a buyback under these conditions.

I should be compensated much more for the additional stress and time lost from work because VW has no way to work with those of us who get to the table and the numbers don’t add up correctly.

So in so many word, if your particular situation in an exception to the norm, there could be issues. Got it.

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
WOW. I really appreciate that y'all are reading my post, but I NEVER expected so many people to be so judgmental about my decisions. I'm now sorry I shared. For those who actually tried to help me, thanks.
This response more or less explains your problem...

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Uhhh, they weren't trying to help you. I don't think you were sharing, you were venting. Were you looking for sympathy? You were being told the reality of the process. You telling us how "it really works" is really how it works! What a concept....I think most of us already knew that and planned for it. Those, like yourself who thought differently... well the world doesn't revolve around you. The courts and VW took a very complicated case and process and simplified it to the best of their ability, and it's too bad they couldn't account for your special needs.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
You are now the poster child for why I would NOT choose a check over EFT.

I think you knew the risks of going check, based on what you wrote. Especially considering the particulars of your situation.

You chose to avoid a possible (but highly unlikely) problem (VW running off with your car and not paying up) and walked right off a cliff instead. :(

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Problem stems from attempting to do something your way instead of going with the flow. Selling a car to VW under a court order is not remotely the same level of risk as selling one on Craigslist / Kijiji. Select EFT, let them do their thing their way.

I agree that this was self inflicted.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi

If you choose an Electronics Funds Transfer (EFT), VW expects you to hand over your title and car and wait an unspecified time period to get your money. Period. So I chose to have a check issued for my buyback. I would NEVER sell my car to someone and not have the money in hand!

I signed up for my appointment on December 15, 2016. The appointment wasn’t until January 6, 2017. My work is in a different city than where I live. I drive about 500 miles a week. I knew there was a high possibility that my original official offer would be incorrect due to the excess mileage on my vehicle. But, I did not have the option of parking the car and not driving it. I was not in a position to buy another car before receiving my buyback – and why should I? Why should I trust VW to follow through with any “promise” they have made to make things right?

So 15 days before the appointment, on December 21, 2016, I made yet another call to VW and was assured by Jim (won’t give last name) that the offer was based on an odometer reading of between 110,000-115,000 miles. I tried to tell him that I did not believe this was correct. That my calculations based on court documents indicated a lower amount based on my current mileage. He reassured me that all was correct.

There was no way to update the mileage on the portal to ensure the check amount would be correct. I called VW several times to try and change the mileage and my check amount and was repeatedly told all was OK. But it wasn’t. When I got to the buyback appointment the check was incorrect based on my current mileage. I was told I would have to make another appointment and come back. My husband and I both had already missed work and pay due to the appointment. We were on the phone for more than 2 hours trying to get authorization from VW to pay the difference – around $389.73 according to my calculations – with a certified check or cash. We tried to get authorization to have the new check sent overnight to the VW buyback representative at the dealership so we could come back and finalize the deal. We tried to buy a new VW and have the reissued check sent to dealership as part of the deal, which they were willing to do. We presented viable solutions a reasonable person would expect to be acceptable – and were told NO by VW. Then, Beri, a supervisor with VW claims we spoke with over the phone, said she was cancelling our appointment and we would have to go to the online portal and schedule a new appointment.

This was the most horrible, unprofessional experience. The FTC Consent Order, which dictates how VW is to honor its obligations under the settlement, states that “if the vehicle is subject to a negative Mileage Adjustment a check will not be provided immediately and instead VW will issue and send a new check within 3 banking days for the adjusted amount.” VW refused to do this. The next appointment times for a dealership in my area are at least 7-8 weeks away. I must input my mileage again, and cannot accurately predict how many miles will be on my car at the precise moment I turn my car in. So, the cycle will continue. Also, by waiting another 7-8 weeks, I will receive about $800-$1200 less for my car, from the original offer.

So, this is the reality. I know some people have gotten their buybacks without a hitch, but for those of us who are outside of the “norm,” the experience is rotten. The process is broken. I will never get a buyback under these conditions.

And that's why I selected EFT.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
PS, to make sure it goes smoothly next time, overestimate the mileage, if you refuse to use EFT.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Uhhh, they weren't trying to help you. I don't think you were sharing, you were venting. Were you looking for sympathy? You were being told the reality of the process. You telling us how "it really works" is really how it works! What a concept....I think most of us already knew that and planned for it. Those, like yourself who thought differently... well the world doesn't revolve around you. The courts and VW took a very complicated case and process and simplified it to the best of their ability, and it's too bad they couldn't account for your special needs.
Yup. This whole thing is an exercise in expectation management. That is to say that if you expect VERY little and set the bar VERY low for someone or something...it's pretty difficult to come away disappointed.

I was frustrated at many points during the process, but at the end of the day...the actual buyback day went VERY fast and smoothly.

As someone threw out above...I intentionally overshot my mileage estimate when I set my appointment by about 500 miles. That way, I knew that I'd walk out with a check. My amount was lower than my original offer by about $500, but I won't lose any sleep over it.

Last edited:

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
In fairness, if someone hasn't followed this forum or the dieselgate facebook page, and followed it closely.... They might not know that doing what she did would result in exactly what resulted.

It pays to be informed, and to log on here or FB at least once every few days and read up a little on whats going on. Because I did that myself, I became aware of the goodwill package, that I would have never known about otherwise. And because of reading this forum every now and then, I became aware of the settlement and details, and decided to go out on a limb and buy a 2nd car just to make a profit on. And because of reading this forum, I have been well aware of exactly how this whole process works, from uploading documents to how to properly execute and send back the offer to what to expect at the buyback appointment etc....

I have a few friends with TDI's that don't follow forums or FB pages... they have been clueless and completely in the dark other than what I have told them. It pays to be in the know.... Would have saved you alot of time and hassle.

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
In fairness, if someone hasn't followed this forum or the dieselgate facebook page, and followed it closely.... They might not know that doing what she did would result in exactly what resulted.

It pays to be informed, and to log on here or FB at least once every few days and read up a little on whats going on. Because I did that myself, I became aware of the goodwill package, that I would have never known about otherwise. And because of reading this forum every now and then, I became aware of the settlement and details, and decided to go out on a limb and buy a 2nd car just to make a profit on. And because of reading this forum, I have been well aware of exactly how this whole process works, from uploading documents to how to properly execute and send back the offer to what to expect at the buyback appointment etc....

I have a few friends with TDI's that don't follow forums or FB pages... they have been clueless and completely in the dark other than what I have told them. It pays to be in the know.... Would have saved you alot of time and hassle.
I don't know if that is necessarily the case. I've been following the goings on on this forum for much of Dieselgate, but I've not actually done any of the thing suggested on here, and apart from a longer than anticipated wait time between document submission and document acceptance (four weeks instead of the promised 10 business days), I (knock on wood) haven't had any issues. All that took was some common sense and following the instructions as laid out on the settlement website without overthinking it.

Meanwhile I would argue that the people that are feeding off each other in this forum, making all sorts of phone calls to VW Care and the settlement counsel, and generally venting their spleens everywhere are the ones having the problems. Now are the problems causing them to vent their spleens, or are they making life more difficult for themselves because they can't get past their anger and follow instructions and show a little patience? That I don't know.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I don't know if that is necessarily the case. I've been following the goings on on this forum for much of Dieselgate, but I've not actually done any of the thing suggested on here, and apart from a longer than anticipated wait time between document submission and document acceptance (four weeks instead of the promised 10 business days), I (knock on wood) haven't had any issues. All that took was some common sense and following the instructions as laid out on the settlement website without overthinking it.

Meanwhile I would argue that the people that are feeding off each other in this forum, making all sorts of phone calls to VW Care and the settlement counsel, and generally venting their spleens everywhere are the ones having the problems. Now are the problems causing them to vent their spleens, or are they making life more difficult for themselves because they can't get past their anger and follow instructions and show a little patience? That I don't know.

That has to be one of the best posts about the whole buyback situation I've seen yet.

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
If I had not been watching the forums and FB, I would not have known that on the offer form the notary needs to stamp the paper, not emboss it. Embossing would result in the offer papers not being accepted and a delay in the process. Also wouldn't have known that you need to upload and send back all 7 pages of the offer letter instead of just the pages you sign.

I could give plenty of examples like that. Just helps to be informed before the fact rather than after the fact

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
If I had not been watching the forums and FB, I would not have known that on the offer form the notary needs to stamp the paper, not emboss it. Embossing would result in the offer papers not being accepted ......................
Senor GyroRon,

Were snail mail used to forward the signed/notarized offer to VW, would embossing then be acceptable?

I ask only because I am electronically challenged!

best,

ez

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
Life isn't fair.... All of your issues were discussed here multiple times. Go get em!

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
If I had not been watching the forums and FB, I would not have known that on the offer form the notary needs to stamp the paper, not emboss it. Embossing would result in the offer papers not being accepted and a delay in the process. Also wouldn't have known that you need to upload and send back all 7 pages of the offer letter instead of just the pages you sign.

I could give plenty of examples like that. Just helps to be informed before the fact rather than after the fact
it states it all needs to be uploaded. and I used embossed notary but I did learn to use pencil shading to make it stand out

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
If you had opted for the EFT, the correct amount would have been deposited in your bank account within two to three business days after you turned your car in. The process of payment is pursuant to a Federal District Court supervised multi billion dollar case involving hundreds of thousands of cars and car owners.

However, because you chose to have no more confidence in the process than a one on one sale of a car to a stranger, you opted for the check, a far less precise process that, while on the surface appears simpler, behind the scenes is far more complex to get right the first try.

The right amount to be paid is the amount specified in the Settlement and as represented in the on line calculators. My payment was less than that indicated in the offer letter, but I knew that the letter amount was too high. So when I was told the correct number at the turn in, and that was my EFT, I was satisfied.

Those who opted for checks also ran into isolated problems. Weather disrupted FedEx check distribution, and some people who opted for checks had none at their scheduled turn in. But they eventually got them. Others had checks, but for the wrong amounts. So they were not issued at the turn in appointment.

When there are hundreds of thousands of transactions to occur, some will invariably have glitches. But it appears all are being favorably resolved. Even "bring" who originally never got an e-mail confirmation of his turn in has now received a Chase EFT e-mail to get his funds.

But you have to have more trust than is prudent in selling a car to a stranger.

Last edited:

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Senor GyroRon,

Were snail mail used to forward the signed/notarized offer to VW, would embossing then be acceptable?

I ask only because I am electronically challenged!

best,

ez

Good question, you would think common sense would prevail and the answer would be yes. But who knows. Safer and faster to just have a notary stamp it, and then find someone who can scan all 7 pages into a PDF file and help you upload it to the portal.