No more USB Hex-cam? (or is this just news to me?) Also VCDS-lite question.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The requirement to register a VIN comes when you start doing invasive stuff like coding changes, basic settings, adaptations.
The problem with this (to me) is that most of the things that I have done to/for other people's cars with VCDS are (in Uwe's terms) invasive. I have only scanned and reset fault codes on probably 5 or 6 cars total (including my own). However, I have changed coding, basic settings, and done adaptations on far more cars. I am not a mechanic for a living. For example:

Coding to fix aux input on Premium 7 radios - at least 6 cars (including my own).
Coding to enable windows up/down with remote - at least 10 cars (including my own).
Coding to enable sun roof closing with remote - at least 3 cars (including my own).
Coding to enable Rain/Light sensor on Passats - 2 cars (not mine)
Coding to enable indirect TPMS - 1 car (not mine)
Coding to disable cold diagnostics on some LED bulbs - at least 3 cars (including mine).
Basic Settings to run fuel pumps on CRs - at least 3 cars (including my own).
Basic Settings to run ALH timing checker on 2 MKIVs (not mine)
Advanced coding to adapt DPF pressure sensors - 3 cars (not mine, yet)

This list is certainly not complete and some of the coding was done to the same car, but my point is that my HEX+CAN cable has done coding, adaptations and basic settings on far more than 10 vehicles since I have owned it. I am quite glad that all my Ross-Tech stuff is unlimited.

Have Fun!

Don

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I suspect the price of old cables is going to skyrocket especially the ones that work with later cars. To get the same functionality you need to pay almost $500 now. I would snatch up old cables while you can.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
The problem with this (to me) is that most of the things that I have done to/for other people's cars with VCDS are (in Uwe's terms) invasive. I have only scanned and reset fault codes on probably 5 or 6 cars total (including my own). However, I have changed coding, basic settings, and done adaptations on far more cars. I am not a mechanic for a living. For example:

Coding to fix aux input on Premium 7 radios - at least 6 cars (including my own).
Coding to enable windows up/down with remote - at least 10 cars (including my own).
Coding to enable sun roof closing with remote - at least 3 cars (including my own).
Coding to disable cold diagnostics on some LED bulbs - at least 3 cars (including mine).

This list is certainly not complete and some of the coding was done to the same car, but my point is that my HEX+CAN cable has done coding, adaptations and basic settings on far more than 10 vehicles since I have owned it. I am quite glad that all my Ross-Tech stuff is unlimited.

Have Fun!

Don
Look , this is the way I look. If you do more then 10 cars , then get unlimited one.
Then for anything you do set a fee for it , and cable will pay off by it self.
Even if you do for friends you need to charge some fee for it, you did not get this for free.
Simple solution.

Anyway Old Hex-CAN will still work for quite bit, so not need to make big of the deal of that.

And if you have 2017 and later models , get new interface , and owner of this car really need to pay you for your work , anything you do .

This is what I said , Nothing comes form a tree , put it this way,
You have relay bad Cold , you know you need some medicine like antibiotics, but you need to pay Doctor visit , to get it .
Same here, this require very good knowledge , and this is what you need to be pay for.

New Interface, they made better chose for everyone. I know price is little more then old one, But COMMON, everything else out there is way more expensive then 10 years ago.
Some people before had only 2 cars , and wanted have it just for them , but they had to pay full version. That way they made it limited VIN and unlimited version.

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
clear/read codes, No VIN required...Set Timing, VIN required..?..

Two questions:

Will checking/setting timing on a Immo-III equipped MK4 require registering a VIN? (requires basic settings) If so, I would find it hard to swallow - I can't count the number of MK4's I've checked or set timing on for local members.

Is there a price for an unlimited-VIN Hex-V2?

I am a bit more than an enthusiast, but do not see the need for the wireless functionality of the Hex-Net Pro.
The way I read it is for clearing codes, no vin's are used...

But, to set the timing after a t-belt replacement or anything else that requires a login code vin's will be required...?..

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I will keep mine as there won't be any new diesel cars from VW for quite a while if ever. It will work with anything currently available. My 2003 NB is all I have at the moment and I may pick up a "fixed" TDI if the price is right later. I have helped many with many things since I bought my cable. I will continue to do so. By lowering the price more will buy their own and not need someone elses.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Lotta speculation in this thread...

Here's the thing - if a 3 VIN limited VCDS Hex-V2 floats your boat, then buy one. Same thing for the 10-VIN-Limited.

Don't try to convince me what I want - I want a non-wireless, unlimited VIN genuine VCDS cable, for which there is currently no price.

I have owned and used my Genuine Hex-Can-USB for almost a decade, and have received exceptional value from it. Whenever some noob asks about how to make their cheapy-china cable scan their car, I point them to the Ross-Tech website and tell them to go genuine, or find someone who has.

However, the architecture and capabilities are changing, and I would like to stay with the times. Given my usage, if there is an unlimited non-wireless Hex-V2, at a reasonable price, I will continue to be a Ross-Tech booster for another decade.

If my only option is a VIN limited wired cable, or an unlimited-VIN wireless I'll look at other options...

...Given my particular usage. :D

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If my only option is a VIN limited wired cable, or an unlimited-VIN wireless I'll look at other options...
A HEX-NET Pro (unlimited) wireless interface will function perfectly as an unlimited wired cable. However, (of course) you are paying for wireless capability you are not using. I would also favor an unlimited option for the V2 devices for those without need for wireless or non-Windows usage. However, my desires and what Ross-Tech does are totally unrelated.
{EDIT} Ross-Tech has now announced a "upgrade" option to change an "enthusiast" VIN limited interface (HEX-NET or HEX-V2) to a "professional" unlimited version. Cost is $169 for registered users.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Well, looks like I'll have to eventually buy a HEX-NET with USB cable...

Maybe I'll go all in and get the Pro kit with all the adapters, and, you'll notice, one of the old Hex-CAN+USB cables.

Very rare I need the old 2x2 adapter or anything, but you never know!

Realistically, I'll probably just spring for a HEX-NET and the USB cable to go with it for those times where it's safer to have a wired connection and use the original VCDS software.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
The question does beg to be asked, though, will the HEX-V2 have an upgrade option for unlimited vins? If so, how much would such a potential "unlocking" cost the end user?

purediesel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta big build ALH, NMS B7 15' Passat EA288
Do you know how to read , I make it RED for you :

The requirement to register a VIN comes when you start doing invasive stuff like coding changes, basic settings, adaptations.

Regular diagnostic stuff , like read/clear codes, Measuring block value will be available on all cars.
Wow..Good way to make yourself look like an a**..Oh and your a vendor..Way to go

The statement of "stuff like" lends one to think there may be more to it than the few items listed. It was a simple question to see a list of items, which I guess others have also been asking about. Way to blow it out of proportion. Go eat a snickers haha.

purediesel

Veteran Member
TDI
The question does beg to be asked, though, will the HEX-V2 have an upgrade option for unlimited vins? If so, how much would such a potential "unlocking" cost the end user?
Yes you can, it's an additional cost of $169 :(

purediesel

Veteran Member
TDI

Have Fun!

Don
Thank you! This is an actual helpful post! These are things that someone without a cable would not know are invasive enough and require a VIN in the new cables.

Thank you Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think that the best answer for now is that we really don't know. It is certainly possible, but it really depends on what Uwe (and crew) decide.

Yes you can, it's an additional cost of $169 :(
I believe that this is the price to upgrade a 10 VIN wireless HEX-NET to unlimited (enthusiast to pro).
I do not know if a price (or even an option) to upgrade a HEX-V2 to unlimited exists at this time. This is, of course, subject to change.
{EDIT} Ross-Tech has now announced a "upgrade" option to change an "enthusiast" VIN limited interface (HEX-NET or HEX-V2) to a "professional" unlimited version. Cost is $169 for registered users.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

purediesel

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe that this is the price to upgrade a 10 VIN wireless HEX-NET to unlimited (enthusiast to pro).
I do not know if a price (or even an option) to upgrade a HEX-V2 to unlimited exists at this time. This is, of course, subject to change.

Have Fun!

Don
Yes I think your right according to their website. I think you can upgrade a 3 VIN for $169 to a 10 VIN and a 10 VIN to unlimited for $169.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Upgrading the 3 vin to the 10 vin at $169 would be a bad use of funds - the 10 VIN is only $100 more than the 3 VIN as listed on the site if you buy it up front.

There is no listed price for an unlimited VIN V2, and there are no listed prices for upgrades to unlimited VIN V2 - just to go from 3 to 10.

If the unlimited VIN V2 was yet another $100 or $150, I could se that as a reasonable price right out the gate - $400-$450 for a current version of what I currently have would be a moderate increase over the previous pricing of the Hex-Can-USB, but would be in line with current capabilities, inflation etc.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
$469 for an upgraded to unlimited VIN cable, with purchase of upgrade

Upgrading the 3 vin to the 10 vin at $169 would be a bad use of funds - the 10 VIN is only $100 more than the 3 VIN as listed on the site if you buy it up front.

There is no listed price for an unlimited VIN V2, and there are no listed prices for upgrades to unlimited VIN V2 - just to go from 3 to 10.

If the unlimited VIN V2 was yet another $100 or $150, I could se that as a reasonable price right out the gate - $400-$450 for a current version of what I currently have would be a moderate increase over the previous pricing of the Hex-Can-USB, but would be in line with current capabilities, inflation etc.

A few posts back there was link to ROSS TECH which showed update of the 10 VIN model to unlimited for $300 for cable + $169 Upgrade = an Unlimited VIN cable....

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
A few posts back there was link to ROSS TECH which showed update of the 10 VIN model to unlimited for $300 for cable + $169 Upgrade = an Unlimited VIN cable....

No it's not.

This is the link which was posted - https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/upVIN/

Which only lists an option to go from 3 to 10 VINs. There is no option yet to go from 10 to unlimited.

If you have a specific link which has the 10-unlimited option, post it please.

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
From the page you linked:

This upgrade adds additional VINs to an Enthusiast Interface VIN limit. It is used to increase a 3 VIN device to a 10 VIN device or a 10 VIN device to an unlimited VIN device.
Also, just throwing this out there:

2004 prices: Golf TDI: $17,200 HEX-USB+CAN: $349
2015 prices: Golf TDI: $22,815 HEX-USB+CAN: $349
Difference: Golf TDI: $5,615 (+33%) HEX-USB+CAN: $0 (+0%)

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
says pretty clearly the way I read it "a 10 VIN device to an unlimited VIN device$169

No it's not.

This is the link which was posted - https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/upVIN/

Which only lists an option to go from 3 to 10 VINs. There is no option yet to go from 10 to unlimited.

If you have a specific link which has the 10-unlimited option, post it please.
It says pretty clearly the way I read it "a 10 VIN device to an unlimited VIN device with the $169 upgrade."

??Am I not reading that correctly??

Upgrade an Enthusiast Interface VIN Count
Upgrade pricing for registered VCDS (VAG-COM) users

This upgrade adds additional VINs to an Enthusiast Interface VIN limit. It is used to increase a 3 VIN device to a 10 VIN device or a 10 VIN device to an unlimited VIN device.

As with all upgrades, this upgrade is only available to licensed, registered VCDS users in good standing with Ross-Tech.

Qualifying products have the following names: HEX-V2 Enthusiast, HEX-NET Enthusiast

Item Code: UPVIN
Price: $169.00
Available for immediate delivery
Dongle Long Serial Number (from the About Screen): *

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
From the page you linked:

Also, just throwing this out there:

2004 prices: Golf TDI: $17,200 HEX-USB+CAN: $349
2015 prices: Golf TDI: $22,815 HEX-USB+CAN: $349
Difference: Golf TDI: $5,615 (+33%) HEX-USB+CAN: $0 (+0%)
Do you happen to know how much was my serial VAG-COM cable was new in ~2001??...I was trying to remember the other day and could not...

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
It says pretty clearly the way I read it "a 10 VIN device to an unlimited VIN device with the $169 upgrade."

??Am I not reading that correctly??
No you have it correctly - I was wrong.

I don't recall that option being there the first time I looked at that page, but I may be wrong on that.

Thanks for pointing it out.

At a total price of $469 for what I am looking for, it's not cheap, but then neither is R&D, so I can accept it, given I am more than an enthusiast. Plus, I could go for the 10VIN and upgrade when I run out of VINs I suppose.

Time to start saving... :D

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
Do you happen to know how much was my serial VAG-COM cable was new in ~2001??...I was trying to remember the other day and could not...
The original ISO-COM (introduced in 2000) and the later UNI-COM, which were both "dumb" single K-line serial interfaces, were priced at $199 including the VAG-COM license.

-Uwe-

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Upgrade an Enthusiast Interface VIN Count
Upgrade pricing for registered VCDS (VAG-COM) users

As with all upgrades, this upgrade is only available to licensed, registered VCDS users in good standing with Ross-Tech.

Qualifying products have the following names: HEX-V2 Enthusiast, HEX-NET Enthusiast

Item Code: UPVIN
Price: $169.00
Available for immediate delivery
Dongle Long Serial Number (from the About Screen): *
Thanks rotarykid. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I guess you could look at it like this. Seeing as how the HEX-CAN USB was at $349 for more than a decade, add in 23.6% inflation (2005 to 2016), that comes out to a little over $431.

Now, take a 10 VIN Hex-V2 at $299, add $169 for the unlimited VIN upgrade and you're at $469. Not far off the mark at all.

Enthusiasts get to save a few bucks, and those of us who rely on it heavily really are only paying a minor amount more than we would have in 2005 when adjusted for inflation. Considering the capabilities and how easy certain things Ross-Tech makes many jobs, it's still a solid bargain. My old Hex-CAN has certainly more than paid for itself many times over.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006

Here is the all answers :

What functions are not VIN-Restricted?

A VIN-Limited interface can do Auto-Scans, Clear DTCs, and look at Measuring Values on an unlimited number of cars. I think this is important because I wouldn't want to keep an enthusiast from trying to doing basic diagnostics on his friends' cars, or to use his VCDS when evaluating used cars he's contemplating buying. You wouldn't buy a used car without doing an Auto-Scan on it first, right? In addition, you can make channel maps on an unlimited number of cars because sending us those maps helps us improve the product.

What functions are VIN-Restricted?
In essence, it's those functions that actually change things in the car:

And link:
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?8869-VIN-Limited-Interface-FAQ

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Looks like the price if scanning a friends car just went from a coffee to a premium ale. :)

VCDS is a very economical tool when comparing with professional level systems. Not only that it is much better at what it does (albeit vehicle brand specific).

Ross-Tech should update the website to allow direct purchase if a VIN unlimited V2 cable. That is what I would replace my 10+ year old HEX-USB+CAN with if had to. I could justify $450, but not the $600 for the wireless. With the current CAD to USD exchange rate, that makes it almost cold hard $1000 after shipping and taxes...

Thanks Uwe for years of free software upgrades to go with the original cables and a great product!

purediesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like the price if scanning a friends car just went from a coffee to a premium ale. :)

VCDS is a very economical tool when comparing with professional level systems. Not only that it is much better at what it does (albeit vehicle brand specific).

Ross-Tech should update the website to allow direct purchase if a VIN unlimited V2 cable. That is what I would replace my 10+ year old HEX-USB+CAN with if had to. I could justify $450, but not the $600 for the wireless. With the current CAD to USD exchange rate, that makes it almost cold hard $1000 after shipping and taxes...

Thanks Uwe for years of free software upgrades to go with the original cables and a great product!
Agreed here, a bit of a discount to go straight to the unlimited VIN on the V2 would be greatly appreciated and probably make more sales.

jjvincent

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2K, Green
I started with a ISO-COM for $200 back in 2000 and a $1500 laptop. Then upgraded to a HEX-COM for $100 a few years later (probably around 2005). Turned that in for a HEX-NET and $200 recently. I run it off of my $300 laptop, iPhone and iPad. Pretty good deal. The browser/cloud based system is quite the upgrade. So, for a total of $500 over 17 years is not a bad deal.

I suggest you go and buy another type of car and you'll see that the VCDS is a steal. When I have to spend $1500 do get into the sub systems of a BMW (which is limited) or $1200 for a Fiat, the VCDS looks like a great deal.

In addition to that, it is nice to support another small business in PA. Plus, I stopped by and picked up that new HEX-NET the other day. The last time I was down there was when Uwe spent the day using my 1996 A6 and working out something with the instrument cluster. I think that was back in 2001. I did notice that the old Green Eurovan was still parked in the lot. At least it relived the old days because my silver one was parked just down from it (trust me when you see another Eurovan, that's a rare occasion).

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I started with a ISO-COM for $200 back in 2000 and a $1500 laptop. Then upgraded to a HEX-COM for $100 a few years later (probably around 2005). Turned that in for a HEX-NET and $200 recently. I run it off of my $300 laptop, iPhone and iPad. Pretty good deal. The browser/cloud based system is quite the upgrade. So, for a total of $500 over 17 years is not a bad deal.

I suggest you go and buy another type of car and you'll see that the VCDS is a steal. When I have to spend $1500 do get into the sub systems of a BMW (which is limited) or $1200 for a Fiat, the VCDS looks like a great deal.

In addition to that, it is nice to support another small business in PA. Plus, I stopped by and picked up that new HEX-NET the other day. The last time I was down there was when Uwe spent the day using my 1996 A6 and working out something with the instrument cluster. I think that was back in 2001. I did notice that the old Green Eurovan was still parked in the lot. At least it relived the old days because my silver one was parked just down from it (trust me when you see another Eurovan, that's a rare occasion).
Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!