TDI Claims Portal

Sigp232

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Passat
Offer just came in. Offer is exactly what they estimated me in September. Now the hard part NOTARY and scanning everything into a PDF and sending it back.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Offer just came in. Offer is exactly what they estimated me in September. Now the hard part NOTARY and scanning everything into a PDF and sending it back.
This bears repeating: Make certain you scan all 7 pages into a single PDF document.

Bang!

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
VW bought my Passat back this afternoon. The buyback was quick and painless and went like this...

1. They asked for my license and registration. Made copies of both.
2. They asked for completed odometer mileage form and the power of attorney form.
3. They asked for the title WITHOUT a signature on it (hence the power of attorney form).
4. They went out and took six pictures of the car (4 sides, the door label, and dash VIN).
5. Recorded the exact mileage on the odometer statement form.
6. Ten minutes later they handed me a check and asked me to speak with the VW Ambassador before leaving for good feelz.

The person performing the buyback was not a VW employee. He said he worked for Unisys and was under contract just for the buyback program. He said he did his first buyback on Tuesday the Nov. 29th (at a different dealer) and that dealers will only be offering appointment one day a week for the next few weeks but by the end of the month most should be able to take appointments M-F.

Also of interest in conversation with the Ambassador I was told the dealers have ZERO discretion or concern about the condition of the cars being returned. He said I could have spray painted it pink and he would still have to take it which is good because I was a little worried about the crappy old Jetta wheels with bald tires that I put on it for the buyback :) He said the only rule is that they need to be able to drive themselves onto the lot. If its towed in they cant take it. (or can but maybe a different deal?)

Bang!

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
One observation for everyone still waiting on VW. My brother and I submitted each of our own claims on the same day back in October. My car is already gone and he's still 'Under Review' and has been for awhile now. The only difference is that mine was fully paid off and his still has a lean. Maybe this slows things down a bit? IDK.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
One observation for everyone still waiting on VW. My brother and I submitted each of our own claims on the same day back in October. My car is already gone and he's still 'Under Review' and has been for awhile now. The only difference is that mine was fully paid off and his still has a lean. Maybe this slows things down a bit? IDK.
That's a valid observation. But since VW credit has my Passat loan, I would reject that argument if VW tried to use it on me. :p

RO-B7

TDI
2013 Black Passat TDI SE 6-sp
My whole certification process took about a month and I have a loan. I'm opting for the fix. I've known every inch of this excellent car since it had 6 miles and now 81,500 so I'll take my chances. The extra $$ will more than pay off my loan.

Rich

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
My whole certification process took about a month and I have a loan. I'm opting for the fix. I've known every inch of this excellent car since it had 6 miles and now 81,500 so I'll take my chances. The extra $$ will more than pay off my loan.

Rich
I'm guessing that the process was quick for you because you're electing to keep the car. If you choose the fix, they don't reimburse you until the fix is approved and you have it done. I'm also guessing that since you're keeping the car, forgiving the loan isn't a concern for VWoA. For those of us with outstanding loans who intend to return our cars, it seems that there are additional steps. I'm patient... as long as nothing else breaks. I'll feel better when I start hearing about people with loans making their appointments.

Byrontxr

TDI
Jetta Sportwagon
Rich,

Be aware that the repairs on TDIs start around 85,000 to 90,000 miles. Our 2009 Sportwagon was essentially trouble free until then. In quick succession there was $1,500 for a faulty panoramic sunroof that still has not been fixed right and leaks. Then there was the intake manifold which failed and then a thousand plus dollars, then the electrics to the headlights started developing a glitch which we have not had fixed because the estimated bill was $600 plus. Not to tell you what to do, but I'd look at the buyback very carefully. We got into the diesel thinking that they were almost bulletproof; what we have found is that they are not any more reliable than a gasoline engine or apparently long lived. A few people get good ones that do have durability equivalent to a diesel truck or semi, but many are used up even with proper maintenance by 120,0 00 to 250,000 miles. We have owned five Japanese cars, Toyotas and Hondas, and major repairs seem to start at between 120000 and 160000 miles with proper maintenance. Given the delays in this buyback, the lack of communications, and the obvious quality control issues that many VW owners are reporting I think I am headed to a Mazda next. An economy car with Mercedes Benz or Porsche level repair bills is not what I bargained for.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Rich,

Be aware that the repairs on TDIs start around 85,000 to 90,000 miles. Our 2009 Sportwagon was essentially trouble free until then. In quick succession there was $1,500 for a faulty panoramic sunroof that still has not been fixed right and leaks. Then there was the intake manifold which failed and then a thousand plus dollars, then the electrics to the headlights started developing a glitch which we have not had fixed because the estimated bill was $600 plus. Not to tell you what to do, but I'd look at the buyback very carefully. We got into the diesel thinking that they were almost bulletproof; what we have found is that they are not any more reliable than a gasoline engine or apparently long lived. A few people get good ones that do have durability equivalent to a diesel truck or semi, but many are used up even with proper maintenance by 120,0 00 to 250,000 miles. We have owned five Japanese cars, Toyotas and Hondas, and major repairs seem to start at between 120000 and 160000 miles with proper maintenance. Given the delays in this buyback, the lack of communications, and the obvious quality control issues that many VW owners are reporting I think I am headed to a Mazda next. An economy car with Mercedes Benz or Porsche level repair bills is not what I bargained for.

I agree 100% with the poor quality control on the NMS but like Rich, I'm keeping mine (doing the 80K DSG service today) I do intend to delete + Tune if things get really unreliable but with wife drives soooo much nothing else can compare in size and economy. We may buy a cheap used SUV for snowy days and use that if the nms is down for a week or two. I checked the oil last night just to make sure it was on the full mark like it has always been prior to the oil change, and it was below the low mark hmmm :(

Last edited:

Deezil_n_Dachs

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
We're officially former TDi owners. The dealership took possession yesterday afternoon. We were about 20 minutes early for our appointment, but they took us anyway. As someone stated before, they verifed milage and took some photos. We signed two papers, and got an email receipt for the exact amount that was quoted months ago. As we were wrapping things up, another person was pulling in for his appointment, an hour early! I heard one of the salesmen say that the guy called and said he hadn't driven it for 3 months and the battery was dead. He took one from something else to get it running.
We were the 2nd appointment of the day, and couldn't be more pleased with how it ended. One glitch was that for some reason they weren't able to print a copy of the receipt, and they were looking into getting that corrected.

It's been good knowing you all. Good luck with whichever method you chose.
I have some goods to sell, winter tires and wheels, Vagcom cable, etc. Hit me up if you're interested (via private message please)

Last edited:

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
We're officially former TDi owners. The dealership took possession yesterday afternoon. We were about 20 minutes early for our appointment, but they took us anyway. As someone stated before, they verifed milage and took some photos. We signed two papers, and got an email receipt for the exact amount that was quoted months ago. As we were wrapping things up, another person was pulling in for his appointment, an hour early! I heard one of the salesmen say that the guy called and said he hadn't driven it for 3 months and the battery was dead. He took one from something else to get it running.
We were the 2nd appointment of the day, and couldn't be more pleased with how it ended. One glitch was that for some reason they weren't able to print a copy of the receipt, and they were looking into getting that corrected.

It's been good knowing you all. Good luck with whichever method you chose.
I have some goods to sell, winter tires and wheels, Vagcom cable, etc. Hit me up if you're interested (via private message please)
Sounds like the ending procedure is pretty buttoned down. One question; did you have a loan on your car, and if you did, was it with Volkswagen Credit or a third party?

Deezil_n_Dachs

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Sounds like the ending procedure is pretty buttoned down. One question; did you have a loan on your car, and if you did, was it with Volkswagen Credit or a third party?
No sir, we didn't have a loan. And we had opted for the electronic transfer, which may explain the email receipt.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
What happens if my mileage is lower than the amount IMO put in he initial estimate?

I believe I will end up in a lower mileage bracket. Will they adjust this for me at the time of return??

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What happens if my mileage is lower than the amount IMO put in he initial estimate?

I believe I will end up in a lower mileage bracket. Will they adjust this for me at the time of return??
I would assume so. Everything up until the actual moment of buyback is approximate, right? It is the ACTUAL mileage at turn-in that is important.
Good for you!

razorrod

TDI
Passat SEL
How long did you wait for the settlement papers, after your documents were accepted on step 15?

Byrontxr

TDI
Jetta Sportwagon
I contacted the Cabrasser law firm today as neither VW, or the FTC are releasing information on what is going on with claim resolution. One of their attorneys sent me a copy of FIRST REPORT OF INDEPENDENT CLAIMS SUPERVISOR ON VOLKSWAGEN’S PROGRESS AND COMPLIANCE RELATED TO RESOLUTION AGREEMENTS ENTERED OCTOBER 25, 2016. This details as of late November the status of their attempted resolution. The report is about 50 pages in length. If anyone has an interest I would be glad to upload it if there is a way to upload it on this forum?

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I contacted the Cabrasser law firm today as neither VW, or the FTC are releasing information on what is going on with claim resolution. One of their attorneys sent me a copy of FIRST REPORT OF INDEPENDENT CLAIMS SUPERVISOR ON VOLKSWAGEN’S PROGRESS AND COMPLIANCE RELATED TO RESOLUTION AGREEMENTS ENTERED OCTOBER 25, 2016. This details as of late November the status of their attempted resolution. The report is about 50 pages in length. If anyone has an interest I would be glad to upload it if there is a way to upload it on this forum?
Byron
If you use the Tapatalk app it has an attachment feature to where you can attach files.
If not do you have Google drive or drop box? You can post a shareable link to the file.

If you want email it to me and I can post here. I'll send u a pm with my email

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I plan to let VW buyback the wife's sportwagen near the end of the program in 2018. I don't see any reason not since the buyback amount appears to be the same whether I do it now or wait the two years. It's like driving a car for free (no devaluation).

Am missing something here?

I also plan to keep my Passat but that POBD code that keeps popping up is SERIOUSLY annoying.

c-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
North American Passat 2012 TDI SEL (bought back march 2018)
There is depreciation...

You lose money as function of the miles. So check how many miles you think it will be driven, and correct the buyback for it. Agreed, the reduction in value might be less than the one if the car was not under buyback, if your wife does not drive a lot...

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
My father watched as I did the 80K oil & DSG service today, he questioned my choice in taking the fix- after watching me wrestle out the battery box and airbox. He said "you know my chevy has a spin on trans filter that I can reach from under the rear door" I don't think he was very impressed with the oil and trans filter locations much
Hmmm :confused: 21K and search for another rig or cash and motor on?? :eek:

Passat15

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE - Sold to VW
I emailed the Chief Operating Officer Friday (someone posted a link a few pages back to his email address). He responded about an hours later and said he would look into my delay. Yesterday, I got a call from the claims department apologizing. They said they were really backed up, but would try to get me a final offer soon. we'll see.
fwiw - mine is financed through VW

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I plan to let VW buyback the wife's sportwagen near the end of the program in 2018. I don't see any reason not since the buyback amount appears to be the same whether I do it now or wait the two years. It's like driving a car for free (no devaluation).

Am I missing something here?
There is no free ride here. While the buyback amount is a fixed value they will deduct miles driven. The more miles you put on it by 2018, the less you will get in buyback money. Figure out about how many miles you expect to put on it by 2018 and run that number thru the buyback calculator to see what the estimated payout will be. You are correct in that the buyback amount is locked in but again, the buyback program deducts for miles driven which will reduce the amount paid to you if you turn in the vehicle.

Bottom line here - want the maximum buyback amount? Turn it in ASAP or park it until 2018 then turn it in. Any miles you put on it between now and turn in day will reduce the buyback amount you receive.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For those of you trying to get a response from upper mgmt at VWoA:

You're trying to get an aircraft carrier to maneuver around a fishing boat in its path. Good luck.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
There is no free ride here. While the buyback amount is a fixed value they will deduct miles driven. The more miles you put on it by 2018, the less you will get in buyback money. Figure out about how many miles you expect to put on it by 2018 and run that number thru the buyback calculator to see what the estimated payout will be. You are correct in that the buyback amount is locked in but again, the buyback program deducts for miles driven which will reduce the amount paid to you if you turn in the vehicle.
Bottom line here - want the maximum buyback amount? Turn it in ASAP or park it until 2018 then turn it in. Any miles you put on it between now and turn in day will reduce the buyback amount you receive.
Ah I see. I thought they had a built in number of miles per year that you could drive the car and as long as you didn't exceed that amount the buyback stayed the same. Sounded too good. Thanks 251 an c-wagen

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Ah I see. I thought they had a built in number of miles per year that you could drive the car and as long as you didn't exceed that amount the buyback stayed the same. Sounded too good. Thanks 251 an c-wagen
There is a built in number of miles per month that you can drive that will not change the amount of the buyback, 1042 miles/month.

Byrontxr

TDI
Jetta Sportwagon
Which makes no sense for the 1st gen cars without the add Blue. By all accounts they will be far too costly to reengineer and will be parted out and crushed. While the mileage charges will affect TDIs, in my opinion the greatest problem is that the vehicle must be driven into the dealer. If you have multiple high hundred to thousands of dollars in repairs to keep the car driveable, which are common, you're more screwed than by the mileage. Over 80,000 miles tdi,'s are prone to expensive repairs. Personal experience.

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
Just finished the buy-back

Our 2010 Jetta and 2013 Passat were bought back earlier today. The process for both cars together took less than 20 minutes.

I was not asked to show my ID or registration, and after final sales papers were signed and the title was handed over we went out to the cars where several pictures were made. Then I was transferred to a guy from the dealership to remove the license plates and I handed over the keys.

Done.

About 10 minutes after signing I received an separate email receipt of the transaction for each car. Now I'm waiting for a second email to input my account info for the electronic fund transfer.

PS: For the 2013 Passat I received almost exactly the new-car purchase price from 3 years ago.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
You are correct, they are wrong.