It will be a rude awakening for VW and the EPA...

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
... when they realize that way fewer people will turn in their cars if they can't buy a new or fixed TDI.
I for one don't see the timeline of this whole thing working out very well for them, with the Gen3 fix coming last - if at all-, and no new TDIs in sight.
A lot of us who registered for the buyback in hopes of swapping the car for a fixed 2015 TDI (I've kind of given up hope on a swap for a new alltrack TDI, although that is what VW ought to do to make things right) might end up just keeping our Gen1 TDIs. That will lead to a whole lot of penalty to pay for VW, and not the outcome the EPA/CARB were hoping for either. There's just no other replacement vehicle out there if we apply the same criteria that lead us to our TDI in the first place just a few years ago. I mean, why would I buy a crappy not fun to drive car now that I decided against just four years ago ? To please VW ? Or the EPA ?? I don't think so.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
In the future, if I can't buy a TDI, I'll buy a one ton diesel truck, like a Dodge Ram 3500 with a Cummins 6.7L engine.

It will practically clean the air as I drive it around.

Roishe Cheng

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Most of the people that own TDI's, the financials are in their favor to turn their cars in, get a check and hop into something else. That was the whole rationale behind the judge stating to VW that the settlement has to be attractive enough to compel owners to turn their cars in. I think the % of owners you're referring to in your comment are a tiny fraction and won't even be noticed.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Despite some of the sentiment shared here...they (VW, EPA, and CARB) are going to have no problem getting people to turn their cars in and take the money.

People are going to take VW up on the buyback because they're objective people that made a sound/logical decision to purchase the cars based on the information that was available at the time. That same thought process is why they're going to turn their cars in and get $5k+ more than they're worth.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I did a search for VW TDI's on eBay yesterday and people are listing 2010-2011 sport wagons with salvage titles for almost $12k. I traded my wife's JSW TDI on the Passat 2 years ago and the blue book price on it was $14k then. We bought a replacement already, but it's an Audi TDI. We're getting a good price on the Passat and upgrading for not much more because the Q5 TDI prices have been low.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I will sell back ,but at the last time period 2 yrs out. Love the car,but selling back for a crazy price is a must. I'll go for a MB or BMW Wagon when the time comes . CPO low mileage type.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
A lot of people here are hanging on to them. And the OP hit the nail on the head as to the reason why: they simply cannot be replaced, with anything. There really is nothing that you can buy, at a Volkswagen dealer or elsewhere, that checks all the boxes the TDI does. Especially models like the Passat, Golf, and Sportwagon, and double especially if they have a manual gearbox.

If someone said they'd buy my house for 10% more than it is worth, but I HAD to move into a smaller house and/or one in a poorer neighborhood if I did, I'd pass.

Now if, for whatever reason, you do not like the car then obviously it is in your best interest to use this as an opportunity to part ways. And in most every case you'll come away feeling good. But if you like the car, and you have come to the conclusion that many of us have come to a long time ago that there is far more to life than money, then the choice is pretty clear. And, if you feel that NOx is more important than PM, HC, CO, CO2, etc. and you are OK with [in most cases] replacing your car with something that puts more of all those other pollutants into the air while [in most cases] using more fuel, then the choice is also clear.

A friend of mine (and poster here) likened this to dragging a $20 bill through a trailer park, just to see who will come out chasing it. Surprisingly, we seem to have a lot of chasers here. Which, as he put it, seems odd because it isn't exactly like new TDI buyers are "poor" to begin with.

But hey, the Vanagon never sold in huge numbers here, and the Cash for Clunkers program removed quite a few of them from our roads... and now these years later the remaining Vanagons are often selling for more than they did when they were new and the ~$3k that some folks got for them seems insignificant when that same van would be now worth more than whatever new car they traded it in for at the time. :p

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I disagree with the OP's premise. As with so many things discussed in connection with these cars, individual cases differ, but I think it's clear what will happen. Yes, there are some people who are TDI devotees, or who are young enough to "bond" with a car, who will keep their Dieselgatemobile. But if the comments I've seen in the threads in this forum are representative of the whole, the large majority of these cars will be turned in for the buyback.
We like our Passat TDI -a lot- but I'm 72 and can't get attached to a vehicle the way I could when I was 22, or 32. Maybe that change finally happened when our car of choice (SAAB) went away 5 years ago. Whatever. All I know is that somebody's going to give us close to what I paid new for a car after 5 years and (est.) 70-80K.
Then there's the reality that we are going to be putting fewer miles on any car in the upcoming years, so- we're doing the buyback.

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
In the future, if I can't buy a TDI, I'll buy a one ton diesel truck, like a Dodge Ram 3500 with a Cummins 6.7L engine.

It will practically clean the air as I drive it around.
HAHA yes I am hoping to secure a diesel Unimog in the near future

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
A lot of people here are hanging on to them. And the OP hit the nail on the head as to the reason why: they simply cannot be replaced, with anything. There really is nothing that you can buy, at a Volkswagen dealer or elsewhere, that checks all the boxes the TDI does. Especially models like the Passat, Golf, and Sportwagon, and double especially if they have a manual gearbox.

If someone said they'd buy my house for 10% more than it is worth, but I HAD to move into a smaller house and/or one in a poorer neighborhood if I did, I'd pass.

Now if, for whatever reason, you do not like the car then obviously it is in your best interest to use this as an opportunity to part ways. And in most every case you'll come away feeling good. But if you like the car, and you have come to the conclusion that many of us have come to a long time ago that there is far more to life than money, then the choice is pretty clear. And, if you feel that NOx is more important than PM, HC, CO, CO2, etc. and you are OK with [in most cases] replacing your car with something that puts more of all those other pollutants into the air while [in most cases] using more fuel, then the choice is also clear.

A friend of mine (and poster here) likened this to dragging a $20 bill through a trailer park, just to see who will come out chasing it. Surprisingly, we seem to have a lot of chasers here. Which, as he put it, seems odd because it isn't exactly like new TDI buyers are "poor" to begin with.

But hey, the Vanagon never sold in huge numbers here, and the Cash for Clunkers program removed quite a few of them from our roads... and now these years later the remaining Vanagons are often selling for more than they did when they were new and the ~$3k that some folks got for them seems insignificant when that same van would be now worth more than whatever new car they traded it in for at the time. :p

I just recently bought a 2010 Passat gasser. I know I won't be able to get the same overall longevity out of it, but so far everything has been just as good. MPG is not exactly the same, but it is damn good. I am getting 39mpg on perfect days and 34 on windy days. My 2009 TDI did 40 - 42 depending on the day. Winter was less at 38-40.

The Volvo V60 I bought my wife, is the same way. 37 mpg easy, often times over that.. and quality is above the VW.

I still love the TDI's, and I actually tried to find a replacement, but came up empty. I am doing the buy back strictly for financial reasons.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
An observation, many bought when gas was $4 a gallon, seeing this purely as a cheaper fuel option play, or a higher MPG option that wasn't a prius. They didn't really care about the fact it was a diesel, they didn't care about longevity, look at the number of leases on the things if you doubt that, and this was just the next in a long succession of forgettable cars they would be in for 3-6 years, then move on.

We happen to be at the end of that time to move on period for lots of those new to TDIs folks that bought in 09-10, the fact that this trade they make out better than the last car they swapped, great, where do I sign they say.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
I'm in the same buyer category as the original poster. I bought my VW JSW TDI because I have a deep rooted appreciation for the performance, fuel economy, longevity, and other practical advantages of the cars.

For me it was not simply another choice among many, a cheaper alternative, or because of actual or predicted gasoline prices.

I value turbo diesel powered cars and trucks. I've been a "car guy" since I was a small child but in my old age my preferences have evolved from high performance V8s to more practical vehicles. Econoboxes and electric go carts simply don't don't satisfy my wants and needs. Others make their choices for other reasons which is fine by me.

My replacement choice was another VW group TDI.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
I think it's wiser to buy a gas powered JSW. Besides that, VW really won't be materially affected if less than 85% are turned in. They'll just pay the fine of effectively ~$17k each, instead of paying 13-30k for the car.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
To extend that analogy, I'm going to move into a bigger (SUV) house in a neighborhood that has a pool and tennis courts and nicer amenities (electronics from the 21st Century and a more comfortable interior), with the trade-off being higher property taxes (lower MPG). And the neighborhood I bought this house in isn't as nice as I'd thought it would be (getting about 35 MPG because of where I drive rather than the 40+ people with long commutes get), and... OK, I have no idea how to work this into an analogy, but my vehicle's value is also compromised by an accident that I had that caused about $4200 in damage and would harm my selling/trade-in value. :D There's no way I could move into that neighborhood if way more money weren't being thrown at me for my current house than it's worth, so I'm jumping on it.

So yeah, there are absolutely going to be people for whom only a TDI will tick the boxes for what they want or need, but there are also going to be a lot of people that are now able to move onto something better for them.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Most of the people that own TDI's, the financials are in their favor to turn their cars in, get a check and hop into something else. That was the whole rationale behind the judge stating to VW that the settlement has to be attractive enough to compel owners to turn their cars in. I think the % of owners you're referring to in your comment are a tiny fraction and won't even be noticed.
Ditto.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
I think that people will grab money. And then all cry foul when fuel prices go up after they relinquish the vehicle they bought for fuel mileage. I am keeping mine, but thats because I dont see the economy of giving the cars back, collecting money...and using the money to buy a lesser car....doesnt make sense for me. Others will see the value...but I dont. In fact many are giving the vehicle back, taking the money and adding money to get something else...no economy in that...just a choice. And if thats true, then fine...they wanted a more expensive car and this is the way they can afford it.

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Executive TDi

Disagree - respectfully. I currently have a 2011 Jetta TDI, Sedan w/6MT. I'm getting approximately $15.5k for this car.

I bought a 2010 BMW 335d with MSport for $14k, and immediately had it tuned and deleted.

The BMW is superior to the VW in every way - except one. Mileage.

I get ~ 48 in my TDi, and I'm getting ~ 40 in the 335d.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
The buyback could fall apart, fuel prices skyrocket, etc....

I've done the numbers on a lot of scenarios, and assuming I can replace my '13 JSW with another diesel car, the buyback works way better for me than keeping. Even if I have to give up the 40 MPG diesel for a 30 MPG TSI, at $3 a gallon or less the buyback profits more than compensate for the lost MPG.

But that scenario isn't set in stone. All it takes is a war somewhere between us and oil to make fuel goes back to $4 a gallon, maybe more. What if a decent replacement small wagon isn't available? VW's Golf, Jetta, and Passat reliability has been falling, per Consumer Reports. Subaru is having problems with their CVTs and fuel manual options. And while the market is littered with small sedans and SUV, they're aren't a whole lot of hatches and small wagons available... If a couple hundred thousand TDI owners turn in their TDIs in the next few months and go shopping for something similar, small wagons and hatches will be hard to find at MSRP even. VW could also accidentally or unintentionally make the buyback process difficult- the TDI settlement website is already having trouble keeping up, same with the 800 number. And if VW starts denying buybacks because the title paperwork is smudged or dog eared, a lot of people will just give up and keep their TDIs.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
People with a lot of mileage on older vehicles or people with 2015's might be reluctant to turn them in. But when they are paying me 2k more than my buy new price for my 2013 it will be hard to resist. I am in no hurry to do buy back and doing my 30k service today. Also making a payment tomorrow. Every month I wait my cash in hand goes up. 17,500 tomorrow, 18k December3rd. 18500 January 3rd. Quite the deal.

nattyboh2027

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I've done the numbers on a lot of scenarios, and assuming I can replace my '13 JSW with another diesel car, the buyback works way better for me than keeping. Even if I have to give up the 40 MPG diesel for a 30 MPG TSI, at $3 a gallon or less the buyback profits more than compensate for the lost MPG.

But that scenario isn't set in stone. All it takes is a war somewhere between us and oil to make fuel goes back to $4 a gallon, maybe more. What if a decent replacement small wagon isn't available? VW's Golf, Jetta, and Passat reliability has been falling, per Consumer Reports. Subaru is having problems with their CVTs and fuel manual options. And while the market is littered with small sedans and SUV, they're aren't a whole lot of hatches and small wagons available... If a couple hundred thousand TDI owners turn in their TDIs in the next few months and go shopping for something similar, small wagons and hatches will be hard to find at MSRP even. VW could also accidentally or unintentionally make the buyback process difficult- the TDI settlement website is already having trouble keeping up, same with the 800 number. And if VW starts denying buybacks because the title paperwork is smudged or dog eared, a lot of people will just give up and keep their TDIs.
Well said. Many scenarios that we can use the buyback money for. It's unfortunate that any scenario we choose, the economics of gas prices will forever be up in the air as it changes so much. Economically speaking, an electric car sounds good but by personal driving preference, I know I'm going to hate the performance, range, and feeling shaky on reliability.

oilhammer

TDI
Disagree - respectfully. I currently have a 2011 Jetta TDI, Sedan w/6MT. I'm getting approximately $15.5k for this car.
I bought a 2010 BMW 335d with MSport for $14k, and immediately had it tuned and deleted.
The BMW is superior to the VW in every way - except one. Mileage.
I get ~ 48 in my TDi, and I'm getting ~ 40 in the 335d.

I was speaking of new vehicles, sorry. But you are clearly of the mantra that there is more to life than money, as you just purchased a used BMW! Those are neat cars, but man did they tank fast in value from new if you only gave $14k for one... WOW. :eek:

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
A lot of people here are hanging on to them.

I agree only because you wrote "here"

This is a diesel forum made up of long time fans

I am not a diesel or VW loyalist. I will be selling mine back as soon as they tell me to, and I'm guessing there are many more like me out there.

oilhammer

TDI
Sorry (once again :eek: ) when I typed "here" I meant "here in my geographic locale with regards to people I routinely see/know/talk to that own these cars".

There are certainly plenty that will be taking advantage of the buyback, but not everyone.

In some cases, their cars have enough miles put on them that the value is too low to even make any economical sense. Many of my CR customers have 250k miles on their cars already, a few even have over 300k. And some purchased them AFTER the whole fiasco started and did some mods to them to insure they stay working indefinitely...I did just that for nearly a dozen people.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
Sorry (once again :eek: ) when I typed "here" I meant "here in my geographic locale with regards to people I routinely see/know/talk to that own these cars".

There are certainly plenty that will be taking advantage of the buyback, but not everyone.

In some cases, their cars have enough miles put on them that the value is too low to even make any economical sense. Many of my CR customers have 250k miles on their cars already, a few even have over 300k. And some purchased them AFTER the whole fiasco started and did some mods to them to insure they stay working indefinitely...I did just that for nearly a dozen people.

If the gen 1 fix is simple and doesn't really affect the performance or mileage that much (due to not having to meet the emissions standards), I would probably take the $ to fix it too

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
And if thats true, then fine...they wanted a more expensive car and this is the way they can afford it.
This was my thinking. Cars (and indeed pretty much any purchase) are not totally logical purchases. There's an emotional aspect as well. I enjoyed my JSW (still do, for a few more weeks), but the money being offered is more than I'd ever get for it. I viewed it as an opportunity to try something further up the food chain, and so far, I'm liking it.

Not everything in life has to be purely rational. I got my car because I like it, for a wide variety of reasons.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
A ridiculous analogy...but pretty accurate I'd say.

There is one scenario that it doesn't work - late model cars with DSGs. A 2014 Sportwagen DSG will get a buyback of over $30k if optioned correctly. Meanwhile, the first batch of 2014 BMW 328d, X3d, and Mercedes E, GLK are also coming off those who opted for a 2 year lease. Shopping around you can find a 2014 328d in the mid 20s, and X3 for high 20s-low 30s. In these scenarios you are upgrading for free.

To re-analogize - two houses are built, you get to have the 4 bedroom house for the price of the two bedroom house, BUT, you need to live in the 2 bedroom for a few years first. :)

Last edited:

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
actually, you're not getting 15.5k for the car.

You are getting roughly 10k for the car and 5k settlement. You would get the 5k whether you kept it or not. there would be more money if you had got the 5k and sold the car separately to a 3rd party.

IMO the best play to maximize the money in a sellback scenario would be to drive it for 2 more years (essentially depreciation free) and THEN sell it back.

But even then it may be more profitable to just take the fix money and sell it to a private party. If it's anything like the 2005 passats and other PD's then these cars will actually appreciate in price after the realization sinks in that "day ain't makin dem inna moar"

BTW gratz on the BMW

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
If the gen 1 fix is simple and doesn't really affect the performance or mileage that much (due to not having to meet the emissions standards), I would probably take the $ to fix it too

Not for nothing, but way back when this first came out, some folks here were thinking an emissions waiver made the most sense on gen 1 cars. That's pretty much what happened. VW will clean it up a bit, but it still won't meet standards.

oilhammer

TDI
A ridiculous analogy...but pretty accurate I'd say.

There is one scenario that it doesn't work - late model cars with DSGs. A 2014 Sportwagen DSG will get a buyback of over $30k if optioned correctly. Meanwhile, the first batch of 2014 BMW 328d, X3d, and Mercedes E, GLK are also coming off those who opted for a 2 year lease. Shopping around you can find a 2014 328d in the mid 20s, and X3 for high 20s-low 30s. In these scenarios you are upgrading for free.

To re-analogize - two houses are built, you get to have the 4 bedroom house for the price of the two bedroom house, BUT, you need to live in the 2 bedroom for a few years first. :)
...and 5 years down the road??? Sorry, I just tend to be a little less hasty and reactionary. It may seem like an "upgrade for free" right now, but seriously how many people who could afford a new $25k Volkswagen could have afforded a new $50k BMW? And of those, who could afford to maintain one?

I get it, I am not comparing a 5-series to a Jetta in the caliber of car department, but don't think for a second that a used car is any less of a car to take care of long term. I have this discussion a lot with people, most recently someone whose butthole turned inside out when presented with the cost of a new headlight bulb in his Audi A8L. Well, the car may be a decade old, and it may only be worth $XXXXX, but it is STILL a ~$90k car in my book, and thus the $250+ headlight bulb change (HID, bumper cover with its TWENTY PIN connector wiring harness needs to come off) doesn't seem too crazy.

And that is where I think some of the "I upgraded from a Jetta to a 5-series" crowd may be in for a rude awakening when the control arms need to be replaced, or the run flat tires need to be replaced, or really any of the wallet emptying things that some of the more expensive cars may need to stay in service come up.

It is a constant struggle here (meaning, here at our shop, not on this forum) for the champagne lifestyle on a beer budget mantra that a lot of people find themselves slipping into. I hope most Volkswagen owners are a little more level headed about this, and I do think they are. But there are some that are not.

A friend of mine once said "There is no such thing as a cheap Mercedes" and he is probably right.

Last edited:

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
oilhammer, very true words. I keep eyeing the "upgrade" vehicle options and my hubby keeps talking me out of them because of the cost of parts and maintenance. I am trying to keep the TCO in mind.
Cost isn't everything, but I would be remiss if I didn't take both the initial and ongoing costs into account.
For me, I had originally wanted to keep my TDI, until I saw what they were going to pay me for it. I get to "start over" in another new car and so basically extend the "new car" experience by a couple years. I intend to keep my next car, barring any scandals or recalls, for a very long time.
Now I just have to figure out which car...but that's a story for another thread.
My mom keeps trying to put me into a CPO Subaru, but I am not convinced that I want somebody else's farts embedded in the seats of my new ride. It was bad enough that my NEW Jetta was driven from San Antonio to Austin and arrived with 3 or 400 miles already on it, somebody else's ketchup stains on the door, and a Subway route plugged into the GPS.

-T.