VW Won't Attempt to Regain Diesel Leadership in US; Many TDI Models May Never Return

jmanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium - gone
Regarding Subie's and CVTs, they have had SO MANY problems with them they recently started a new remanufacturing program for them, 2010-present models.
Considering a Subaru Outback, and wasn't aware of their CVT issues. I was under the impression they were successful with this tranny, in contrast to others such as Nissan and MB? Would like to know more.

altern8energy

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI. 2001 Jetta TDI
If you have a 2009 VW Jetta TDI with 159K miles and you've found a dealership that has a number of stop sale 2015 VW Jetta and Passat TDIs that supposedly will be available for sale at the end of the year after a fix is applied (ECU software flash) with a possible deep discount at under $20K, would you take the BuyBack and upgrade??

According to VW's settlement website, a value of approx $12K is what my Jetta TDI is worth..

I've spent over $5K in out of warranty repairs since 2011.

1) Turbo Assembly due to Wastegate diaphragm. (2011) $2000

2) Throttle position sensor, 3 door locking units that wouldn't arm alarm or unlock. (2014) $1300

2A) Complete HPFP and fuel system replaced at VW expense after car wouldn't start after having the throttle position sensor replaced. a $7K cost. (2014)

3) Complete AC system replaced in 2015, which I thought was just a RCV.. (2015) $2000

Not sure what else can go out.. Dual Mass Flywheel on a DSG tranny??? A $2200 repair?

I'm getting a vibration between 40MPH and 60MPH.. Lead Tech thinks it's a CV joint on the passenger side. Recommendation is to replace the whole half shaft with both the outboard and inboard CV joints being new for $500. I'd do it myself if I had the tools, but I don't...

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I am trying to see what it takes to get a 2015 TDI, since my Sprinter seems to be on indefinite hold.... but just like the MB dealer, the Volkswagen dealer seems unable to provide any concrete answers. Very frustrating.

The other thing is the 2015s with manuals seem to be exceedingly rare. While pretty much all the cars have a long list of people wanting to buy them, the manuals are the most coveted, and the dealers know this, and are not likely to be making any awesome deals for buyers on those cars.

I really wish my '10 had three pedals. :(

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Regarding the Sprinter, was there a reason why the full-size Transit wouldn't work for you?

AFAIK, you can actually get one of those in a diesel, as in they're on dealer lots.

oilhammer

TDI
Regarding the Sprinter, was there a reason why the full-size Transit wouldn't work for you?

AFAIK, you can actually get one of those in a diesel, as in they're on dealer lots.

Well first, having had the opportunity to service both of these models on numerous occasions, the Sprinter is a superior vehicle in pretty much every way. Better built, with better attention to fitment of the components, easier to service, sturdier suspension and steering, FAR better brakes, and more room inside.

All Sprinters (sold here currently) are diesels, so it is not an extra cost option to get. Ford wants over $7k for the diesel engine option. The low roof Transit is not tall enough, so I have to step up to the medium roof. And the short wheelbase Transit is shorter than the standard wheelbase Sprinter, so I have to step up to the longer wheelbase Transit, which also means stepping up to the heavier GVWR (so instead of a "250" it becomes a "350").

The diesel in the Transit has an extra cylinder I do not need. But I would since I'd now be asking it to move a small schoolbus. The Transit's standard electrical system is not sufficient for the wheelchair lift requirements, so that requires an extra cost upfit. Sprinter's standard alternator and battery combo meets the lift company's requirements.

So, I can buy a $41k Sprinter that is large enough, more durable, more reliable, and more efficient... or I can buy a $48k Transit that is larger than I really need.

Oh, and there are NOT any Transits on any lots like I want. It would have to be ordered and custom built. And then I am back to square one.

If I cannot get confirmation on a Sprinter build by Jan 1, I will be shopping for a slightly used one that almost certainly will not be equipped the way I want it, but I really need something larger.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
manual trannies and Trannies...

Graham VW in Sioux Falls has a new '15 GSW in S trim with manual transmission in their "TDI ghetto".

As a Ford stockholder, sorry to hear that Ford can't produce a Transit specced to your needs. Ford is usually pretty good at speccing trucks to up fitter's needs, I'm surprised they can't find a Transit to meet your needs. Could be that they have a pool of Transits spec'd for an up fitter that you could access. Of course, the simple answer would be to just go to an up fitter that builds wheelchair accessible buses and buy one, but I'm sure you could save a lot by DIYing the conversion. Just be careful as you are in making sure the van is properly spec'd for the use, Ford got burned by companies building Econoline chassis cabs intended to carry a cargo van body into ambulances and paratransit busses years ago, and will void the warranty if anyone tries to pull that scam off again. Might want to check with Daimler and make sure the Sprinter meets their approval for the application you're considering.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If you have a 2009 VW Jetta TDI with 159K miles and you've found a dealership that has a number of stop sale 2015 VW Jetta and Passat TDIs that supposedly will be available for sale at the end of the year after a fix is applied (ECU software flash) with a possible deep discount at under $20K, would you take the BuyBack and upgrade??

According to VW's settlement website, a value of approx $12K is what my Jetta TDI is worth..

I've spent over $5K in out of warranty repairs since 2011.

1) Turbo Assembly due to Wastegate diaphragm. (2011) $2000

2) Throttle position sensor, 3 door locking units that wouldn't arm alarm or unlock. (2014) $1300

2A) Complete HPFP and fuel system replaced at VW expense after car wouldn't start after having the throttle position sensor replaced. a $7K cost. (2014)

3) Complete AC system replaced in 2015, which I thought was just a RCV.. (2015) $2000

Not sure what else can go out.. Dual Mass Flywheel on a DSG tranny??? A $2200 repair?

I'm getting a vibration between 40MPH and 60MPH.. Lead Tech thinks it's a CV joint on the passenger side. Recommendation is to replace the whole half shaft with both the outboard and inboard CV joints being new for $500. I'd do it myself if I had the tools, but I don't...
I would take the buyback, but I wouldn't pay for a 2015.

These cars have been sitting on lots for over a year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd0QgHuAotQ
It all depends on "IF" they discount those 15s. I might consider it and replace the JSW if I can do it for under $7000 over my buyback. That would mean they have to come down at least $5000 off the sticker and I don't see that happening.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
VW's site and most dealer's don't list them...

I just walked the "TDI ghetto" and took note of what they had. Other dealer near me in Mankato, MN has some manual Golfs and several GSW, but think they're all automatics.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I wouldn't consider Mankato and Sioux Falls as being "close", but maybe I've been in the big city too long. I have four VW dealers within 30 miles of me and I have to drive by the closest one to get to the other three.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
My understanding is that Subaru discontinued the Legacy wagon in Canada a few years back (and in the U.S. a couple years before that), leaving the Outback as the only wagon available in North America built on the Legacy platform.
You are correct. They dropped the regular Legacy wagon a couple of years ago, and only the Outback remains.

They may classify it however they like but the Outback is a wagon IMO.
I agree.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well first,
Ah, now I see. I misunderstood your needs. I thought you were waiting on the Sprinter for a work vehicle. Now that I understand that it is a family vehicle, I see you frustration. I have a friend that works for MB. if I see him tonight, I'll ask if he has any information on the diesel situation. Last week he told me that I was confused about MB not offering new diesels right now. That it was just that they had the plant oversold on diesels so they were not taking any orders.

oilhammer

TDI
Ah, now I see. I misunderstood your needs. I thought you were waiting on the Sprinter for a work vehicle. Now that I understand that it is a family vehicle, I see you frustration. I have a friend that works for MB. if I see him tonight, I'll ask if he has any information on the diesel situation. Last week he told me that I was confused about MB not offering new diesels right now. That it was just that they had the plant oversold on diesels so they were not taking any orders.

MB has stopped sale on any 2017 diesel passenger cars, which I imagine is fallout from Volkswagen's blunder. And sadly, they may just say the heck with it and never sell them here again.

So far nothing like that has been discussed with the Sprinters, since they are all GVWR 8500+ and do not have the same regs however I would not be surprised if MB is having to jump through extra hoops. There was a rumor about a 1.8L supercharged gasoline engine as the base engine here. I want no part of that. If I can't get a new diesel, I'll buy a used one. But right now nobody knows.

Ford is not taking orders for 2017 Transits right now (I called today just to check). But I really want a Sprinter, and the constant parade of them through our shop for normal service (mostly cargo vans) makes me jealous. :(

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
EPA's holding up diesel emissions certifications...

Which may explain why Ford isn't taking orders for 2017 Transits. I've read that most all the 2017 diesel models are being held up by the EPA, with the exception of Jaguar and maybe BMW.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Which may explain why Ford isn't taking orders for 2017 Transits. I've read that most all the 2017 diesel models are being held up by the EPA, with the exception of Jaguar and maybe BMW.
And Chevy. The Colorado and canyon diesels seem to be flying off the lots. Or maybe it's just that I want the longer bed and those are about as easy to find as a dodo bird.

oilhammer

TDI

Could be, who knows. In the mean time, we'll continue using our 1993 Eurovan. It performs pretty well, and other than the fact that it is very tight fitting both boys in and not having any additional rear seating, it gets the job done.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm surprised more vans are designed to ADA standards...

I've been out of the field for awhile, but IIRC ADA required a 52" door height and 30" width for paratransit vans. Even some of the full size vans can't meet that standard without floor or roof modifications. I've seen pictures of Transit Connects modified for paratransit use, required a ramp in back and cutting into the floor in back to extend that ramp and get the required 52" door height. Still less hassle than lowering the whole floor of a minivan and less cost than a Transit, but they end up with a capacity of only one wheelchair user unless they can transfer or have narrow 'chairs.

oilhammer

TDI
I have no interest in a hack job van. I've had to service plenty of those trainwreck abortions, would not own one.

At least my T4 remains 100% unmodified to accommodate the side lift, other than the holes drilled for the anchor points.

What I think a lot of people I talk to about this fail to realize is just how much extra space inside is needed for the lift itself, as even stowed it still takes up space, and how much space is needed for TWO wheelchair anchor points, as you still need to be able to maneuver around inside the van with them as my children are not operating the chairs themselves. Then I want more normal passenger space beyond just the front two seating positions I currently have.

There are only three vehicles that meet my requirements currently available for sale here: the Sprinter, the Transit, and the Promaster (Ducato).

I have thoroughly researched all three, and the Sprinter is easily the best choice for me. Now if they'd just build me the darn thing. :mad:

TwinTurboKen

TDI
04 Jetta 5-spd TDI
I'm sure the diesels will go up in value and sell like hotcakes the moment the oil companies decide to jack the prices of oil up again to where we see $5/gal prices again..and then once again diesels, hybrids, and old geo metros and vw diesel rabbits will be selling for a small fortune. Get ahead of the curve and get yours now! LOL

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Turn a switch and the price of oil goes up?

I'm sure the diesels will go up in value and sell like hotcakes the moment the oil companies decide to jack the prices of oil up again to where we see $5/gal prices again..and then once again diesels, hybrids, and old geo metros and vw diesel rabbits will be selling for a small fortune. Get ahead of the curve and get yours now! LOL
Ok so if the oil companies suddenly 'decide' to raise the price of oil then all the values of fuel efficient cars (light duty diesel, hybrids and EVs) will go up and the so called 'gas guzzlers' will go down in value pronto. So conservation goes up, oil consumption goes down and the oil companies and gas stations sell less oil and will make less money that way. Also the car companies selling bigger SUVs and trucks will loose a lot of money in profits.

Do you see this scenario happening suddenly or as you say 'the moment' because of unilateral action from the oil companies?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Yes, let me go find the switch that gets the oil prices to go up. Oh wait, I think it's in the Middle East or in Russia.:p

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Or some of us have 2 or more vehicles. I just bought a 2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 diesel limited edition for all my traveling/towing/people moving adventures. 342,000 one owner miles on it and runs like brand new! I also have my 2003 Beetle diesel for everything else. Best of both worlds!

Hopefully these 2 will last the rest of my life.

79jasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I like the excursions. Probably be one of our next vehicles.
Hopefully you know all about the 6.0 and can keep it alive. Not bad engines, just need some things "fixed" as they say "a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The 6.0 is a fantastic engine once it has had a little bit of work done to it. I miss mine.