Looks like Autoguide broke embargo on the 2017 Prius Prime

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
http://archive.is/3kylR - yes, that's an archive.is of a Google Cache.

After destination, MSRP ranges from $27,965 to $33,965. With an 8.8 kWh battery, it'll be eligible for a $4502 tax credit.

55 city, 53 highway, 25 mi all electric range.

Trim levels appear to be:

Plus: Similar to the 2017 Prius Three? Not sure about seating material (Three has cloth, not sure what this has), but otherwise looks about the same, at least based on this leak
Premium: Adds 11.6" screen, not sure about other features
Advanced: Adds JBL audio, parking assist, blind spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, heated steering wheel, remote climate control (I'd guess this works through Safety Connect, Toyota's OnStar equivalent)

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
(Yawn) :)

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Very good specs for the Prius Prime. My father will likely be deciding between it and a Bolt in the next few months.

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
Very good specs for the Prius Prime. My father will likely be deciding between it and a Bolt in the next few months.
I feel like the Chevy Volt, with its 53-mile EV range, has the Prius Prime beat. Why wouldn't he consider that? If he's considering a Bolt, then it's clearly not an issue with the manufacturer.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Prime looks like it'll be more efficient, though - somewhere on the order of 120-136 MPGe (depending on how they got from 22 to 25 mi AER) in CD mode, and 55/53 MPG in CS mode, versus 106 MPGe in CD mode, and 42 MPG combined (I forget how that's broken down) in CS mode.

Also, I can't speak for Lawson's father, but I personally really, really didn't like the Volt that I test drove for various reasons (outward visibility, the interior ergonomics didn't work for me, and I hated the suspension tuning).

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I feel like the Chevy Volt, with its 53-mile EV range, has the Prius Prime beat. Why wouldn't he consider that? If he's considering a Bolt, then it's clearly not an issue with the manufacturer.
The Volt's interior is too small to be practical for him. The tiny back seat space is a deal-breaker, unfortunately. He test drove a Volt a couple of weeks ago and really liked the way it drove, but that back seat...

The Prime's back seat isn't idea since it only seats four, but at least those four people can ride in comfort.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
I'm glad Toyota is finally putting usable EV range in some of their cars. The Prius with ~6 miles of range was kind of a joke.

Still curious as to why they chose not to put a plug on the Mirai. Seems like that would have been an obvious choice for a car that's already electric and has so few refueling options...

avid

TDI
2010 Jetta
Has a release date been set for NA? Last I read it had been delayed with no date for introduction set.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
The Mirai actually does have a CHAdeMO... For plug-out duties (as in using the Mirai as a home generator for when the power goes out).

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Prius Prime Pricing

Model # Grade MSRP** W/ Fed Credit
1235 Prius Prime Plus $27100 $22600
1237 Prius Prime Premium $28800 $24300
1239 Prius Prime Advanced $33100 $28600