We could just ignore the whole buyback thing

TedKurtz

TDI
97 Passat TDI
We have the option to do absolutely nothing; simply ignore the whole thing. I have checked with the EPA and the Court-appointed lead counsel for the plaintiffs in San Francisco. They both say that participation in the VW emissions-settlement class is optional. If we opt out our VW diesels would be treated like the thousands of earlier-model VW diesels that continue to operate in the USA. We could continue to use them as is.

The advantage would be that we would not have to spend a lot of money to replace the car that VW buys back. The disadvantage is that we would not receive any money from VW.

I really like my 2010 VW TDI Sportswagen and I haven't been able to find anything on the market that appeals to me anywhere near as much as my TDI does. The idea of getting a nice big cash payment is seductive. I expect that VW is not going to introduce new diesels into the USA. The removal of thousands of VW diesels from the market by the buy-back should have a positive effect on the market value of the remaining diesels. I vacillate. Fortunately I can vacillate for almost two more years before the decision deadline is reached.

earlyd

TDI
2009 JSW TDI
Get a new 2015 TDI

I have also been struggling with finding something that covers all the bases as my 2009 JSW, which I love. I've test driven the RAV4, Outback, Forester, gas Golf, eTron, and Prius V. Everything else (that I can afford) seems to fall short. Therefore, I plan to put a deposit on one of the new 2015 TDIs purchased by a local dealer, but were not sold due to the emission issue. Not sure of the final price yet. The dealer has been told there will be "generous" discounts, but no idea how much.

02TDIred

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta (225K, retired), 05 JSW (334K, retired) 2012 JSW, SEL Gone, 2016 GSW/TSI/6A
… Therefore, I plan to put a deposit on one of the new 2015 TDIs purchased by a local dealer, but were not sold due to the emission issue. Not sure of the final price yet. The dealer has been told there will be "generous" discounts, but no idea how much.
Month ago, left a deposit on a '15 JSW/TDI. May be off base, but the selling price for a two year old "new" car just might be close to the VW buy-out figure(s).

DancingDiesel

TDI
2011 JSW DSG
I have driven VW diesels since my 1984 Rabbit.
Very torn.
My 2011 JSW has 63K on it. I owe zilch. Love the car.
There really is Nothing At All that you can use to compare and purchase instead.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I have also been struggling with finding something that covers all the bases as my 2009 JSW, which I love. I've test driven the RAV4, Outback, Forester, gas Golf, eTron, and Prius V. Everything else (that I can afford) seems to fall short. Therefore, I plan to put a deposit on one of the new 2015 TDIs purchased by a local dealer, but were not sold due to the emission issue. Not sure of the final price yet. The dealer has been told there will be "generous" discounts, but no idea how much.
.....interestng

...... I will be getting $25,275 for the buyback - but only have ~ 2,900 ~ miles.

..... as the 2017 models will be here come Fall would need to buy one for less the the "FREE FIX" amount. -- then add some extra $$$$s (OFF) for the 2 year old nature of 2015 vs 2017

.... in other words, 'bout $15,000 for a "new" 2015 Golf DSG (S) out the door might work for me. :rolleyes:

Warranty will be an issue.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We have the option to do absolutely nothing; simply ignore the whole thing.
Yes, you do. I've been posting that here for months. Interesting that I'm seeing more and more posts from people having second thoughts about the buyback. I think the money looked good, until people started to figure out what limited replacement options they have along with the costs. VW is either going to have to pay for buying back cars, or providing a fix and then compensating owners, or pay a fine to the EPA if they don't meet their compliance targets. Wonder if they care what actually happens.

and 2015vwgolfdiesel, with 2900 miles on your car I would argue you already have a new one. Unless you want something different it really doesn't make any sense to replace yours.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
That, in fact, was my first reaction - I'm not going to do anything. But ~ $7000 to get the fix applied seems like such a windfall - it's hard to turn down. As it is - I'm not even considering the buyback - I'd end up with no car, and ~$9000 as a downpayment - not a great situation from my standpoint, because I REALLY like my 2015 Golf, and again - while not the wagon (which is what we REALLY wanted) - what else are you going to find that hits all the checkmarks ? And if an approved fix doesn't appear (fix on a 2015 is all but a slamdunk IMO) - no skin off my nose - as I was going to keep it stock originally anyway.

Last edited:

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
We have the option to do absolutely nothing; simply ignore the whole thing.
Yes, you can ignore this whole thing. But if you actually do nothing, i.e. neither register on the website nor formally opt out, you will still be included in the CAS, but will get nothing and nor can you sue since you will have given up your rights. Opting out requires the submittal of a signed letter to the claims supervisor by 16 Sep. Then you could still get the fix free if one becomes available and you wish to have it applied.

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn
Bigger question is if VW doesn't reach the 85% compliance number and has to start paying big fines for failing meet it, then what. Still waiting to see what the settlement will be with the second set of lawsuits that NY, Mass, Maryland AG's over the pollution diesels.

http://www.ag.ny.gov/press-release/...aley-maryland-ag-frosh-announce-suits-against

If the $$$$ gets to high or the chances of reaching their numbers is unrealistic, what can VW do? At what point does this whole thing become an exercise in cost versus profit and the numbers suggest no more diesels for US.

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
We have the option to do absolutely nothing; simply ignore the whole thing. I have checked with the EPA and the Court-appointed lead counsel for the plaintiffs in San Francisco. They both say that participation in the VW emissions-settlement class is optional. If we opt out our VW diesels would be treated like the thousands of earlier-model VW diesels that continue to operate in the USA. We could continue to use them as is.

The advantage would be that we would not have to spend a lot of money to replace the car that VW buys back. The disadvantage is that we would not receive any money from VW.

I really like my 2010 VW TDI Sportswagen and I haven't been able to find anything on the market that appeals to me anywhere near as much as my TDI does. The idea of getting a nice big cash payment is seductive. I expect that VW is not going to introduce new diesels into the USA. The removal of thousands of VW diesels from the market by the buy-back should have a positive effect on the market value of the remaining diesels. I vacillate. Fortunately I can vacillate for almost two more years before the decision deadline is reached.
Did you happen to get their reply in writing/email? or was this just a phone conversation. Because if you have it in writing/email then please make it available to the forum members.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Yes, it's always been a part of the settlement since it was published that any owner of a Dieselgatemobile can simply do nothing. And there are some protections written into the settlement that apply to any state that participates.
Personally, I have been well aware of this option from the outset, and we really like our '13 Passat TDI....but owning a car we bought new that has been rendered depreciation-proof for 5 1/2 years, then turn it in with 60-70K miles on it, for a few thousand less than we paid for it? I can't like any car that much. We're doing the buyback.

chargum

TDI
If you do "nothing", you do know that the EPA (and most definitely CARB) will prevent you from renewing the registration on affected vehicles unless they are repaired.

Your VIN will be blacklisted.

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
The settlement is not final until October. Until that time it can be changed for any number of reasons. So while a lot of people understand the agreement as it is proposed, we will not know the final proposal until October.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Almost anything I own would be sold if someone offered the right price.

On a 09 Jetta with almost 80,000 miles, more than half way through a set of tires, which will soon need a 80K miles scheduled maintenance including DSG, and a set of shocks within a year, $14,875 is the right price.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
I agree with all of you have chosen the ignore it option or are leaning in that direction. That was my position until I read some of the knowledgeable doom and gloom predictors describing the probable failure of the expensive dpf-cat converter unit in my '09 and the expense of replacing it along with the timing belt replacement and dsg service that is in my near future.

I love the car but frankly, to me, VW's offer is too generous to turn down in light of the near future predicted expenses of keeping an old car with 112k miles.

But I'm staying with TDI! I don't want to drive anything but a turbo-diesel.

I have absolutely no regrets and no hard feelings toward VW for anything. To me it's a non issue. But I'm going to say farewell to my much loved VW TDI when VW is ready.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
If you do "nothing", you do know that the EPA (and most definitely CARB) will prevent you from renewing the registration on affected vehicles unless they are repaired.
No, they won't, as has been discussed ad nauseum. The settlements explicitly prohibit states who take any money from the settlements (which is at least 45 so far) from refusing registration to Dieselgatemobiles. Please do some research.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I don't know how long this link will remain good but it's a 2015 GSW TDI. 12,500 miles for $23,997. Obviously it could be bought for less. $23,000?

I'm going to get $20,200 for my 2012 JSW TDI with 80,000 miles. Now granted what will things be like in 2-2 months? I don't know but I would be foolish to not consider moving up 3 years, cutting 68,000 miles for an extra $3k (plus tax)

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/673380556/overview/

Or I could go a year older and pocket 10K

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/672404533/overview/

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Why don't you ask JIM2321 what happened when he erroneausly asserted that ?

Better yet - go READ THIS THREAD and the relevant parts of the settlement ?
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=465884

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW 6MT ;2011 JSW (buy-back May 2017)
Boring/expensive DSG on both. And the '11, you'd be facing the 80k mile DSG service. 2-3 years from now, a timing belt.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Timing belts are routine maintenance (well - every so often - but they ARE scheduled maintenace).

Been driving cars with timing belts that needed replacement for almost 30 years now....

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Absolutely nothing. But then the final settlement has not be done, so until then it is all hyperbole by everyone. Come 10/18, pending any delays we will know definitely.

Yeah - after several responses that you were wrong AND then someone showed you exactly where in the settlement that you were wrong.

I would be HIGHLY surprised if the settlement changes much on that section.

I'd pretty much consider it finalized (maybe some details might change).

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner

Please cite source(s).

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I read that CA is on board with letting people opt out and still allowing the gen1 TDI to stay on the road. Definitely seems like a viable option.

However, I was forced to get the 23O6 recall. I'm actually curious about what the fix will be. If the fix comes with new emissions equipment and an extended warranty, plus money?.... I am leaning towards a fix, since my TDI will have 80,000 miles on it by 2018.

If I was in a non-smog state, I'd probably just opt out. However, if I was in a non-carb state, I probably would've avoided the 23O6 recall and kept driving. Since my car has the mysterious 23O6, I'm interested to hear about the fix and long term results.

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah - after several responses that you were wrong AND then someone showed you exactly where in the settlement that you were wrong.

I would be HIGHLY surprised if the settlement changes much on that section.

I'd pretty much consider it finalized (maybe some details might change).

I would not be surprised if somethings you have been stating change, but I have tag this reply. So come 10/18 we can compare what you said and what did happen. Its nice your hopefully that the settlement is pretty much a done deal.

solman1

TDI
14 Jetta TDI-DSG-Prem.
I test drove a few cars recently, Mazda 3 6spd hatchback, Jetta sport and Golf 1.8 S. None could meet the TDI for performance and mileage qualities in a combined package . I still enjoy driving the car so I thought to just keep my car (14 Jetta ) but opted in for the repair. I will wait on the repair I don't need to be the first one testing guinea pig. I will see what negative aspects people report. If the repair update is a no go, I can change my mind I'm pretty sure and just do nothing or sell the car back.
I like the car and it cannot be easily replaced for the money I have into it.

Last edited:

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Boring/expensive DSG on both. And the '11, you'd be facing the 80k mile DSG service. 2-3 years from now, a timing belt.
I'm O.K. with my DSG and I've had zero problems with it. The truth is I still really like my car.

So it costs me a couple hundred in 8000 miles (I can do the 80K myself) and a little in a few years. I pocketed 10K.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I read the GSW has significantly less road noise than our 2012s. They also have a little less cargo space but more cabin space. The newer model would have the dual climate control but still the horrid MDI. You get a lot more warranty with the newer model. It might also be the last TDI wagen we get in the US.

I'd go for the newer model myself.

Leeshepard

TDI
2015 a3

Why would you want to do nothing? If you get the fix you get $7000 and a 120,000/10 year (from original date of purchase) or 48,000 mile/4 year (from date of fix), whichever is greater, warranty on basically the entire emissions system including "all fuel pumps" (i.e. including the HPFP). That's a lot for a modest decrease in performance and mileage.