Millions of Volkswagens have a vulnerability where the car can be unlocked by hackers

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
A brick or hammer to smash a window is much easier to get !

PeeWee

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 97 Passat Sedan
Lets not give the "thieves" any ideas. Says I after two break ins one smashed drivers side window and one busted door lock :eek:

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Just read the article, wow. Imagine having to replace all the Kessy systems. Awesome.

Wasn't there another vechile that this was done too, a Nissan i think?

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
LOL... can't.
It's in a Toyota dealership right now....
Some bugger hit the front end, i think the repair costs are over 5 grand now. ACC sensor, front gril, tranny intercooler.
Yeah.
That is taking way too long for such a repair

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I got a chuckle out of listening to a news piece about this the other night. No one is going to actually go through the trouble to do this to break into a VW (a cheapskates vehicle) to steal a $h1tty used Garmin GPS, 10+ year old golf clubs from someones trunk, a dime bag of pot from a stoners center console, etc. I won't be losing any sleep over this...

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
As long as it's not white. Wasn't my choice on white, but my wife loved it. Give me a black or a dark colour and i'm good.
My former 2002 Jetta's color was silver and you could go days/weeks without washing it. Very forgiving color.

When I bought the 2015 Passat I had three choices at 3 different VW dealers, black in Sault Ste.Marie, burgundy in Oakville and white in London.

Black looks fantastic right out of the car-wash. Burgundy about the same, that was the color of my choice though, but because the price dropped several thousand dollars on the white Passat, that's the one I bought.

I have to say the white is as good as silver for staying clean looking much longer and I'm very happy with it.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
No one is stealing a TDI any more,just leave it unlocked with the keys in it. Good way to get a buy back via insurance co.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
No one is stealing a TDI any more,just leave it unlocked with the keys in it. Good way to get a buy back via insurance co.
My old MKIV didn't lock. The door lock was shot, and the battery in the key fob was done. I could have left it running and no one wanted it. I miss that car.

The treg, yeah I lock that.