The settlement as proposed is complete BS

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I have to admit that getting the trade value for the car instead of the retail value is a disappointment. That's also compounded by the fact that you can't actually trade the car. You essential sell the car back and then have to pay tax on the full purchase price for the new car. As a result, you lose a bit on each part of the transaction. That does bother me. ...
Is that really a given? I am still hoping there might be a way around it, but it seems that indeed one is selling back to one entity (VWoA), and buying a new (or used) car including full sales tax from another entity (VW dealer). That would really suck, to the tune of $2000-$3000.

.... Hopefully I'll be lucky. My car was pretty good so far. I also still like it very much. It's fun to drive and gets good mpg.
That's also what I am hoping. But the additional financial risk before the buyback (or fix) happens is a real risk, and averaged over enough owners amounts to a real financial loss for us, and gain for VW, that goes beyond the normal operating risk of a car, and should be covered by VW.

Similarly, if you opt out and decide to just keep driving the car. As I wrote in another thread, it's all good and well if nothing bad happens, but you don't get any compensation. [ The following copied from another post of mine:] If you then later (after June 2018) get in an accident and have your car declared totaled at a much reduced value, or due to unforeseen circumstances you are forced to sell it earlier than anticipated, you are going to realize a pretty large loss due to the fraud committed by VW on you, without any recourse at that point.

Doing nothing puts the full risk of having to actually realize your car's reduced value -reduced due to VW's actions- on you. If nothing bad happens, you are ok. But given the large number of cars involved a significant number of owners will end up losing money when their car is totaled, or they are otherwise forced to sell earlier than they planned, a damage that VW caused and should have compensated them for. So, no, doing nothing is not a good option, given the devaluation due to Dieselgate and the non-zero risk that you will have to realize that loss.

That's why I think the settlement as proposed and preliminary approved is deficient.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
..... nothing puts the full risk of having to actually realize your car's reduced value -reduced due to VW's actions- on you. If nothing bad happens, you are ok..........

That's why I think the settlement as proposed and preliminary approved is deficient.
The FAIREST thing would be if you decided to keep your car VW would pay 1/2 of the buy back restitution amount to those who did to cover the FRAUD aspect

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
The FAIREST thing would be if you decided to keep your car VW would pay 1/2 of the buy back restitution amount to those who did to cover the FRAUD aspect
if more than a specified number of people keep their cars, VW pays $25k per car in fines. They defrauded the government, not the buyer. By keeping the car and going without the fix, you're saying you liked the fraud.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
They defrauded the government, not the buyer.

You only have that half correct.

The buyer was defrauded. The buyers were being told they were buying a legal, compliant car. A "clean" diesel, no less.

The cars were not legal, or clean (in the sense presented).

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
You only have that half correct.

The buyer was defrauded. The buyers were being told they were buying a legal, compliant car. A "clean" diesel, no less.

The cars were not legal, or clean (in the sense presented).
Anyone that's looking to not get the fix done has given up the right to whine about that.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
if more than a specified number of people keep their cars, VW pays $25k per car in fines. They defrauded the government, not the buyer. By keeping the car and going without the fix, you're saying you liked the fraud.
The other case would be for the gen 1 owners, where there may be no approved fix, yet there was a loss in value.

I want the fix, I need the car to be used for the time span I bought it for, As selling at 2-4 years makes no sense. It makes sense to those that have 09-12, they are 4-6 years old, they spread taxes and year 1 depreciation over many more years, so the hit is far less. The only way for me to spread this year 1 hit out, is to get the fix and drive past the 2018 cutoff for the trade in. Some will get 9 years from the car at the time of trade in, I can at best get to 3.5, so perspectives are certainly different.

Were I compensated for the loss in value, I'd be happy, that's the owner compensation. Were no fix to become available, I guess I'll be opting out in 2018, then suing for the owner compensation, although I'd certainly prefer that the 13-14 owners be allowed the owner compensation immediately if the fix is not approved, without having to wait out another year.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
The other case would be for the gen 1 owners, where there may be no approved fix, yet there was a loss in value.

I want the fix, I need the car to be used for the time span I bought it for, As selling at 2-4 years makes no sense. It makes sense to those that have 09-12, they are 4-6 years old, they spread taxes and year 1 depreciation over many more years, so the hit is far less. The only way for me to spread this year 1 hit out, is to get the fix and drive past the 2018 cutoff for the trade in. Some will get 9 years from the car at the time of trade in, I can at best get to 3.5, so perspectives are certainly different.

Were I compensated for the loss in value, I'd be happy, that's the owner compensation. Were no fix to become available, I guess I'll be opting out in 2018, then suing for the owner compensation, although I'd certainly prefer that the 13-14 owners be allowed the owner compensation immediately if the fix is not approved, without having to wait out another year.
I'm not sure how you're not being compensated for loss of value. The buyback on my '14 beetle convertible with 70k miles on it is right at what I paid for it. If I keep it, I get $6k, and it sure looks like there will be an approved fix.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
I think you're pretty far off base, here. The buyer was defrauded and fears what VW might have up their sleeve next.

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
I'm not sure how you're not being compensated for loss of value. The buyback on my '14 beetle convertible with 70k miles on it is right at what I paid for it. If I keep it, I get $6k, and it sure looks like there will be an approved fix.
Why do people continue to make the mistake of comparing their deal to that of others. I just don't get what's so hard to understand. A lot of people aren't getting their money back after a good amount of usage like you. People with newer cars especially are finding the deal luke warm when the car still feels new and your faced with losing a few grand or taking a fix with yet unknown consequences and no firm deadline. Many people who bought cars in 2015 are smacked with an offer that puts them a few grand in the hole when they haven't even hit their second service interval yet. My car for instance looks, smells, drives, and feels brand new. It has just had its second service recently and I'm about to change the wiper blades for the first time tonight. If I take the buy back I lose a chunk of change and pay absurd taxes twice in a row. That would be fine and fair if I walked into a dealership on my own in a world without dieselgate and traded in a new car but VW used that trade-in value to their benefit. Not the worst deal ever but certainly luke warm and no major windfall for many people.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Why do people continue to make the mistake of comparing their deal to that of others. I just don't get what's so hard to understand. A lot of people aren't getting their money back after a good amount of usage like you. People with newer cars especially are finding the deal luke warm when the car still feels new and your faced with losing a few grand or taking a fix with yet unknown consequences and no firm deadline. Many people who bought cars in 2015 are smacked with an offer that puts them a few grand in the hole when they haven't even hit their second service interval yet. My car for instance looks, smells, drives, and feels brand new. It has just had its second service recently and I'm about to change the wiper blades for the first time tonight. If I take the buy back I lose a chunk of change and pay absurd taxes twice in a row. That would be fine and fair if I walked into a dealership on my own in a world without dieselgate and traded in a new car but VW used that trade-in value to their benefit. Not the worst deal ever but certainly luke warm and no major windfall for many people.
Maybe the main reason I am happy is because I negotiated for a nice price up front.

And that I plan to do the BB late in the year 2018.

Milking the vw cash cow ~~ wonder if there will be any gravy regarding the 85% completion "THANG" and the possibility of different dealer(s) wanting a really low miles, garage kept, pristine condition car, at the buy back time. :D

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
ya... no ****... Kudos to those who'll make back their purchase cost... but I'm not near that ballpark... and I don't have a ton of miles on my '11.

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
I have to admit that getting the trade value for the car instead of the retail value is a disappointment. That's also compounded by the fact that you can't actually trade the car. You essential sell the car back and then have to pay tax on the full purchase price for the new car. As a result, you lose a bit on each part of the transaction. That does bother me.
How is trading in a car any different than making a nice down payment? You pay the tax on the full purchase price either way, don't you?

But if that's not the case in your state, you could always get the fix, get the money from VW for doing that, and then trade in your fixed car in a normal trade.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
How is trading in a car any different than making a nice down payment? You pay the tax on the full purchase price either way, don't you?
In many states, no, you don't. If you trade in a car, the trade-in value is deducted from the new car's purchase price for tax purposes, and you just pay tax on the difference.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
because he also has a 2014 beetle.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW (GoneBack) - replaced with '15 Azera and '16 Fiat 500e.
In many states, no, you don't. If you trade in a car, the trade-in value is deducted from the new car's purchase price for tax purposes, and you just pay tax on the difference.
While true in many states, realize that this case was primarily handled in CA, where that is NOT the case - you purchase a car, you pay sales tax on the purchase price - it doesn't matter how you pay for it (cash, loan, trade, or a combination).

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
I don't even own a VW anymore but here are my thoughts...

You bought the VW based on VW's advertised specs. You got a car, loved, it and found out later that it spews a bit more pollution than advertised.

VW is now paying you the above average compensation to give the car back to them or will pay you once you get it fixed.

If your car needs major repairs or is totalled then the cost to repair is borne by you or your insurance company - that's life whether VW is buying back the car or not. Suck it up buttercup...

You don't need compensation...you bought the car, you drove the car, you loved the car, it performs exactly the way you wanted it to. (You did test drive it and loved it right??). Yes, you are slightly polluting more than advertised but did you buy the car because it pollutes less than other cars out there - if so you may have a minor case for compensation. If you bought the car for fuel economy - you got it.

They are giving you a big buyout since they have to reduce the fuel economy to make the car EPA compliant. If VW didn't doctor the numbers originally, you would never have bought the car, therefore you would be in the same boat as you are in now when you sell the car back - trying to find a fuel efficient, low polluting car.

This whole VW mess has delayed you buying a $20,000 more expensive car a few years ago to buying one now. VW has given you a few years grace by being fraudulent...suck it up buttercup.

It seems like VW drivers (maybe all drivers) of today are just feeling a little bit too entitled...you gotta wonder if you are the reason why your kids are entitled too.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Good thing you don't get to decide...

More generally speaking, I think the thread and this forum in general would be better off without all these borderline ad hominem posts (here it's just the comparatively mild 'buttercup', but the spectrum on the forum has stretched all the way to 'scumbag'), typically accompanied by trying to sell opinion as fact ('you don't need...', 'you did...').

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
I am completely unhappy with my amount. The VW dealer sold me a used 2013 Passat 9/19/2015. Now in the formulas I am being penalized 10% because the dealer did not tell me anything! They did not sell it to me as a certified pre-owned. I paid what the car was worth, I did not get any special discounts. There is virtually no compensation in this deal. Had the scandal not happened I would not sell my car for this amount even with the restitution. There is no other car to compete with it for MPG and range without spending 50k.
They are offering me $16500 for my car including the restitution and it is in like new condition and perfectly maintained. This is only $13700 for the car. Why are we only getting clean trade in value?? I sell most of my cars myself and would never take that low for a TDI before this. This is my 5th TDI and one of the reasons I bought most of them new was the resale was too high to justify buying a used one over a new one.
I am also getting screwed because I bought a 2013 brand new and the only reason I bought this used one is because my car got T-boned by a diesel truck right before I bought this one. So, I get nothing for that car and barely break even on this one with nothing else to buy without spending a ton more money just when this one is almost paid off. I will only owe $1000 by the time they buy it back.
The only alternatives are $40-50,000 if you still want a diesel. There is not really an older TDI option either. They are all too small in the back seat and most of anything used are junked up turds. The Jetta's have smaller tanks which sucks for range. I hate going to the station and I drive a lot. I actually traded my 2012 Jetta for the 2013 Passat after only having it for a year. The Passat was better in many ways with no penalty in MPG, in fact it rated 1mpg higher.
What sucks worse is I was looking at all the calculators and charts and it seemed as if I was going to get $21-24k. I was okay with that, but now what is actually coming out with the real calculator, is much lower.
You can bet the dealer will be getting an ear full about not telling me or stopping the sale of this car the next day after they got a cease sale order on the CPO's and new cars! I was actually looking around desperately for the few nights around this time and even pricing new ones because I had no car.

Last edited:

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn
I am completely unhappy with my amount. The VW dealer sold me a used 2013 Passat 9/19/2015. Now in the formulas I am being penalized 10% because the dealer did not tell me anything! They did not sell it to me as a certified pre-owned. I paid what the car was worth, I did not get any special discounts. There is virtually no compensation in this deal. Had the scandal not happened I would not sell my car for this amount even with the restitution. There is no other car to compete with it for MPG and range without spending 50k.
They are offering me $16500 for my car including the restitution and it is in like new condition and perfectly maintained. This is only $13700 for the car. Why are we only getting clean trade in value?? I sell most of my cars myself and would never take that low for a TDI before this. This is my 5th TDI and one of the reasons I bought most of them new was the resale was too high to justify buying a used one over a new one.
I am also getting screwed because I bought a 2013 brand new and the only reason I bought this used one is because my car got T-boned by a diesel truck right before I bought this one. So, I get nothing for that car and barely break even on this one with nothing else to buy without spending a ton more money just when this one is almost paid off. I will only owe $1000 by the time they buy it back.
The only alternatives are $40-50,000 if you still want a diesel. There is not really an older TDI option either. They are all too small in the back seat and most of anything used are junked up turds. The Jetta's have smaller tanks which sucks for range. I hate going to the station and I drive a lot. I actually traded my 2012 Jetta for the 2013 Passat after only having it for a year. The Passat was better in many ways with no penalty in MPG, in fact it rated 1mpg higher.
What sucks worse is I was looking at all the calculators and charts and it seemed as if I was going to get $21-24k. I was okay with that, but not what is actually coming out now with the real calculator.
You can bet the dealer will be getting an ear full about not telling me or stopping the sale of this car the next day after they got a cease sale order on the CPO's and new cars! I was actually looking around desperately for the few nights around this time and even pricing new ones because I had no car.
While I understand your frustration, have you looked at CPO BMW 328d, or MB Bluetec. Even non CPO you should be able to find a good solid one (please have an independt mechanic check it before buying). Both should address your mpg, and ride issues.

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
Those are actually the two I have looked at a tiny bit. Not crazy about either one due to being more expensive cars & more expensive parts, and I think the BMW may be smaller. Not sure about the Mercedes.
I really just wanted to have this car and have it be paid for. In my opinion for me, there is no better car. It has all the things I need for the commute and fitting the family. We cannot even take my wife Prius anywhere because it is too small to fit everyone with two car seats and a teen in the middle.
I don't need anything fancier or with a prestigious badge either. I have other vehicles for recreational driving. This is just my comfortable driving, good MPG, less gas station visits car to get me through my commute and perform its' utilitarian functions.
Keeping it would just be silly though with all the future hassles and tanked values, most likely lower performance and MPG or more Urea use, etc. Time to bail. They just should be offering a better deal. I know that may sound whiny to some, but I will be wasting my time trying to find another car to meet my needs and yes I will end up having to buy something that costs me more out of pocket and probably has less of what I need. I feel there really is no compensation. Your just getting rid of the car and nothing for your hassle.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Money is made the day you buy it

yeah yeah ~~ vw sucks

as far as the buyback regarding individuales ~~ Happy:D ~~ POed:mad:

If a person shopped hard on the buy date ~~ like 16% off of MSRP ~~ those guys (mostly) can't be hurt.

If a person paid MSRP or a premium over MSRP ~~ they might be a little messed over.

Bought mine out of state. $4,000 off of MSRP ~~ but had to pay a $500 delivery. But still it was 16% under retail.

Replace my 2003 GSL Golf 5 manual with a TDI because the TDI had better MPG & TORQUE, but mainly because the resale value was outstanding, compared to a gasser.

guess by accident, TDIs realy do have better resale :D ~~ soooooo thanks vw for your nasty cheating:rolleyes:

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn
Why not just keep the car?
Valid point, there is nothing saying you have to day one sell it back. If your mileage is reasonable, you by your number at the end get some at least what you pay for it, plus some pocket change

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
Diminished value at least for a good while to come. They will only give me $2800 for keeping it. It will surely be affected negatively in some way by whatever fix they end up with. There is no penalty free fix. It will either lose performance, fuel economy, or consume more adblue.
They will also be forever more closely scrutinized by the government which already over reaches into everything.
Might take the money and do something else with it.....
There are more options and less risk to just selling it. I am getting tired of all this Adblue and DPF on everything. I have a diesel truck also. I just had to put a new Adblue heater in my mother in-laws 2013 Passat with 70k on it. Buying new diesels is just getting too expensive. The EPA has crippled them. They never consider how much pollution it takes to make all these extra parts, keep replacing them, refine the extra fuel, shortening the engine life (EGR and PCV dumping back in) etc. etc. They only look at what comes out of the tailpipe at the end of the chain.
I might just go back to gas to increase reliability, lower initial cost, etc. I love diesels, but when you put it on paper, they are getting too hard to own. The trucks are really suffering. Luckily stuff can fall off those and no one seems to care.

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
Valid point, there is nothing saying you have to day one sell it back. If your mileage is reasonable, you by your number at the end get some at least what you pay for it, plus some pocket change
That is another thing that is ticking me off. My mileage goes up more than they allow, so I will get even more screwed the longer I keep it. I drive about 2200 miles a month. I am going to have to drive my truck some days to keep the mileage down. Now you can imagine how much more expensive that is going to be in a modded Crew Cab Diesel with 35's doing 100 mile a day commutes.
I am starting to think about buying something else now before the big rush and just parking the dang thing until the check comes. Highly aggravating.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
I imagine it's going to cost you more than the $75 extra in depreciation to drive the pickup (there's some irony there, too, if you're offended by what vw's done, btw).

Cars are an expense, not an investment. Sometimes **** happens, and you lose a little more or a little less over the ownership period of a vehicle.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Cleaver:)

If your question is directled to me...............

More than a little disgruntled with the vw company moral compass, and lack of trustworthiness.

Lie a little Lie a lot.

With the wind fall of $4,780 (APPROX) I can move on, and up grade one or two model years.

..... and gain (APPROX) a $31,500 (retail) new car where mine was $24,895

vw is offering (up to) $6,000 off on 2016 Passat

Camry dealers are gunning at $5,250 off. LOCALLY.

These are gassers, but I see some new Tech, I would like to have. Like rear view screen; and variable CRUZ. My poor 2015 Golf TDI does not even have TINT.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
So, if you sell the car back, you have to buy something equivalent or better which sounds like you are going to spend quite a bit more

Or

If you keep it, you will only get $2,600 back and the car won't be as good on fuel, or the performance may suffer with the fix. But you still have a car that won't cost you anything other than when you sell it in the future (at a more diminished value). But at that time you will also have to fork out a lot more money (BMW, etc) to get an equivalent car.

Or

Don't fix the car, drive it as it is now, and sell it to someone else down the road - who can then get the recall done...

Option 3 sounds good to me if I really really really like my car or take the money now and move to gasser with much less headaches. Torque is awesome, but HP comes in a close second...(yeah yeah, not quite the perfect comparison, but hopefully you get my point)

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
Cleaver:)

If your question is directled to me...............

More than a little disgruntled with the vw company moral compass, and lack of trustworthiness.

Lie a little Lie a lot.

With the wind fall of $4,780 (APPROX) I can move on, and up grade one or two model years.

..... and gain (APPROX) a $31,500 (retail) new car where mine was $24,895

vw is offering (up to) $6,000 off on 2016 Passat

Camry dealers are gunning at $5,250 off. LOCALLY.

These are gassers, but I see some new Tech, I would like to have. Like rear view screen; and variable CRUZ. My poor 2015 Golf TDI does not even have TINT.
My point exactly...

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
I imagine it's going to cost you more than the $75 extra in depreciation to drive the pickup (there's some irony there, too, if you're offended by what vw's done, btw).

Cars are an expense, not an investment. Sometimes **** happens, and you lose a little more or a little less over the ownership period of a vehicle.
I have no idea what the extra depreciation will be. How did you calculate $75? How do I know it won't be more?
The root of the problem is with the regulators and big oil. VW should not have had to do this in the first place to get us these cars. We should be getting Polo's and diesel Mini's and all the other cars. This Hybrid stuff is a joke. Yeah, what they did was wrong, but you almost have to give them credit for finding a way to get us these cars when big oil, lobbyist and moron politicians would try to keep them away all together and have us burn even more fuel with no diesel options.
Keeping the car is not really on my radar at this point. I am ready to wash my hands of it given the options they have provided. I might have considered keeping it if the restitution was more in line. As usual the lawyers are probably getting all the money and our government is certainly getting a nice bonus. How did they suffer? Why not take that money they are getting and evenly divide it among every citizen of the United States since we all breath the air. It is all corrupt in my opinion.
I am not happy my situation made me buy a used one anyway. It had the turbo replaced before I bought it and smelled like smoke that took forever to get rid of. How long before I am paying for that heater fix in the ad blue tank that should be covered under emissions warranty and it isn't? I just recently did that fix on another car and was blown away dealers are getting away with charging people 1k to do it. My blower motor is squealing too. I am just ready to move on to something else I think. I hate to go back to gas cars, but I am getting more and more irritated by all this extra crap they do to gimp the diesels.
I honestly would not buy a VW if not for the TDI, so this has kinda killed off my loyalty to buying anything VW unless they bring something new to the table in the future.

I agree and know all about the investment aspect.... I do a lot with cars and have owned tons of them, everything from $300 cars to a Ferrari. The best method I have found in the past for myself and my daily driver is to buy something somewhat unique and used at the bottom of the depreciation curve, drive it about a year and then do it again. This has yielded the least loss and even no loss or a profit. I tend to stay away from dealers and sell my own stuff. The only reason I bought new TDI's is because the used ones were either used up or held their value too well.

I am not necessarily losing on this deal as much as I feel like I am being hassled with no real compensation. I would have been happier if this scandal never happened. The compensation aspect should be easing that feeling. It is not. I was fine with it when I thought I was getting more and would actually be better off in the end. Now it is like getting nothing for my time being bothered with it....
Maybe I will just buy a sports car instead since I now have the truck that I can use to haul the family. 95% of my driving is me alone in the car. Also, I am getting ready to build another house. Maybe I will just take this money and start on that. Like I said...more options to just get rid of it.

Last edited: